Cannondale Rush Carbon 1 XC Full Suspension

• Headset: Cannondale HeadShok Si
  • Seat Post: Thompson Elite, 410mm

Submitted by Qise a Cross Country Rider from Johns Creek, GA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    -Fast uphill climber
-A stiff, more rigid full suspension but still eats up the big drops no problem
-shifting is great and very fast
-The lefty eats up the big rocks but stays rigid on the climbs

Weaknesses:    -Not as "plush" as other full suspension bikes

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this to any of my teammates. I almost sold this bike for a niner a couple weeks ago but could not do it because the lefty system was too great for the fox talas fork on the niner.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek trails

Purchased At:   A friend of mine

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden a niner air 9 and that was very similar to this bicycle.

Submitted by rorymm a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Weight. Durability. Cornering.

Weaknesses:    BB height over technical sections.

Bottom Line:
Best way I've ever heard this bike described is that while riding a rush you feel like you are in the bike more than on it. It is a great trail bike that you can still get out and race with. The way this bike flows though winding singletrack is a little piece of heaven. The opposite is true of technical climbing. I shaved off quite a bit of the carbon crankset while pounding up tough climbs. Still it's a fantastic bike for the majority of the trails out there. I was impressed by the carbon frame and lefty fork, cannondale strengths as always.

Favorite Trail:   Big Springs(UT)

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale RZ140, Rize, Scalpel, Jekyll. Jamis Dakar XLT, R.M. Element

Bike Setup:   2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Carbon, full XTR, si carbon cranks

Submitted by chelliewiles a Cross Country Rider from Jackson Hole, WY USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, Agile, Nimble, Tight. If you are a responsive aggressive rider through cross country and minor downhill terrain, this bike will Eat! up whatever you through at it. That bike is capable of things your mind can not fathom.

Weaknesses:    Lack of weight (only 24lbs.) makes this bike a bit treacherous through intense downhill activity. Jumps or drops for than a few feet could possible break something. though I have dropped 5 feet and less, it was against my better judgement. the bike held, i landed a little stiffly, but it rode it out. after checking for any breaks or cracks, i was surprised that there were no stress fractions of any kind anywhere on the frame. gave me more confidence in my decision to ride this bike.

Bottom Line:
this bike is made for a majority of riders whether they believe it or not. it would fit well into any extreme rider's arsenal. if you switch out the 2.25 tires and slam some slicks (like some 1.5s with knots) it turns into a single-track eating machine. the balance of 4" of travel all around with the propedal adjustment on the rear (for maintaining rear wheel contact with minimal bounce)turns this machine into a powerhouse in terms of speed, maneuverability, and control. don't forget those xtr hydraulic disc brakes. they will stop you.

Favorite Trail:   Blacks Canyon

Purchased At:   Edge Sports

Similar Products Used:   cannondale rize team , specialized stumpjumper , gaint anthem advanced , rocky mountain element 10

Bike Setup:   full xtr components; deraillers, dual control shifters, brakes, wheel set, front hub, rear hub, cassette, quick releases. syncros riser carbon, ritchey foam grips, cane creek extenders, thompson seat post, fox float rp23, lefty speed carbon front shock with fox guts.

Submitted by Sawyer a Cross Country Rider from ME

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    It's light, fast, handles really well, and is a lot of fun to ride. It's also pretty strong, I take it off a few fairly good sized jumps, and it does great, almost flaw less.

Weaknesses:    The flaw is the tires, they're great when its dry, but I live in maine, and it has rained for the last 14 out of 15 days. the tires don't do good in the mud or on slippery rocks.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike, I would recommend it, you might want to get some new tires depending on the terrain you ride on. Its a lot of fun to ride though.

Purchased At:   Craigslist.org

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Taylors, South Carolina

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    Idiot-proof handling due to limousine-length wheelbase and low bb. Light weight, about 25 lbs with XTR group. Exquisitely balanced front/rear 110mm travel. Carbon main frame affords much more solid ride than excellent alu. frame of my previous Rush. System Integration is beast.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket is both a blessing and a curse (you pays your money and takes your choice). Acceleration is, well . . . patience is a virtue, gentlemen.

Bottom Line:
The Carbon Rush is the best bike in the quadrant for those of us who want to spend a lot of time in the saddle and on the singletrack. It is both fast, light, and forgiving (a rare trifecta). The bike's handling is sweetly neutral. The Lefty SL 110 and the Fox RP23 undertake most XC trail duties with aplomb. Bottom Line: I happily traded a lightly used 2005 Epic carbon disc and my tarted-up 2005 Rush 1000 for this new rig. Sorry, Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Paris Mountain trail system

Purchased At:   Cycle Center, Columv

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic Carbon Disc, Rush 1000

Bike Setup:   Full XTR (except for big, orange, old-school Onza/SPD pedals, Mavic CrossMax SLR, Maxxis UST Ignitor tires (1.95 rear, 2.1 front: everyone should try this), Thompson Elite seatpost, Team Fizik saddle, Syncros hinge-clamp stem (this is the only Rush on the planet with a Head Shock-specific Syncros stem), smaller-diameter Answer carbon riser bar (everybody overbuilds their front ends anymore) Ergon grips w/ micro-bar ends.

Submitted by C-man a Cross Country Rider from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, Agile, overall quality, strong, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Attracts people that want one too.

Bottom Line:
After 15y of serious biking all belgium, france and Moab Utah, I know when products suck or not, and this one is sheer pleasure. All the cannondale products I have used are top line and have never failed on me. This bike does it all for me. When reading the reviews, I often get the impression that people buy without giving it much consideration besides "looks good", "cool design" and more of that sh.t. Appreciate great service from the store, honest feedback on product performance and you will know the difference quit fast for yourself. Cannondale is such a brand that takes serious care of what they do; building the best bikes on the market. This Rush is one of them.

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock, Poison Spider,in Moab Utah

Purchased At:   Chamizo in Elzestraa

Similar Products Used:   V1000 cannondale

Bike Setup:   Maxic SLR, sram X9, FSA White handle bar and sadle

Submitted by TrailRush a Weekend Warrior from jib_ford@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Strengths:    It is such a Beautiful carbon frame(Black with Blue and white) and is well designed. Cannondale SI equipment is tops. Low maintenance single pivot rear suspension with the excellent Fox RP23 air shock. I cant detect any pedal induced bobbing with ehe Pro pedel engaged when riding up hills or on flat surfaces.
This bike goes exactly where you point it and fast. I am not the fastest rider and am overtaken in the strights however once I am in tristy trails I catch and pass everyone I ride with. I just rode a 50 mile race and had no pain after the ride and I am 51 years old. What a bike. The LBS has been very good to work with and has supported me with the issuse I have had for the most part.

Weaknesses:    The Lefty DLR2 speed fork isn't the plushest fork I have used, it is still good however I replaced it with the Fox RLC carbon, WOW WOW WOW what a fork. Very plush. Root that I braced for before are not even noticed.
Sun-Ringle (SR) rear Hub. The bike started creaking and the LOB could not figure it out. Turned out to be the freewheel bearing coming apart. SR sent a replacement at no charge and that corrected the issue except after hard long use then it starts again. Goes away overnight.
Avid juicy rear brake has rub the rotor from day one. LOB has adjusted it many times however it would start rubbing when you started riding. Avid is sending a replacement

Bottom Line:
Even with the issues I have had they are not due to the Cannondale design or their parts. All the Cannondale parts have performed fantastic. This bike is easy to ride and I feel very confident riding fast on it. If you want a performance bike that you can ride/race all weekend and be fit to go to work on Monday this is the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Ocala,FL

Purchased At:   Bicycle & etc.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic with brain tech

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of: Easton XC Carbon bars, Fox 110 CM RLC Carbon lefty fork, Crank Bros Mallet pedals

Submitted by jayspike a Cross Country Rider from F-Town, Misery, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Strengths:    This thing can handle any cross country trail and make almost every rider look like a stud...yes even me;)

Weaknesses:    Handle bars a little wide for tight single track.
Tires suck in the mud!
Low bottom bracket will take some time to get used too.

Bottom Line:
This bike gives me so much confidence on all the downhill sections...I noticed that I have been riding alot more often with my new rig. RIDE or DIE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluff

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Big Shark

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Killer V900

Bike Setup:   Stock out of box for now.

Submitted by Bird a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is an incredible climber which i was looking for.
Had no idea that lefties were that stiff.
Beautiful carbon frame.

Weaknesses:    Did'nt care for the stock seat,put a Rocket V on it.
Really wide bars,cut them down to 26" and all is well.
Avids are big squealers for sure.

Bottom Line:
Very satisfied with the performance of this bike especially for a bike this comfortable.
I'm equally impressed with its low speed handling on single track.
I've got over 200 miles on it and would buy another carbon rush tomorrow.
I'm 6.0 and the large fits to perfection.
With my long legs its paramount i have a bike with a low BB for enhanced handling.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   Have owned several XC bikes over the years and currently have a Stumperjumper Elite FS.

Bike Setup:   Ergon grips and Wtb saddle,rest is stock.

Submitted by timberjim a Cross Country Rider from Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, adjustable for all conditions, long ride comfort

Weaknesses:    Cranks sometimes bottom out on obstacles because of the very low crankshaft. I am unable to run it no hands on the bars, the Lefty fork pulls to the right. Don't get me wrong, I only go no hands some short road stretches to relieve back or neck cramps.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic cross country race quality bike, can ride all day. I put on 100 miles the first three days of riding in Park City Utah; nasty rocky trails to smooth fast riding high alpine trails. Will lighten up by changing out the seat, tires, handlebar, seatpost. I'm 55 and need all the weight advantage I can get without losing weight myself. This bike best fits expert riding demands.

Favorite Trail:   Porqupine rim in Moab

Purchased At:   White Pine Touring,

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra Race

Bike Setup:   Standard 08 setup

Submitted by Jasontech a Weekend Warrior from St. Augustine, Florida

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Everything. I sold my 2008 Scott Spark 30 and bought the Cannondale Rush 2 and I must say it was the best thing I have ever done. It came with the Lefty Speed Carbon FOX RLC front shock and it ROCKS!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This bike ROCKS I recommend this bike to anyone. You will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Hanna Park, FT Clinch, Graham Swamp

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc. The be

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush 3, Scott Spark 30

Bike Setup:   Lefty Speed Carbon FOX RLC, SI SL Cranks, XTR Lefty Wheel set, Sram XO Twisties, Sram XO rear Derailleur, XTR Front Derailleur, Avid Juicy Carbon Ultimate Brakes, XTR Coggs. 22.8 LBS.

Submitted by runnermatt a Cross Country Rider from Mineral, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Bike rides great. Cannondale did an excellent job of eliminating pedal bob despite it being a single pivot design because I never noticed it although this is my first full suspension bike. I like the Avid Juicy 7 brakes, great modulation and stopping power. The Maxxis Crossmark tires while not providing absolute traction most people are looking for they do break away progressively allowing the rider to recover or control most slides. Some riders complained about the Fizik seat on previous Rush models but I actually kinda like it. The Fox RP23 shock and the Lefty Speed DLR2 both work quite well and one of the nice things about the lefty is that the lockout and rebound adjustment are almost level with the handlebars so the rider doesn't have to reach down to make changes while riding.

Weaknesses:    First the simple problem. The handle bars are too wide. I would recommend checking the width before you leave the shop and have them cut them down so you don't have to go back later. My current biggest complaint is that my Lefty fork is leaking shock oil from the bottom the leg where the air valve to add or remove air from the fork is. Typically one would expect a fork or shock to leak at the seals where it compresses but this is not the case because the shock oil is not running down the side of the fork to the bottom leg. I already had the shop I purchased the bike from send it back for warranty repairs and it came back still leaking. Just to make sure I wiped off all of the oil I could a few days ago and checked it again today, still leaking. I'm going to take it back to the shop again to have them send it off again, but if it comes back leaking again I'm going to have the shop sell it and start looking at other brands again. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research before I bought the bike and later it appears Cannondale has a recall of several models every year. The bike still rides great, but if you can't ride the bike because it is in the shop then what is the point in having it.

Bottom Line:
The Cannondale Rush 3 Carbon is a great riding bike. It handles smoothly and despite feeling like you are driving a truck with the extra wide handle bars it is never an issue on the trail. It might be a problem on really tight technical trails, but I expect it won't be an issue for most. Other than that there is the problem I've had with the Lefty leaking shock oil. If I hadn't been having that problem I would love the bike, but what is the point in having a bike if you can't ride it because it had to be sent back twice for the same warranty repair. Oh yeah and if you think I'm abusing the bike I've only had the opportunity to ride it twice and I haven't had a chance to ride it since it came back from the first repair.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   The Bike Stop, Culpe

Submitted by John Redcorn a Cross Country Rider from Houston Texas

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    The front fork is really nice. Seems like all the effort put in the pedals goes forward. Climbs well, I dont get out of the saddle as much as i do on my other bikes.

Weaknesses:    Seems like the pedals bottom out (hit stuff) more on this bike than my others. It would be nice if the front fork was air adjustable. Made in China?

Bottom Line:
The bike is very efficient, it goes where you point it. The ride is smoothe and inspires confidence. I wash it daily after my rides (95F at 100% humidity piles up the sweat)and my bottom bracket is not waterlogged... I love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Local trails

Purchased At:   Bay Area Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   cannondale super v's and raven

Bike Setup:   Stock setup. xtr wheels & drivetrain, xtr brakes. I changed the tires to wtb wierwolf.

Submitted by mcmoo a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Beautiful carbon frame with well designed suspension front and rear. Low maintenance single pivot rear sus with the excellent Fox RPL2 air shock. I cant detect any pedal induced bobbing when riding up hills, even on full travel setting.
Lefty DLR2 fork. The best all round-fork I have ever used. It isn't the plushest fork I have tried (still good), but it is the best at steering and braking. It goes exactly where you point it. Lefty concept is still a masterpiece of design and engineering and never fails to turn heads.
UST tubeless tyres: I have (touch wood) never had a puncture on this bike.

Weaknesses:    The first thing I changed on my Rush were the tyres. It came with Maxxis Crossmark tyres, which I have to admit are pretty good on dry hard pack, and are really efficient on tarmac, but are useless at everything else! I found that the rear would spin out on wet grass, never mind mud. Steering was also non existent. Anyway I changed them to Maxxis ignitors and am quite happy with the way they perform.
Avid juicy 7 brakes: good in the dry, but squeal like crazy in the wet. I have to drag the brakes frequently to keep them hot in order to work in wet conditions.
Bottom bracket height: It is low on the Rush, pedal strikes are very easy and chainrings tend to hit logs that other bikes can clear.
FSA bottom bracket: the bearings in mine failed after 7 months use, seals are not the best.
FSA afterburner cranks: paint comes off cranks very easy.
Swingarm/Chainstay: With the chain in the smallest gear, it gets very close to the swingarm. Chain can hit it quite easy while riding. The dedicated cannondale chainstay protector does fix this problem, but it doesn't come as standard with the bike.
Computer mount: you need a special adaptor kit to fit a cycle computer sensor to the lefty fork.

Bottom Line:
The best trail bike I have ever ridden. Cannondale have produced another classic design. The frame and fork are fantastic. I was a bit cautious about the lefty + carbon frame combination at first, but it quickly proved that it would take everything I pointed it at. My medium framed Rush weighs in at 27 Ibs, but with some component upgrades it can be made much lighter, afterall it is the same frame as used on the £4000 model.
It is very stable at speed, and is agile when it comes to dodging trees. The low bottom bracket and stand over height make it great on twisty trails, but the flip side is that the pedals can strike objects very easily. This does take a bit of getting use to.
It is not the type of bike I would use for jumping or hammering down stairs, but it is awesome at riding up and down mountains.

Favorite Trail:   Cody, Wales