Woodstock Bikes 505 XC Hardtail

4.71/5 (42 Reviews)

Sizes: 15.5", 17.5", & 19"
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Cassette: SRAM PG950, 11–34T, 9 speed
Crankset: Truvativ Blaze 3.0, 9 speed
Chain: SRAM PC-951
Chainwheel: 42/32/22
Fork: Manitou Axel Elite FFD (Fluid Flow Damping) w/100mm Travel, Upgraded with Firm Spring & Lockout
Frame: Diamond Double-Butted 6061 Alloy (YM801-1)br> Front Brake: Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore Top Swing
Seatpost: Truvativ XR Single Bolt
Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
Stem: Truvativ XR
Spokes: 14G Stainless Steel Black
Tires: WTB Weirwolf 26" x 2.1"

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    Very affordable

Weaknesses:    Largest frame available is 19"

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 19" 505 frame hoping that it would be big enough for my 6'3" (with relatively long legs), but it just wasn't. I added a 400mm seat post (it comes with 350mm) and a handlebar with 2+" rise (as opposed to 1" stock) but still felt too small. Jimmy and Libby at Woodstock Bikes were totally cool with my returning it for a full refund within 30-days. No need to worry about getting screwed with this mailorder bike as the Woodstock folks are looking out for you. If you're a normal sized rider and want a very affordable hardtail, check out the Woodstock 505!

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Churchville, PA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    - components / value
- support

Weaknesses:    - pedals
- adjustments

Bottom Line:
The bike is a fantastic value for the price. The frame is strong and overall the bike is comfortable.

Bike is easy to maintain and keep in top form, if you are familiar with a few basic adjustments (LBS can easily fill in, or call Woodstock support). Swapped out the pedals almost immediately with hybrid clipless/platform (maybe Woodstock can use this suggestion for future). With the longer frame the bike does climb really well, and it can move on the flat/pavement, but things can get a little ‘tight’ on twisty hiking paths, on sharper drop-offs … the rush that you’re ‘going over’ the handle bars is always there, and the on sharp climbs the ass-end tends to slip if you don’t keep your weight well over the back. Unclipping and using the platform side of pedals helps with all of these situations.

Can’t say enough about the SRAM X7 rear and Shimano front system – adjustment is straightforward and easy to keep in perfect working condition. I have damaged cables and had to replace, and once took a stick on a sharp climb that went right through the rear shifter (actually tore the aluminum hanger). Woodstock sent a new hanger in no time … I manually bent back into place one of the frame arms of the SRAM derailleur (I was ready to upgrade to an X9, but figured I give it a second chance), readjusted the whole system – back to perfect shifting in a few days time. The shifting system, once adjusted tends to stay put, which is unusual for NE-US (warm, hot, humid, cold, dry).
I used to remove front wheel a lot for transport and would get some disc/rotor rubbing. Best remedy is to loosen the mountings on the fork and realign body of brakes with rotor. Now that the bike has settled in a bit, this step is not necessary. The Avid discs have good stopping power when soaking wet or full of mud.

The bike is a tank. Little heavy, but gives impression it will last a long time. If $600-$1000 is target price range I would very much recommend this bike. If you’re looking for more really high performance mountain riding - pay for really high performance. It’s a unique bike and a conversation starter. The support at Woodstock is top notch. Performance under a variety of conditions is quite good. I’ve beat it up a little, and with a little care it looks and performs like I bought it at a local shop, wash it after every ride and take it in for a tune-up every year .

Favorite Trail:   Tyler S.P. horse trails, Pennypack (not the paved trails), Wissahickon

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent quality and construction. Instructions for minimal setup were very clear and plenty of support available if needed.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful experience. I could not find another bike in this price range that came close to the quality of components. I'm thankful that I found Woodstock Bikes before I settled for a lower quality bike from my LBS. I don't ride enough to justify the $1,000+ price tag I was looking at for a bike with decent components that I was finding elsewehere.

Favorite Trail:   VASA Single Track - TC, Mi.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Older DiamondBack Accent

Submitted by Kerry Herr a Weekend Warrior from Williamsburg, VA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Great customer service and a very well built bike that you won't see 10 other riding on the trail.

Weaknesses:    None really. Wish they had some LOGO Shirts for us to wear proudly :)

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the money. I check out the LBS and none could match the quality/$ of the 505. If you want the big brand name go to your LBS and get your bike there.

If you want a great bike that will last and perform better then the same $$$ LBS, get a WB-505.

FYI, I still support my LBS when possible with parts and service.

Favorite Trail:   Freedom Park

Purchased At:   woodstockbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Own - Mid 90's Cannondale
Reviewed against Trek, Cannondale, GF

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Fargo, ND

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    Components, Customer Service

Weaknesses:    None so far...did bend the rotor on the rear disc brake, but that was my fault

Bottom Line:
I was lookin for a new mountain bike and wanted something that could take the abuse of my riding style. I first ordered the 19" frame but upon arrival and a few rides I realized it was too big. So I called up Libby at Woodstock and she said I could send it back for and exchange it for a 17.5" no questions asked. A week and a half later I was out riding on my new bike! Since then I've been taking it out and hitting dirt jumps, riding trails, and commuting to work on it and there are no major problems to speak of yet. I did have a minor problem with accuracy of the shifter so I emailed Mark at Tech. Support for Woodstock and he quickly emailed me back with quick fix...which actually worked!

Overall, the best bike I've ever had and I will recommend it to anyone in the $400-$1000 price range of mountain bike.

Purchased At:   woodstockbikes.com

Submitted by Avinash Ramana a Cross Country Rider from New Haven,CT

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
Check out my Woodstock Review and journal at http://www.technolitter.com/category/mtb/

A direct link is http://www.technolitter.com/2007/08/14/woodstock-505-review/

Favorite Trail:   West Rock

Purchased At:   Woodstock Bikes.com

Bike Setup:   Woody 505, Egg SLs, SID Team fork, Avid BBDB

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Price, Support, Value.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Being new to the sport I purchased this bike a few months back based mostly on many of the reviews here and it has not disappointed. The initial setup took about a half hour with the brakes taking the most time to get correct. The rear hanger broke on my first ride out, but was replaced in a few days after a phone call to their support number. I have been riding with several friends who have been in the sport for many years. They were all very impressed with the component set and price of the bike and have since recommended it to many other people. I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking into getting into the sport looking to spend $500-$1000. To those of you who think that many of the posts are written by only a few people, I cannot discredit your theory, however it may have something to do with the company asking its buyers to post a review on MTBR after a purchase has been made. Being only an online company and not having a huge advertising budget/campaign, the most influential and cheapest way to advertise is word of mouth. Maybe if larger companies like Cannondale and Specialized were able to take some more time to talk with their customers they may have a larger number of reviews on their products. BTW I have nothing against the larger companies as I do own a Trek and a Cannondale.

Favorite Trail:   Fells

Purchased At:   Woodstock.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Piranha

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock. Upgraded pedals.

Submitted by Eric Olson a Weekend Warrior from Allentown, PA USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike! Very similar components to the Cannondale Caffeine 3 I test rode at my local bike shop. Incredible Value. 400$ less. Great Customer service!

Weaknesses:    They only make up to a 19" frame.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'3" with a very long inseam and tried the 19" 505. Unfortunately, It was a bit small for me. I hated to send it back, because it was such a sweet bike but I had to. They dont currently make a larger frame. The people at Woodstock were really cool about taking it back and have promised a full refund as they say in their "30-day Satisfaction Guarantee". They even answered my call on a Sunday afternoon which was great as my weekdays are jam packed!
That all said, they are a great little company and I would recommend their product and their customer service to anyone based on my experience. In fact i already have.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Avinash Ramana a Weekend Warrior from New Haven,CT USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Price
Excellent components hung on a nice looking frame
Good customer service
Tools are included :-D

Weaknesses:    Brakes are a PITA

Bottom Line:
When I got the Woodstock 505 I was excited until I realized the derailleur was all out of tune because my RD hangar was bent. Emailed Libby and I got a new one in 4 days (weekend really prolonged that).

Brakes are damn near impossible to tune and my derailleur took me awhile because I sucked at tuning it and thought it sounded noisy. I also called Mark at Woodstock and my RD Cage was bent (shipping sucks).

After all this, it ended up being a great bike and it climbs very well. The fork is kinda sucky but with the money saved, it won't be too bad to get a new one. The Avid BB5 brakes were pieces of garbage. If you biff this bike AT ALL, the brakes will come out of alignment and you'll hear them from miles away. I'd prefer the BB7s, but again..the money saved can pay for this..

Bike is comfortable and all other good stuff..GREAT BUY!

-Avi

Favorite Trail:   Branford Supply

Similar Products Used:   GF Tass

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Shoreline, Washington

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Set up a breeze. Took about twenty minutes. Had a minor front brake issue due to shipping. Good components overall. Most bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Front shock. Sorry to say I will be swapping this one out. A little to week for moutain riding. Thats about it. So far bike has performed well under considerable stress.

Bottom Line:
Great ride so far. Durable and reliable. Swap out the front fork and you have yourself a winner of an all around bike.

Favorite Trail:   all the cascades

Purchased At:   web

Similar Products Used:   Rock Hopper Comp disc. Kona Hoss.

Bike Setup:   factory.

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Bethesda, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent components, good build quality, excellent after-sale support.

Weaknesses:    Seat was not comfortable to me, replaced it with a big old road sofa [smile].

Bottom Line:
Libby, Jim, and Mark gave me great support when trouble arose. I blew out the rear tire and cracked the rear rim the first day, I think the tube was pinched during manufacturing assembly. They apologized profusely and immediately overnighted a new wheel/tire assembly at their expense. Sometimes things just go wrong. The mark of a great company is that they take care of you when things do go wrong. Woodstock Bikes did everything possible to ensure that I was back up and running as quickly as possible. Bravo!

I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great bike at a great price and sold by a great company.

Purchased At:   Woodstock Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT Talera, old-school hard frame.

Bike Setup:   I changed out the seat, the tires, and the handlebar stem to promote a mor upright riding position and improve comfort. I'm riding the bike on the road and paved trails, so I've optimized it for that.

Submitted by Alex R. a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    - great price for the features and high quality components it offers
- reliable components (no damage or fallen chain even after a wipeout)
- very responsive and accommodating customer support (best I've ever seen)
- comfortable and adept on virtually any mountain trail

Weaknesses:    - mediocre front fork
- a little on the heavy side
- relatively obscure (don't let this scare you away)

Bottom Line:
The 2007 Woodstock 505 is a modestly priced mountain bike with impressive quality evident throughout. Many bikes priced several hundred dollars above it are with almost identical components and no better quality.

While for the most experienced and ambitious mountain bikers, a $1000+ bike may be the best choice, for the occasional mountain biker and price conscious consumer, the Woodstock is a much better deal. Moreover, this isn't a bike you are likely to outgrow anytime soon. It can capably handle any trail. I've certainly had a lot of fun even on advanced trails.

Thus, if you are looking for a high quality bike at a value price under $1000; the 2007 Woodstock 505 comes with my full recommendation.

BTW: Don't let the assembly turn you away. You can always call or e-mail Woodstock for help and their instructions have recently been improved a lot. If that's still not enough, it can always be built at a bike shop for 50-75 dollars.

Favorite Trail:   Coyote Hills

Similar Products Used:   $150 toy store bike

Bike Setup:   2007 Woodstock 505 19"

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Greenwood, IN

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    Great value. Really great customer service. Awesome ride.

Weaknesses:    Shocks aren't the greatest but they're decent. Can't seem to get disc brake tuned just right.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for weekend trail riding after riding a cheapo for the last year.

The thing I liked most about this bike (besides the really really good price) was how well it shifts. Once I got the hang of the SRAM trigger shifter I find myself shifting way more than before because its so easy to shift and so accurate, even when climbing.

My front brake disc was damaged when the bike arrived at my house so I called Woodstock and Libby said she could either send a new one that day or I could buy one and get reimbursed. I decided to get reimbursed which was the wrong choice because the guy at the LBS said he had a disc when he didn't, so I ended up waiting for him to order one anyway.

Reading the other reviews it sounds like most others had well-tuned bikes out of the box. My front brake disc always seems to rub a tiny bit even after taking it to the LBS for a $40 tuneup. While it was there the owner guessed the value of the bike at around $1000-$1200 so there's no doubt that this bike is an incredible value.

I will say the brakes work extremely well, though. No squeaking and big time stopping power. My friend has a $1000 Giant and his disc brakes squeak like crazy all the time, drives us nuts.

He wishes he would have bought a Woodstock! :) I'm glad I did!

Jimmy (the owner) tells me that he has a full-suspension version coming out in 2007 as well as a new 505 so that should be interesting. I might have to trade in my 505 for the full-suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County State Park

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame (more toward the agressive side of position, which I like. Great component package. Customer service and communication from Woodstock was top notch. Bike came fast, packaged good, assembled easyly and has held up like a champ. This is a great bike!

Weaknesses:    I heated up my front brake and glazed the pad, but $20 later it was working fine again. Other than that I have had zero problems with this bike.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to give this bike a good run before posting a review. The bike showed up and I was out riding in about 1/2 hour. Everything worked perfectly. The frame is great quality and of course all the components are top quality as you can see on the website. I would describe my use of the bike and bordering on abuse and the bike has held up wonderfully. I ride this bike about 20-25 each night after work on trails. It is always ready to go. This bike is such a great value. I am happy to say that I have no complaints with this bike. If this one got stolen or something I would buy another just like it in a second. For a hardtail bike in this price range, you won't find anything better. 5 Flamin' Chili's all around.

Submitted by Croy a Weekend Warrior from Newtown, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    The only issue with the bike I've had thus far has been with the fork and the pedals. I found that the fork leaked air and became very soft, but woodstock had already solved this problem by including a replacment spring, which once installed (incredibally simple)fixed the issue completly. The issue I've had with the pedals has been after banging them rather hard the spring has come out, requiring several irritating minutes to repair, but after tightening the pedal this problem was also removed.

Bottom Line:
Overall the bike is terriffic. Setup was quick and easy out of the box, and didn't take more than 30 minutes. The only somewhat difficult part of assembly was the calibration of the disk brakes. My issue was compounded by the fact that the front one was rather warped, yet woodstock sent me another free of charge, so a pat on the back to their service. Once I had the brakes calibrated it was time to ride it. The bike rides really well, and I can keep up and do the same stuff as my friend on his 1200$ bike. So the 505 is a great bang for the buck. This bike has made me get serious about biking, I went from riding maybe once or twice a month to everyday after school. So, I would undoubtably reccomend the bike to anyone looking to get serious about the sport.