Cannondale Rush 5 XC Full Suspension

• Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
  • Handlebars: FSA XC-281AOS, 25 mm rise

Submitted by Vinnie

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight and climbs like a goat but also descends great for an xc bike. The lefty is amazing especially with it's lockout feature

Weaknesses:    LOW BOTTOM BRACKET!!

Bottom Line:
This was my first mountain bike and is still my current ride 6 years later. This bike is phenomenal all around. Climbing is a breeze, steering is quick and the lefty works like a charm. Over my 6 years of ownership there is not on stock part on the bike besides, well, the frame itself. My only beefs with this bike in its STOCK form are 1) the CST tires are too narrow 2) mechanical brakes are finicky and my last gripe (which is just solved by using a 2 ring crank w/ bash guard) is the low bottom bracket. I hit the bottom bracket big ring on rocks and log crossing far too often but with the bash guard and 2x9 drivetrain its no problem at all. Over all this bike is fantastic for a beginner to an expert.

Submitted by Lu?s_Velez a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    The frame, Lefty and Fox make a great pair!

Weaknesses:    Low end peripherals for such a bike!

Bottom Line:
A super frame with super damping system. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, it just pushes me further and further in the tracks, I simply can't get enough of this bike! I have it for two years and she'll stay with me for many more. I've always dream of having a Cannondale and now I won't let her go. The only least good thing I can say about the original bike setup is that it comes with some crappy low end peripherals: tyres, saddle and grips where immediatelly gone, the rest endured a couple miles more. Now she is just the way I want her to be, and she'll be with me forever! She's mine I say, all mine!!!

Purchased At:   Bike Zone

Similar Products Used:   BH Expert, Scott Scale 35, Scott Spark, Cube AMS100, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Nowadays - XT/X0/X9 drivetrain, Magura Louise BAT Carbon brakes, Lefty/Hope Pro II/Mavic XC717 wheelset

Submitted by gunksdave a Cross Country Rider from Sea Cliff, NY

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride. I am very pleased with the geometry. Handles well on twisty stuff and downhills. Climbs better than my rocky hard-tail much to my surprise.
MADE IN USA

Weaknesses:    A terrible creaking in the bottom braket. LBS could not find it. Cannondale rep said it was internal. Reccommended very tiny drill holes to be filled with lubricant (I forget what kind). It rides silently now and hole are so small I don't even know they are there. Should last more than a year. When it starts to creak again I just go in for another injection.

Bottom Line:
I will ride the hell out of this bike until I destroy it or it becomes so outdated I need to upgrade. It is a very comfortable all day trail ride :)

Favorite Trail:   East Setauket

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   stock with fox shocks.

Submitted by valiant1974 a Cross Country Rider from Norfolk,NE

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is a solid performer at this pricepoint. The Lefty is light and smooth. The 2006 & 2007 alloy framed Rush can be greatly improved by converting the wheelset to 650b. I had problems with the Lefty shortly after purchasing the bike and it was swapped for a brand new one by the LBS with no questions asked.

Weaknesses:    low bottom-bracket height
defective Lefty that was warrantied by Cannondale with no questions asked.

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite bike since the 650b wheelset upgrade. For now, this is the closest you can get to a full suspension Cannondale 29er. This might be even better!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim-Moab, UT

Similar Products Used:   Various Cannondale hardtail bikes through the years.

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgrade to Stan's/NoTubes 355 ZTR 650b wheelset & Pacenti Neo-Moto tires.

Submitted by mueller a Weekend Warrior from Prosper

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    Once figured out I think it performs well.

Weaknesses:    As for this bike all my confidence issues were taken away by the addition of an x-firm negative spring kit for the lefty. Each size bike comes with a specific negative spring. I ride a large bike but my weight demanded a firmer negative spring( As says the cannondale set up guide). And the reviews are right some lefty fronts missed some lock tite somewhere. Once these to issues were resolved I think the bike is fine. O-yea AVID Elixir CR with 203mm's are outstanding for me at about 220lbs geard up. Just thought I would shead some light on the lefty subject because alot of people seem to be unhappy with them. All the info you need to solve your concerns should be on the cannondale web site or your local bike shop.

Bottom Line:
The bike will preform well it you get it set up right; and what ever you do be sure it gets some lock tie before it leaves the shop or you will end up like the person that had the really bad luck.

Favorite Trail:   Erwin Park

Purchased At:   Houston Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Ridin other hardtails but the full is much better for me.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the CR's.

Submitted by csi13 a Cross Country Rider from bristol,connecticut

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    good bike,decent shifters

Weaknesses:    mechanical brakes,i mean u can find these on bikes $500 less. the lefty is good but not great,its "stiction- less" trvel is the problem,i've flipped the bike because the lefty absorbs the bumps but then does not go over them,u go over the handelbars. the grips and tires suck replace them be fore u leave the shop,my hands start 2 hurt the first minute i start riding

Bottom Line:
it is an ok bike,i loved the prophet i tried but it got sold. the brakes should realy be hydraulic and the tires should be upgraded along with the grips

Purchased At:   bikers edge,

Similar Products Used:   2007 cannondale prophet 5

Bike Setup:   stock except for platform pedelsand specilized comfort grips

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Akron, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2008

Strengths:    Handles well. Lefty has a lockout. Great fit for me, I feel really comfortable but able to ride aggressively.

Weaknesses:    Grips, component failures, Cannondale service.

Bottom Line:
Lefty had a catastrophic manufacturing or installation defect, had to be replaced, I had to pay for shipping after 3.5 weeks of waiting.
Metal shavings rattling around in the top tube. I guess this was a good thing, it forced my bike shop to take the fork off to get at them, they noticed the fork problem then.
Crank has constant creeking. I can probably fix it, but it is a brand new bike and I shouldn't have to.
Rear shock went bad after I got the Lefty repaired. At first this was gradual, I noticed it when I was hitting my crank arms on the ground on gentle turns. Then after pumping the shock back up it would drop pressure overnight.
I have barely ridden this bike off-road and on nothing I would consider rough or technical. My other Cannondale has been nearly flawless over 13 years of use. I take good care of it and it still mostly stock. I have put more abuse on it, a hardtail with a 50mm elastomer sprung fork, than the new bike. I really want to like this bike but I have lost faith in it. My bike shop has had it for more time than I have in the first 2 months of ownership. I will take care of the warranty issues, sell it, and probably go back to a midlevel hardtail.

Purchased At:   Ohio's Largest Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   95 Cannondale F700
99 KHS Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Cameron a Racer from Riverton, Ut, US

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Lefty speed is amazing, fox rear is nice too. Can't go wrong with sram.

Weaknesses:    Mechanical disc brakes are a little weak, have to adjust them every few rides. Bottom bracket is a little low. end up hitting rocks when crank is extended down.

Bottom Line:
Good solid bike for the price. Not too bad at only 29 lbs. Good weekend warrior, or good race bike for a few upgrades.

Favorite Trail:   Ghost Falls

Purchased At:   Infinite Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet, several hardtails

Bike Setup:   bone stock for now.

Submitted by Airmale a Weekend Warrior from Hannover, Germany

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome rear suspension, soaks up everything. Maybe the most elaborated one pivot design on the market. Front travel upgraded to 120mm in 2008, plus new head tube gusset and swingarm improvement. Avid Juicy 3s are a blast. Beautiful welds. The look. The frame ist the thing! Has more travel than promised.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Deore Hubs, but they´ll do. Additionally you will have to protect the frame from cable rub all by yourself. The cable hose on the right side, close to the pivot, will propably damage the frame badly, I just noticed that a few days ago, and it has already gotten down to the metal. Be sure to check on this.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a light All Mountain bike with enough travel to ride every trail in my area. The 2008 Rush does that very well. The Prophet would have had more travel and a Freeride feel, but I wanted the lightness of the Rush for extra climbing performance. In fact I can take every nasty, rooty and rocky trail that previously scared me on my Yeti hardtail.
Cannondale says that the Rush has 110cm of rear travel, but magazines testing it always get more out of it, maybe Cdale wants to keep the difference to the burly Prophet. Who cares when you get extra rear travel that elevates the bike into the cushy All Mountain class together with the 120mm Recon fork? Flip that blue switch on the Fox shock, go up efficiently. Switch it to "cushy" and fly down like a downhill racer (well, kinda...).
The wheelbase and geometry feel excellent for fast downhills. Just point the bars somewhere and GO! The difference to some friend´s bikes that I tested, and that handled like a shopping cart is surprising. Very confidence inspiring together with the travel. I can just trust this bike and it makes me grin on every ride. If your focus is not about jumping and dropping but riding fast (swoooooosh) this one is for you.

I recently saw pictures of Cdales new "Rize" All Mountain Bike and knew I had bought the right bike. The Rush´s top tube gives you just the required freedom for your sensitive parts. Also confidence inspiring when pushing your skills, which is what this bike encourages: All day trail surfing, riding on the edge, radical amusement, going further than you thought you would. (And gotta protect this first class frame from the mean cables...) I definetely will upgrade this bike the following years.

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude, Cannondale Super V, Prophet (tried), Mongoose NX 8, Yeti Arc.

Bike Setup:   Outa the shop... added lock on grips, my fav. saddle and flat pedals for a tougher riding style.

Submitted by Sam Ridger a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Solid Overall Full Suspension Mountain Bike. Great response and stiff as a full suspension can get.

Weaknesses:    No major complaints. Grips are a little slippery. Getting used to the Lefty. Seat post should come with a quick release.

Bottom Line:
Buy one if you can find one. Great bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Roan Mtn

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll

Bike Setup:   Straight from the manufacturer

Submitted by Adam M. a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    ~Strength, derailures are good and reliable, not great though
~Lefty
~Feels VERY stable on the trails
~ Mine came in at 28.79 lbs after upgrades, pretty good!

Weaknesses:    ~BB-7 brakes are good but I went with the Juicy 5's for better power and responsivenes
~Grips
~Huge, heavy stock bars
~Tires are terrible, dont waste your time riding them, replace them immiedeately. This is maddening that this tire comes on a $1700 bike and also comes on the $370 hardtail (F7). Cannondale needs to upgrade stock tires for this bike.(They put Maxxis Ridgelines on for '08)

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, if you are looking to buy one, definetly do it. This bike is well worth it! Buy this if you are a speed hungry weekend warrior, with an eye on your wallet. Dont buy this if you are a weight weenie. This is also a great bike to start racing on. I did my first race at 7 Springs on this bike, it was great! Thanks Cannondale!

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood, Frick, Boyce

Purchased At:   Pittsburgh Pro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None of my previous bikes can compair.
~Specialized Hardrock Pro

Bike Setup:   ~Stock other than: Juicy 5 Brakes, Oury Gips, and Panaracer Fire XC Pro's
~Bars, seat, and seat post are the next victims of replacement

Submitted by Jered a Cross Country Rider from Alpharetta

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Strengths:    The geometry of the bike is absolutely incredible. It provides unmatched stability.

Weaknesses:    sram x-7 triggers and rear derailluer. Prefer XTR.

Bottom Line:
This bike is extremely fun and easy to ride. The comfort while riding this bike is almost unbelievable. It takes anything you throw at it and chews it up without hesitation!

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Hi-Fi

Submitted by Forrest Bennett a Cross Country Rider from newport beach

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    Super fun bike. Very comfy, soaks up bumps, climbs well, descends even better. Great bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Brakes,and a tad heavy

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Highly recomended

Favorite Trail:   whiting ranch

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   all stock except pedals(i switched out because i am not a fan of clips

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Frame, fork, rear suspension

Weaknesses:    Grips, BB, brakes

Bottom Line:
Had the bike about 6 weeks and love it! Handles like a dream, climbs like a goat, eats rocks for breakfast. The bottom bracket has started to really creak after 6 weeks and the brakes are squeaking like crazy. Brake levers also are not very firm. The suspension was easy to dial in and almost never needs adjustment. BB is low which is good for XC but LOW for obstacles. I would buy higher end if I had to do it again but I would stick with a lefty Cannondale again though as I dig the feel.

Favorite Trail:   Murphy