Azonic Propulsion Full Suspension Frame XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (18 Reviews)

This Cross Country frame has been built for performance. Features lightweight 7005 Alcoa tubing, gusseted headtube and a 4 bar linkage system to keep the power to the ground. Comes with Romic coil over shock. Replaceable derailluer hanger

Submitted by jefferym a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    I purchased this frame after reading all the positive reviews here and I have to say that my experience with the Azonic Propulsion frame and customer service have been unsatisfactory. The rear end of this frame is noticable flexy (side to side). Definitely not stiff. Also, it seems that alot of people are saying that this frame is "over-built". Not the case with mine. It looked tough, but after only a couple of summers of XC riding - the chain-stay of my rear triangle broke(I weigh 175). I called Azonic to see if they would replace it and they said they only have a 1-year warranty on their frames. What a joke. I guess you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Azonic customer service is lacking. They only offer a 1-year warranty on their frames. Not very confidence inspiring - especially after my experience.

Favorite Trail:   National

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar, Specialized Enduro,

Submitted by charles from Rockland county, NY, USofA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    super strong...rare..horst link!, sick flat powder coat.

Weaknesses:    none to think of..except pedaling up singletrack or fireroads you must drop the front fork!

Bottom Line:
the frame is over built for xc..its definately hardcore trail if anything, and soon a uk co. might make adjustable hangerplates to give it 5+inch travel up from 4". that would make this bike perfect..and i'll need a 140mm fork..
and the romic lets me take 3-5 foot drops like nothing.

If you want a light XC bike..nope, if you want a good all mountain trail bike...this is it, if you can find one!

Favorite Trail:   ringwood state park, NJ

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   specialized, intense5.5, superlight..

Bike Setup:   marz 120 mx pro eta, raceface cranks,stem,bar..hayes hydro, romic ti coil.

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from Wilson, WY

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, overbuilt frame for freeride use and XC versatility. Depending on the build this bike can do anything from 3 foot drops to epic trail rides.

Weaknesses:    Heavy but durable.

Bottom Line:
The Azonic Saber with the Horst link (FSR) pivot is unaffected by pedaling, braking. Its a true 4-bar VP design at a bargain price. It climbs and descends smoothly, jumps well. The bike is so sturdy you can replace parts as they wear out and ride the same frame for 10 years. I have built it from light XC to stronger trail bike and keep liking it more as it morphs to my riding style. 5" travel setting climbs and descends better for me than the 6" setting. Perfect trail bike.

Purchased At:   wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   SC Nomad, Gary Fisher Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   Azonic Saber 19" frame. 5" rear travel mode. SRAM X-9 everything. Hayes Nine 8" rotors. Truvatic Psylo triple chainring. Manitou Sherman 130mm fork. Azonic DW handlebar.

Submitted by Carlos Marquez a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2006

Strengths:    Great value for money. Reliable and solid. Great downhiller and handles just about anything I can throw at it.

Weaknesses:    Terrible climber. Difficult to turn and handle through tight tracks. Stock rear shock is terrible.

Bottom Line:
For the money this is a great frame. Handles descents very well, no jacking under braking, holds it's line nicely. Climbing is the down side. Difficult to point forward when it gets really steep. Through tight single track it's like piloting a boat. The stock rear shock is terrible. If you want small bump compliance you get terrible bob. If you want minimal bob, then the ride is overly harsh for a full susser. A better shock I believe would make a huge difference, but then for the extra money you may as well get another frame entirely.

If you like going down fast, and are not too worried about getting back up again, then it will do well. If you want an excellent all round performer, maybe look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Action Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Nothing in the price range. Titus Moto Lite, Ellsworth Truth

Bike Setup:   Z2 Atom 80, XT drive train with Race Face cranks. Ringle wheelset, Titec cockpit

Submitted by Reaper a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2006

Strengths:    Perfectly dialed in FSR Horst Link suspension. Extremely lightweight for a burly frame build. Immaculate welds, beautiful polished finish, perfect angles for both long steep climbing and steep, rocky descents. High Bottom bracket breezes over rocky terrain. Steering is precise and controlled.

Weaknesses:    Everyone wants it!

Bottom Line:
This frame geometry rocks. The front range trails around Denver entail long steep climbs of varying technical levels with steep descents and the Propulsion geometry suits both perfectly. The Horst link set up on the Propulsion maximizes small bump compliance while really keeping the rear end glued to the trail without a lot of bucking around on rocky sections. My build which was not targeted at being lightweight with large tubeless tires, freeride specific hydraulick brakes, and the romic coil shock which weighs three times what an air shock weighs, comes in right under 28 pounds and I have absolutely no carbon on this build.

The welds are superb and the craftmanship of this build is second to none. Xtension manufactured this frame for Azonic which is another plus. You'll hear the arguments that the US made boutique bike frames are superior to the asian ones, but that isn't always the case. Xtension is a "boutique" Taiwanese frame manufacturer that is the talk of Europe and highly respected around the world. Their current offerings are some of the most acclaimed frames throughout Asia, Europe, and Australia, and they have really mastered implementing the Horst Link into their performance specifi frame geometry.

The first trails I hit with this bike after the build up were in Fruita, Grand Junction, and Moab and the bike handled equally well on both the rocky steep trails of Fruita, and the slickrock trails of Moab. After returning to Denver to the long endurance climbs of the Front Range I found its climbing to be very efficient.

All in all, this is a great frame with a burly build that can be built anywhere between 25 and 30 lbs depending on your riding style. 5 flamin chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Holy Cross - Grand Junction, CO

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Haro XLS R3, Specialized Stumpjumper, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Azonic Propulsion 18" Frame, Magura Asgard 100mm fork w/lockout, Romic Double rear coil, Magura Louise FR hydraulic brakes, Mavic 819 laced to Hope XC Hubs, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 UST tires, Sram X9 thumb shifters and rear derailleur, SRAM PG 990 cassette, Truvative Fire X crank, stem and bars, with Shimano 647 pedals.

Submitted by Dara a Weekend Warrior from Dublin

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2005

Strengths:    High quaility fabrication and detail. Gusset interface between seattube,toptube, rocker arm mount is beautifully simple and reassuring. Continuous seattube. True 4 bar link design is very efficient(Romic shock). Superb price. Simplicity of design.

Weaknesses:    Stickers aren't lackered over. Rear derailure has contacted chainstay pivot but I haven't had a proper tune of gears yet.

Bottom Line:
Well thought out frame with quality touches. Identical rear end to similar ellsworth and turner offerings without the massive price tag. Very efficient rear end and super plush shock.
This isn't an over hyped and priced bike like so many other brands but can go toe to toe and more than hold its own with these other brands.
Awesome understated frame even without the fact that it is pure value for money. My ideal type of product

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cinder Cone, Specialized fsr, Sintessi Bazooka, Specialized P3

Bike Setup:   16.5 inch with romic 700lb shock'03 Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off (130mm), chris king headset Mavic rims laced to shimano deore hubs, Shimano M556 disc brakes, Race Face Evolve XC crankset, XT derailures and shifters, Thomson seat post & X4 stem, Easton EA70 31.8 riser bar

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    Strong frame with reinforcements and solid welds, no rear triangle flex, bearings at all 4 main pivots, true 4bar horst link, no brake or chain tension induced bobbing/lockout

Weaknesses:    Steep head angle worsened by the long head tube, that barely accomodates longer than 100mm forks... making the front end much higher than what I'm used too. This is great for descending, but a pain on climbs since the front tire will lose traction on steep stuff. Clearcoat easily scratched.

Bottom Line:
I went from riding a Klein hardtail to this so the changes were drastic.

First the negatives: This is a heavy frame for light XC, about 6 pounds with shock. I definately feel slower in the climbs. This is made worse by the steep head angle and long head tube, which lifts the front end up and decreases front tire traction on steep climbs. The rear derailleur sometimes makes contact with the chainstay in the smallest cog. Also, the rear tire clearance accommodates tires up to 2.3" max only. I don't feel as confident which steering as I did with the Klein... and the overall balance on the bike is more fidgety. This is probably due to the bike being much more compact in length versus my Klein.

The positives: Bike suspension is awesome. Very little peddle induced bobbing if the shock is set up correctly. Little to none brake or chain induced bobbing/lockup. It descends very well and stays grounded in the bumps. The construction is bombproof--thick strong tubing and square seat and chain tubes are so stiff. The welds look strong with great reinforcement.

Overall: For the money, this is a great Horst link 4 bar linkage frame. It holds it own versus an Ellsworth Truth, Intense Tracer, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Titus Racer-x/Moto Lite, Turner Burner/Flux, KHS xc904r, Pre-2003 Jamis Dakar. It is probably amongst the strongest in this group, but amongst the heaviest. If you want a xc bike that you can bump around for years, this is it. It's too heavy for racing, but just right for a level below true freeriding, which is exactly what I do, making it perfect for me.

Favorite Trail:   petapsco

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   2000 Specialized FSR, 1999 Klein Attitude Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Small frame 16.5" with Romic shock
2000 RST XMO 80mm fork
Bontrager Race X Lite Centerlock
Kenda Nevegals 1.95 (R), Karma 2.1
XTR disc brakes, F/R derailleurs, cranks
XT cassette, chain, shifters, levers
Eggbeaters Si
Thomson stem, post
Easton EA70 bar
Odi Lockons
Selle Italia Trans Am Max

Submitted by Skip a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    incredibly strong, little to no flex, rarely see another one on the trail

Weaknesses:    Thin clearcoat, main bearings had to be replaced within 1 year, heavy rear shock (romic), warranty void if purchased from Price Point

Bottom Line:
I love my bike dearly. I have spent a lot of time (and money) getting it just the way I like it. As it is currently set up, it is as light as the XTR Blur, but I only have about half the money invested. The only problem that i have had is with the main pivot. I have to tighten it fairly regularly. Additionally, I have already had to replace the main bearings. All of this is quite understandable and considered routine maintenance in my eyes. My one complaint is that upon contacting Azonic regarding the bearings, I discovered that because the frame was purchased via Price Point, that they will not honor the warranty.

i love my propulsion and would recommend to anyone. With an air shock, my bike would be right at 25 pounds which is very respectable for a full suspension bike. I think I'm going to try lock-tight on the main pivot bolt to see if that problem can go away.

Favorite Trail:   Dark Mountain Trail, Wilkesboro, NC

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Giant NRS, Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   26.0 pounds
>Manitou Skareb Elite 100mm
>Spinergy Xyclone Race wheels
>Chris King headset
>XT hollowtech cranks (single ring with MRP guide)
>Thomson Stem and Post
>Forte Pro SLX saddle
>Time ATAC clipless
>XT rear derailleur
>Avid SD7 v-brakes/levers
>Answer Protaper Carbon bars
>ODI Ruffian grips
>hutchinson python airlight tires w/ stan's kit

Submitted by Ron Taylor a Cross Country Rider from Amherst, NH

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2005

Strengths:    Quality of frame construction, superb welds.

Weaknesses:    Thin paint finish.

Bottom Line:
My first full suspension. First time ride was unbelievable and kicked myself for not going FS sooner. Did a lot of research and seriously considered the big name brands until I found Azonic at less than half of the $s of the top-end frames I was looking at. I don't race and wanted a sturdy, low maintenance, well-performing ride. The Propulsion is perfect for my style. It handles well all around and climbs exceptionally well. Weight is moderately heavy but so am I. This frame is an exceptional buy. Found the paint rubs off fairly easy from cables but Nissan Silver Ice touch up paint is a perfect match. Azonic could do a better job at advertising and providing specs for the frame on their site but found enough information on the 'net to compare to the other frames. Haven't run into another Azonic owner on the trails and get a lot of questions about mine. Anyone looking at 3.5"-4" travel frames: I highly recommend giving this one a hard look.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   thebikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Hard tails.

Bike Setup:   XT fr & rr derialleurs and shifters. Truvativ cranks &BB. Mavic 717s with XT hubs, Avid mech discs, Easton bar and stem, FSA Orbit II XL headset. Romic coil over rear, Rox Shox Pyslo front.

Submitted by Rick Pierce a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2005

Strengths:    Immaculate machining and welds, nice clear coat finish.
Smooth precision bearings at all pivot points. Solid construction, Very attractive frame. Extremely efficient fully active suspension.

Weaknesses:    Decals not clearcoated. Frame dimensions not listed, even absent from Azonic's site. Derailer will occasionally contact dropout in certain gear combinations.

Bottom Line:
I have owned, ridden and raced numerous full suspension bikes over the last 10-12 years, and for one reason or another, I have always gone back to riding hardtails. I do race my bicycles, so weight and efficiency are very important to me. Some of the bikes I have owned, have been very inefficient {early Proflex's} and some have been too heavy and the suspension work so poorly that I might as well been riding a 27 pound hardtail {NRS!}. I did have the pleasure of riding a team scalpel for 6 months, and there was'nt anything bad to say about that...
{but thats another story!}
The AZONIC was bought online from beyondbikes.com, for $699.00 and I elected to purchase a FOX float AVA shock as well.
After completing the build-up, I took the time to get the shock set-up, and started riding the bike. I have been very pleased with the performance of this design, it is very plush for only 80 mm travel, but yet feels very efficient at the same time. The shock does have lockout, but I prefer a design that does'nt rely on that for efficiency, and this frame has never needed to be locked out to climb or sprint well. My setup leans more toward cross country racing and riding, but the frame is built
well enough to be used for more of an all day trail bike or light free riding as well.
After riding this frame for 3 months or so, I am very happy with it, and glad I decided to go with the AZONIC.
I believe AZONIC has a winner here, and if they really advertised them, they would be more visible at the trail head. But for the time being, I will continue to ride and enjoy mine, and answer all the questions I get about it, as I have yet to encounter anyone else riding one.
As far as value goes, I feel this frame is easily worth suggested retail, and if you shop around, there are deals to be found. My overall satisfaction is as good as it gets too, I would buy another one if something happened to this one.
If your looking for a top quality frame, that is light enough to race and efficient enough that it can be
raced or ridden all day {24 hour race anyone?} This would be a good selection for you.
A big thanks to MTBR.com for doing a fantastic job, and to the guys who take the time to post reviews. I make alot of my purchases based on what I read here at this site, and I
have'nt been mislead yet!.

Favorite Trail:   Roman Nose State Park

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel, Giant NRS, Specialized FSRxc. Some older Proflex models.

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano XTR, {952 series} Fox float 80rl fork, Fox float AVA 80rl rear shock, Easton carbon bars, Easton seatpost and stem, Mavic CRossmax SL wheelset {V-brake},
GEAX Arrojo tires with Stan's, WTB Rocket V saddle. Sports Instruments H/R & computer.

Submitted by E Bisset from Cape Town, , South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    - Great handling: The geometry suits me perfectly. I can really throw the bike around with confidence. Tight corners, rock gardens etc. are a blast. Haven't had this much fun since skateboarding as a kid.
- Light weight. This frame is a lot lighter than I expected. For example, the bike is a full kg lighter than my hardtail (2004 Giant Yukon) and it's handling is in another league!
- Climbs beautifully. Of course, the light weight helps...
- Four-bar linkage rear suspension is great. Even though I'm using a shock without any SPV-style technology, there is little or no bob, regardless of shock settings. I have yet to use the lockout on my rear shock, there's just no need.
- Great price. I paid less for an entire bike (built to my own spec) than what many similar frames sell for.
- Looks great, very stylish.

Weaknesses:    So far, nothing to report. Only had it a short while so can't comment on it's durability yet, which is why I'm only giving it a 4-chilli rating for the time being. Will update my review a few weeks/months down the line.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full-suspension bike. I was looking for something that I could use for cross-country riding (6-10 hours/week), with plenty of single-track and a few nice jumps/drops along the way just for fun. So far this is the perfect tool for the job. I'm getting faster on the downhill sections every day, as I gain confidence in the bike.

Bottom line is, this bike handles superbly and offers fantastic value for money. Sure, there are bikes with more travel and there are bikes that weigh less, but you can only have one or the other. This frame is a great all-round performer and it offers the best value for money I've found. I'm glad I didn't waste money by buying anything else, specially for my first full-suspension bike.

Having compared the various frames on the market, I believe that this frame is under-priced. If it was more effectively marketed, people would pay a lot more for it. Buy one now, before they catch on.

Incidentally, the bike is branded as the Xtension X-pilot here in SA. I bought mine at Action Cycling in Tokai, Cape Town. Thanks to the guys there for putting up with my uhm'ing and ah'ing - I really wasn't sure what I wanted so I spent a lot of time picking their brains and getting information from them. They pretty much built the bike up entirely to my spec.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai forest

Purchased At:   Action Cycling, Tokai

Similar Products Used:   This is the first full suspension bike I've owned, but I've tried out a Cannondale Jeckyl (nice, but difficult to justify the price), Giant NRS and the usual bunch of hardtails from Giant, Scott, GT, etc.

Bike Setup:   X-Fusion 02-RC shock, 2005 Manitou Axel Super fork, SRAM X-7 shifters and rear derailler, Deore front derailler(for now..), Avid v-brakes(very nice!), ClubRoost bar & stem etc., WTB Velocoraptor tyres.

Submitted by Mark Louis a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland Oh Usa

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2004

Strengths:    Frame geometry is closest to my old favorite 92 Stumpy, quick! The Romic feels bottomless, the sealed bearing pivots are solid, the bike runs quiet. The welds look
good, the CNC work is well done. Plenty of support for the head tube. Rear triangle is very rigid, no deflection standing on the pedals. Good cable routing, plus can be run with v-brakes or disk.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat fragile clearcoat, cable rub goes through it fast.
Uncommon seatpost size.

Bottom Line:
This year I built up 3 bikes to replace my trusty 5 year old K2.
I bought the Azonic on E-bay new as a complete bike, and rebuilt it. The other 2 were the Ellsworth Joker XC, and the Specialized S-works Enduro.

I ride the Propulsion the most, I love the quick handling,
quiet running plush Propulsion. The Romic shock is bomber plush, a good match for the Marz. There is pedal bob, but it doesn't detract from the ride.

In comparison, the S-works is not as plush unless it's running at 5" travel. So, I put a 5" Z1 on it for rougher terrain. A better bike for downhill than the Azonic.

The Ellsworth has a much higher bottom bracket, and higher center of gravity. Even plusher than the Propulsion when set up with a Rock Shox 100mm Duke SL , but a lot of deflection in the rear triangle.
My wife loves it, so it's hers now.

The bottom line, the fit and finish is first rate on the Propulsion, one of the best bikes I've had in 30 years of riding.

Favorite Trail:   pontiac lake

Similar Products Used:   K2 4000, Specialized S-works Enduro, Ellsworth Joker XC

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Atom bomb polished fork, LX hubset with red Sun Rhinolite rims, red Titec Hellbents cut down to 23", red FSA crankset, XT deraillers, spd pedals, Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires, XT v-brakes.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Price, slack seat tube angle, beefy rear triangle with detailed machining, bearings on all pivot points.

Weaknesses:    Not a lot of information on this frame, even from Azonic's website. Only comes in polished aluminum, but looks cool anyways.

Bottom Line:
This is my first FS bike so I dont have a lot to compare it to. All I can say is this bike is super fun to ride. It handles better than any bike I've ever ridden. It bombs downhill and over rough stuff with no problem even for only 3.5" rear travel. The rear triangle is tight and feels like it can handle anything. Being a full suspension bike, I was concerned about extra weight, extra maintanence and that it wouldnt climb as well as a hardtail. But I didnt even notice the extra weight and it climbs just as well as my old Fisher. It looks over-built for a XC bike so I doubt maintainance will be an issue. Not to mention the unbeleivable price, you can get these at Pricepoint for $600. Thats about half the price of the boutique brand frames. I was able to buy a new suspension fork and crankset with the frame for less than the price of most high end FS frames alone. If your on a budget, and want a high quality FS frame, this is the way to go.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com