Cannondale Rush 800 XC Full Suspension

Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
Hubs: Cannondale Lefty front, Shimano M475 rear

Submitted by timcking a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Top of the line bike. Light weight carbon frame. Great components. Cannondale quality and support - it's my third Cannondale in almost 20 yrs.

Weaknesses:    Reduced crank clearance from previous bikes I've had. I didn't like the OEM seat.

Bottom Line:
Living in Reno, NV means climbing if you like trail riding. This is a great all round xc bike. It's light, responsive, and is a very efficient climber. The lefty front shock is the best in terms of strength and stability. I'm very satisfied. I also like the excellent support of a great local dealer and the manufacturer. I never thought I'd spend this much on a bike, but no regrets and it's the best investment for my health.

Favorite Trail:   Whites-Thomas Creek Loop

Purchased At:   Great Basin Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Univega Alpina Uno, Cannondale CST 1200, Cannondale Raven 700.

Bike Setup:   Replaced handlebars, seat post, seat, chain, tires (Stan's tubless) to reduce weight.

Submitted by DOMINGO a Cross Country Rider from FLORIDA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Weaknesses:    POOR TIRES , POOR HANDLE BAR

Bottom Line:
I,M GET THIS BIKE FOR 2 YEARS , THIS BIKE IS A BEAUTIFULL MACHINE DESING FOR ALL , IS VERY QUICK IN THE TRAIL BUT THE FRAME HAS TO BE BETTER LOOK FOR CANNONDALE SO SIMPLE

Favorite Trail:   OLETA STATE PARK

Purchased At:   BELLS BICYCLE

Similar Products Used:   CANNONDALE SCALPEL, PROFHET

Bike Setup:   HANDLE BAR FSA K-FORCE CARBON,SEAT TUBE FSA K-FORCE CARBON
SHIMANO XTR FC-M970 2008 CRANKSET BB30,FRONT DERAULLIER FD-M970 XTR 2008,REAR DERAULLIER SRAM X0 CARBON 2009,SHIFTER SRAM X0 CARBON TRIGGER,WHEELS MAVIC CROSSTRAIL 2008 ,PANARACER TIRES FIRE XC PRO 2009 RED LINE

Submitted by onrhodes a Cross Country Rider from Concord, NH USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    Well balanced full suspension bike. Lefty fork is great. Decent component mix. I love the shifter levers

Weaknesses:    Bars are too wide and heavy. Rear wheel is bottom of the barrel, replaced right away. Crank is so-so

Bottom Line:
I'm a semi-retired racer who still likes to ride a lot. I ditched a hard tail to buy this bike. What a gave up in responsiveness of a race bike, I gained a lot more in control and comfort of a full suspension bike.
I am very impressed with the Rush setup. The left fork is pretty sweet and the bike does climb really well. It is not a killer race bike or an all mountain dream (not meant to be either) but a nice all day XC bike that I can still race. I did a 100 kilometer mtn bike race with this thing about 4 months after buying it and won my category. I have to say that the full suspension saved me lots of pain on that day.
I have to say that going to full suspension was the best decision that I ever made. I liked my hardtails, but this opens up a whole new world of enjoyment for all day rides.
For the price, I wish it has some slightly better components. I remember when $2,000 bought you an all XT bike with other decent components (I've been riding for 20 years now mind you).
Overall though, great bike, would love to ride one of the carbon models to see how it compares.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Purchased At:   Goodales Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail, Aegis Pro-axe, demo my brothers Santa Cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   Stock frame and shocks, but has since upgraded to Thomson post, San Marco ERA saddle, XT Rear wheel on 717 rim, XT cranks, Time pedals, monkeylite bars.

Submitted by GARY a Cross Country Rider from Sussex, UK

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2008

Strengths:    Lefty (lockout location as well), style, value for money. GREAT climber for a Full Suspension bike.

Weaknesses:    Had a few problems with bad creaking around the bottom bracket area. It has been in for repair 3 times, where the finally re threaded it and it seemed to do the trick. Handle bars are WAY too wide, especially for technical down hill trails...

Bottom Line:
I fantastic bike and great all around XC, with good travel suspension. I would buy another Cannondale without any hesitation !!!!

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear, CA

Purchased At:   River City Bike, OR

Similar Products Used:   misc

Bike Setup:   standard other than changed to better Panaracer Firetread tires.

Submitted by Curran a Cross Country Rider from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    Very Stable, Climbs Well, Good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Handle bar too wide for most people; Grips could be better; Stock tires not great.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic. I am a recreational cross country rider and for me this bike does all I want. Climbs very well even carrying my excess weight. Very stable through descents and rough terrain. Great value for what I paid, and looks very good in the lightning white.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Summit City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance, Specialized Epic Comp

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock. I had the SI one piece steer tube/stem installed at purchase. Later I shortened the handle bar, replaced the grips with lock-ons, and replaced the tires with Nevegals.

Submitted by John from Beverly, MA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    Very stable geometry, good components, but the single standout feature of this bike is the lefty fork.

Weaknesses:    The biggest drawback is that the front wheel requires tools and time to remove. This means you can't just pop the wheel off and stick your bike in your car, you also can't use a roof rack which secures the bike by the fork without a special adapter. It is also very difficult to attach a computer to the fork without an adapter.

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around bike. Like most folks who are into cycling I've got more than one bike taking up space in the garage. The truth of the matter is you still can only ride one of them at a time. I've taken the Rush trail riding in Lynn woods, and have raced on the bike. I have been looking for a bike that I would feel confident on riding rough trails, but would also feel fast enough on to XC race on. I do not have a lot of XC racing experience, I have found that in past races (on my hardtail) I pass people on the climbs, and get passed on the decents. The last race I did on the rush I was still able to climb well, but was also able to let the fly on the decents. I also felt that I was far less beat up after the race. I spent much more time in the saddle peddeling, even when riding over terrain which I would have to stand to traverse on my hardtail. After 4 months on this bike I sold my FSR and Rockhopper hardtail, the Rush easily relaced both of them.

Favorite Trail:   any in Lynn woods

Purchased At:   Bay Road bikes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Schwinn homegrown 4-banger, Cannondale raven

Bike Setup:   Stock, I havn't felt the need to change a single thing in the 2 years I've been riding it.

Submitted by Jamie Manwell from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    It is overall a nice ride. I diffently like the "lefty" and the "lock out".

Weaknesses:    Wide handle bars. The shifting seems to slip a bit, but it might just need to be adjusted. Also there is a little play on the Lefty lockout. I called Cannondale and they said on this year and the prior there is a bit of play but when you changed the oil it will be corrected.

Bottom Line:
I have only had this bike for about 3 weeks. I have rode Prophets recently (and my old SV 700 since 97). But so far I have enjoyed this bike the most. I enjoyed riding it almost to the point of frost bite(had to get some miles on it plus it's winter here in Germany). It makes tackling more aggressive routes easier than with my prior bikes. I have to do some fine tuning to get it shifting right but other than that the "Lefty" is a great set up. I would have loved to have gotten the "Lefty Max" but I couldn't pass up a $2000.00 bike for $1100 bones.

Favorite Trail:   So many

Purchased At:   Friend wanting a street bike

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was a 1997 Bumble yellow Cannondale Sv 700(up graded to Shimano disc brakes). I rode it all the way up to about a month ago and loved it (except for the creaking)

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Cannondale Rush 800(Lighting White)

Submitted by Jonathan from Dover, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    This is my first Cannondale and I have to admit that I bought it because I was pretty curious about the brand and the lefty fork. I have been very pleased. You get a high quality frame, lefty fork, front lock out, rebound control in the front and back, hydraulic disk brakes and a cool paint job (the Cannondale logo is reflective at night).

I'm pretty light myself so I haven't worried too much about upgrading parts to save weight.

Weaknesses:    Not many - I replaced the tires with the Kenda Nevergals - 2.35 in front and 2.1 in back. They grip better for riding rocks but are not as fast as the IRC Serac XCs that came with the bike. I'll probably upgrade the group to XTR when things wear out but I haven't had any major problems.

Bottom Line:
This is a great overall bike and I am quite pleased. It is not the right choice for a racer or someone doing extreme downhill but for all mountain and cross country it rides really well especially for the price point. Cannondale is pretty consistent with its designs throughout its lineup - thus this is a great frame to stay with and upgrade parts.

Purchased At:   Landry's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   I previously rode a specialized FSR. The bottom bracket was too low on that bike for Northeast riding. I looked at the Trex Fuel 8 and the Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a new XT cassette in the rear (the SRAM stock cassette broke after 1 month) and the new tires mentioned above. I have not purchased any lizard skins for the rear (they make a larger one for the chainstays on this bike) but I would recommend it. I have a couple of divots.

Submitted by rich slingsby a Cross Country Rider from portland or usa

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Cannondale hit the mark with this geometry. Stable yet will handle fast when needed. Lefty for shines the more technical the terrain gets. Easy to set up . goes unhill with far less bob than any of the two sumpy fsr i have owned. i love it.

Weaknesses:    bars are way too wide. other than that a great all around bike .

Bottom Line:
I have tried many bikes . this is a keeper

Favorite Trail:   mckenzie river trail

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Specialized fsr comp, elite,
Cannondale prophet

Bike Setup:   upgraded to fsa xc carbon bars, thomson seatpost, and shimano 959 pedals.

Submitted by Logan a Cross Country Rider from Provo, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, Rigid and precise steering, EXCELLENT shocks

Weaknesses:    poor quality derailleurs, must-replace chain

Bottom Line:
The bike is fantastic! After 2 years of all conditions riding and excessively rough trails for a Rush 800, the bike has had no major problems and still steers and climbs past all my buddies and their overpriced Specialized bikes. My only complaints are the initial components are weak, Shim LX front Derailleur needs to be replaced along with the Shifting cables (use Aztec Powerlines). I also switched to SRAM PC-991 chain and though I dont need it, im getting a new rear cassette for even smoother and quicker shifting.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Initial Stock set-up

Submitted by Shane Mills a Cross Country Rider from Harlan, IN

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Strengths:    Fast Bike, it is a perfect median between a trail bike and a X-C race bike, suspension is just plush enough to give you a smooth ride but still stiff enough to be competitive with any other bike out there.

Weaknesses:    The lefty fork is hard to mount anything to when traveling from trail to trail, but I can live with it.

Bottom Line:
The cannondale rush 800 is the perfect bike for a beginer or a serious trail enthoust. For me it was a perfect transition from a hardtail to a full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock trail in Moab Utah Duh

Purchased At:   Summit Bicycle in Fort Wayne IN

Similar Products Used:   trek 6700

Bike Setup:   stock, cause this is all you will ever need

Submitted by Rick Lawrence from Browns Summit N.C.

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Price ,lightweight, able to change setup on the fly

Weaknesses:    Putting computer on lefty

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the money

Favorite Trail:   Northeast/Gibsonville

Purchased At:   Paceline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Graeme a Weekend Warrior from sault ste marie,Ont,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    awesome bike all around, great up and down,nice components for the price,I love the Lefty its amazing in every way,full suspension

Weaknesses:    Handle bars are huge,its hard to change stem/handlebars to fit better because of lefty steer tube, closest cannondale dealer is 2 1/2 hours away

Bottom Line:
amazing bike for the price, lefty's awesome, full suss is awesome, great all around bike, light enoungh for cross country but can take a pounding

Purchased At:   latitude 45

Similar Products Used:   upgraded from a tricked out gary fisher marlin

Bike Setup:   stock (just got it a week ago)

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Cumming, GA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    Solid, stable ride. Good on the climbs and great on the descents. Hydraulic disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket means you have to be careful with the pedals and rocks. I'm not a big fan of the rapid rise derailleur and dual control levers. The lefty limits you to racks that accomodate the front wheel.

Bottom Line:
This bike is really cool. I used to ride a Santacruz Superlight which is now my wife's bike. The Rush is basically a copy of the superlight, except I like the lefty much better than any other fork I've ridden.

I rode this bike for a few weeks before purchasing it and I tried it on smooth singletrack as well as some serious rides in the mountains. It climbs fast, but it doesn't feel as nimble as the Superlight. It does however feel more solid on the downhills. I would guess something like a Blur would be a better climber but I can't imagine it handling any better on the descents. Since you can get a Rush for less than $2000 it seemed like a good purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Lots of them