Cannondale Rush Carbon 1 XC Full Suspension

• Headset: Cannondale HeadShok Si
  • Seat Post: Thompson Elite, 410mm

Submitted by C-man a Cross Country Rider from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, Agile, overall quality, strong, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Attracts people that want one too.

Bottom Line:
After 15y of serious biking all belgium, france and Moab Utah, I know when products suck or not, and this one is sheer pleasure. All the cannondale products I have used are top line and have never failed on me. This bike does it all for me. When reading the reviews, I often get the impression that people buy without giving it much consideration besides "looks good", "cool design" and more of that sh.t. Appreciate great service from the store, honest feedback on product performance and you will know the difference quit fast for yourself. Cannondale is such a brand that takes serious care of what they do; building the best bikes on the market. This Rush is one of them.

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock, Poison Spider,in Moab Utah

Purchased At:   Chamizo in Elzestraa

Similar Products Used:   V1000 cannondale

Bike Setup:   Maxic SLR, sram X9, FSA White handle bar and sadle

Submitted by Tom Bernard a Racer from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Strengths:    Everthing is awesome, but the Fox rear Shox.
Lefty is IT!

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension does not work like intended - Fox Shox Sux.

Bottom Line:
I feel for the guy below. This bike was mediocre until I changed out the rear shock to a Manitou Swinger. Once dialed in, I am a gear faster on most everything but the smoothest surface. The Fox simply does not dampen the bumps (if you think is does, you probably came from a hardtail). I only know this because I came from a Prophet whos rear suspension design is identical except for its shock has 1/4" more stroke. To say the least, I was disappointed in the difference between the 2 until I bought a Swinger which is what the rear-end was designed for(and which also comes on the Prophet). It only took me two rides (to get the pressures dialed in) before the smile was back on my face. The Rush is so much better now and no levers to constantly reach back to switch. It is now faster than the Prophet in most situations(I used to race it too).
I wanter to wait to do this review until I did a race on it with the Manitou, and there are not many here in the summer. I did one with the Fox and the quality of the damping cannot compare. I just did a race with the Manitou on an up and down course(ski slope). This thing climbs like I was floating up the hill(no bobbing->SPV) yet took care of the bumps with grace. On the way down, it is like a rocket at everything but the steep bumpy straight sections(where the limited travel revealed its only weakness).
Overall, I was sooo pleased and finished with a big smile(and on the podium).
If you are over 200lbs. I would not recommend the SL version of the Lefty as I am about 190lbs. dry weight and I do notice some flex (The Rush 2 would be a better choice since its Lefty is much stiffer). Albiet way better than any other light weight cross country fork on the market by a long shot.
With the upgrade, it is definitely a 5 chile rating. The best bike I ever owned. Before the upgrade, who cares!
The 4 chile value rating reflets the fact that I had to buy 2 shocks(which includes the one that came on it).

Favorite Trail:   Wilson Creek Area, N.C.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Company El Paso, Tx.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet is the most similar.
Started with Pro-Flex 955(in 1995), K2, a few GTs.

Bike Setup:   Bought the frame and SL Lefty. Put on 2005 Crossmax SL, Salsa Flat Bar (risers are for downhills only!) 2006 XTR Cranks, Rotor Rings, Still using 8-speed XTR cassette.

Submitted by OUT MONEY a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    junk

Weaknesses:    junk

Bottom Line:
JUNK, JUNK, and more JUNK. The bike is JUNK, PERIOD

Favorite Trail:   CANNONDALE

Purchased At:   RUSH

Similar Products Used:   anything

xt, xtr r/d, tubeless, Carbon fork is 'BLOWN' JUNK.

Submitted by John a Racer from Northeast, PA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Incredibly light weight (23 lb's, give or take), top of the line components, climbs like an angry mountain goat, stable at high speed, incredible handling, floats over rock gardens, roots, whatever, and it handles technical sections with ease.....

Weaknesses:    dont care much for the grips... can be a bit expensive, but you dont really need two kidneys now do you?

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever ridden, does everything well. Mark at Sicklers took time to help me find what i wanted, then hooked me up with a killer deal. if your in the market for a x-country- all mountain rig this is your bike.

Favorite Trail:   There are many trails, all different. why pick a favorite?

Purchased At:   Sicklers Bike Shop (a good deal)

Similar Products Used:   GT Ruckus hardtail and i-drive, Haro x-6

Bike Setup:   stock Rush Carbon 1-

Submitted by Simon Thrush a Racer from Mclean, VA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Top cross country and marathon/Enduro bike. i have now done a number of 100 milers on it and its a great all day bike.

Weaknesses:    None other than getting used to the lefty - looking down and realising that half the suspension is missing can be a bit off putting. !!

Bottom Line:
Again, if you can afford this bike and you ride enduro/all day then this is the bike for you. Top ride

Favorite Trail:   South Downs Way - UK

Purchased At:   Cycle Soth, GA

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really. Other bikes are cross country racers - Specialised Carbon hardtail, and Cannondale 1FG SS.

Bike Setup:   Standrard, apart from new Stans No Tubes Crow tyres - awesome set up with great grip.

Submitted by Joe Blair a Cross Country Rider from Bluefield, WV

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Strengths:    Very stiff and responsive frame. Lefty fork does not flex and stands up well under acceleration. New XTR group shifts very crisp. Crossmax SLR's roll fast. Very low standover clearance. Weight around 24 1/2 pounds. Very little or no suspension bob.

Weaknesses:    Maxxis Crossmark tires corner really well but lack the grip on roots compared to Serac IRC. XTR brakes are weak compared to my old Avid Juicy 7's.

Bottom Line:
Excellent choice if you want a light bike that does everything well. Very little bobing, and you can lock out the rear shock if needed but I have not needed to do it. The lefty fork is the best all around fork I have ever used. The only weakness is the XTR brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Pandapas Pond trails

Purchased At:   Adventures

Similar Products Used:   02 Giant NRS XTC

Bike Setup:   Rush Carbon 1

Submitted by Edwin Carpio a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, ON Canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Very confident inspiring. By far, the most comfortably riding bike I've ever owned. Excellent components: it comes with full XTR if that doesn't say enough, Mavic SLR Disc UST, RP23, Thompson seatpost, FSA bar, Carbon Lefty...basically, everything I would have upgraded to eventually on a lesser equipped bike. The handling is incredible once you feel comfortable riding on one fork leg. It climbs like a crazed mountain goat (propedal engaged), and descends like a paraplegic monkey on X.

Weaknesses:    Pricey, but I come from the school of thought that 'you get what you pay for' philosophy. Longer wheelbase and lower bottom bracket than anything else I've compared it to.

Bottom Line:
If you can afford it, get it. Use it for what it was designed for though. Trail riding, cross country racing/24hr marathons...If you want something to do trials/stunts or jumps over say...over 3 feet dead then get a Scapel or better yet the Prophet. If you a want the best handling, 24lbs, 4 inches of adjustability front and back, this is it.
I find myself riding further than my usual routes with less soreness on this bike. My other bikes were hardtails though but weighed pretty much the same.

Favorite Trail:   Teocali Ridge (best ever ridden) best locally though is Brunette Park