Cannondale Rush 400 XC Full Suspension

Rims: Sun Black Eye Disc, 32 hole
Hubs: Shimano M475

Submitted by K-Lubb G.

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    I got this bike about a year ago on Craigslist. I ride this bike hard. Pushing it to its limits. I am constantly being amazed with its life. I have cased 30 foot jumps time and time again, even bottoming out the front and rear shock, and I am always able to pick up the bike and ride on. It is extremely versatile some days I ride strict XC and others I do some tech downhill and it handles it all incredibly. The frame is solid, it is relatively light and it handles great.

Weaknesses:    My front left fork has been leaking oil. It doesn’t seem to effect the performance, but its a hassle having to constantly wipe up the oil of the stanchions. It has an invert front fork and I am constantly being asked whether I put it on backwards! I will probably buy a new front fork considering its leak. I also got the 15in (small) size frame, and I am about 5.8 now, so i will need to get a bigger bike. Also the stock tires are way to narrow. I ended up putting a 2.4 on the front and a 2.6 on the back, compared to the stock size of a 1.8.

Bottom Line:
If you are serious about getting a bike a Cannondale RUSH 400 or any of their later models. You are making the right choice.

Submitted by g.sop a Weekend Warrior from ft. lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Good strong frame, nice fork, and cannondale name

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for anyone who takes long weekend rides sometimes i ride 3 or 4 hours at a time and it is very comfortable. I recomend this bike to anyone looking for a new trail mechine.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   giant a/c

Bike Setup:   2006 Rush. swinger x3 rear shock, vuelta xrp rims, easton ea70 stem and bars, wtb pure v seat, avid juicy 5 brakes, clipless pedals

Submitted by Jason Puett a Cross Country Rider from Meriden, Kansas, USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    great frame, smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Original wheelset comes with Shimano m475 hubs-terrible for longevity, cones show terrible wear, must replace. Shocks have shown their wear, but tune-up brought it back to life. Cheap headset, upgrade. Seat post-upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Frame is the same used on all models for this year. The 400 gives you an entry level into the Rush series and allows you to upgrade to your liking. Allows full choice of components, unlike the better versions that use mostly Cannondale specific components.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Recyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kona Caldera, Mongoose full suspension, Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn Rocket 88.

Submitted by David Eisenhower a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale, PA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Strengths:    Great setup for the price, it is a Cannondale after all. Enough travel to make it comfortable and a good all day bike. Disc brakes and shifting are both a dream.

Weaknesses:    The Manitou Radium R had no lockout and took a lot of tuning to set the sway and the rebound before we left the shop.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding hard tails for six years, Schwinn S95.5, Marin Pine Mountain, Cannondale F500, so full suspension is still fairly new to me. But this bike has impressed me with comfort and capability I didn't expect. The SRAM shifters are smooth and fast when you need them, and the Avid disc brakes stop you yesterday! 100mm of travel on the front fork and 3 inches of travel in the rear have eaten everything I've thrown at it so far, logs, ladders, rocks, falls, you name it! An excellent setup out of the box, just ensure you set the sway and rebound correctly to keep the ride smoother.

Favorite Trail:   Ralph Stover High Rocks

Purchased At:   Scooters of Souderton, PA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V 500, Cannondale Super V 700

Bike Setup:   Stock setup w/ Crank Bros Egg Beaters Ti pedals

Submitted by Rune Gundersen a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    Frame, front and rear shocks, sram, looks, fast

Weaknesses:    Components like seat, handelbars, seatpost

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and if you upgrade the components it`s even a greater bike. My weight in about 13,5kg before I upgrade it, now it`s about 11,8 kg. It`s handlig fantastic in all terrain and its fast like the Scalpel.Wery fun too ride and you can ride it all day.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Upgrade with SRAM XO, Ritchey Seat, Ritchey Carbon riser, Tune setpost, FSA wheels

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Strengths:    Frame all the way

Weaknesses:    Seat and components. Seems like it's constantly requiring tune-ups. And my ass is hating the seat!! Too hard

Bottom Line:
I'm hooked on this sport all over again. After owning my first full suspension bike about 5 yrs ago and only owning it for about 2 months before it was stolen I swore I would never spend this kind of money on a bike again. I'm hooked like never before and it's all this bike. I can't stay off the seat. I have noticed compared to the next model up that the components are a little low end. The brakes are great but are not as easy to adjust as the next model up. I think after I add clipless pedels I'm going to look into upgrading some of the components to aid in shifting performance. The craftsmanship is excellent besides strength the double welding and blending shows that attention to detail I love. Not to mention Made in the USA!!

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   Competive Edge

Similar Products Used:   Some GT from back in the day. This ones got me hooked on the sport all over again

Bike Setup:   All stock except for Stan's tubless kit, and Terry fly Ti seat. Soon to upgrade to clipless pedels.

Submitted by Oscar a Cross Country Rider from Westcoast Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    Frame

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike as my first entry level FS and really learned to enjoy it having ridden only HT:s before. Since you get what you pay for the components are not the best. A lot of them have been changed already. The pedals are now CB Candy, the stem is a shorter Easton with more raise, the tires are now Schwalbe Big Betty, the rims are now Mavic Crossland, the chain is a XTR and the front shifter is a Shimano XT. Since the frame is so nice it´s been worth upgrading. Next is the rear derailleur because it changes gears improperly and feels cheap.

The ride is smooth and the bike flows over those naughty roots and stones. It also climbs very well and very little pivot movement when pedaling on flat surfaces

I would recommend this bike any day!

Favorite Trail:   Fast singletracks and mud

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    Frame, fork

Weaknesses:    front hub, shifters, derailleurs

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike knowing that I would eventually upgrade the components due to poor performance, and breakage, and they have so far proven me right. The front hub squeals and has shown a tendency to loosen after so many miles of riding. It has never shifted properly, even after repeated tune-ups. That's the bad. As for the good, this frame kicks a$$. It is low to the ground which may cause some riders to make adjustments in the way they approach some obsticles, but once you get used to it, it's not a problem. This bike eats up the tech stuff...rocks, roots, 2-3-4 footers are a breeze. Handles like dream on the corners. The R7 is a great shock so far, and barring any unforseen issues, I don't see any reason to trade it out. This bike also climbs very well for a full sus with no lock out. Bottom line is I would buy this bike again and again. If you have the dough, spring for the more expensive model, save yourself some trouble with the stock components. The Overall Rating below is for the frame, fork, and overall ride.

Favorite Trail:   The Shed

Purchased At:   bike dr arnold md