Cannondale Rush 4 XC Full Suspension

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    - Acceleration
- Climbing
- Turning
- Simple, proven single pivot suspension.

Weaknesses:    There isn't much. Sometimes I'm jealous of my friends who have more travel, but I don't really need a lot of travel on the trails I ride.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Rush 4 back in 2007. I absolutely loved it. It accelerated like a cheetah, climbed like a goat, and turned on a dime.

Then I made a huge mistake: I sold her. In my defense, my knees were hurting and I thought road biking would be easier on them so I sold her to fund a road bike.

A year later, I realized that I generally don't like road biking so I spent thousands of dollars on various bikes and never found one that made me feel the way I did on my Rush.

So I went out and bought a used one off of eBay with plans of turning it into a 650b.

I won't be buying another full suspension bike any time soon.

This thing is fast, turns sharp, and is overall a blast to ride. Adding the 650b wheels made a great bike even better. It is almost like Cannondale designed it as a 650b. The increased BB height is helpful, and the additional rollover of the 650b is awesome.

I will say that 650b feels much closer to 26er than a 29er (and I'm fine with that).

Favorite Trail:   Matson Hill

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Flash 29er, Cannondale Trail 29er SSer, Redline 'Cog 29er, Redline Cog 26er, Fezzari Solitude

Bike Setup:   650b (Stan's Crest with Pacenti Neo Motos 2.1), Race Face carbon cranks, Azonic Flat pedals, no-name ergo grips with bar ends.

Submitted by Ealahan1 a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs and accelerates like crazy and leaves everyone I ride with in the dust on the hills. Point and shoot accuracy all around, I stopped hitting trees.

Weaknesses:    looks funny

Bottom Line:
This is my second full suspension bike. It is incredible... i was very close to buying the Santa Cruz Superlight when I found this bike on EBAY close to where I live. I bought the bike and have to say that the thing is incredible. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but the riding improvement is evident. My buddy whose owned several Full Suspension bikes is being left in the dust now... Awesome for the Short guy! I bought it for the Single pivot design and the fact that everyone said it climbs great... They were right! I think I got a good price... it's a 2006.

Favorite Trail:   USNWWC

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90

Bike Setup:   Lefty front fork, Upgraded to XT hydraulic brakes, levers, and derailleurs by the previous owner.

Submitted by matthtchero5 a Racer from new jersey

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2010

Strengths:    The lefty is so awesome I love the way it turns at high speeds and I love the shimano deore LX fluid disc brakes and speed shifters and I. Changed out the tires to continental edge tires.very knoby and they grip in to mud like its not even there at all.

Weaknesses:    The seat sucks.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for what I paid for it.

Favorite Trail:   round valley

Purchased At:   garden state highway

Similar Products Used:   My 2010 cannondale rush 4 is my First full suspention bike. But closest was raliegh gary fisher wahoo disc very nice hard tail for 800.

Bike Setup:   Not stock

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Havelock, NC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth and quick, climbs like nothing eltse. The lefty is solid and takes anything you throw at it. Never have to use the pro pedal, theres no pedal bob. It soaks up all the roots and bumps on the NC trails amazingly.

Weaknesses:    The stock tires are junk, thats it.

Bottom Line:
This thing climbs like you wouldnt believe and will fly down hill with great control. The lefty gets lots of attention and holds up to the hype. Im loving the Scram set up, iv always been a rapid fire guy im the past. This bike performs outstanding in quick switch backs and technical sections. The RP23 soaks up all the NC roots like their not even there, i can stay in the saddle longer and just roll over them if need be. Amazing bike peroid.

Favorite Trail:   Pirhana Pit

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   My first full suspension bike.

Submitted by Sideknob a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    FAST! Fairly light. Definitely cool and exotic. Not many around so you won't see too many on your trails. Pedals really well. Climbs really well, rough or smooth. Single pivot is very simple - no creaks! The Lefty is awesome. Cannondale guarantee. People will ogle your fork. :)

Weaknesses:    The only hassle would be the expensive Lefty stem if you needed to swap stems and of course the Lefty hub prevents you putting any regular wheel on the front. The standard grips were non locks ons so I have replaced them as they were too soft and vague and spun on the bars. The low bottom bracket does see you whack the pedals and cranks on rocks and roots from time to time. So if you ride in a lot of rocky stuff where clearance is an issue, look elsewhere at it will drive you mad. But this bike is not mean for boulder bashing anyway.

Bottom Line:
I have been a long time hardtail holdout, though if I was to go dually I was always keen on a single pivot bike for the simplicity. Single pivots are not all that common really. Well, I got this Rush 4SL from the LBS as a NOS 2008 model, for a lot cheaper than it should be. (listed at $4600AUD, paid $3150). I'm so glad I went with this bike as there has been ZERO learning curve for me, coming off light HT's. This thing climbs faster in the rough, is faster pretty much everywhere and is just great to ride. It's relatively light, stiff and pedals really well. No drag, very little bob (I rarely use the Propedal). The bike is near silent to ride - no chainslap, no linkage creaks or squeaks and there is one big pivot to look after. The Lefty makes other XC forks feel like a wet noodle it is that stiff. I won't be able to go back to a regular fork after this! Everything works well - the SRAM X9 shifts perfectly - I love SRAM, X9 has been on my last couple of bikes. The Juicy 7's have power and modulation and look cool. The FSA bars are PHAT but light, and the 25mm rise is perfect for me. The C/Dale seatpost has a bolt and thumbwheel for ease of fine adjustment and is very light. The Fizik saddle could be more comfy... The 24 hole wheels are still straight as a die and are light and stiff. The standard grips were not lock ons and were too thick and were loose - I now have lock ons. I know you can pay more for C/Dale but these are not a cookie cutter bike. Roadies stare, Joe Public stares at the Lefty fork and other riders on cookie cutter bikes will envy your exotic ride.

Similar Products Used:   This is my first dually.

Bike Setup:   Rush 4 SL frame. Lefty Speed, 110mm. SRAM X9 shifters and rear mech. LX front mech. SRAM GXP1 cranks. DT Swiss X450 rims, 24 hole. Ringle rear hub. Lefty front hub. Maxxis Rendez 2.1 front, Monorail Exception 2.1 rear. FSA XC281 bars. Cannondale post, Fizik saddle. RP23 rear shock. Avid Juicy 7 brakes.

Submitted by traffic002 a Cross Country Rider from Issaquah, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Superb handling, simplistic elegance of a single pivot, Lefty.

Weaknesses:    bike rack compatibility. pedals. seat.

Bottom Line:
I picked up my 2007 model new in 2009. I ride PNW technical rainforest/valley single track. After chasing the FS riders in the group rides all winter, it was apparent that I needed to step up from a HT as the trails began to dry. What a difference hydro disc and a simple SP suspension makes.

The low BB allows for awesome handling. Watch out for pedal strikes though. AT 30#, it's not a lightweight, but it carries the weight well and does very well on technical climbs.

It's not quite as flickable as the Superlight in super tight switchbacks, but at any speed above it, it just walks away thanks to the accuracy of the Lefty. Just think about the line you want to take and its there!

The LX brakes work surprisingly well. Great initial bite and modulation. I've tried some Juicy 5 brakes and these feel a bit better.

My only complaints are the seat.

Favorite Trail:   Black Diamond

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle Co.

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new SPD pedals and new mud specific tires

Submitted by segov a Cross Country Rider from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Strengths:    The Lefty shock! This bike is a phenominal climber - I never need to use the pro pedal as it does not bob. Downhill is amazing - The bike has a very low center of gravity and therefore the handing is precise and very responsive.

Weaknesses:    The seat.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and I love riding it. My confidence level has increased dramtically. I ride the bike on more aggressive terrain than it was made for so I take a beating on the rougher trails, but then again this is a cross country bike!

Buy this bike if you want to kick everyone's butt climbing, Buy it if you want to kick everyone's butt descending single track. Don't buy it is you're taking bigger than 4-5' jumps or your fav trail has REALLY rocky FAST trails. Rocky good, Fast good, together you'll need more travel.

Expect people to stare at your rig because of the Lefty!

Favorite Trail:   Mailboxes - UC Santa Cruz

Purchased At:   Wheel Away

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Specialized Stumpy

Bike Setup:   Replaced the stock rims with Mavic Crosstrail tubeless. Switched out the eggbeater for shimano's and dumped that horrible seat for a WTB Pure V Pro.

Submitted by rktect a Weekend Warrior from Sun Valley

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    The climbs and descents are nothing like I have experienced before. There is no pedal bob with the Fox Float RP2, so you save money by not needing the higher cost RP23.

Weaknesses:    Components are adequate, but not the best. Of course that may be more to do with the price point of the Rush 4 vs. the Rush 3 or 1. The saddles are notoriously painful. Eggbeaters are great, but the C model has no business on a mtn bike as they bend to easily.

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike no matter how you look at it.

Favorite Trail:   Oregon Gulch

Purchased At:   Backwoods Mountain S

Similar Products Used:   Specialized StumpJumper FSR, Cannondale F200.

Bike Setup:   Stock for the first year (except upgraded to Eggbeater S pedals), then replaced the Saddle, and the drive train. Upgraded to SRAM X.0

Submitted by dhridah a Cross Country Rider from Washington,NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    Well equipped for the price. Climbs well and descends like a dream. Never thought I would care for the lefty but I am a convert. Fork is just plain awsome!

Weaknesses:    Tires are ok for hardpack but suck in any kind of mud.

Bottom Line:
I had stayed away from Cannondale for a long time as they were always equipped with junk but I have to say that it is no longer the case. I usually will build a bike from the ground up but decided to take a chance and I am pleasantly surprised. The only problem I ran into was the stock Eggbeater pedals. I had one of the springs fail so I replaced them with the 2Ti's. Definately worth the money!

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock-Allamuchy

Purchased At:   Cycle Craft

Similar Products Used:   2000 GT Team I-Drive

Bike Setup:   Easton Carbon post, Easton Carbon Riser bars, Stan's Tubeless w/IRC Serac XC Lite tires, Avid Juicy 7 Carbon and Eggbeater 2Ti's.

Submitted by riv359 a Cross Country Rider from Mobile, AL

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    The bike climes like there’s no tomorrow. Lightweight, all around suspension. Probably the best components in its price range. Low maintenance, Fast Bike!

Weaknesses:    I have not yet found a weakness but if anything is the push push shifters, I am more of a rapidfire type…

Bottom Line:
Liked I mentioned the bike climes very good and descends like a champ. The frame is stiff and combined with the lefty, maneuvers pretty good. This is only my second bike full suspension but for riding for quit some years this Rush 4 defiantly makes me a better rider all around. The lefty has a big range for adjustment (14 clicks) that once you dial it there’s nothing stopping you. I love this bike! Look in to it if you want speed and comfort.

Favorite Trail:   ATC

Purchased At:   Eastern Shore Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Sommet

Bike Setup:   Stock, with crankbrothers pedals

Submitted by jpeters52 a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, AZ, U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight. Lefty fork so far works very well. Easy to access lockout.

Weaknesses:    Low ? bottom bracket- frequently hitting pedal on rocks and will need to get a bash guard. Lefty fork- if you aren't mechanically inclined (like me) it could pose a problem as front wheel doesn't come off easily. I'm also concerned that fork problems would mean shipping it to cannondale, doubt anyone local can work on it.

Bottom Line:
If your trails have small obstacles and you want a lightweight full suspension bike for long distances then it is really good. Fortunately I don't do anything very technical so it should work out for me. Hoping the fork doesn't give me problems.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Bike Setup:   Stock except spd pedals and a different saddle.

Submitted by GEOS a Weekend Warrior from Alpharetta

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs are steller, decents are fantastic. Bike is the best bike I've ridden so far. I think it's got a fantastic spec for a bike in this range.

Weaknesses:    If it has a weakness I would have to say it's the tires. They get under me quite a bit. I'll have to lower the pressure and or get rid of them. I just don't like they way they feel on the the ground. I cant stand the SRAM push / push it's akward. I'm a Rapid Fire Shifter type. But it does shift well and shifts are very precise and quick.

Bottom Line:
After owning a Giant 2000 NRS_XtC1 and a 2006 Cannondale Scalpel 1000. I think i found the perfect ride for me. I love this bike It's super light it's much lighter than I expected comparing it to my Giant and it felt a little lighter than my Scalple. It definally rides nicer IMO than my Scalple that thing was pretty harsh it felt more like a hard tail than anything else. For a single piviot design Cannondale did a great job keeping the Rush simple. It's considered a Marathon bike desigend to ride long distances. If that's the case I'm going to have to get a real fat gel seat. I'm amazed at how well it climbs and desends the Left locked out is really locked out. It's stiff going down I almost ate it doing a quick desecent and forgot to take the lockout off. Good spec on the bike although I love the Juicy 7 hydro brakes the little adjustment knob on the levers actually do work. I'm a Shimano Rapid Fire shifter guy I'm having a hard time adjusting to the push / push SRAMx9 triggers sytem.To be honest I don't like it at all. Every thing else seems to be solid. The eggbeater pedals I'm stilll on the fence though. The best pedals I've used so far have been the ATAC TIME I think there called they were awsome. But I'm sure I'll get used to these as well. I've also used Shimano's SPD's I'll try these out some more before I make up my mind. Shifting is solid I still need to tweak the fd a bit as it's rubbing a little in the midle chain ring. But I like the shifters and shifting seems precise and quick. The rear shock locks out nicely so does the lefty and is easy to switch over while on the move. I still need to tweak a thing or two but so far I'm extremely satisfied.
[img] [/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/2775574325_40f3f86e3e_o.jpg[/img]

All Pics
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/28903237@N06/sets/72157606816989198/[/url]

Favorite Trail:   Chickopee Woods

Purchased At:   Craigs List

Similar Products Used:   01 Giant NRS, NRS_XtC, 98 Jamis Durango, 06Cannondale Scalple 1000 08 Cannondale Rush 4sl

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by JeffSK a Cross Country Rider from Blue Mountains, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Strengths:    Everything.

Bottom Line:
These bikes are the best. There is a lot of criticism about the lefty, but only from people that can't afford the rush. The lefty is absolutely awesome, as is the whole Rush frame. Rigid, very easy to control, very light weight (about 12.5kg). You won't find better. I love this bike (second to my wife and kids) !!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Narrow Neck

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Submitted by kmcintyre a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    Loved the Lefty shock. Don't notice it and lock out is easy to get to. I'm going to have the shop put the Red neg. spring in per Cannondale's recommendation.

Weaknesses:    Since this was a demo the only issue I had was the tires. I'm going to put tubeless on so that doesn't matter. The only thing to consider though is with a Lefty shock, you need an adapter for the fork to use your racks or get an upgright carrier. Brakes made a little noise but again, this was a demo bike.

Bottom Line:
I looked at most the major manufacturers and based on components, weight, etc. this met my needs the best. I got a little break on the 2008's at my LBS so that sold me and I had nothing but good luck w/ my old C'dale Super V1000. I rode this hard over about 90 miles and 11,000' of vertical in 2 days out of the shop. I either got real lucky or it's a fantastic seat but I'm only marginally sore. I'll repost after I get my own, new bike but overall, very nice and I ordered one.