Cannondale Rush 600 XC Full Suspension

Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
Hubs: Cannondale Lefty front, Shimano M475 rear

Submitted by chodgins a Weekend Warrior from Port St Lucie, FL USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
2006 Cannondale Rush 600 FOR SALE...$950...never been riden! A move to Florida + a newborn baby has put the kabosh on Mtn Biking opportunities for me. Call Chris at (860)550-0681 (Cell) or (772) 403-8151 (office). I am happy to e-mail photos upon request.

Purchased At:   Canton, CT

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from Charleston,SC USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    So far, I have found none.

Weaknesses:    The bars are a little wide but that is an easy fix. And I really don't like the grips but that is also an easy fix.

Bottom Line:
Just picked up this bike the other day. It is a used 05' bike that was almost never ridden. Got it for $900.00

Got to play with it some yesterday and I have to say that I am very impressed with the bike. It is one of the best FS bikes that I have ridden. I am impressed with the weight too. I put it on a scale and it came in at 29 pounds with dirt on it. I really thought it would be heavier than that. That is a pound lighter than my last hard tail.

As I get the bike set up for me and get some more ride time on it, I will give a better review. But so far I think the bike is great.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   All stock for the moment.

Submitted by willevans a Racer from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Solid and front end. Tunable to a wide variety of terrain. Durable and low maintenance. Comes stock with the ability to run full-length cable housing. Super long wheelbase (as long as some downhill bikes) means you can climb a tree if you have the right tires.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires only work on hardpack. Low BB means I've beaten the ever-luvin crap out of my pedals and crank arms. The bikes very long and at slower speeds the rear tire feels like its 8 feet behind you. Switchbacks are Kryptonite! If you ride mostly tight and twisting trails you'll want something different.

Bottom Line:
I qualified for nationals out of the SEC with this bike in stock form, minus the wheel swap.

This bike isn't responsive at low speeds, and you have to be deliberate with your inputs, especially when going uphill. You won't be hurting for traction though. People make fun of this simple bike, but it feels as solid and stable as a much bigger bike on fast and sweeping downhills. I often coast up to guys who are pedaling trying to get away from me on the downhills.

The bike is very simple, but that also means what can be adjusted MUST be at the proper setting. Riding this bike at the wrong shock pressures makes you feel that poor suspension is worse than no suspension at all. Just a note.

I'm faster on this humble bike over the rocks and roots of the East Coast than on any other bike I've tried. The stable front end and high-speed stability allow you to keep speed through turns, power up rock gardens, and pedal through rough sections that slow up everyone else. Once you get it setup, you won't beat it for performance and price.

Favorite Trail:   Dausset

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem: great rear end but noticeably vague front.

GT iDrive 4.0: no matter what I tried, it was like riding on a trampoline.

Bike Setup:   Stock, but with XT/717 wheels with Maxxis Exception Ignitors. This substitution took 3 pounds off the bike and transformed how it handled in softer conditions. Much better. Thanks Maxxis.

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Rockland County NY

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Strengths:    Made in USA, lifetime waranty on frame, stock components can take abuse, in love with the lefty, manuverability on trails. wide array of colors for the Rush series. For the $$$ its a great foundation

Weaknesses:    yes, the rear stock shock has some pogo uphill
back tire has a tough time tracking uphill(possibly bc of stock shock?)
stock tires cant hold corners are well as others that i have used in the past
the seat blows - too hard and narrow - oooowwww!

Bottom Line:
overall I am happy with this purchase. I'm hypocritical bc IMO the tires, rear shock and seat are horrible but I havent replaced any of them. Dont ride as much as I use to, so it is perfect for what i need. I can hang with the pack pretty much wherever we go riding and dont have to worry about having a hardtail, freeride and downhill in the garage. If I wasnt so impulsive and could do it over again. . . this would not be my choice, it would be more along the lines of the rocky mountain element 70. Just my thoughts on the bike. Bought it new in 06, still have it for 08 (actually just took a nice ride with it this morning), hopefully ill have some extra cash so it will be gone for 09. Great bike for the cash, could be better.

Purchased At:   new in 06 @ Bikeway

Similar Products Used:   Dawg Dee-lux, Y-5, raven . .

Bike Setup:   stock . . . completely.

Submitted by Gregory a Racer from Lafayette Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    excellent suspension (love the lefty) good components overall perfect bike

Weaknesses:    grips and the length of handle bars

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the money absolutely love it. It handles like a champ on the trail very maneuverable. Its an awesome bike and i after one ride i cant wait for the next.

Favorite Trail:   elk meadows

Purchased At:   golden bear

Similar Products Used:   iron horse maverick 4.5

Bike Setup:   Stock ( not for long ) except for grips. Changed those to good n evil grips.

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Emory, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Great suspension on both ends, decent component spec, great price.

Weaknesses:    Crankset and BB, uncomfortable seat, not all that light, grips are weird.

Bottom Line:
This is an update on a previous review. I have found this bike to be loads better once I tuned it to my riding style (after I wrote my first review.) This bike is absolutely phenomenal! Everything works exactly as it should one you have it fitting and tuned right. That is the key, take your time getting everything right. I ride my Rush every week and have begun to race it over the past year. Love every minute on it.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mountain Trail

Purchased At:   Adventure Damascus

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Enduro, Gary Fisher Cake 1 DLX, Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   Pushed Float shock, Race Face cranks, XT 11-32 casset, Ritchey WCS flat bars, Formula Oro K18 brakes, Maxxis Ignitor tires, old C'dale OEM saddle, Crank Brothers Smarty pedals, Lizard Skin grips.

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from Barcelona, Spain

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    It is a great overall bike for the mountans. It does every thing well. I like climbing everything and it has a way with tough tecnical single track. I goes down hugging the ground. The lefty is a supper fork, no incredible!

Weaknesses:    inishal component set.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike every day to get to work and every thing else we do here. Lots of trail rideing. Our rides start with a 1500 ft asent, and this bike is always a pleasure to ride. It is a bunch of fun. The mech brakes are double ajustable and are realy great. We have xt hidro on the other bike and they work comparably well.

Similar Products Used:   just hardtails.

Bike Setup:   crank br cranks and pedals, I made the back wheel hope pro11 arrowlight and mavic 717, crossmark tiers, sella anatomica seat thomson post, some crbn handle bar. the rest is as it came.

Submitted by James Pinsky a Cross Country Rider from Ganutanamo Bay, Cuba

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    The lefty fork is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. Although there's no lockout on my rear shock, climbing the steep hills here is GITMO is not an issue for the bike. I however have quite a bit of conditioning to do to really put this bike to good use. I ride a small and the power transfer is hardtail like. Smooth, fast bike. This is my first disc brake bike. How did I ever live without them? Im not sure what it weighs but the balance of the bike makes it seem light.
This bike breeds confidence in its owners.

Weaknesses:    The shifters seem long-winded and tightly grouped with the brakes. Maybe its more of my small hands than anything else.You can have a normal bike computer of the lefty but you have to throw a piece of rubber or some other spacer under the sensor to close the gap in spacing. Mine works fine.

Bottom Line:
Cannondales are solid bikes. This is my first and I can feel the difference in everything from the frame to the ride. You can just tell the engineers built it for people who ride, and that matters. Excellent ergonomics. I know there are cheaper bikes, and Lord knows theres more expensive bikes but the Rush seems like the perfect compromise between pricey dream bike and bottom-dollar utilitarian. Even on the road this bike gets the heart rate going with a solid cadence and little to any pedal bob.I love and respect this machine and will own it for years to come.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline, Cuba

Purchased At:   NEX

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock Comp. Gary Fisher Joshua. Jamis Dakar.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Suspension works superbly. Both high and low speed handling are excellent. The bike is lightweight, especially considering the amount of travel and price point. Components work very well and are durable. Took a couple good hits to the SRAM x7 derailleur and it's still in line. Avid mechanical brakes very powerful after break-in period.

Weaknesses:    The bike came with a FSA handlebar which was, if I remember correctly, around 29 inches wide. Too wide in my opinion for a cross-country bike. Also, the bottom bracket is on the low side. While this does lower the center of gravity and help handling, I've hit a lot more rocks/roots with the chainring than on other bikes. Cannondale levers and Avid BB7 brake combo doesn't provide the modulation I'm used to. Will be switching out levers to Avid speed dial.

Bottom Line:
Great bike at a reasonable price. Suspension and handling are terrific. As a plus Made-in-U.S.A. Needs a few parts swapped to tailor to preferred fit and riding style, but then most bikes do, in my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   American Standard

Purchased At:   Spokes bike shop in Hamburg

Similar Products Used:   This bike replaces a Cannondale Super V 2000. Have some experience on a Cannondale Jekyll.

Bike Setup:   Cross-country. Narrow, flat bar. Swapped 11-34t cassette for 11-32.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, NH USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2006

Strengths:    Decent components, style, stability is incredible (it will smooth out anything), Lefty stands out in a crowd, The black on black design with the reflective stickers makes the bike really stand out

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket- the ends on my crank arms are pretty beat, the stock pedals from cannondale smashed apart inside of a month- went to shimano spd's, stock handlebars are way too wide- great for stability- but tough to use on the tight trails in New England

Bottom Line:
I got some money last spring from a stock option deal so figured time to retire my LTS 2- it served me well for 10 years. I tested out the rush, the scalpel, and the prophet. All 3 were incredible bikes, but the geometry and body position just felt comfortable on the rush. Once the shock and lefty were setup, the bike rides like a dream. Some of the cheaper parts started going- (chainring bolts had to all be replaced- snapped 2 of them, stock wellgo knock off pedals smashed after a couple of good hits) The SRAM X.7 components are nice and work in anything- we had some serious mud last spring and the bike never skipped a beat. The bars were a little wide- I kept smacking trees on a couple of tight sections. I went to a smaller FSA K-Force carbon bar and took care of that. Next upgrade will be the rear shock. The stock float has no controls or pro-pedal and it does tend to have a bounce to it under hard cranking. The lefty surprised me, I really like it- very active and smooth.

Overall though, great bike and everyone that has borrowed it off me to try it out always gives me a hard time about getting it back... I have a feeling there may be a couple of new ones in the mix of riders I ride with next spring.

Favorite Trail:   FOMBA Trails

Purchased At:   Goodale's of Hooksett

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS 2, GT Zaskar LE

Bike Setup:   Swapped out pedals for shimano spd's, FSA carbon handlebar, FSA carbon seatpost, Specialized Avatar 155 saddle (the stock fizik made my legs numb), Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (fried the Serac's that came stock in about 2 months)

Submitted by marsupial a Racer from Arizona

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    Lefty Fork
Less suspension bearings to cause problems
Stand over
Stable Geometry, low bottom bracket
Reasonable spec for the price
Flat black anno with reflective decals is cool.

Weaknesses:    Stock shock bobs going uphill
low bottom bracket
No rebound on stock shock
Stock bike is heavy
Pedal feedback in middle and small ring
Stock tires not great for our local trails
Lefty fork makes getting bike onto roof rack harder

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for marathon/endurace racing. It was cheaper for me to buy the complete bike and sell off most of the parts than to get a frame/fork???? even with a team deal from my LBS. The bike rides quite well, but the climbing and descending really improved when I changed out the stock shock for the RP23. The pro pedal setting really helps the bike climb better and I think the stock shock was packing down on the descents as when open the bike descends a lot better on rocky terrain. I noticed that Cannodale now has the Rush 4 with rebound.
The bike was 30lb on an Ultimate hanging scale out the door at the LBS. My mods saved over 3lb on the bike. The rest of the components were serviceable and if not racing I probably would just have upgraded the rear shock and run a tubeless conversion and changed the tires on the stock wheels and called it a day.
I do occasionally notice some pedal feedback in the middle ring when climbing if the shock compresses, but it is not a big deal overall. I have owned quite a few horst link bikes, they climbed better seated and had a little more traction on tech climbs, but the Rush makes it a little easier to accellerate out of the saddle, especially with pro pedal engaged. The low bottom bracket is a good and bad thing. I do get more pedal strikes than with other bikes but it is more stable at speed. I still think another 1/4 inch would not hurt the handling but might stop the pedal strikes a little.
I was dubious about the Lefty, but have to say I am impressed. I was riding a hardtail single speed with a SID and initially I was all over the trail because I wasnt used to the rigidity and kept overcorrecting. It is harder to get onto a rack, but I usually carry it inside so its not a big deal.

Similar Products Used:   Have owned in past:

Bike Setup:   Modified from original with:
Fox RP23
Salsa wide flat bar
Syncros Post and Flite saddle
Mavic tubeless rims with DT rear hub
Formula Oro K24 discs
Race Face cranks
eggbeater pedals
Python Light UST tires
26.8lb

Submitted by Andy Vanderwolf a Weekend Warrior from Rapid City, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very solid components for the price. I had considered the Rush 1000 model, particularly because of the hydraulic discs and upgraded rear shock, but read in reviews that the upgraded shock didn't allow for full lock-out and had been a minor disappointment to some. Also, I have the general impression that hydraulic brakes are more finicky than mechanical, but this may be less true than in the past. The Avids have been fantastic--easy to adjust, and provide powerful stopping. I can't imagine what you'd do with a leaky hydraulic setup miles away from a set of tools.

The Lefty is fantastic, with excellent tracking, ability to smooth out the extremely rocky terrain where I ride, and on-the-fly adjustment for lock-out and rebound. I've found that I rarely lock it out, though, because the compression curve is great without it. The rebound adjustment is not that dramatic, but maybe heavier riders will notice--I'm 150 pounds.

I was drawn to the rear suspension setup because of its single-pivot simplicity. Although I was nervous, there is simply not a lot of bob, so I am glad that I didn't spend the extra money for the 1000 model. In fact, in the rocky terrain I ride--not necessarily by choice, but the Black Hills ARE giant rocks jutting from the plains--the rear tire tracks the ground going uphill better than my hardtail. Although the bike is heavier than a hardtail, it's actually more comfortable going uphill with a little bit of suspension.

Again, though, trails here are generally solid rock with a little bit of dirt thrown on top, so keep that in mind when thinking about this bike.

I've always had nice shifter-derailleur setups (Shimano and SRAM), so was a bit reluctant about non-top-o-the-line. But this shifts whenever I tell it to, under load or not.

Weaknesses:    The seat is narrow and uncomfortable, but I think all bike seats are too narrow. (I built my own out of aluminum plate for my hardtail. It's hard on the sit-bones, but never crushes the perineal area like factory seats. And it is still small enough to not look like a granny seat.)

I just angled the nose of the seat way down, and will make another seat when I have time.

The BB is lower than you might expect, but this is a design element, not a weakness. Just keep it in mind if you intend to go over lots of tall stuff like logs and rocks.

Bottom Line:
Don't be nervous if you are making the transition from a hardtail. Unless you have nicely manicured singletrack--I often dream about that--this bike will make a big difference in how you ride, and how much you enjoy it.

For really technical stuff, I still ride my hardtail, simply because it has fewer places to flex and a higher BB. (I'm also being protective of my new bike, to be quite honest, because it is so damn rocky around here.) But stuff that would be pretty hairy on a hardtail turns out to be nothing on this bike. You know those moments when you grit your teeth and prepare to bite it? This bike makes up for your bad decisions, sucks up the hit, keeps you upright and tracking, and makes you wonder why you thought it was going to be so bad.

Again, if you have rugged terrain, this bike will make it more fun--either up or downhill. Even though I am a weenie about scratching it, it does extremely well on highly technical stuff. For smoother stuff, pay more attention to the other reviews (but I bet you'll like it anyway.)

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Specialized 2004 with "brain" rear shock and hydraulic discs. (Rented it for a couple of days in Tahoe.) Not enough riding to make a detailed comparison, but I did notice that the rear of the specialized seemed very heavy, unlike the Rush.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Northern VA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty much everything on this frame is a strength. Part Spec is pretty good for the $ (compared to other bikes at this price range). Climbing ability and downhill ability is definitely a huge strength of this bike. It's a very quick bike all-around.

Weaknesses:    If I would say anything, I'd say relatively low BB height; although, it doesn't bother me much at all. The saddle was absolutely the worst thing I've ever sat upon.

Bottom Line:
The bike is an excellent value. The frame, lefty, rear shock combo is sweet. The Lefty just tracks and soaks up the bumps. Very nice front shock, better than I had hoped. Going up bumpy hills, the bike just soaks them up, and it feels like you're just spinning up a flat hill. Going downhill the bike feels rock solid.

The drivetrain is pretty good... I'm liking the SRAM components. I've only used XT / XTR in the past, and have been suprised at the ease of dialing the X7 rear Der in, and it staying true. The BB7's are great. I did have to get rid of the generic Cannondale fire levers, for some very nice Avid Ti's, and have been very happy.

I will be slowly upgrading this bike. My next purchase is probably a Tubeless rear wheel (probably a Mavic 819 Tubeless with a good hub, a SRAM 990 Cassette, and a SRAM 991 chain). The rear end needs to be lighter, and that might help out. I think the front wheel is OK for now... the Lefty and front wheel isn't too heavy at all. Next upgrade will be a new crankset... probably the XT crank, or the FSA V-Drive or Afterburner MegaExo. The stock FSA is pretty generic, but it is ISIS, so it's ok for now.

Overall, I'm very happy with this bike all-around.

Favorite Trail:   Pisah, Fountainhead around DC

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR S-Works 2002, GT Zaskar hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock setup with WTB Rocket saddle, Avid Ti levers, ODI Rouge lock-on grips, Shimano 520 pedals.

Submitted by Steven Jones a Cross Country Rider from Emory, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Increadibly fast descender, doesn't lag on climbs, handles well, descent weight, great parts spec, Lefty

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket height, bottoms out easily, doesn't work with standard fork mounts, handlebars are too wide, stock Lefty spring designed for heavier riders, rear shifting imposible to adjust to perfection

Bottom Line:
This bike is an increadible deal. All of the components are top notch and the matt black finish rocks. On the rough trails the Rush rocks, the faster you go the smother the ride is. My main complaint with the bike is the top-out spring in the Lefty fork. The large bike comes stock sith a spring designed for riders around 200 lbs. I am 145 lbs and can't adjust the fork enough to suit my riding style. Other issues are the Sram X-7 rear derailuer (can't adjust to have perfect shifting), Lefty hub not working with standard fork mounts (trade off for amazing Lefty fork), and the low bottom bracket height. The low bottom bracket sucks in rock garden descents, with the pedals bottoming while pedalling. This last problem is slowly going away as I learn when I need to level the pedals. This bike is a great bike for a first time full suspension user. I have ridden a hard tail for the past 4 years and realy love the smoothness of the Rush. My main suggestion for this bike, don't ride it like a hard tail - trust the suspension and the brakes and let the bike flow.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mountain Trail