Yeti Cycles ARC XC Hardtail

4.53/5 (19 Reviews)
Weight : 3.45 lbs MSRP : $748.99

If one bike epitomizes ?back-in-the-day? it is the Yeti ARC. Originally a joint project in the early nineties with Easton to create the lightest hard tail on the market, the ARC has set the standard for hard tail performance. Trademark Yeti loop stays, optimized Yeti Pure tubing and a perfect race geometry make this the hard tail choice for many top racers. Features: -Custom butted 7005 alloy -Distinctive loop stays and vertical compliance for a more comfortable ride -Ultimate racing geometry

Submitted by Joeri a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2013

Strengths:    Light for aluminium, awesome geometrie. Good climber and descender. Looks very nice, because it's a Yeti... :)

Weaknesses:    Paint quality

Bottom Line:
Everything about this frame is right. Nice geometrie. Building it up with the right components, this frame kicks ass. In descents and climbs, it is amazing. I do ride it about 2 years now, but I can't miss it anymore. I'm still so much in love with the colors of the 2012 model. Since the early days I always dreamed of having a ARC. I really liked the yellow turquoise color, but some later colors not. When I was looking for a new mtb, I almost bought another Cannondale, but had to wait more than a month. The ARC frame was in stock in a UK shop and this color looked so nice. I couldn't think clear anymore. Cancelled the Cannondale and just bought the frame, after that parts to build it up... And I got an ARC... :)

I use the ARC for all types of riding (except for road racing I use my roadbike)... First had a 100mm RS SID, but for my all mountain holiday in the Alpes I did put in a Fox RLC 120mm... That worked very well and I still ride the ARC with the 120mm Fox RLC. I think it rides better with a 100mm fork for all purpose use, still I don't find too much problems with 120mm. But it does descent so much faster with it.

Favorite Trail:   Belgium Ardennes, Italian, Swiss and Austrian Alpes

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   http://www.freeflowb

Similar Products Used:   Giant Escaper 1994 with RS Mag 21 (stolen), Cannondale F800SL 1998 with Manitou R7 (still owned)

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano XT 2011, Fox RLC 120mm (did use Rock Shox SID RLT 100mm). DT Swiss Tricon XM1550...

Submitted by Punch

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2013

Strengths:    Responsive, relatively lightweight, nice design

Weaknesses:    none for a alum frame

Bottom Line:
I've been riding my yeti arc for 2 years now. Can't think of a better hard tail, its geometry and overall design is fast. The rear absorbs vibrations and hits really well. I only wish that they made a carbon version.

Submitted by Dylan W.

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, fork, weight, durability, shifting, handling, short chainstay, brakes, simplicity

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
This bike jumps, rips, shreds, races, and is just awesome. It is super light, stays on its line, and just overall shreds. the fork is super plush, yet efficient. 100 mm is really all you need. This bike can withstand huge hits because it all of the hit goes into the fork. The bike is such a great climber too. I wouldn't get this bike if you are a starter either. Its for racing and aggressive trail riding. Don't mind the bad reviews they are all from Beginners that got the wrong bike. You need to have experience to get the best of this bike. "Clicking and clacking" won't happen as long as you have a chain stay guard, and still it is normal and won't harm the bike. I definitely recommend this bike to racers (not necessarily pros). Now go shred!

Submitted by John Northernly

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2013

Strengths:    Reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    I felt like when I was riding this it was clicking an clanking a lot. The shifting was very rough and rugged. I felt like I was riding a very heavy bike when I was supposed to be light and built for climbing. On the decent the front fork felt rigid and very jerky.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't recommend this bike it has a lot of issues in my opinion and I would spend the extra money to get a better bike.

Submitted by anth

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    the handling of the bike and the ability to switch lines easily is great
so is the softness of the rear triangle which means you dont feel beat up after riding
xt groupset is great no issues there.
.. you point...you pedal.. it goes...really goes... its very responsive.

Weaknesses:    be careful with sizing, stems, and bars, you really have to get them right on this bike to get the most out of it, its an old school xc bike so the geo is a bit more agressive, not always the best for long days riding or rough downhills.

Bottom Line:
if this is your first bike, get somehting cheaper to learn on and thrash around, if you have been riding for some time and looking for an upgrade you will appreciate the great handling and responsiveness of bike

Submitted by Andrew Curtis-Cody a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2012

Strengths:    Well finished, good handling, stable on steep descents, as comfortable as hardtails get.

Weaknesses:    None as yet.

Bottom Line:
Bought this to replace my Kona Kula Delux that, after 8 years, developed a terminal crack in the frame. Purchased for NZ$1150.00 from Blackseal, Yeti importer based in Dunedin. The Arc feels stiffer around the B/B and chain stays. Nicely finished with B/B, head tube and disc mounts already faced. On paper the Arc has steeper head angle than the Kona but doesn't feel like it's steeper when riding. Handling is very tight and whippy but feels stable on steep descents (more so than Kona). I'm around 5' 9" and the small frame (17") feels a perfect fit. I've got an XY lay back post plus 90mm stem and this feels like a good combo. Weight is a tad over 23lbs. Plan to swap out XT shifters and front mech' for XTR. Otherwise setup feels really good and seems to compliment the frame.

Purchased At:   Blackseal

Similar Products Used:   Cotic Soul, Kona Kula Delux

Bike Setup:   Fox F100RL, 717/DTcomp/ProII, Formula Oro, RF Deus XC, XT shifters F/D & R/D, RF Next bar & XY post, Thompson stem, Charge Spoon, XTR trail pedals

Submitted by Leif a Racer from Casper, Wy

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased my Yeti in 2008. This bike has held up to years of intense training rides, 24 hour races, 30+ mile races, and multiple family vacations. The bike is bullet proof and wish it would crack so I could purchase a NEW ARC. I am 6' 4", #166. It is by far the most comfortable ride out there. It is truly a piece of art. Make no mistake, if you LOVE to ride and LOVE being on your bike, go with "the turquoise". The Geometry fits me perfect (no more sore backs, hands, and neck), and best of all the rear triangle is what makes the bike soft enough to cushion the back, but has the strength enough to make you feel unworthy. Its funny how new, top end, hard-tails have the same rear triangle design that Yeti has made for 20+ years on their aluminum bike. This is proof enough why Yeti is much more superior than the others. Yeti has fine tuned this design and know how effective it is. Less welds make the rear triangle perfect. The biking gods are very happy with Yeti :)

Weaknesses:    Frame won't break, bombproof!!

Bottom Line:
If you love the simplicity of just riding a bike, don't waste your time or money, "go with the turquoise". If your not sold by Yeti's reputation and good looks, take it for a ride around the neighborhood and you'll then be sold on the Yeti ARC.
Hope this review breaks the tie between Yeti and others that try to mimic. Most of all "Keep your wheels spinning true and live long and prosper on your bike" :)

Favorite Trail:   Mueller Park through Mormon Flatss

Purchased At:   Go Ride Bikes SLC

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares to a Yeti ARC. Many try to mimic what Yeti has done, but none have the reputation, and ride like Yeti. Copy Cats suck. Much like Dopers

Bike Setup:   Control Tech, King headset, for the cock pit. XT drive-train, Avid brakes, Rock Shox Reba, Mavic 819 Tubeless, Sella Italia, Maxxis UST.

Submitted by icyi65 a Weekend Warrior from tel aviv

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2012

Strengths:    very lite, very very fast and agile

Weaknesses:    non i found so far

Bottom Line:
i'm an all mountain rider and purchased this bike for training and XC racing, ride it also on single track and semi rough terrain.
very very fast agile responsive. Sometimes I enjoy the ride even more than on my all moutain bike.
i have not yet had any technical issues with the frame.
i have 2 friends who have similar bikes and one of them is a semi proffessional rider and both love the bikes.

Similar Products Used:   non

Bike Setup:   SRAM 7 front deraillure, x9 back

Submitted by Stratton001 a Cross Country Rider from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Everything. Light, strong, excellent geometry, great climber and fast.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! Its light, fast, corners on rails, climbs like a goat and most importantly - fun to ride! Get'cha some! I love Yeti!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Murfreesboro Outdoor

Similar Products Used:   ASR-5

Bike Setup:   All XT shifters, derails, brakes, CB Candies, Fox RLC 100 w Kashima, Easton Carbon handlebars, Chris Kings, ZTR Arch, Max Igns fnt and Stans Raven rear

Submitted by hectormz a Cross Country Rider from mexico

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2010

Strengths:    love the handling (the geometry is great very lightweight) especially in technical sections.. maybe slightly overused all mountain type of riding at times

Weaknesses:    it cracked in the loopstay drve side, the part where a metal plaque (attached to the hanger) is welded onto the curvey tube... couldve been a hit to the Rderailleur cuz i found the derailleur hanger slighly bent. had the hanger busted off maybe wouldve saved the arcs arse

Bottom Line:
will now use Yeti Arc it for light plain and simple xcountry . getting a new iron horse mkiii comp supposedly an 09 model for 1400 usdollar from chainreactions uk !!!

Similar Products Used:   sPECIALIZED rockhopper

Bike Setup:   azonic polished handlebar, raceface dibolus polished stem, red magura marta brakes, race face deus cranks in red, 823 mavic wheelset c king panaracer, sram xo and x9, troy lee saddle from selle italia

Submitted by yeti4ever a Weekend Warrior from the Lone Star State

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    Kick butt geometry; extremely light frame; sexy Yeti paint scheme!; stiff but not harsh like other aluminum frames (you don't get the beat-up feeling after a ride);

Weaknesses:    Wish that YETI brings back powder-coating for their paint jobs

Bottom Line:
I always wanted an ARC since the first ARCs came out in the early 90's. But basically didn't go for it as the tubing was like a beer can (although YETI was really pushing the envelope to be the lighest and durable aluminum frame.) Fast forward 15+ years later, I moved back to the States just recently, bought a stump, but hated the geometry (very sluggish!) So, the thoughts of getting an ARC pop into my mind... the rest is history.

For the ARC, this is the best handling bike that I have ever owned or test ridden (I was a bike mechanic in my previous life.) You point it where to go, it goes! Very light frame, yet the tubing is quite solid (no beer can tubing here.) Great climber, and is best in tight technical singletrack. This bike is freaking fast! Bottom line, the geometry just kicks butt, beautiful craftsmanship, stiff but forgiving, excellent top tube length. The best I can say though is that it can "move" laterally! What I mean is the geometry is so spot on, that I can switch lines in a heartbeat! The only bad thing I can think of is maybe the paint that they use for their frames. It is not the best, it chips off. PLS BRING POWDERCOATING BACK!

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper M5(2007) , fisher supercaliber (1992-1994)

Bike Setup:   xtr transmission, fox shox 100mm, avid juicy 5 disc brakes, dt 240s hubs, dt 4.20 rims, thomson setback seatpost, thomson 90mm stem, richey wcs carbon handlebar, specialized dirtrodz bar ends (circa 1993); selle italia flite (the 1st generation!); xtr pedals/cranks

Submitted by m2fit4u2 a Weekend Warrior from Clinton Twp Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Everything, I LOVE this bike

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This bike does everything, I cross country it, put road tires on it and do wine tours, and it really shines on downhills. This bike seems to be balanced perfect. Also here in Michigan, no matter where I ride I can almost guarantee that I will not see another Yeti, this adds to the "ahh" factor when people question me about my ride.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Giant, Barracuda

Bike Setup:   ARC frame, Fox RL 100 fork, XT/XTR components

Submitted by Danny Teo a Cross Country Rider from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Great acceleration. Perfect geometry. Great climbing machine.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden a GT avalanche and Merida TFS100, none of them climb or control like a Yeti. Suggest that you try one first before you buy others.

Purchased At:   KSH TTDI

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche, merida TFS 100-D hardtails.

Bike Setup:   RS SID 09, Crossride wheelset, XT groupset, Thomson stem and seatpost, Easton handlebar, WTB Saddle, ODI Yeti Lock-On Grip, Panaracer XC Pro tyres and etc.

Submitted by ovdoorn a Cross Country Rider from Huizen

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Great geometry, handles very well. Stiff but not as harsh/hard like most alloy frames. Both Disk and V-brake compatible. Super looks and it is a Yeti!

Weaknesses:    The inner bottom bracket is not well finished at my frame, some alloy "wires" left probably after threading.

Bottom Line:
Great frame/bike at a decent price, super handling and smooth ride. Super looks and Yeti character!

Favorite Trail:   lage Vuursche

Purchased At:   Webshop

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Kona, Commencal, Rocky Mountain.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC frameset (2008), RST First Platinum, SRAM XO/X9, XT cranks, Mavic CrossMax, Kore seatpost and stem, SDG sadle, Ritchey WCS bar, Magura HS33 EVO2, Crankbrothers Eggbeater Ti.

Submitted by BLURPILOT a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    stable and precise handing, stiff, lightweight, excellent pedaling platform (fast acceleration), excellent finish/workmanship, and the great turquoise/white team colors. 2009 frame is disc specific so doesn't have V-brake towers on seatstays. Yeti signature looped stays. This bike fits me like a glove and I could ride it all day.

Bottom Line:
The best racing hardtail ever.