BMC Fourstroke 03 XC Full Suspension

• Shifters: Shimano LX Rapid Fire SL
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano LX

Submitted by Jay a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2014

Strengths:    It took 3 months for the first frame to break

Weaknesses:    I am on my second frame, which just broke. Both frames broke in half where the stays connect to the seat post....apparently a chronic problem and still no recall. Do not buy - I am selling my replacement 3rd frame and going to a different company

Submitted by cyclohead a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Build quality, dual link suspension resist bobbing, nice size headtube, stiff frame.

Weaknesses:    Seat tube is not continuous to the bottom bracket. Cannot get the seat post to go down far enough without cutting the seatpost.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fabulous. Efficient pedaling, and quick to maneuver along the trail with the proper set up. The suspension has a nice and progressive feel, and continues to work while braking. Climbs like a hardtail bike without the harshness and loss of traction. It feels well balanced and stable at slow speeds. Going down on this bike makes you want to go faster, but wishing you had a few more inches of travel when you hit those rock gardens. For a cross country bike it is wonderful. Don't ride it like you would an all mountain bike. I got a great deal on this frame and for a cross country frame it is outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Bikeman

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Rush, Gary Fisher Cake 2,

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Reba Team Dual Air 9mm QR fork, DT Swiss 190L rear shock, Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes, Mavic XM 819 disc rims, XT hubs, Maxxis Crossmark tubless tire 2.1, Wheelsmith Butted Spokes, XT cranks, and cassettes, XT shadow RD, XT FD, XT shifters, Gore Ride On sealed derailleur cables, Thomson seatpost and stem, Easton Monkey Lite XC carbon bars (low rise), Cane Creek 110 headsets (beautiful), ODI grips, Fizik Vitesse HP saddle, Crank Brothers pedal 5050 XX

Submitted by Andy0912 a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Good looking frame, good build quality, nice geometry, very good linkage with minimal to non existence bobbing.

Weaknesses:    So far so good, matte finish chips easier, which is a norm.

Integrated seatpost clamp? Which means that if it somehow fails or cracks, that's it. No issue with the clamp thus far though, works like a charm, tight and doesn't slip.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking at a xc bike, the fourstroke will not disappoint you.

Confident inspiring in trail rides, that is when you get the ideal settings for your shock, very good linkage with minimal bobbing, ride feels sturdy.

I do road rides with lowest rebound setting(I don't use lockout) and it rides just fine comparing to my previous hardtail.

Slack riding position(maybe because I downsized from 21-22" to my current 19" fourstroke and my thomson's too short to go any higher), short top tube.

Considering this frame? Go test ride if possible, doubt you'll regret getting it! Got my at a special price so yeah, loving every moment of it.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah Mountain Biking Trail

Purchased At:   Swiss Valley

Similar Products Used:   My first full susser.

Bike Setup:   Black FourStroke 03 '08 with DT Swiss SSD 190L rear(stock), RockShox Recon Race front.

Submitted by TheIceman1969 a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome looking, excellent build quality.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Haven't ridden it much but build quality and head turning appeal. VPP system is awesome. bike climbs like a hardtail and decends like a demon. Need to get used to bike abit more but its like handing a surgeon a sharp scalpel.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Helderberg cycles

Similar Products Used:   BMC Team Elite 02, Giant Anthem 1, GT 1.0, Giant NRS1

Bike Setup:   Fox F100RLC, XT/SLX/X-9 Avid Elixir R, KCNC everything, Crank Brother Candy Pedals etc. WTB Lazerdisk XC, Maxxis Lust UST.

Submitted by Master Yoda a Weekend Warrior from ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    Great frameset, made me a much more daring rider, feels lighter than it's registered wheight, climbs very efficiently without having to leave the saddle. looks great!

Weaknesses:    paint scratches off a bit too easily...

Bottom Line:
i would only betray my fourstroke for a W.F.O Niner
(my next project. main obstacle: wife...)

Favorite Trail:   Ben_Shemen forest

Purchased At:   Wertheimer Sports

Bike Setup:   manitou minute fork, sram X-7 brakes, mavic crossride wheels, maxxis lust (tubeless) tires, easton seatpost, selle italia seat

Submitted by cphaas a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    Virtual Pivot System, strong, stiff, excellent Swiss design

Weaknesses:    Top tube a tad short, funky seat clamp on original model

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It does everything well, climbs, descends, corners. Works well on fireroards as well as singletrack. The suspension is superb on this. It does not bob going uphill and soaks up bumps well.

As mentioned above, the top tube is a tad short and the original design had no seat tube collar an insted used a funky clamp mechanism that required an additional $50 to buy the quick release adapter, which was only made by BMC.

This bike turns heads and I constantly get asked about it. I like the fact that it is rare (I've only ever seen one other). If anybody ever stole this, I could spot it quickly.

Anyone who buys this bike should not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Almaden Quicksilver

Purchased At:   Univaersal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Float 100RLC, X9 drivetrain, Juicy 5's, Mavic Crosstrail

Submitted by tallandy a Cross Country Rider from Queens NY

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Strong and stiff frame for it's weight superb quality excellent design

Weaknesses:    they need to build this in a 29er version! the paint wears off easily

Bottom Line:
I don't write too many reviews but I think this bike deserves it a light efficient solid frame (I am 6'4" and 270#) and this bike has no noticeable flex at all. For a big guy the frame is well balanced and handles great. I had bikes that were heavy and harder to climb and lighter bikes that flexed and not as well balanced and cracked the frame this does it all I would defiantly get another if they made a 29er version. Forget about the big brand hype this bike is on the money

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Similar Products Used:   spec enduro, spec stumpy, giant yukon, salsa el santo

Bike Setup:   all the good stuff Magura Laurin 100mm

Submitted by lmckee a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Decent frame weight, very stiff and solid, well thought out geometry, suspension design is second to none, quality and craftsmanship are excellent, very good looking frame, dt xm 180 shock doesn't miss a beat.

Weaknesses:    Geometry may not be for everyone (short top tube), there are lighter frames out there (but thats what the fs02 and fs01 are for).

Bottom Line:
This really is an excellent frameset, I've never had to second guess it it any situation. The thing climbs better than a hardtail, descends wonderfully, and I can stand up and hammer on it with no bob. This frame is light, beautiful, and confidence inspiring. It's everything I look for in a frame.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay

Purchased At:   Bicycle Pro In Borde

Similar Products Used:   Specialized fsr xc, numerous other fs bikes but none for more than a few minutes.

Bike Setup:   09 sid team, x.0/xtr mechs w/ x.0 triggers, xt crank and cassette, avid elixir r brakes, thomson post, selle flite saddle, pro plt stem w/ pro xc-r risers, hope pro 2/mavic 717 disc/dt comp wheelset.

Submitted by pfoxbike a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs greats, bombs on the downs and has nice flow on the flats. Light weight with bomb proof build.

Weaknesses:    PAINT! It chips. I'm not sure why BMC didn't put a good coat of paint on the bike?

Bottom Line:
Since my first ride on my BMC, I haven't touched my hardtail. It rides great for cross country, all-mountain, and xc racing.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   via QBP

Similar Products Used:   Any bike with the VPP suspension design.

Bike Setup:   Fox 32 100mm, Sram x9, Thomson post and stem, king hubs with 718s.

Submitted by Meyrick a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, the pivot (they designed this for those uphill trails and likewise when bombing DH) its smooth.
That's Swiss tech at work.

Weaknesses:    I must say the paint job...but whose MTB doesnt get scratched when it goes trailing

Bottom Line:
The Swiss designed the VPS to a tee and they are known for it precision. Powerful on climbs and pedaling is very efficient besides it looks like a Swiss Army Knife ( I got the red one). I never regretted getting this frame.
A must for those doing agressive XC biking and I heard that the bike when properly setup is good to use for those endurance races.

Purchased At:   ManilaGiant

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem 3, Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss (rear), SID Team (front), Am Classic MTB 26 wheelsets, full Shimano XT

Submitted by Dirk a Cross Country Rider from Nagoya, Japan

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    versatile, good looking , stiff, comfortable yet fast

Weaknesses:    difficult to dial in , agility at low speed .

Bottom Line:
I have been studying and testing for 6 months on which FS bike I was going to spend my hard earned money. The BMC was an easy choice after I test rode it. This bike can handle serious terrain obstacles . It is designed in Switserland, they have Alps there remember! It is fast but may not be the fastest bike in rolling terrain or the fireroad hillclimb. It is very good at steep , rocky and rooted stuff, the more the better . Downhill it stays nice and stable , may a bit light but I consider that a good thing for my reflexes and the occasional adrenalin shot you get from riding it. Even though generally I spin quite nicely I did put a platform Fox FP23 on it to increase its' efficiency when blasting away on rolling terrain. My buddy rides an Epic and even though the suspension is from a different world , the bikes stay nicely together on rollin g terrain . When the going' gets rough the BMC just takes over.
The ground clearance is phenomenal, you also feel seated high , that limits the turning in slow and tight forest a bit. The good point is that I hardly ever hit stuff with the chainrings or pedals . With the propedal on, this bike flies over the small rough. The stock wheels are really bad IMHO ( Sun CR18 ) , may depend on export region. I am used to a basic Mavic crossride on my HT and these wheels just don't take forces they get. When braking I feel the spokes cringe . ( Xmas upgrade coming up ) But I wanted the frame. The Giant Anthem was in the same price range and I liked it too , but here was little to upgrade from without spending heaps of cash on really high end stuff componentry . The comfort was a bit less too on the Giant and I like to ride for at least 3 hours. Closest contender was the GT , but that bike was a bit too slow in rolling terrain. Overall the BMC has nice abilities and a pretty face. Engineers must love to look at the details . Why are we all bending those tubes suddenly? Don't get fooled by marketing... Back to the BMC: Set it up with little sag, a flat bar, flashy wheels: you got yourself a rolling terrain fast bike, put on the riser and some more sag, and you can almost go climb trees. It is bit difficult to find the right sus settings but I am not sure it that is me or the suspension . The fourstroke will perform well on most events except may be the fast short XC race on easy terrain. I ride about 5000 Km offroad per year and I truly believe this bike makes me a better rider . On my previous HT I have found the bikes'limits , this bike has found my limits. The FS03 is a versatile machine and where it really shines is on a marathon race in high mountain type technical and aggressive terrain. No fives because I want better/cheaper bikes 10 years from now . most important: do you know what kind of riding you want to do? Answer that, then choose a steed.

Favorite Trail:   Iwayadoo, aichi

Purchased At:   Kamihagi, Komaki

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem, Specialised epic fsr, Cannondale scalpel 2008 , GT i-drive, Giant Trance, Specialised Stumpjumper 2008

Bike Setup:   brake : juicy 7 185mm rotors; cranks : XT , other drivetrain parts SRAM X-7 , 50 dollar wheels

Submitted by Julius a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely light frame, simple shock settings, beautiful paint job, simple yet sick ass geometry, APS suspension!!!

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily, watch out for rocks!! Seatpost lock lever is awkward.

Bottom Line:
This bike absolutely rocks! I bought the frame from eBay ($750) and built it up. THE best bike I've ridden so far. It climbs just as quick as my hardtail. Setup your suspension (20% sag) just right and you have a rocket. This bike is just as quick as my NRS on singletrack but with better input from the Ario 2.2 going uphill. APS kicks butt! Do not put crap components on this bike or it won't look right. Highly recommend for any mid-level biker or entry level racer! My only gripe you will not sustain the pretty paint job because it chips but hey it's a mtb.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, Descanso, CA

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   2003 Giant NRS 3, 2001 Giant Rainier SE

Bike Setup:   2007 BMC Fourstroke 03, RS Reba SL, RS Ario 2.2, Shimano XT (fd,cranks), SRAM X.9 (rd, shifters), Avid BB7, Thomson seatpost, Mavic Crossride

Submitted by Lesley a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    The product itself looks awesome. Brought it to the local bike shop to have it fitted and it certainly turned everybody's heads. Handles the trails quite well and is very responsive... although I'm not sure whether its just because my setup on the bike is more XC oriented now. Mine is fitted with fox f80 rlt, its an excellent ride and I don't think I'll be changing bikes anytime soon.

Weaknesses:    The finish looks too flash to be ruined. I find myself thinking about the frame whenever I hit the trail. The suspension appears firmer than that of the ellsworth given the same shock settings.

Bottom Line:
Pedalling is efficient and without bobbing. The bike is quite maneuverable and weaves great around the XC trails. My setup feels light and responsive. External appearance unrivaled... IF you can maintain the finish.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail, Ellsworth Moment with fox RP3. Jamis Dakar.

Bike Setup:   Fourstroke 03 with Rock Shox Ario 2.2 Lockout. Fox F80 RLT. Juicy 7's, SRAM X-9. Truvative Stylo Carbon. Ritchey stem and bars and SPD pedals, SDG I-beam seatpost.

Submitted by Ryan from Cable, WI

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    Smoothest, most efficient riding full suspension frame that I have owned. My last 3 bikes were an 05' Ellsworth Moment, 04' Ellsworth Truth, and an 02' Giant NRS, and this one delivers the best ride by far. It soaks up all of the bumps, and allows me to power up any hill without wasting energy.

Weaknesses:    Functionally, none. My only small gripe is that the top tube is a little short for me though - just personal preference, and it is easily resolved by a slightly setback seatpost.

Bottom Line:
Awesome ride that looks and performs great - can't be beat by frames that cost twice as much.

Similar Products Used:   Owned a Ellsworth Truth, and a Giant NRS. Demoed a Specialized Epic (Hated it).

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Crossmax Wheels, Fox 100 RLT front shock, and upgraded to a RP23 rear shock.

Submitted by Spider Monkey a Cross Country Rider from D-town, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    FAAAST VPP design, stiff frame, quick geometry, more travel than advertised

Weaknesses:    Tall BB / standover height, seatpost clamp; pedal bob - I am a bit of a masher and still working out the sag?? Would like a RP23 shock!!

Bottom Line:
At first it felt a bit tall. I am 6'3" ~180 lbs and I felt like I was up reeel high. I don't have a huge inseam, but it is still hard to stand over the L frame with out smaking the boys around. Then I just started to ride it, dialed the fork up to ~125mm travel from 100mm... and did it get fast. I like the idea of VPP, but the Blur XC/LT/Classic was a little too upright. Then the BMC is a similar feel, but with a stiffer rear end (and who doesn't like that) and a more laid out cockpit. Now that I am used to it...it is amazing. Climbs waaay better than I could ever hope / dream. Descends better than cranked up spider monkey with his @ss on fire. I guess it could climb like that too. And no one else is riding them. Go git one and git 'er done on a BMC.

Buy it- If you're a cross-country type person with aspirations of riding bigger stuff and like to go fast up and down.
Don't buy it - If you want a Nomad or a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Buff-creek, monarch crest, chasing my wife?