BMC Fourstroke 02 XC Full Suspension

• Seatpost: Scor Race, 31.6 mm
  • Saddle: Selle Italia Filante

Submitted by muttonmark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Floating Pivot, geometry

Weaknesses:    Stand over height

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2011 Fourstroke Carbon FS01 Frameset. All that I can say is...WOW!!!! Point this baby where you want it to go, and its like a rocket. Light, and just feels good. Climbing it feels like my hardtail. With the Floating Pivot Technology, you can't tell if there is any pedal bob what-so-ever. It just feels like all of your efforts are trasfering directly to the rear axle. The geometry makes for precise steering, not squirely, but not real slack either. Great for XC, which is what it is designed for. The way it handles just makes me feel like a better rider.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia Dunes

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XCT 4 Carbon, Reynolds 853 Hardtail, Jamis Dakar XCT

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossmax ST, X-fusion Fork, Shimano XT, Race Face Cockpit, Avid BB7, Crank Bros Candy 3's, Maxxis Crossmark/Ignitor

Submitted by joey_vtec2000 a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    Point and Shoot! Great Climber! Feels like hardtail riding uphill!
Very agressive in such a way you can speed up with almost anything on the trail!
Light, Stiff and Smooth! (LSS)
Perfect XC Frame geometry.
I like the color combination...Black ang Green with white decal accents.

Weaknesses:    uhh...well...NONE!!

Bottom Line:
This frame is perfect for me..I'm hooked!!

Favorite Trail:   Bonte! Cordillera Mountain Province

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC, Giant Anthem

Bike Setup:   Full XT 10x Dynasis Gruppo including wheelset, FSA SL-K Carbon handlebar, stem, seatpost. RockShox SID Race. Manitou Swinger 3 way adjust SPV rear shocks. KMC Gold SuperLight 10x chain. Token..KCNC...

Submitted by bigdeeze a Cross Country Rider from Telluride,Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    Ascends like a french alpinist on speed. Descends like an olympic bobsleder. Always feels solid under me-no flex. climbs better than an epic as it i fully active. Comparable to the maestro design on a giant Anthem or santa cruz blur. Pivots are solid-low maintainence

Weaknesses:    Spendy, albeit worth every dime

Bottom Line:
After many years riding and working in shops, this is THE BIKE i've been searching for. I like long rides, usually lots of climbing (which i'm not the best at) and bombing it back down. This is the most efficient climber I've ever been on, and it's solid as a rock on descents. If thats your style, get a BMC.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   easyrider

Similar Products Used:   Giant anthem/trance. Specialized epic s-works.

Bike Setup:   xtr derailers/wheels. XT cranks/shifters. Hayes carbon stroker brakes. race face next bars.

Submitted by bULL a Cross Country Rider from phila, pa

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    i do whatever I can to rotate s/mt, wissa, french creek, salisbury, american standard and cpl others in thorpe. wide range of trails and performs excellent in all. the well balance set up allows to easily manhandle it through anything at any speed.

Weaknesses:    still looking .

Bottom Line:
it’s been almost 6/months of hard pounding on this thing and have made several adjustment along the way, but then again I ride fast, hard and by no means baby this beast. I can’t believe the hope hubs…man what is with these things. Shocks have been perfectly tweaked and all of the bugs have been worked out. After a couple of weeks off do to the ridiculous weather we’re looking forward to getting back in the saddle after the 1st.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   purenergycycling

Submitted by lubike a Cross Country Rider from nelson,bc, can

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Light, freakin gorgeous, smooth.

Weaknesses:    high standover

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame from a guy who went to a 29er, it has a couple of dings that do not effect the ride. He was offering the frame and a nice fox fork for $1000, on a whim I offered $300 for the frame only and he went for it. This is the fanciest piece of technology I have ever settled my butt on. The DT swiss is amazing, it completely smooths out small bumps at speed. I am looking forward to finding a decent fork and xc wheelset for it, getting the weight down, and really letting fly. I don't have any experience with xc full suspension, but I love how this frame makes me feel.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   hardtail kona cindercone (stolen)

Bike Setup:   07 fourstroke, dt swiss rear shock, XT rear, everything else needs upgrade.

Submitted by the bull a Cross Country Rider from phila pa usa

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    hand picked everything. custom built from Arounkone (my buddy) at pureenergycycling.com excellent service we took our time

Weaknesses:    none yet. considering i haven't picked it up yet. but will gladly keep you posted.

Bottom Line:
After doing all the research we have built a lean mean racing machine coming in at 23lbs & change. I wanted to go even lighter but they wouldn't let me.
Excellent Racer and XC haul asser.
you get what you pay for!

Favorite Trail:   wissa

Purchased At:   pureenergycycling.co

Similar Products Used:   old school nuke proof (hard tail) full xrt

Bike Setup:   stans olympic wheels (black), black dt spokes, red nipples, red hope hubs. formula brakes, crank: race face dues, rest is all xt, res salsa ti stems.monkey lite handle bars east carbon seat post.

Submitted by deanofoto a Racer from Durango, Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2009

Strengths:    Ridged, light enough, no creaks from the bearings.

Weaknesses:    stand over height

Bottom Line:
Had a 07 Fourstroke and busted the rear carbon triangle and got an 08 in replacement. It took awhile to get the replacement frame. The new 08 changed to an AL rear triangle and replaceable pivots/bearings. The rear DT shock sucked air into the dampening oil so I got an Fox RP23 for it. It wil bounce if you stand up and mash. The technique is to spin a circle "lifting on the up stroke" while standing over short punchy rollers. I've won a couple expert races on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Crested Butte singletrack

Purchased At:   Kokopelli Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, 07 Fourstroke

Bike Setup:   08 Fourstroke, Stans wheels, SRAM

Submitted by Dino a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive, smooth, light (for dual susser) tell me when to stop. This bike is pretty amazing!

Weaknesses:    Yet to discover any.

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame only and transferred my kit across. Initially I missed the dynamics of my hardtail but after the first ride I knew I'd made the right decision. I bought this for the Cape Epic and in the last few months my training has taken on a whole new level of fun and joy as I've got to grips with the dynamics of such a well sorted dual susser. This thing takes some big hits on very rocky singletrack and still begs to be taken a bit harder. So far nothing has conquered it (arguably not even me) and I am one very very happy MTBer!

This is a lot of money for a frame, but if you really want value for money this is the baby for you.

Favorite Trail:   Jonkershoek

Similar Products Used:   Too many to remember

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO & X9, FSA carbon crankset, Avid Ultimate brakes, KCNC seatpost, skewers, jockey wheels (you get the picture). ZTR Olympic rims with Maxxis Crossmark tubbies. Easton carbon handlebars and stem.

Submitted by mogligirl a Cross Country Rider from Spanish fork, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Strengths:    Climbing and Descending. Very light. Stays glued to trail like none other.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and hard to find--rare in U.S.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've owned. And look at the bikes I've owned. Better than any of them.

Climbs better than any of them. For trail riding, you need a bike that can climb like a hardtail w/o being locked out. This is that bike. Virtual pivot is the way to go.

Descends better than an Ellsworth Truth or a Hi Fi carbon. I tried it w/ the 5 inch rocker links and liked it even better. Feels like a Blur or the Genius MC ltd on the descents.

If you can find one, buy it! Used they normally sell for cheap because not that many people know about them so there's not a big demand for them. So value rating is 5+. Since its the best bike I've owned, overall rating is also a 5+.

Target market: people who don't want to make compromises between an XC race bike and a trail bike. (I just ride trails, but every ride w/ my buddies is a race. We drop the hammer. And we race at the local races at Sundance resort a couple of times each season. I took first in sport this year.)

Favorite Trail:   tons of favorites

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I have owned: Scott Spark, Scott Genius MC LTD, Cannondale Rush Carbon, Gary Fisher Hi Fi Carbon, Trek Fuel Carbon, Ellsworth Truth, Titus Racer X, , Giant Trance Specialized Epic, Specialized Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Blur,Salsa Caballero, Cannondale Scalpel, Brodie Sauce Team, Litespeed Niota, Jamis Dakar XC Pro, GT I-drive, Rocky Mountain Instinct, Rocky Mountain Element, KHS 904 XCR Team, Lenz Sport Revelation

Bike Setup:   Full XTR; Talas fork, Crossmax SLR rims

Submitted by kievitl a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff and fast

Weaknesses:    Stand over height could be a little lower to provide a better frame fit

Bottom Line:
Before purchasing I was a little confused over brand / design, I borrowed the same spec bike from the local bike shop and made a simple decision to buy. This bike is not cheap but well worth the outlay. I purchased the frame a few months ago and built a top draw machine to race marathons and XC races. To date the bike has proved a dream. The suspension is stiff and responsive, the bike is a lethal weapon on descents. I have successfully put the bike through a number of trails were my hard tail and NRS would have failed. Big and small bumps are all dealt with in the same way, the suspension eats them up. I have not used rear the lockout as the bike has no bob once the pressure is correctly set. I am 5.74 feet and have to ride a 19inch frame, as stated the stand over height could be a little lower. Remember BMC is Swiss, they have the Alps the bike must be a responsive!