Cannondale Rush 3Z XC Full Suspension

• Saddle: Fi'zi:k Nisene II Sport
  • Seat Post: Cannondale C3 2014 Alloy

Submitted by boobano29 a Weekend Warrior from Lakeland, FL, Polk

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    Great package. High end components with Sram xo, ESA, etc...Durable bike...they way a mountain bike should be. Handles climbs, drops, roots rocks and keeps ticking. Never a part failure (except for a tire). The Fox 100 XL shock is great and the Fow RP23 is always solid. The brushed aluminum frame is not only one of the best looking frames but stays looking great...no paint chips to deal with.

Weaknesses:    The Mavic tubeless rims are a bear to get the tubeless tires off of. It would be nice to have a little more clearance for the bigger rock, ruts and logs.

Bottom Line:
It's a great all mountain bike and all day xc. I prefer the Fox 100 XL with the lock out valve control on the 3z (really works) over the CF lefty on my Scalpel.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia and Cater Road

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Ultra badboy, Cannondale Scalpel, K2 Carbon Fiber Oz

Bike Setup:   Stock other than CF Monkey bars and post,

Submitted by johnhugo71 a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    component mix - everything except the wheelset have been bomb proof.

Weaknesses:    wheelset - the wheels are the only thing on here i need to change, have never been happy with them, flexy, stems have leaked air since i've had them, ended up running tubes

Bottom Line:
the bike has been a champ, get normal service and nothing has been a problem, occasionally the brakes start squeking but i'll just score the pads a fuzz, clean the rotor and good to go. wheelset is the only weakness on the bike, that'll be upgraded soon though. I've got 1,300 miles on the bike and have never looked back. normal wear and tear, cassette is starting to wear some and have some ghost shifting but not bad, i'm a big clyde who tries to keep up with all my weight weenie friends so i ride the bike hard, things wear out. probably have to replace the wipers on the fork soon again but that's no biggie, i'll get some enduro's and not worry about it again.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   craig's list

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element, Trek Fuel, Fischer HiFi

Bike Setup:   stock except for ergon grips

Submitted by bigboyned a Weekend Warrior from Houston TX USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Great handling for XC, amazing overall bike

Weaknesses:    Might upgrade the fork to the TALAS fork instead of the F100

Bottom Line:
Amazing!!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2+

Submitted by rudy1836 a Weekend Warrior from Norfolk, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Very solid. Does everything it is supposed to. Makes riding EASY.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything not flat

Purchased At:   Conte's

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Hugo a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    geometry is spot on, i'm 6' and ride a large it fits me so nicely, component spec is great. Fox F100X fork is amazing, RP23 shock does exactly what it's supposed to, Juicy 7's rock!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
this bike just handles and rides so smoothly, shock and fork combo are great together, hammering out of the saddle or down the rocky rooty stuff. once the pads are broken in the brakes are one finger brakes. geometry is spot on for cross country,marathon type riding. longest ride so far is only 2hrs but i felt so good when i got done. i got the bike for a steal from someone who didn't like fs, he couldn't of even given it a try. the little knobbies were still on the tires and the brakes weren't even broken in yet! but even at full price it's a great value. Cannondale craftmanship is great plus it's "Handmade in USA"

Purchased At:   craig's list

Similar Products Used:   RM Element 50, nice bike but didn't like the upper pivot, my calves kept rubbing it. Trek Fuel EX8-nice bike but a little too much travel for what I needed.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Ergon Grips

Submitted by Justin from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    The 3Z has the ability to make hill climbs a breeze. The stock fork and single pivot rear shock eats up the rough terrian with ease making it a smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    I think for the money that cannondale could have put X-9 shifters on the bike instead of the X-7 shifters.

Bottom Line:
This bike makes me feel like a better rider. It handles the trails I have been on better than any other bike I have used. This bike is worth every penny to me!

Purchased At:   Lewis and Clark

Bike Setup:   Easton carbon monkeylite xc bar, x-9 shifter,EA90 stem

Submitted by Donald a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Very fast bike, handles bumps, rocks, roots with ease. Front shock is awesome, doesn't compress when pedaling but absorbs every bump when needed. Downhills are a breeze.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't call it a weakness, maybe a personal preference, but the brake levers are to long. I like to use 1 finger when braking & when depressing the levers they tend to hit my other 3 knuckels. I guess I could adjust the levers so they don't depress that far but then the brakes become too sensitive.

Bottom Line:
This is the first dual suspension bike I have ever owned. I have been riding a Specialized StumpJumper M2 Comp since 1995 & I finally decided to upgrade to a dual suspension bike. It was long overdue. Completely happy with the bike...would recommend this bike to anyone considering a bike similar to this.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Pgh Pro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a '95 Specialized StumpJumper M2 Comp

Bike Setup:   All origional parts, size large

Submitted by Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    This is a great bike! As my first quality mountain bike, I am not very keen to what goes into a good bike, but this this made me feel like a pro! I could climb things I couldn't before and was alot quicker in the turns. I like not having to reach for lockouts because the Fox Terralogic in the front and the ProPedal in the rear work really, really well. I bought the 3Z because of the traditional stanchion fork and my roof rack.

Weaknesses:    The Mavic Crosslands are pretty flexible. Shift levers were easy to depress accidentally with my thumb knuckle.

Bottom Line:
Great value and stocked with nice components. Simplistic single pivot is great combined with Fox fork and shock.

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   360 Cycleworks Austin Tx

Similar Products Used:   '05 Ironhorse Maverick Disc

Bike Setup:   Stock in BLU/GRY colors Size M, Swapped out Crank Bros. for SPDs. Bike weighed in at 29lbs.

Submitted by Jluv a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    This bike was built to do it all. It's fast on flowing singletrack, but it can take the big hits as well, especially if you get a fork with a little more travel. The SRAM spec makes all the difference on this bike. The shifting is quick and accurate. The Avid Juicy's are another great spec choice. And it's just a beauty to look at, especially the Team Colors version.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't really call it a weakness, I'm just not very fond of the egg beaters, so I swapped them out for something else.

Bottom Line:
For under $3000 you'll be hard pressed to find a better all mountain bike, not with this kind of frame and with this kind of spec. You wouldn't think they could improve upon the Rush, but this bike is evidence that they did. The 3Z is also evidence that not everyone wants a Lefty fork on their Rush, so kudos to Cannondale for going with Fox for this bike. This bike can go "All Day" and "All Out". What more do you want?

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and flowing