Cannondale Rush 6 XC Full Suspension

• Headset: FSA Converter
  • Seat Post: Cannondale C4 Alloy

Submitted by andyfsr a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Quick background
I broke my back in several places and was a decent all round rider then, but i looked like i was never to ride again. Then I said eff it, found this bike and am powering through it, (slowly, very and embarrassingly, slow) but it is good to be able to ride and review after 5 yrs off.
Solid platform-Rush 6 has decent component mix for the money.Climbs better than any bike I have owned-Stable on long XC snigle track

Weaknesses:    Seems long-Not the best in switchbacks but that could be because I ride a large and am probably better suited to a medium. 5'9 short legs long torso.
Brake jack going down hill, might as well be a rigid on the rear when you hit the brakes. Brakes a tad weak too, but work. I just quit braking, no more issues.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine used so it had different grips and some worn out tires but otherwise looked brand new. Very first ride was at a ski resort with new Forte' Tsali tires. Not the best place to test bike but it passed with flying colors and I look forward to going back, especially with bike more finely tuned to fit me.
Next rides were on Front range in the Rockies. This bike climbs. My brother in law is in 5 times better shape and I can climb short mean climbs that kill him and his pogoing bike. No Bob, no bounce just climb. Out in the open range going across country this bike just rocks. I like it.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Duration Product Used:   2 months or so now

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   I have owned several bikes. Fisher Sugar. Specialized Enduro, Various hardtails, Riden more full suspension bikes than I can to list.

Bike Setup:   Basically all stock-Rock Shox Recon upfront, Sram x5 gear and shimano hydro brakes Forte Tsali tires

Submitted by BlueWheels a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Strengths:    Solid Frame, Good Componentry, Great Price,

Weaknesses:    Squeaky Brakes, Stock Tires, Immediately Loose Grips

Bottom Line:
I spent time borrowing bikes from friends and finally made the decision to get one of my own and went with the Cannondale Rush 6 after test riding several at various LBS. I bought the bike because it felt better than anything else I test rode at similar price points and I've been extremely happy with it this year. So far, I have logged just over 500 miles of trail riding and it handles everything (including a couple of big crashes) without a problem. I would understand looking for more suspension travel if you are hitting some big drops, but the movement I have on the Rush is good enough for my day-to-day XC riding on Maryland trails. So far, the only things that have needed to be changed are the grips, because the stocks ones wore out pretty immediately, and the stock tires, which weren't terrible, but I noticed a tremendous difference when I switched them out for some better tires. Overall, I highly recommend the Rush to anyone looking for a reliable MTB that makes it easy to zip around XC trails.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Princeton Sports

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stock other than the grips and tires. Added a computer.

Submitted by rmx711 a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    nice frame, dialed geometry, Fox suspension, pedals well, descends great

Weaknesses:    hubs, X7 shifters, cable routing

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for an all-round XC/trail bike. I race XC, and this bike performs well, although not like a dedicated race bike. However, on any course where there is rough and fast downhills, this bike will pull away from the others. The stock Shimano hubs are complete garbage though, they tore themselves to pieces within the first year. But besides the bearing issues, this bike handles it all. The brakes are enough for most things, and are barely powerful enough to just have a finger on each brake. The Fox suspension is awesome, and it's especially nice because it's not something you usually see on a sub-2K bike. The fork absorbs small and big bumps with ease. Also, the frame has not broken despite the abuse I have thrown at it.

Similar Products Used:   06 stumpjumper, SC superlight

Bike Setup:   09 rush 6 with 60mm stem, X9

Submitted by txF5 a Cross Country Rider from Rowlett,Tx

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    smooth cornering, light feel, good components, great balance

Weaknesses:    none in my opinion

Bottom Line:
This is my first 'squishie' as a friend puts it and I love it. The sram x-7 shifters and rear derailuer work awesome as do the avid juicy 3 brakes. This bike gives me great confidence on the trail no matter what I am doing. The Fox fork and shock soak everything up and the suspension design does not hinder me on climbs. If you can pick one of these up, I highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   RCP

Purchased At:   Don Johle's Bike Wor

Bike Setup:   scott riser bar, shorter stem, black ops platform pedals

Submitted by alliseri a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, tn

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2009

Strengths:    Equiped nicely with Fox 120 fork, and RPL back shock; feels great on the trail, doesn't loose energy on up hill, Smooth for 2 to 3 ft drops

Weaknesses:    Minor components could be upgraded - I had REI upgrade to SRAM X9 back derailleur and coated cables. First time w/ disc brakes - front brake was "deep" squeeze for responding - got intial re-adjustment and response was back - after couple of weeks though it was back to deep squeeze, not sure if will be living w/ that? Pedals suck. I like adjustable pedals. I even pulled my hamstring, so after that they came off

Bottom Line:
Sweet ride, feels great on trails, doesn't take out my energy. I'll be keeping this one for a while. I be using it in a off road Tri in about 4 wks! On top of that, Cannodale marketing did a good job with the paint blue/white. Pretty sweet looking ride

Favorite Trail:   Back Bone, Southern Cali

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Initial setup has the handlebars high, initiall rides I was really worried that the bike size was not right. The good thing aobut REI though is that they will take it back. But the height is very easy to change and 100% better. Another change is the width of the handle bars. Cannodale makes them really wide. I finally hit my hand on a tree and now they are shorter. They are 3 1/2" longer then my last bike

Submitted by Thei Weelen a Cross Country Rider from Sittard-Netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Its a very well steering bike. Its fork (rock Shox) en rear (Fox) are doing a good job. Geometry is almost perfect.

Weaknesses:    Shifting front is not as good as it could be.

Bottom Line:
A very nice bike which will give you value for your money. But hey: It's american, the best!

Favorite Trail:   AWACS BASE Germany

Purchased At:   NATO Store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized en Giant

Bike Setup:   Store. (XT, rock shox, Fox and Avid)

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2008

Strengths:    Seems to be a great bike so far, rides smooth uphill/downhill.

Weaknesses:    A few problems shifting gears, but not horrible.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, good full suspension start up bike. I am having a blast with it.

Purchased At:   NE Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Major813 a Cross Country Rider from tampa, florida

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2008

Strengths:    Low Price and you will want to sell it right away

Weaknesses:    Poor Product all around. I bought Cannondale because of the name. Boy, was the joke on me. The worst XC bike you can buy for the money and i'm pissed !

Bottom Line:
Ok here is the deal. I got this bike as a backup and it is the worst ever !!!!!! There must be some problem with the Gears and the Geometry of the bike. This bike is very slow and when you pedal it you feel like you are dragging a cinder block behind you. I would always notice that I was lagging behind the other guys with this bike and I realized its the Bike ! Too much pedal bob, chain suck, and poor components. Cannondale must be hurting to make a piece of garbage like this. If you are looking for something around the 1k range stay away invest a little more and Buy a Specialized FSRXC or a Giant Trance.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia

Purchased At:   University Bicycle C

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSRXC

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Walled Lake, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    Everything that isn't in the Weaknesses category

Weaknesses:    Front Dr., Brakes, Tires

Bottom Line:
This is to follow up my review from a few months ago. I have put more than a few hours, and miles onto this bike, and this is a more in depth review. The geometry is spot on. You may want to cut down the stock bars a little, as they are quite wide. The reccomended psi in the F/R shocks is pretty accurate. Where this bike could improve is tires, brakes, and maybe FD placement. Lets get into the hard parts. The FD is super hard to adjust due to the placement of the swingarm. I have been unable to make it use all 3 front chainrings, but that is more of an annoyance. As for the brakes, I have found them to be a little tricky to tune in. They squeak when you move the bike, and to make them not squeak, you have to adjust the pads out, which reduces effectiveness, so you have to pick your poison. The tires are my last complaint. They are good as long as you keep the bike upright. The weak tread pattern tends to get loose when cornering, and dances at high speeds, which can get a little scary. For an all mountain bike, the 26 x 2.0 tires may be a little skinny. I am just going to upgrade those. Overall, I still would suggest this bike for someone looking to get into a good FS trail rig. Its made in the USA, and is as good, or better than the competition! A couple of upgrades, and this is a rockin' machine!

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ Crank Bros smarty pedal, ergon grips, and a WTB saddle.

Submitted by Dan the Man a Weekend Warrior from Park City, Utah, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Strong and durable! It goes uphill with no problem, and the shifting seems to work fine for now. No adjustments yet. The front forks are awesome and can handle alot of pounding on the trail.

Weaknesses:    None to whine at so far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike! I recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   The Flume Trail

Purchased At:   White Pine Touring

Similar Products Used:   The Cannondale Prophet, and some Specialized bike that was very nice.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Good frame/geometry, decent fork/shock

Weaknesses:    Cheap Shimano Alivio/Deore/SRAM X-7/SRAM SX-5/TruVativ components mix to keep cost down. Disk brakes mechanic, only 160 mm rotors etc.

Bottom Line:
This was the demo bike at the LBS.

If I'd buy a stock Rush model I would invest a few bucks more and get the Rush 5, which I think is the best in terms of price/value.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jason Whiteson a Weekend Warrior from Walled Lake, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    Solid frame, nice fork up front, love the SRAM portion of the drivetrain, excellent looking bike

Weaknesses:    The Truvativ crank is noisy enough to be irriating, front derailluer (Shim. Deore) doesn't quite do its job without a great deal of adjustment. The standard saddle is only good for pain lovers, that thing is narrow, and thin!

Bottom Line:
Overall, this is a great XC trail bike! The frame is rock solid, as is the Rock Shox Recon that they spec'd on the front. It was good seeing a higher end fork on this one, whereas others in this price range had Marz. MX /MZ's, RS Toras, and Darts, and Manitou Slates, and Axels. The air shocks on both ends do their jobs pretty well, and its abuse just to have me on the thing, much less going though the woods, as I am a clydesdale size rider.... This bike does seem like it will take a few more rides to get broken in, and working as its capable of. It handles my weight, and in-efficent (but improving) riding style nicely, and really smooths out the trail! This bike is more comfortable than the Santa Cruz Superlite by quite a bit, and $400.00 less, they even look similar. I would recommend this bike to anyone who likes to pretty much keep 2 wheels on the dirt. Also if you are interested in a similar bike from Cannondale, make sure you go see Chad, and Kim at the Ride Boutique in Brighton, Michigan, awesome people, awesome shop, doesn't get any better!

Favorite Trail:   Lakeshore / Island LAke

Purchased At:   The Ride Boutiqe

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden a SRAM equipped Fisher Marlin for the past few years, and I demo'd a Giant Anthem, Giant Trance, Specialized XC pro, Kona Kikapu, Santa Cruz Superlight, and Heckler, and a few other bikes....

Bike Setup:   Crank Bros. Smarty Pedals, Lizard Skins lock on grips, WTB speed V saddle, otherwise stock.

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    light, fast, fun, pedals fast, does fine on dh, and great on uphills, and cheap, if you find the right seller. ;-)

Weaknesses:    hmm, a chainguide would be nice, and my brakes are kinda lame, but, those dont matter to much, who needs brakes?

Bottom Line:
SUPER FUN BIKE, wow, take this out on the trails, rocky, smooth, uphill, downhill, whatever, ITS FREAKIN FUN. i love this bike, almost as much at my vp-free! for trail riding the amount of travel and quality of the travel are perfect for everything. This bike just makes me giggle like a school girl when i ride it, and i dont plan on stopping any time soon. :) Go buy one.

Purchased At:   trade plus cash

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher marlin, i also own a santa cruz vp-free.

Bike Setup:   almost stock.

Submitted by Leo Cavalli a Weekend Warrior from Venezuela

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great equipment for the money you pay. Manitou Recon feels great! almost lock feeling when pedaling seated. Very stable frame, very nice and simple lookng frame.

Weaknesses:    Up to now, none. Just a bit noisy truvativ crank set.

Bottom Line:
Great bke, not expensive set up. Same frame as more expensive bikes on the same line. If you´re on a low budget, go for the rush 6 and upgrade bit by bit. Get a better crank set, and you are done. GREAT BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   La Siria - Guatire

Similar Products Used:   Super V800.

Bike Setup:   Standard, as bought.

Submitted by Dzanda a Weekend Warrior from Hampton Roads, Virginia

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Strengths:    Terrific value; superb suspension provides excellent steering and comfort; decent running gear (for the price); stable geometry; seems plenty tough for its intended purpose.

Weaknesses:    Could have better running gear; the BB-7 discs don't stop quite as strongly as I thought they would... maybe they aren't broken-in yet.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike as an exchange for a defective Super-V... and I like this bike much more (I guess it was time to switch!). I have no real gripes at this point.

As a guy who doesn't ride technical stuff... I'm extremely happy with the Rush, and definitely recommend it to folks who are more into endurance riding. I doubt it would hold up for big-rock riders... but then it wasn't designed for that.

Purchased At:   Conte's