Cannondale Jekyll 700 XC Full Suspension

4.55/5 (20 Reviews)
MSRP : $2093.99

Submitted by Lucas Buhr a Racer from Hudson WI USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    The breaks work very well compared to other cannondales. The bike rides very smooth. The super headshok is the best best fork ever made.

Weaknesses:    The front wheel had to be replaced by previous owner. The shifter cables wearout after some use.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I got it for my back problems and it lived up to and beyond all of my expectations. If you want a fullsuspension bike and you find one of these you need to have it.

Favorite Trail:   White Tail Ridge

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   There is nothing to compare it to.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Kenneth a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Strengths:    The frame is phenomenal and the gears are super reliable. Bike extremely light and durable.

Weaknesses:    The seat needed to be upgraded immediately. The cost of servicing can be pricey.

Bottom Line:
Great bike wish the build was still around.

Favorite Trail:   94E Trails

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by Martin Stiemer a Cross Country Rider from Amsterdam

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Solid and not too heavy frame, comfortable ride, great looks, great comfy downhiller

Weaknesses:    Had a lot of trouble with Hayes brakes, but was fixed in the end. 'Lefty' f fork a bit too absorbing for me (87kg), starts to pump, not completely lockable.

Bottom Line:
A great, non competitive, bike for pure fun. A real friend for any terrain (except tar..) Still enjoy it every time I ride it. (Just much too expensive here in Holland..)

Purchased At:   Rein Venendaal Holla

Similar Products Used:   none (Only hard frames, like Giant carbon)

Bike Setup:   Standard with some other pedals. Might change the saddle but otherwise leave it.

Submitted by Shane Walz a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Great feel. Love that I can change the ride by adjusting the rear shock, it's a bit campy but useful.

Weaknesses:    the stock Fox Float is a bit bouncy, even with a higher air pressure

Bottom Line:
Nice responsive frame. Soaks up bumps on the way down very nicely. Love the "on the fly" Headshock lockout, wish I had the rear lock for the climbs. Even without the lock it climbs decent. Trying to find an upgrade for the rear shock hasn't been real fortuitous. Some bob but not too awful. I usually beat my friends to the top. The stock Coda equipment was crap, especially the Expert wheels. With my current set-up I'll get plenty of happy miles until that '07 Superlight Santa Cruz comes my way.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Delta V, Giant

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Hope Pro II hubs on DT Swiss rims, '07 Mono Mini's for brakes

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Strengths:    Light, Fast, great travel, takes the trails like a champ

Weaknesses:    Disc's are a little tempermental when dusty but that's it for now. Also, looks good (tempts thieves)

Bottom Line:
Love it, one of the best bikes I have ridden. Great bike for most trails as far as I am concerned.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   From a Buddy

Similar Products Used:   GT I-Drive Expert

Bike Setup:   Lefty shock, Fox rc rear

Submitted by jay shantz a Weekend Warrior from new jersey

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2005

Strengths:    good

Weaknesses:    good

good

Favorite Trail:   Green Knole

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   good

Bike Setup:   good

Submitted by Chris Roberts a Weekend Warrior from Preston

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Strengths:    The cannondale jekyll 700 is a great bike its very light weight and has good stong components. Its great for riding cross country and can also be used for freeride. I have had my bike for 3 months and the only thing I have replaced is the gear cables.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses realy is that you can't put tires any bigger than 2.3 but thats it Oh and the lockout cable was a bit too small which caused it to lockout when turned heavily but appart from that its great.

Bottom Line:
I ride my bike once or twice a week on mostly cross country rides and I somtimes do a few drop off's and acasional north shore. The lefty is great and works very smoothly and the remote lockout on the rear shock is cool to. The ride position on the bike is very comfortable and it rides very smooth I would recomend this bike to anyone interested in buying one.

Favorite Trail:   Mabie forest

Purchased At:   samways cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek liquid 20, Specialized enduro comp,cannondale jekyll 400.

Bike Setup:   I have upgraded to full XT and hope mono minis and some panaracer trailraker 1.95 tires. I have also put a long ritchey riser bar on to comfort the ride up a bit.

Submitted by Markus a Weekend Warrior from Germany (near Stuttgart)

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Strengths:    Frame (Size L): It`s stiff, soft and I can`t notice any bops up and down while riding. As the Jekyll is adjustable, it can be used for all kinds of biking (and persons). Moreover the quality and finish of this Jekyll is perfect.
Brakes:The Magura Julie disc brake is strong, but easy to measure out.
Fork: The HeadShok Super Fatty DL is really stiff and you can block it while riding.
Saddle: The Cannondale Expert saddle is very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately the rear shock is not adjustable enough although you can block it. So I´d prefer a Fox Float RL rear shock.

Bottom Line:
All in all I must say that my Cannondale Jekyll 700 is outstanding. It`s very stiff, so it can be used by heavier bikers, too. And it`s one of the most beautiful bikes(I`ve got the orange version),as the finish (Handmade in USA!)is outstanding. And if you are biking uphill, there`s even no need to block the bike. Because of the adjustability the Jekyll frame is suitable for almost everybody.
In order to protect the gloss, I took an adhesive tape (that is sticking on both sides) and small parts of textile (e.g. fleece); and then I taped this on the cables where they touch the frame.

Purchased At:   Radsport Ilg

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930, Cannondale SV 500, Scott G-Zero Team

Bike Setup:   Right from the beginning I`ve changed the crank, the bottom bracket and the tires: I chose a Shimano Deore LX crank, a Shimano Deore XT bottom bracket and 1.95 IRC Mythos XC red wall tires.

Submitted by Geoff Dickinson a Weekend Warrior from Blackburn UK

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, well finished frame and good stopping power. Adjustable suspension very useful

Weaknesses:    Problems with both Magura Julie brakes SERIOUSLY binding after a wet ride in Inshriach Forest - pistons seized up. Dealer sorted it without any problem. Leakage in rear brake meant a bleed but sorted using Magura Bleed Kit. Rear Hutchinson Mosquito tyre worn out very quickly. Grip unpredictable in the wet, particularly on roots. Some leakage from Fox Float.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, great value, handles well, smooth ride and very enjoyable to ride. One or two teething problems with brakes but nothing serious. I can recommend this bike to anyone but I would suggest a change of tyre type - I don't think the Mosquitos are at their best in the dampness of North West England!

Favorite Trail:   mbr Route at Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Eric Burgess Cycles

Submitted by Ed Gates a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Strengths:    The strengths of this bike helped compensate for my lack of experience. Love the headshok and rear suspension. Virtually no problems in running gear.

Weaknesses:    Rear brake rotor slightly warped on purchase. Store personnel said this was not a problem but adjustments were required on 2 occasions. Also wish now that rear shock had lockout in conjunction with existing rebound adjustment. Rear tire (Mosquito) wore out fairly quickly, but I attributed this to riding the road between trails.

Bottom Line:
I am 48 and this is my first bike. I absolutely love the bike and the sport. Most of the trails I ride are hard packed dirt with some rocky sections and a little mud. In this environment the Jekyll has more than made up for my shortcomings. It's dependability has been outstanding. I rarely have any missed shifts. The bike goes where I point it. Aside from a little sqeal out of the disc brakes, stopping is never a problem. The full suspension and the more comfortable seat make for very enjoyable rides. I'm sure I don't come close to using the full potential of the bike, but it allows me to have fun and that's what matters to me.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn. State Park, Pelham, AL

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycle, Hoover, AL

Bike Setup:   Changed to wider, softer seat. Have added seat bag and frame bag (for pump), and a quick-release seat post collar. Now wearing a Michelin Wild Gripper on the rear. This tire gets great traction but rolling resistance is higher than stock tire, which worked fine until tread wore down. Otherwise bike is stock.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame, outstanding dealer support.

Weaknesses:    Spokes and Coda pedals.

Bottom Line:
After shopping around and asking a lot of questions about frame durability, I went with the Cannondale after they didn't even blink when I gave them my dimensions (6'3", 250#).

I initially had some problems with the spokes on the rear wheel snapping due to poor heat treating (DT Swiss) and after a FREE re-lacing of the real wheel, thanks to Cannondale and Cycle Smithy, I haven't had a problem for over a year!

The stock Hutchinson Mosquito's are a very sticky compound and wear quiickly. I replaced them with mickelin WildGripper Jet S tires and I have been happy with them. for riding in the city I have swapped to Specialized Fatboy slicks and can carry an average of 22mph easily.

Overall I have never had a problem with the frame or any of the major components. I did have a pedal come apart, but I finished the ride and put on a pair of egg-beaters. Cannondale even replaced the pedals though the warranty had expired.

I'm very happy with the bike (1,000+ miles) and would reccommend it to everyone, even beefy suckers like myself.

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Custer State Park

Purchased At:   On The Route Cycles

Similar Products Used:   F1000, Killer V, GT XCR 2000

Bike Setup:   Sweet metallic pea-green paint job. Upgrades: Longer stem, riser bar, Fox Float RC, Thomson Elite seatpost, better saddle, and Egg-Beaters to replace crap Coda pedals.

Submitted by Patrice Dufresne a Cross Country Rider from Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Its biggest asset is probably its manoeuvrability. As soon as I got on the bike, I felt very comfortable which gave me even more confidence to try new stuff out. Next point are the brakes!! Some companies will great looking bikes, but their braking systems suck! I am 6'2 and weight 230 and I have not gotten any problems with my brakes or my suspension.

Weaknesses:    The tires are not the greatest I have had specialy in wet conditions. You really have to watch when riding among rocks, roots and mud! Another minor weak point would be the front suspension. Headshock suspensions are great, but you are a big guy, you should seriously consider upgrading the front suspension. I put 180 psi in the front suspension, and sometime it seems not enough. So, you really need to transfer you weight quickly when going down steep hill.

Bottom Line:
The strong points definitely outweight the weak points. Once you have figured out the weak points, you will enjoyed every second you will spend on that bike. Furthermore, I thought the price was fair due to the outstanding riding performance this bike gives you.

Favorite Trail:   not important!!

Purchased At:   GTH Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Comp

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by j2 a Cross Country Rider from Santa Monica, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Strengths:    The frame, lock out, solid componentry, bike is light for the $$$, julie brakes

Weaknesses:    the narrow saddle

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to offer a piece of advice for whatever it is worth, I got this bike new at such a good price because I waited a year to buy it overstock on clearance, sometimes painfully (still atop an old crappy hardtail) until I could blow my wad on a quality bike and not get reamed in the process (though the cannondale expert saddle tries at times). I think I did just that. I got a great bike w/ a solid frame and decent components, disc brakes, lock-out on suspension, and adjust. geom., while spending a little over $1200. I'm not a pro, nor do I try to be, nor do I daydream about being a racer, just a guy who loves to get out and tear it up whenever I can. Let's face it, it is a rare or next to impossible thing to find a great FS for under $1200. Anyone who tells you different is huffing their chain lube or just trying to sell you something.

BOTTOM BOTTOM LINE: Great, strong bike for a big guy (5'11" 215 lbs.) in lrg. frame. No bob on uphill, sweet desents as long as you don't go crazy and try to be a downhill bomber. Adjustable geometry almost gives you two bikes in one. I LOVE MY NEW 'DALE!!! AND THANKS TO THE GUYS OVER @ HELENS! 5 pyro drum heads.

Favorite Trail:   too many

Purchased At:   Helens Cycles

Similar Products Used:   specy fsr, gt i-drive, giant nrs (all just d'moed)

Bike Setup:   stocker

Submitted by Brien Dulaney a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    The Jekyll frame! Strong and handles most you throw at it! Of course the headshock is great with lockout. This bike just gives confidence!

Weaknesses:    I personally think hutchinson tires suck! They don't grip when wet or in mudd! Some coda components are less than durable =) But most will tell you that they are junk in general!

Bottom Line:
I had bought a crappy hard-tail to start mountain biking for fun. After 1 serious trip with a buddy of mine, I quickly realized that you get what you pay for. I used to think he was nuts for buying bikes that were over 1k. Boy was I wrong :) Anyhow, I bought the jekyll as my first major investment and I have never had any serious complaints! I have put this bike through hell and it's still serious fun to ride! I am 6ft 215lbs so I do not know why all of these other people keep complaining that they break too easy? The only problems I have had, I bent the front crankset while trying to jump a log I barely cleared, ruined the bearings in my rear wheel from getting it too wet (water crossings are fun) but mainly from washing the bike like a moron! (hey ya live and ya learn. All in all, I found myself doing things with this bike that I was scared $*&@#$%% to do on my old hardtail, it really gives confidence! You can't go wrong with this, if you don't like the coda stuff, upgrade the components over time! You will then have a bike that will last miles and years, no matter what you do with it, unless you try and make a jekyll a big hit freeride bike, which it isnt designed for, its an all mountain.

Favorite Trail:   McKelden, cross the river :)

Purchased At:   Princeton Sports