Cannondale Rush 1000 XC Full Suspension

Rims: Mavic CrossLand UST
Hubs: Mavic CrossLand UST

Submitted by born2play a Cross Country Rider from Portola Hills,ca

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    The bike feels good going down hill

Weaknesses:    I think it might be a little too heavy for my size. I think these bikes are build for people over 180lbs while I'm only 120lbs. If you are within my weight and love to climb and I will suggest to keep looking around. However, if you are a weekend warrior this is the perfect bike.

Bottom Line:
Love my bike. Just wish It was a little bit litter for my long climbs. It handles the downhill pretty good. Never had a problem with any of its components.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Jim

Purchased At:   Dana Point

Bike Setup:   Avid break, mavic rims, shimano hubs.

Submitted by Blue Sugar a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    Stable yet nimble, flex-free chassis, great brakes

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket a little low, brakes squeak with stock pads, bars too wide, egg beater pedals not right for me.

Bottom Line:
Well I've had the bike for over two years now, and I thought I'd comment on my experiences as far as reliability and set up. After about a year I had to send the Lefty back to Cannondale for overhaul (100 bucks) since both compression and rebound went south. I think it was my fault- I contaminated the fork with an old shock pump I was using. I also broke and replaced one rear derailleur (80 bucks) and the front shifter.(60 bucks). Other than that the bikes been totally reliable.

I've also found that this bike is very sensitive to set up, and works best when set up a little stiff in the suspension and soft in the tires. I weigh 160 and I like 95 psi in the fork and 145 in the shock. I set the rebound slightly slow. The tires work best with about 35 PSI in them- any more and they don't hook up, any less you lose too much ground clearance. You need to spend some time finding the right fork, shock, and tire pressures for you, and the rebound settings, and you need to keep them there. If you don't you will not get the best out of this bike. The fork and shock hold pressure well, but you want to check every second ride or so.

Some people complain about the bottom bracket being too low on this bike, but that's a problem with most bikes. Bigger, beefier tires like Bontrager Big Earls would probably solve it, and give you better traction as well.

Only other issue I've noticed is a slight torsional flex in the swing arm when hitting obstacles at an angle, but overall it's a very flex-free chassis.

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails in VT

Purchased At:   Won in raffle

Bike Setup:   As-delivered but for Shimano SPD-959 pedals, Avid organic brake pads, and 1/2 inch trimmed off bars.

Submitted by nope a Cross Country Rider from adafds

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    asdfasfda

Weaknesses:    asdfa

Bottom Line:
adsf

Favorite Trail:   asdfsadf

Purchased At:   66874654

Similar Products Used:   asdf

Bike Setup:   asdf

Submitted by B. H. a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, Florida

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2008

Strengths:    Great standover height, especially for an XL frame, excellent kit for this price range, frame handmade in USA, excellent fit and finish. Moving from a hardtail, the Rush rides like a dream. She feels buttery smooth down the trail, and climbs extremely efficiently. With the propedal on the rear shock and lockout on the TALAS Fork - it's almost like having more than one bike. For my style of riding, I find few compromises with this bike. Plus, the metal flake charcoal gray paint, accompanied with the gray TALAS fork, makes her pretty easy on the eyes too.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike again, and again, and again.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   Bike Route

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd Titus Motolite, Cannnondale Prophet, and Specialized Stumpy

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Fox TALAS Fork, Serfas Performance RX Saddle, Crank Brothers Acid Pedals (and trimmed down the bars)

Submitted by Ev a Cross Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    Great handling bike..very well balanced feel of travel. Lefty fork works great, and is complimented by the fox RP3 rear shock. Great parts-group for a mid-range bike.

Climbs like a scalpel, descends like a prophet.

Weaknesses:    Not much to complain about.

i had a bit of trouble with the front derailure, but after riding the bike for about 50 miles and getting a tune up everything was in working order.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Perfect balance for the XC Racer/Trail rider that can only afford 1 bike. I race this bike and dont have a problem with it. Its light (with upgrades you could get this bike into the competitive levels of weight) and climbs great, even without messing with the propedal lever. It descends great.

Basically a great all round bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   Stock Rush 1000

Submitted by Mark E. a Weekend Warrior from Manteca, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Fast, stable, comfortable bike. Makes a nice commuter bike during the week and a very capable trail bike on the weekend. Component spec is good for the price. The Pro Pedal settings on the shock are phenomenal. Lefty front works superbly and just looks beefy and awesome. With the firm setting on the shock and the Lefty locked out, the Rush climbs almost like a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Fox RP3 rear shock "stuck down" after 1 month of moderate trail use (no big jumps or drops). Rebuilt under warranty by Mike's Bike's in one day! Here's hoping the malfunction was a fluke. The pro-pedal lever is difficult to reach while riding. While not necessarily a weakness, the non quick-release front wheel can limit your car-top racking options. (The Yakima King Cobra allows you to securely transport the bike upright with both wheels attached.)

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend the Rush to anyone looking for a downhill/freeride/huck type bike......four inches of travel won't cut it.

I WOULD recommend the Rush to anyone who is looking for a great all-around performer. I'm 43 and find the bike to be comfortable, even on all day rides. On fast, smoothish, rolling trails, this bike really shines. It can handle the technical sections, too, but its primarily a XC ride.
With a seatpost rack and trunk attached (and running near max psi), it's just as capable as an on-road commuter or a grocery getter.

Absolutely recommended!

Purchased At:   Mike's Bike's, Sacramento

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche Disc 1.0

Bike Setup:   Answer Pro Taper riser bar, Shimano PDM 324 pedals, Stan's sealant, & 203mm Avid rotor up front.

Submitted by Sean G. a Racer from Tampa, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Simplicity. Single pivot design, which we all know is nothing new, Santa Cruz perfected it with the Superlight. But this design has less for you to worry about, and that's a good thing. The geometry for this bike is perfect for it's designed use. It was designed for endurance races, 24, 12, 6 hour and adventure races, where fatigue can make a more XC race oriented bike a little twitchy at 2 am. The amount of travel is perfect and very well balanced front and rear. The Fox RP3 is multi-adjustable. And the Lefty front fork tracks like no other fork I've ever used. And I started out on a Rock Shox quad 5 many, many, many years ago. I've raced several 6 and 12 hour races so far on this bike and have loved every hour and actually have been able to wake up the next day without pain pills. And yes, I take them every day, so that's a good thing.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket, as others have said is low. But the reviews I read before purchasing stated this, it wasn't a surprise. But the low bottom bracket makes this bike handle the way it does, it's very stable at speed. Also, the handlebar is WICKED wide, good luck getting thru some trees with this bad boy. The 69 degree head angle already makes the bike steer a little slower than you're used too, add in the bar and it's super slow. It's actually hard to get around a tight turn. Stock the bike isn't too light about 27.5 lbs. But in 24 hour races that's not much of a concern. But I've lightened it considerably.

Bottom Line:
After upgrades which were pretty expensive, but luckily I have a great relationship with my LBS, the weight of this bike is respectable even for xc racing. I purchased this bike strictly for 24 hour races, I'm 38 with a bad lower back. This bike is the perfect rememdy for that, it will correct mistakes you make on the trail. The geometry and amount of travel will keep you upright even during mistakes and fatigue. I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for all day epic rides or 24 hour endurance racing. I couldn't have made a better decision.

Favorite Trail:   Sedona, AZ

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Dud Thames Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight for 4 years.

Bike Setup:   Rush 1000, XO grip shift, XTR cranks, SRAM chain, Easton Monkey Lite SL bar (24 in. wide), Cannondale ultra light stem. Mavic CrossMax SL wheels with Continental Explorers 2.1's using Stans System. Total bike weight down to 25 lbs.

Submitted by Glenn Vernes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown CT

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff and efficient chassis, stable yet nimble handling, great brakes, reliable SRAM shifting.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket is a little low, suspension can be a pain to deal with, some of the parts (wheels, cranks, seatpost) are on the cheap side. Tires lose air.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great bike for cross-country. I just got back from two days riding the Kingdom Trails in VT and am very happy with the way the bike performed. This bike is fast. When you stomp on the pedals, you go. There is no noticable energy loss due to frame flex or suspension bobbing (as long as you're out of the small chainring). The bike climbs great, allowing me to charge some pretty serious hills in the middle ring. The Kingdom Trails have some long, tough climbs, and this bike never felt like it was holding me back. There will be some bobbing in the small ring, but it doesn't seem to slow you down. The rear shock has a semi-lockout feature that works prety well to dampen bobbing, but I rarely use it.

And once you get to the top, you can scream back down. Cannondale nailed the geometry on this bike. The handling is at once stable and nimble, which I find pretty amazing. I spent a lot of my time at the Kingdom bombing down tight singletrack and I was amazed at how well this bike carves tight turns, despite having a longish wheelbase and raked-out fork. I never felt out of control even when not firmly planted. The Lefty fork, which is amazingly flex-free, probably has a lot to do with it. The stock Maxxis Cross Mark tires have a shallow tread and were definitely designed for low rolling resistance, but they get good traction in all but thick mud. They will break loose on fast turns, allowing you to get a "Tokyo drift" going which is a lot of fun, but even then you feel in control- just touch the brakes and they hook up again. The bike will get a little squirrely at downhil speeds, but just a little.

The bike also performs great on rocky, rooted New England- style trails. Just pick a line and take it. The bike never wanders in the rough stuff, due probably to the stiff chassis and stable geometry. Large rocks, slick roots, can be steamrolled right over.

As far as the suspension, it takes rocks and roots very well, but has some trouble on stutter-bumps, and the rear shock bottoms harshly on the big fits. Tuned for cross country, not hucking.

As far as components, the feel and modulation of the Juicy brakes is first-rate, and the SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur performs very well, and seems to be less thrown off by dry and dirty cables and slight misadjustment than Shimano. The front shifting is not so hot. Going from small to middle ring can be a problem, and it might take a few trys before the chain stays up on the middle ring. Not on par with Shimano in this area.

Complaints? Just a few, and they're small. The bottom bracket is a little on the low side, but not so low as to be a problem, and it's probably one reason why the bike handles so well. Also the Mavic Crossmax wheels need truing frequently. I plan to upgrade to a better set soon. Some of the other stuff (cranks, seatpost) are on the cheap (and probably heavy) side, but you can upgrade and lighten the bike (it's not heavy to begin with) And there's the above mentiond front fhifting issue. The stock egg-beater pedals did not work for me- I went back to Shimano. The suspension isa pain to adjust because it shoots an wad of blue grease on your hand when you take the pump off. Even after 6 months it still does this.

Bottom line: If there's a better bike for long cross country rideing or racing on rough terrain i haven't found it.

Purchased At:   Won in raffle

Bike Setup:   Stock but for Shimano SPD pedals, Bontrager Earl grips, and 1/2 inch trimmed off of bars.

Submitted by Keith Ross a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    Great all around xc machine. I have the 2006 Rush (team colors). Holds lines well. No bobbing when pedaling. Lefty is a confidence builder. Can take and hold lines. Doesn't fear rock gardens and rutted SS. The RP3 shock is very adjustable and reliable. Climbs well for a 27.5 lb. bike. This is a bike that has many abilities. Geometry is more laid back than my HT Gunnar. I can fly down gnarly stuff at higher speeds. Love the Sram components. Flawless shifting. Great 24 hr. race bike if needed to be.

Weaknesses:    FSA cranks are heavy. Low BB allows pedals to hit on rock gardens. Steering is a bit slow which can also be good. But I am used to a very quick Gunnar HT. FSA bars are wide and heavy. Stock seatpost was changed out ASAP. A bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
If you like climbing and hanging with the big boys on nasty downhills then this is a bike for you. It does it all. Can be used to do 24's or all day epics. Take your choice. Not a XC short course race bike. It was made for 24's and epic rides.

Favorite Trail:   Noble-Bulldog-Cowles

Purchased At:   Zumwalts

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpy Pro M-4, Gunnar Rockhound, Specialized FSR Enduro, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Raceface Evolve crank, Answer Pro taper CF riser bar, Thomson Elite seatpost, Avid Juicy brakes, Sram shifters and stuff, Serfas dual density pro saddle.

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Taylors, South Carolina, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Strengths:    This is the fastest-rolling full-suspension rig I have ever ridden. Even though the bike's geometry looks laid back, when it hits the hardpack the thing just zips! On its maiden ride on my favorite local trail, I straightened out three corners before I realized how much faster I was going than on my Jekyll or Super V. The bike has impeccable cross-country handling, and the harmony between the Lefty and the Fox RP3 Float is unreal. I really like the ability to dial in both shocks on the fly, since I like to take jeep tracks and Forest Service roads up and singletrack back down. The 110 mm of travel feels like 150 mm on small to medium dropoffs. You really do want to ride this bike all day. The Rush 1000, like other C'dale offerings at the 1K level, provides the best component spec for the money. The Mavic Crosslands are dead solid, and mine hold pressure pretty well for tubeless hoops. The SRAM X-7/X-9 shifers/derailleur combo is as crisp as toast Melba. (I was so impressed that I upgraded to the X-0 derailleur and gave my girlfriend the X-9.)

Weaknesses:    The low, low bottom bracket makes off-camber sections rather more exciting than they need be (as do the very-speedy-but-not-so-grippy CrossMark meats). And the wide, wide handlebars are a real concern in tight singletrack. (Some of us still ride in the woods, these woods comprise trees spaced at less-than-ideal intervals.) I put the stock grips on a couple of old gardening tools I never use.

Bottom Line:
This is the best all-around mountain bike I have ever ridden. It reminded me of why I started riding offroad. To paraphrase Milton, it is truly a "machinery of joy."

Favorite Trail:   Spiderwoman III

Purchased At:   Gusto Cycles, Taylors, SC

Similar Products Used:   Super V 1000, Jekyll 3000

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for: FSA carbon handlebar, FSA carbon seatpost, SRAM X-0 rear derailleur, Fizik Alliante carbon saddle, Ergon grips w/ micro bar ends (everyone should spec these Red Dot Design Award-winning grips!) SRAM chain. Most importantly, switched to Maxxis Ignitor tires w/ a 2.35 up front.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Clementon, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent part specs for the price range; fairly low weight; lots of adjustability with the Lefty shock (full lockout and rebound adjust) and Fox RP3 (ProPedal options, lockout, and rebound).

Weaknesses:    Handlebars are a little wide (27 in. spread); Crossmark tires, although very fast on dry terrain, do not hold up well in mud (they're a very good race tire, though).

Bottom Line:
I just got my 2007 Rush 3 (replaces the 1000 series) this weekend and it's everything I hoped for and then some. This bike would be an excellent choice for an intermediate rider who enjoys all-day weekend rides up through competitive 24-hour racers, and everyone in between. I have a size M that weighs in just over 28 lbs; less than my old hardtail. I was torn between this and the Prophet, however, due to this bike's geometry (shorter front fork) and lockout abilities it climbs much more efficiently with minimal loss on downhill abilities.

The bike shifts very well (X9 rear)and has excellent brakes (Juicy 7's). The Lefty shock is impressive in its adjustability and its low weight. The paint scheme, although not the most important thing, is much nicer than it looks in the catalog, with the white decals also being reflective (for the 24-hour riders).

There is a huge performance jump from the Rush 4 to the 3 (Shimano LX up to SRAM X7/X9; Crossland wheels; RP3 shock; Juicy brakes), and a huge price jump up to the $4500 Rush 2 (full carbon fiber frame, XT parts). I think this is the best Rush in the line (and the best bike on the market) for its combination of price, versatility, and performance. I'd definitely recommend riding this bike if you have a chance.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX 7, Trek Remedy 6, Cannondale Prophet 600, Fisher Cake 2, Fisher Fat Possum XT. Previously owned a Trek 6500.

Bike Setup:   Stock; added Cane Creek Ergo II bar ends and swapped Crank Brothers Eggbeaters for Smartys.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    Suspension is great, giving a pretty plush ride downhill, but enough lockout/adjustability to climb, in fact it climbs as well as my old hardtail (as far as this amateur can tell!). I'm now scaring myself with how fast I can go downhill, although I've noticed that having a duallie means I'm not as careful picking my lines anymore. . .but I'm having more fun which is what it's about right?

Weaknesses:    In mud the crossmark tyres are crap. Little tricky to reach the rear shock on the trail, but other than that nothing.

Bottom Line:
After getting the new seatpost the bike is sooo comfortable I can't wait to use it for a long race. I'm like a kid with a new bike, boosting off the smallest bobble in the track. If you find yourself on a hardtail at 3am during a very wet 24hr race cursing the slightest bump and swear to yourself that next year you'll do it on a duallie this could be your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Killingworth

Purchased At:   Cranks N Sydney

Similar Products Used:   Rush 2000, Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   Stock 1000 apart from FSA laid back post

Submitted by Chuck a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    Extreamly stable, confidence inspiring ride. Great bike for all day rides. Eats up rocky, "rooty" terrain and begs you to push it harder. Has minimal "bob" while climbing and you can lock out the Lefty which helps even more. Tracks very well and will hold a line without any noticable frame/fork flex (I'm 6', 190 lbs). The stock bars were HUGE (supposedly for better bike control) but I cut a half inch off of each side which made it react better in tight singletrack.

Weaknesses:    The bike isn't light (28+ lbs)and since I had to add Slime to the tubeless tires to stop the constant air pressure loss, it added an additional half pound. Adding Slime did solve the air leakage problem though. I also wasn't in love with the egg beaters. I've ridden Time's for the last 8 yrs and I just didn't get the same feel from the egg beaters. But that's just personal preference. The bottom bracket is a little low but if you've ridden Jekyll's or Blur's it's pretty similar and shouldn't bother you.

Bottom Line:
If I were still racing this bike wouldn't be my first pick but as a 37 yr old ,whose lower back doesn't enjoy hardtails anymore, and is more into 4+ hour all day rides this bike is tough to beat. The bike feels perfectly balanced and is very predictalbe in any type of terrain. Even though it's not the lightest bike on the planet it still climbs very well and decends even better. The bike begs you to push it hard and regardless of the type of trails that you ride, the bike is a pleasure to be on.

Purchased At:   West Liberty Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Jekyll, Blur

Submitted by Leo Fitzsimon a Cross Country Rider from Annandale, VA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    Great overall bike. Very fast and stable. The Rush has a very aggressive feel to it, begging to be ridden fast. It climbs well, sprints great and handles downhills very well. The Lefty is very stiff and responsive and the front of this bike feels very lite and nimble. It is also well built. I have been riding mine non-stop since October, including several races, and have had no major maintenance issues. I am extremely pleased with this bike.

Weaknesses:    I am 5' 11" and got a large frame. I got a shorter than stock stem, which makes the bike fit me perfectly in most situations. In very tight, twisty single-track, however, the bike feels a bit too long. Also, RP3 shock is a bit difficult to adjust while on the fly.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. I think it is a perfect overall bike for everyday trail riding, cross country riding and racing. I'll ride it for life.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead, Fairfax VA

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new tires. Stock tires were great but I went with something a little wider and with better grip.

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Fairfax, CA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    Lots of travel for it's weight. Doesn't climb like a billy goat but definitely gets the job done. It never bobs on the up hill when sitting, but does a little when you're standing up and crankin it. In a good way though because it compresses a little to get you that extra little grip on loose climbs. Rips the DH (It really proves its self on those fun tight trails). EXELLENT all around

Like the scalpel but twice the travel, weighing half a pound more.

Weaknesses:    uuhhhh........ I really havent found any yet

Bottom Line:
I had a scalpel 2000 for acouple years. It worked well for my races but the kind rides me and my homies were doin trashed the thing after acouple years. I had a chance to get this frame at a low price so I took it, I havent had any regrets with it since. It matches my riding so much better than the scalpel, I ride the same trails and harder at much faster speeds. All riders owning a scalpel wanting more travel, simply buy a rush frame (every model has the same frame, just different colors)

Favorite Trail:   Kent

Purchased At:   local dude sold me the frame