BeOne Nirvana 1.0 XC Full Suspension

• Stem: Ritchey WCS
  • Seatpost: Alloy

Submitted by I-S a Cross Country Rider from Yorks, UK

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2010

Strengths:    Horst link design
Finishing
Semi-integrated headset

Weaknesses:    Geometry

Bottom Line:
2007 (Horst link) BeOne Nirvana 1.0

I bought this frame from Chain Reaction because it was well priced and I wanted a horst-link design - my frame at the time was a single-pivot Marin that while light, was a bit tall for me and I found myself bothered by the weaknesses of the single-pivot design.

The frame is nicely finished with good paint, great welds, some very nice detailing, etc, etc, etc. The suspension design worked well, but would have benefited from a platform shock. Perhaps it would have been nice if it had been designed for a 190mm shock also.

However, I could never get on with this frame. I tried, really I did. What let it down in the end just could not be tuned out - the geometry. The wheelbase of the bike was very short, the head angle very steep (71 degrees) and the seat angle quite lax. With a layback post to extend the cockpit, the weight balance was very rearwards. I went from a 4" to a 5" fork, I changed stems, seat posts, etc...

The general effect of this geometry was very difficult to work with. The steep head angle made tight turns rather fraught, combined with the possibilities for bashing your own foot with the front wheel (did I mention that short wheelbase?). The rearward weight distribution meant that with less weight on the front wheel it would slip more easily... All of that I might have been able to deal with, but for the high-speed issue where the bike would begin to wobble from side to side at 30mph or so. Whether pilot-induced or not, the bike exhibited far too little stability for my liking.

In the end, this bike caused me to park up my bikes for more than a year because I just couldn't enjoy riding it. I lost the will to bike. It's a shame that they got this so badly wrong, because the build and the suspension design worked and worked well.

So, to value.... 1/5 of course. No matter how little paid, the cost wasn't worth it. Overall... I'll actually give it 2/5 because some of it was right. The semi-integrated headset, the build quality and the horst-link were all good. If they'd got the geometry right it could so easily have been fives.

Purchased At:   CRC