Cannondale Rush 2000 XC Full Suspension

Rims: Mavic XM819 UST Disc, 24 hole
Hubs: Cannondale Lefty Front, DT Swiss 340 disc rear

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    -Lefty Carbon DLR2
-Solid stability on all types of terrain
-light weight considering amount of travel (4.5"+)
-easy-handling machine

Weaknesses:    -thin paint
-new XT brake/shifter combo levers are vulnerable
-could spec better components (bar, cranks) for the $$
-stock tires not aggressive enough for other than smooth pack
-as always, Cannondale's Lefty front fork is a PITA to travel with - won't fit std racks - but worth it

Bottom Line:
Cannondale provided great warrantly service on my old(backup)'92 Delta-V 2000 - they offered either a complete new Prophet frameset, or $900 discount on the Rush 2000. The Rush is awesome - extremely stable, light, and maneuverable. It absorbs some really big stuff with no worries. My other C-dale is a Raven 900SX - the comparisons are dramatic. Even though the Raven has a Lefty fr & Fox Float-R rr shock, the bikes are dramatically different - the Rush does not have the bouncing, floating ride, yet handles the rough stuff much better - a much more controllable and confidence-inspiring bike! Rush offers big-hit capability w/o the weight compromise of the Prophet. This is not a DH machine, but will surprise most. Cannondale still should spec better for the money, and I'm not a fan of the new XT combo levers - will replace w/SRAM when the time comes. The paint on the frame seems thin, but I can't say enough good things about this ride - and I've owned or tried a lot of other hi-end XC machines. Awesome lightweight XC/all-mountain ride - great racer for rough desert terrain (

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel 2000, Cannondale Raven 900SX, Kona Kula, Trek Fuel 90, Specialized FSR, Santa Cruz Blur XC

Bike Setup:   stock w/carbon bar ends, Truvatic carbon bar

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    I use the Cannondale Rush 2000 for XC trail riding and some racing. The ride is stable bombing down hills while still being soft. Climbing is a breeze with the propedal/lockout on the bike. The bike is set up for comfort,and you are centered over the bike which gives you great handling and climbing abilities. I flipped the bike over trying to do some DownHill riding with some friends and the bike went flying down the mountain side along with myself, when I finally came to a stop at the bottom, I inspected the bike and everything was fine and in perfect working order, I was banged up from the superman I did, but was amazed of how well the bike is built. Next time I'll take my P2 for that type of riding. I weighed my bike in at 27 pounds with pedals and bashguard, amazing for a FS bike!

Weaknesses:    If the XT Dual Control Shifters break I will replace them with some XT or XTR RapidFire Shifters. It sucks if you break your shifter because you have to replace the whole unit and not just the shifter or brake lever.

Bottom Line:
The Cannondale Rush 2000 is worth every penny and is built right here in the USA (Bedford, PA to be exact)! Go out and get a Rush or demo one at your local Cannondale dealer. You are going to get a very solid bike, with amazing components, and the best shocks out there! The lefty is light weight and performs flawless (just keep it clean and lubed, while still taking it in for dealer check-ups and it will last far longer than any other fork out there).

Favorite Trail:   RollerCoaster

Purchased At:   West Liberty Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Specialized, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Time ATAC Carbon Pedals, Continental Vapor UST Tires, Race Face BashGuard.

Submitted by Martin Wallin a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Steer precision. Balance is great. Front end is light, so it´s easy to lift the front wheel over obstacles ahead. Plush rear and front travel, but when you lock it out it´s really efficient. The fork lockout is really stiff – you can stand up, leaning over the bars and pump with your whole body if traction is good.
Eats obstacles, like rocks, down steps, steps up – it just rolls over it. Gives you so much confidence in nasty sections.
Takes hard use in tough conditions without showing any wear.
Great choice of components -wheels, brakes, driveline.
Great look! The bike just says: Out and ride – tough!

Weaknesses:    Nothing really. But two things bugs a little: The rear end I feel is a little flexy (contrary to some).
It´s easy to accidently change clicks on rebound while flipping the propedal setting on the rear shock.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great in technical terrain and on all kind of trails. If you really like a bike that is fast and supereffective, I would have picked the Cannondale Scalpel for you, but if you like it just a little more comfy and with travel enough to ride trails all day, this is your bike. It’s still really fast and fun to ride.

Purchased At:   Oster Cykel Jonkoping Sweden

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel 2000, Cannondale Jekyll, Kona Kikapu, Specialized Epic

Bike Setup:   Stock, but with conventional XT brake levers and separate gear levers, XT rear deraillur with shorter arm

Submitted by Richard Ruiz a Cross Country Rider from Miami, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    Increible manejo desde la primera vez, suspension exelente, exelente peso, cambios muy precisos y rapidos, comoda para largos caminos.

Weaknesses:    extra trabajo para desmontar rueda delantera.

Bottom Line:
increible manejo al primer momento con una calidad de suspension que absorbe cualquier irregularidad en el camino; las subidas las toma con mucha facilidad con exelente traccion trasera y los decensos son muy seguros con una frenada potente y segura; es muy rapida en crooscountry tomando las curvas sin ningun inconveniente; exelente precio para una bicicleta con tan increible performance; mi Rush 2000 siempre rueda en caminos muy rapidos y tecnicos respondiendo con una exactitud impecable.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback, Ocala, Florida

Purchased At:   Big wheels

Bike Setup:   original setup

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale, Co

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, fast, plush. The bike really accelerates out of corners. Single pivot system is simple and efficient.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket. I tend to tag my big ring and cranks on rocks.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very confidence inspiring. I was able to ride many of the new full suspension bikes and this is one bike I instantly felt at home on. Geometry is perfect for those long days. I ride many technical trails and the bike climbs wonderfully. The lefty Dlr2 is so stiff that I can rail through rock gardens. I highly suggest this bike for general trail riders and racers. The bike feels like it has much more rear travel. Keep in mind that the low bottom bracket is something that takes getting used to.

Favorite Trail:   Mushroom Rock

> Great Acceleration
> Impressive bump absorbtion
> Strong Climber (in RP3 FRIM
> Great Component Build

Weaknesses:    > The Fizik Nisenne HP Ti saddle isn't that comfrotable, OR, that light.
> Extra step required to remove front wheel to transport the bike in my vehicle.

Bottom Line:
I have had my Rush 2000 for 2 months now, however my fav local trials are yet to be opened for the season, so a comparison on my most oft ridden trails has yet to be performed.

What I can say now is - wow! I previously rode and raced in 24 hour events on my aluminum hard tail (klein). The last one I did in 2005 as a solo race, convinced me it was time to re-consider a full suspension ride. It so happend right around this time Cannondale first took the wraps off of the Rush.
I was at that point focusing on the Santa Cruz Blur XC as my new ride, when a friend suggest I wait, and give the Rush a ride when they arrive. My friend had ridden a demo and was sold on one for himself. So I waited. And waited. Finally they began arriving at Canadian dealers. I rode one, thinking it unlickey it would live up to the hype, and as importantly the long wait. But it was fantastic. I went a head and ordered one for myself. Once it arrived I spent a good 4 hours playing with varying shock pressures, and it came alive. I suggest to anyone be sure to play with the shock pressue to hit the sweet spot for your ridding style.

Value: I have ranked the Rush2000 as 5 for value, the reason being bikes are expensive, I mean really. This is an expensive bike at $3,500 USD, however it is significantly cheaper than the Rush 3000 and Rush Team, whilst still equipped with excellent components, suspension, and performance. More importantly it is competative on price with direct competitors (Blur XC, Specialized Epic).

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet 1000, Santa Cruz Blur XC, Santa Cruz Blur LT, Trek Fuel EX8

Bike Setup:   Stock Rush2000 and, Monkey Lite SL Carbon Riser, Egg Beater SL's, DT 240S rear hub

Submitted by Simon Shun a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia.

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    - Extremely fast, efficient and nimble.
- Corners very well, precise steering.
- Lefty DLR2 structurally stiff with plush travel.
- Stiff and creak free frame.
- Stiff, simple and reliable single pivit design.
- Lockout on Lefty and adjustable RP3 platform.
- Shimano XT dual-control instinctive and easy to use.
- Great shifting performance and powerful brakes.

Weaknesses:    - Expensive!
- Single pivot design may rely on platform shock.
- Miss-shifting sometimes occurs when changing gear over
very rough terrain.
- Rear suspension can be slightly harsh when standing on
pedals and cranking up steep rutted inclines (compared
to VPP suspension design).
- Not much else!

Bottom Line:
What an amazing bike! I was able to arrange two; separate week long test rides on the Rush. It was the only bike that I have tested that felt as good the second time as the first (i.e. phenomenal!).
The Rush is ideally suited to a rider who likes an efficient pedalling nimble bike with phenomenal steering, cornering performance and great suspension;characteristics which are attributable to the stiff frame and Lefty fork.
The Shimano XT dual-control was a perfect match for the Rush and the type of riding the bike is intended for; that is fast, aggressive XC and moderate AM trails. Lack of suspension travel is the only thing preventing use on more aggressive AM trails.
The RUSH definitely lives up to its name!

Favorite Trail:   Manly Dam