BMC TrailFox 01 XC Full Suspension

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

• Frame : X4ee 03 (Rear Travel 120 mm)
  • Fork : Fox Talas, 100 -120 -140 mm
  • Rear Shock : Fox RP 23
  • Groupset : Sram X.O, 27-Speed
  • Brakes : Avid Juicy 7, 185 mm Rotor F&R
  • Handlebar : Easton EC70 Carbon
  • Stem : Easton EA70
  • Wheelset : DT Swiss X430 Disc

Submitted by big country xc

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Climbs well.Nice to look at.Not a lot of them around.

Weaknesses:    Not a lot of stand over.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the frame in 2010 cause I got a very good deal on it. Not to mention that it was kinda unique at that time. the carbon fiber rear really did caught my eye. My frame runs on a DT swiss xm180 rear shock. Being a heavier set guy, I was doubtful that it could take my weight but boy was I surprised, It handled like a dream on open trails.The bike sits a little bit differently than a normal xc bike. I guess you sit more upright but not like a full blown am bike. Takes a little bit of getting used to but once you get it right you're really gonna get a kick out of it. It's fast and nimble... if you like that kind of riding. My only complaint is that it handles a little bit twitchy on slow speeds...I guess it just wants to go fast. And oh yeah...the bike itself is made in taiwan but the bearings are swiss made so its really plush and quiet. Nice one BMC.

Submitted by NH Mtbiker a Cross Country Rider from Dover, NH

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light for a 5in frame, beautiful craftsmanship, carbon rear triangle, new pivot bearings, spot-on geometry, ease of maintenance, cable routing, sweet ride!

Weaknesses:    thinner aluminum tends to dent easier - but not a weakness if you're careful with it. I bought mine used and slightly abused, so I noticed some minor dings. Mostly from the previous owner beating on it.

Bottom Line:
Picked this frame up on Ebay at a discount due to the fact that the previous owner did not maintain and abused the bike. I knew I could bring it back to life and did just that. Completely disassembled the frame and removed all the old bearings, shock, and parts. Sent the frame out to be sandblasted and powdercoated (front only). I re-finished the rear triangle myself and reassembled with all new Enduroseal pivot bearings. Love my new custom paint and built kit more than any bike you can just pick up off the show-room floor. Rides beyond expectations and have less then $2k invested!

Favorite Trail:   Happy Hour @ Highlands

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   01 GT XCR 3000, 04 Weyless SP Pro, 08 Cannondale Rush

Bike Setup:   2008 BMC Trailfox 01 (120mm rear travel)
Stans Arch w/ DT Swiss 370 hubs
Edge 3D 100mm stem
Gatorbrake Aries 160mm rear/ 180mm front rotors
2010 Race Face Deus XC 31.6mm seatpost
Forte Pro SL saddle
Forte carbon fiber headset spacer kit
Cane Creek 40 Integrated headset
SRAM GXP Team BB
Enduroseals bearing sups kit
ESI Chunky grips
Powdercoat $100

Submitted by Greg01 a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, NC

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    Super Lightweight Frame. Works perfectly at a 140mm Travel (but with the Fox Talas, switching from 140-120-100mm allows for a great all mountain and cross country set up). Floating rear triangle is super stiff (resists torque) but also makes it seem like the back tire just floats over everything. BMC takes pride in their APS (Advance pivot system), which uses the angles of the pivots to create a center of gravity on the bike which is right beneath the rider's center of gravity. This allows for amazing control and balance of the bike. APS also uses chain tension while pedaling to stiffen the rear triangle to reduce pedal bob (but see weaknesses on APS).

Weaknesses:    Stand-over height can be reduced into one word: ouch.
I'm not sure if i like the head tube angle - at slow speeds around technical stuff, the steering is a bit more difficult than other bikes.
The APS works really well, but since it uses chain tension to reduce pedal bob, I have broken a handful of chains on technical climbs. I now carry an extra chain with me at all times because i've demolished so many with this bike (and i've never broken a chain before i got this bike)

The BIGGEST WEAKNESS: This bike is just too effin pretty to ride. BMCs are truly work of art; unfortunately i think i sit there staring at my bike more than i get to ride it

Bottom Line:
All around amazing bike. If you haven't quite found that thrill you've been seeking, and you come across any sort of BMC, i'd say jump on that right away.

In the first 5 minutes of test riding this bike on a trail, i thought to myself:
"So this is what a bike is supposed to feel like."
Then i bought it.

Purchased At:   J&L Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss SSD 190L // Fox Talas 32 RLC, x.9 drivetrain/x.0 shifters. Formula Oro Brakes, Cane Creek Wheelset, RaceFace Evolve XC Crank/BB

Submitted by j944 a Weekend Warrior from The Emerald City, WA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, climbs like a mountain goat and nible

Bottom Line:
Love this bike and it is by far one of the most fun to ride of my bikes.

Purchased At:   Hammerheads

SRAM X0
FSA carbon team crank

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Light for a 5in frame, beautiful craftsmanship, carbon rear triangle, swiss pivot bearings, etc. etc.

Weaknesses:    not a ton of standover, rear suspension bobs a bit more under pedaling than I expected...needs a platform shock like an RP2 or RP23

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the green/ white '07 model frame that I bought on ultra closeout in the summer of 2010. I wanted a longer travel bike to use on slightly gnarlier terrain than my 100mm XC bike likes to tackle.

The '07 model frame has 120mm rear travel and I put a 140mm fork on it because I got it cheap. 140mm may be a bit of overkill but it really soaks the rocky stuff up and also relaxes the relatively steep angles of this bike a bit. This frame was criticized a bit when it came out for being a 5" travel bike with XC racing geometery (71/73 degrees head and seat tubes). I personally don't mind it because I've been riding XC racing bikes for the last 20 years.

The craftsmanship on this frame is beautiful! just incredible quality...there are no short cuts. The paint scheme is a bit bright but it's also cool. I'm 5' 11" and the 19" doesn't have much standover for me but part of that is due to the fact that I'm riding with a slightly taller fork (although the specs say it's designed for a fork from 100-140mm). The seat to top tube length is a touch shorter than a full-on XC race bike so you sit a tad more upright...it's not totally 'moto style' like an AM or DH bike but it's noticeably more upright than your XC machine.

The rear suspension soaks up the bumps well and the bike climbs better than I expected. The virtual pivot design works mostly as advertised but it bobs more than I'd like it to when pedaling flats or climbing. People have compared this system to the Giant Maestro and I've owned a Giant Anthem X2 with the Maestro for a year (five stars, by the way) and this system isn't quite as smooth and does bob more but It's pretty close.

I personally like the geometry...it feels like an XC bike except that you're higher up and can bulldoze over things easier. I run my 140mm fork pretty soft and with quite a bit of sag so it sits lower while riding even though this makes it dive pretty hard under braking.

This is really a beautiful and high quality machine and one you won't see coming at you on the trail every 5 minutes. If you have a chance to pick one up used for a good deal and want that longer travel bike, go for it.

Favorite Trail:   dirt and rock

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   the usual suspects: Giant. Specialized, etc.

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR drivetrain, Recon 351 air 140mm air fork, lightweight xc wheels, carbon bar and seatpost.

Submitted by ering a Weekend Warrior from sactown

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    Well designed, lots of travel, great triangulation, carbon rear triangle, super 190l shock, and top of the line bearings.

Weaknesses:    None, maybe weight if it was compared to some racing machines.

Bottom Line:
The frame is superb. The color is a little bright, but the detail and the performance is equal to anything in the 5-6k usd range. The travel is amazing even for a clyde. It is so balanced it makes me a much better rider. Climbing is great, super for a trail/am bike, and handles like a decent xc bike. The design has been improved with the 09 bike (the link and weight), but this bike is all about value.

I'm 6-3 (36" inseam) and got the 21", which is one size small. I wouldn't NOT get the spec fit because of clearance (standover is tight). I rode it through rock gardens and single track all day and never thought that there was one thing that I would change.

Favorite Trail:   annadale

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Tested dozens of bikes. Rode spesh.

Bike Setup:   Raceface xc gear, great Magura xcr 130 fork, shimano.

BMC Trailfox 01 small frame

:skep: :skep: Hey fellas, Well this is the story. My wife and brother went in together and bought me a new 07 BMC Trailfox 01 with the DT Swiss shock for my birthday! Im thinking sweet!!! They had ordered it from Jenson USA for like $750 and change. The catch is they got me a small frame.:sk ... Read More »

Full suspension bike , BMC trailfox 01

Hi, Anyone knows about this full suspension bike here ? The BMC trailfox 01. [url]http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/trailfox-01-08-31640[/url] I notice this bike has carbon rear triangle. Anyone here knows if the carbon part is pure carbon or if there is alumin ... Read More »

Trailfox 01 with Avid BB7s?

Hey guys! First post here on mtbr. I'm building up a 2007 BMC Trailfox 01 bike and I have a question about the brakes. This is my first all mountain bike and also the first one with disc brakes, so I'd like to know how you guys would set up a rear brake, say a BB7, on this frame. There are no tra ... Read More »