Cannondale Rush Carbon 3 XC Full Suspension

• Spokes: DT Competition
  • Pedals: Crank Bros. Egg Beater

Submitted by TrailRush a Weekend Warrior from jib_ford@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    It is such a Beautiful carbon frame(Black with Blue and white) and is well designed. Cannondale SI equipment is tops. Low maintenance single pivot rear suspension with the excellent Fox RP23 air shock. I cant detect any pedal induced bobbing with ehe Pro pedel engaged when riding up hills or on flat surfaces.
This bike goes exactly where you point it and fast. I am not the fastest rider and am overtaken in the strights however once I am in tristy trails I catch and pass everyone I ride with. I just rode a 50 mile race and had no pain after the ride and I am 51 years old. What a bike. The LBS has been very good to work with and has supported me with the issuse I have had for the most part.

Weaknesses:    The Lefty DLR2 speed fork isn't the plushest fork I have used, it is still good however I replaced it with the Fox RLC carbon, WOW WOW WOW what a fork. Very plush. Root that I braced for before are not even noticed.
Sun-Ringle (SR) rear Hub. The bike started creaking and the LOB could not figure it out. Turned out to be the freewheel bearing coming apart. SR sent a replacement at no charge and that corrected the issue except after hard long use then it starts again. Goes away overnight.
Avid juicy rear brake has rub the rotor from day one. LOB has adjusted it many times however it would start rubbing when you started riding. Avid is sending a replacement

Bottom Line:
Even with the issues I have had they are not due to the Cannondale design or their parts. All the Cannondale parts have performed fantastic. This bike is easy to ride and I feel very confident riding fast on it. If you want a performance bike that you can ride/race all weekend and be fit to go to work on Monday this is the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Ocala,FL

Purchased At:   Bicycle & etc.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic with brain tech

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of: Easton XC Carbon bars, Fox 110 CM RLC Carbon lefty fork, Crank Bros Mallet pedals

Submitted by jayspike a Cross Country Rider from F-Town, Misery, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Strengths:    This thing can handle any cross country trail and make almost every rider look like a stud...yes even me;)

Weaknesses:    Handle bars a little wide for tight single track.
Tires suck in the mud!
Low bottom bracket will take some time to get used too.

Bottom Line:
This bike gives me so much confidence on all the downhill sections...I noticed that I have been riding alot more often with my new rig. RIDE or DIE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluff

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Big Shark

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Killer V900

Bike Setup:   Stock out of box for now.

Submitted by Bird a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is an incredible climber which i was looking for.
Had no idea that lefties were that stiff.
Beautiful carbon frame.

Weaknesses:    Did'nt care for the stock seat,put a Rocket V on it.
Really wide bars,cut them down to 26" and all is well.
Avids are big squealers for sure.

Bottom Line:
Very satisfied with the performance of this bike especially for a bike this comfortable.
I'm equally impressed with its low speed handling on single track.
I've got over 200 miles on it and would buy another carbon rush tomorrow.
I'm 6.0 and the large fits to perfection.
With my long legs its paramount i have a bike with a low BB for enhanced handling.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   Have owned several XC bikes over the years and currently have a Stumperjumper Elite FS.

Bike Setup:   Ergon grips and Wtb saddle,rest is stock.

Submitted by runnermatt a Cross Country Rider from Mineral, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Bike rides great. Cannondale did an excellent job of eliminating pedal bob despite it being a single pivot design because I never noticed it although this is my first full suspension bike. I like the Avid Juicy 7 brakes, great modulation and stopping power. The Maxxis Crossmark tires while not providing absolute traction most people are looking for they do break away progressively allowing the rider to recover or control most slides. Some riders complained about the Fizik seat on previous Rush models but I actually kinda like it. The Fox RP23 shock and the Lefty Speed DLR2 both work quite well and one of the nice things about the lefty is that the lockout and rebound adjustment are almost level with the handlebars so the rider doesn't have to reach down to make changes while riding.

Weaknesses:    First the simple problem. The handle bars are too wide. I would recommend checking the width before you leave the shop and have them cut them down so you don't have to go back later. My current biggest complaint is that my Lefty fork is leaking shock oil from the bottom the leg where the air valve to add or remove air from the fork is. Typically one would expect a fork or shock to leak at the seals where it compresses but this is not the case because the shock oil is not running down the side of the fork to the bottom leg. I already had the shop I purchased the bike from send it back for warranty repairs and it came back still leaking. Just to make sure I wiped off all of the oil I could a few days ago and checked it again today, still leaking. I'm going to take it back to the shop again to have them send it off again, but if it comes back leaking again I'm going to have the shop sell it and start looking at other brands again. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research before I bought the bike and later it appears Cannondale has a recall of several models every year. The bike still rides great, but if you can't ride the bike because it is in the shop then what is the point in having it.

Bottom Line:
The Cannondale Rush 3 Carbon is a great riding bike. It handles smoothly and despite feeling like you are driving a truck with the extra wide handle bars it is never an issue on the trail. It might be a problem on really tight technical trails, but I expect it won't be an issue for most. Other than that there is the problem I've had with the Lefty leaking shock oil. If I hadn't been having that problem I would love the bike, but what is the point in having a bike if you can't ride it because it had to be sent back twice for the same warranty repair. Oh yeah and if you think I'm abusing the bike I've only had the opportunity to ride it twice and I haven't had a chance to ride it since it came back from the first repair.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   The Bike Stop, Culpe

Submitted by mcmoo a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Beautiful carbon frame with well designed suspension front and rear. Low maintenance single pivot rear sus with the excellent Fox RPL2 air shock. I cant detect any pedal induced bobbing when riding up hills, even on full travel setting.
Lefty DLR2 fork. The best all round-fork I have ever used. It isn't the plushest fork I have tried (still good), but it is the best at steering and braking. It goes exactly where you point it. Lefty concept is still a masterpiece of design and engineering and never fails to turn heads.
UST tubeless tyres: I have (touch wood) never had a puncture on this bike.

Weaknesses:    The first thing I changed on my Rush were the tyres. It came with Maxxis Crossmark tyres, which I have to admit are pretty good on dry hard pack, and are really efficient on tarmac, but are useless at everything else! I found that the rear would spin out on wet grass, never mind mud. Steering was also non existent. Anyway I changed them to Maxxis ignitors and am quite happy with the way they perform.
Avid juicy 7 brakes: good in the dry, but squeal like crazy in the wet. I have to drag the brakes frequently to keep them hot in order to work in wet conditions.
Bottom bracket height: It is low on the Rush, pedal strikes are very easy and chainrings tend to hit logs that other bikes can clear.
FSA bottom bracket: the bearings in mine failed after 7 months use, seals are not the best.
FSA afterburner cranks: paint comes off cranks very easy.
Swingarm/Chainstay: With the chain in the smallest gear, it gets very close to the swingarm. Chain can hit it quite easy while riding. The dedicated cannondale chainstay protector does fix this problem, but it doesn't come as standard with the bike.
Computer mount: you need a special adaptor kit to fit a cycle computer sensor to the lefty fork.

Bottom Line:
The best trail bike I have ever ridden. Cannondale have produced another classic design. The frame and fork are fantastic. I was a bit cautious about the lefty + carbon frame combination at first, but it quickly proved that it would take everything I pointed it at. My medium framed Rush weighs in at 27 Ibs, but with some component upgrades it can be made much lighter, afterall it is the same frame as used on the £4000 model.
It is very stable at speed, and is agile when it comes to dodging trees. The low bottom bracket and stand over height make it great on twisty trails, but the flip side is that the pedals can strike objects very easily. This does take a bit of getting use to.
It is not the type of bike I would use for jumping or hammering down stairs, but it is awesome at riding up and down mountains.

Favorite Trail:   Cody, Wales

Purchased At:   Wheelbase, England

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 1, Scott Genius

Bike Setup:   Maxxis ignitor tyres. XTR/XT drive.

Submitted by sasha a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    This is a comfortable bike. It chews up rough trail and could easily support all-day riding. The shocks are very adjustable and the lockout/pro-pedal features work well too.

Weaknesses:    For the price (and considering it's carbon) the bike's not that light.

For a moderately racy bike, the steering's pretty slow. It's not a bike you can throw into tight twisties. It's more a go where it's pointed type machine.

Bottom Line:
More of a trail bike than a race bike (which is how it's pitched, sort of). It's a pretty good bike, but it's not for me. Great shock and fork, though.

Buy it: If you want a trail bike and you do occasional 8- or 24-hour races.

Don't buy it: If you are looking for a real cross-country race bike or you ride a lot of tight, twisty singletrack.

Purchased At:   Big Swingin' Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with Candy pedals.

Opinion: used Rush Carbon Team or New RZ120/3?

I know the spec on the Carbon Team is way better, but I've read about the cable rub issue on the Rush. Is it something I can deal with, or will it cause the frame to eventually fail? How is the ride of the new RZ compared to the Rush? The swingarm looks very different, but from what I understan ... Read More »

Chain link count on medium Rush Carbon 3?

Anyone with a (2009) Rush Carbon 3 have a count on their stock chain links? Mine seems a tad short at 104 links. I'm replacing it with a lighter chain but don't want to cut it until I get a second opinion on the stock length. TIARead More »

BB30 on my 2009 Rush Carbon 3?

The [URL="http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/2009/Mountain/Marathon/Details/1579-9VM3-Rush-Carbon-3"]specs online[/URL] don't read as such but in assembling my new ride I find a giant BB30 sticker on the BB shell/downtube juncture. Just curious- I'm sure it'll pedal well either way (as s ... Read More »

Carbon Rush 3 vs Trek Fuel - Any Opinions?

I am looking at the Carbon Rush 3 2009 and at the Trek Fuel EX8 2010 which I can get for a very similar price. I weighed them on some fairly budget scales and they seem to weigh almost exactly the same (around 28lbs) which is odd as the Rush has higher spec kit and a carbon main frame. I was h ... Read More »

carbon rush 3 for sale

I am selling my 2008 carbon rush 3 already. with less than 30 miles it is like new. It's a great bike but just not what I really like in a mountain bike. I posted an ad in the classified section.Read More »