VooDoo Wanga XC Hardtail

4.33/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 4.3 lbs MSRP : $650.00

The geared version Wanga for the epic-minded, it's built with abuse-loving Reynolds 631 tubing. Reynolds 631 heat-treated cro-mo 3 main tubes, heat-treated stays.

Submitted by Adam Jones

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, beautiful color, lightweight, great ride, sliding drop outs are AWESOME!!!

Weaknesses:    I swear the paint is made out of butter, or maybe something even softer. A stern look chips it.

Bottom Line:
This is a beautifully built frame. The geometry takes some getting used to. It didn't inspire much confidence at first, but once you get accustomed to it you realize that this thing is planted well and handles predictably. I am planning to add a layer of clear coat to it to try and preserve the paint a bit more. It would've gotten five chili's from me if the paint was a bit tougher.

Bike Setup:   Single speed (32:16), Avid BB7's, Rock shock psylo (recycled) Easton XC One Wheelset, Bontrager Race Crank...

Submitted by Harley a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Sliding dropouts allows for good geared or single speed use as well as allows you to dial in how you want the handling (make the back end long if you do a lot of climbing, make it short if you want quick handling), Reynolds 631 makes for a fairly light steel frame, geometry feels VERY stable on fast, curvy singletrack, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips when you just look at it the wrong way

Bottom Line:
Built this up with a somewhat stiff 100mm suspension fork that has about 480mm A-C when unsagged, 1x9 speed with microshift rear derailleur, bash guard, XT cassette and chain, and Avid bb7 brakes. There is room for 26x2.35 tires with about 5mm clearance between the tire and chainstays. Weighs in around 26-28 pounds. Handles AWESOME, super fun to ride. Great, classic steel MTB look. Paint looks really nice when new, but you barely touch it and it chips. Not a huge deal, as this bike is for riding and not for show.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by pushstart a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    sliding drops allow SS use w/o tensioners, light weight, good price

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily, sliding drops tend to slide

Bottom Line:
This isn't a bad frame. I bought it without riding it (hard to find Voodoo dealers) but learned to really appreciate the steep/fast geometry for our local XC trails. I like steel frames; I won't claim that any special zen properties, but there's a sense of solidity there. And this frame is pretty light too (but that has a downside, as it turns out).

The main issues I had with the frame were the sliding drops. I had a tough time getting them to stop sliding; I filed texture into the washers, and brushed off the paint from the contact area on the frame. Ultimately, they only stopped sliding after a year or so when the frame started rusting in the contact areas. Customer service (by email) was very unhelpful. Even when the drops no longer slid around, the vertical part of the drop was angled slightly such that my (bolt-on) rear hub would pull slightly out (and slacken chain) under hard pedaling.

The other issue is that the paint is really thin on these frames. In general, I would say (compared to my new Vassago Jabberwocky, for example, which cost significantly less) that the paint and painted-on (or under clearcoat?) decals look cheap on Voodoo frames. After a few years or riding, I had all sorts of chips in the paint. Some of them were self-inflicted; I drilled out the guides for the rear derailleur so I could run full-length housing, and rubbed the paint with spinning drill head. :)

The other day, I was cleaning the frame when I realized that it's actually cracked in the chainstay near the bottom bracket. A little googling suggests that this has happened to others with this frame. I'm not entirely sure how long it's been like that (not easy to see without removing crankset), but I'm fairly certain it's out of warranty now (4 years on), so I guess it's over.

While I enjoyed my bike, I don't think that in the end I will buy another Voodoo bike. My impression of other steel frames (Surly, Vassago, etc.) is much more positive than the Voodoo frames and I was really disappointed with the customer service the few times I tried to get some help on issues with the drops.

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche setup single-speed, Vassago Jabberwocky, have ridden other hard tails

Bike Setup:   Used primarily as single-speed, 100mm fork.

Submitted by capt.baljack a Cross Country Rider from flagstff

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Joe Murray approved. 631 steel. a real wild cat!

Weaknesses:    paint sux.

Bottom Line:
The best geard hardtail I've ever ridden. Joe is genius. Don't get me wrong, it aint no Capt. Balljack, but it's a hoot none the less.

Favorite Trail:   I can't say that here

Purchased At:   bti

Similar Products Used:   Redline monocog, Lynskey ridgeline, kona unit,

Bike Setup:   Sram X9, Rockshox reba 120 20mm thruaxel, noir carbon cranks, Hassufelt bars, BB7 brakes, thompson post and stem..

Submitted by Wanga a Weekend Warrior from Deep River, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great geometry and bomb-proof construction with a lively ride. Has the perfect fit for technical trail riding and XC.

Weaknesses:    The cable routing along the top tube at times claws at the legs when pulling off wicked technical sections.

Bottom Line:
This is a great frame for the money and is way the heck better than aluminum when riding a hardtail.

Some folks complained about the adjustable dropouts slipping, but I have never had a problem because I use Loctite thread-locker.

Favorite Trail:   Chatfield Hollow

Purchased At:   Unknown

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, GT Tequesta

Bike Setup:   XC/Trail/Marathon

Submitted by Cyclops a Weekend Warrior from Western Australia

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Beautiful finish, light, stiff yet responsive, geometry is just goddam beautiful! Steers by thought but stable through turns. Handcrafted by a superior being from another planet.

Weaknesses:    That pretty paint is as soft as butter

Bottom Line:
This frame is legendary. Fast light incredible handling, its a keeper, The Haro came closest to this without the finesse or livliness of this frame. No other hardtail in many years riding compares to this. If you get the chance buy one, I dont see how you could ever regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Marrinup

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails, giant, haro generic steel frames.

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed 09 Wanga frame, 09 RST first air (dont knock it till youve ridden it), deore crankset, Magura pro ft hub with Mavic 317, Cannondale fire rear with Velocity deep vee. Easton st post, Fizik seat, other stuff.

Submitted by Chrispybiker a Cross Country Rider from sydney

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    geometry

Weaknesses:    paint

Bottom Line:
lovely geometry, 'flows' very nicely. steel is real, and more compliant than aluminum.

very flexible gearing set up options.

Purchased At:   West End Cycles

Similar Products Used:   bianchi ibex, alu hardtails, yeti

Bike Setup:   fixie commuter WITH xtr brakes and surly flip flop hub

Submitted by mrmut a Cross Country Rider from Dugo Selo, Croatia, EU

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Strengths:    This is a smart frame. Joe Murray really did it great with this one.

Rear dropouts are CNCed, and the mechanism is really great - simple and precise. - You really can tune in your ride as it suits you which is definitely a great plus.

Riding this frame is like riding on rails, and it is miles more forgiving than aluminum ones. The feeling is similar to riding a domestic wildcat. It is nice and soft when you need it and it is wild and furious at demand. In comparison, riding an aluminum frame is like a riding something dead and numb.

If you have an opportunity, put a Fox Vanilla 100 RL or RLC on this frame. I am riding F32 100 RL which is great, tho nothing can compare to the plushness and sensitivity of the Fox Vanilla series forks. - Also, put a good brakes onto this frame, as it will ask you to go fast.

Also - I would say that this frame could accept even longer travel forks, maybe up to 120mm, tho I am not too sure about seat tube angle and BB height.

19" Wanga, without V-brakes holders and + seat tube clamp weights 2248 grams.

Weaknesses:    Just paint. - Chips of a bit easily, tho don't worry too much about this.

Bottom Line:
If you have an opportunity - go for it.

Great strength of this frame is that you can turn it into a single-speed later on, so yes, I would say that this frame is definitely a keeper.

What is very interesting about this frame is it's stability. The frame is unusually stable on trails.

Bottom line: RECOMMENDED.

Purchased At:   www.dsg.hr

Similar Products Used:   Orange P7 2005 model 19". I have ridden P7 frame / Fox Vanilla RLC for three years and they suited me well. I've gone to hell and back with this bake and they've stole it.

So, as I've wanted to try something different I've decided for Voodoo Wanga.

Compared to Orange P7, probably the best steel hardcore frames, I would say that Wanga is not too far away, if at all. The position is a bit more XC than on P7, tho the overall geometry is outstanding and very well thought out.

Bike Setup:   Wanga 19", Fox F32 100 RL

Submitted by ButchNZ a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2008

Strengths:    Really nice frame to ride. Easy to set up for singlespeed use. Relatively light weight. Looks neat, and there aren't many round (where I am anyway). Price!

Weaknesses:    Paint finish, whilst excellent looking, isn't very durable and chips easily. Sliding dropouts can slip under load, see below for details. Top tube cable routing.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It rides really well, great fun on twisty singletrack and climbs pretty damn good too. I've only run it singlespeed thus far, which was a piece of cake to set up with the paragon sliders, but it has got me climbing so well that I'm going to chuck some gears on it and use it in some XC races this season. One small problem that I've had with it running singlespeed is that the sliders can slip under load, but the easy fix for this was to get two small locknuts to put on the adjustment screws to prevent them from vibrating loose while riding.
Mine is the 08 version, made from Voodoo's in house "Black Magic" Cromoly steel blend, not the older reynolds tubing version, but even so the frame weighs in at around 4.5lbs, which is not bad all things considered. The construction of the frame is really nice, but the paint finish, while great looking, is a bit too easy to scratch. Things like the removable v-brake bosses are a nice touch, but I'm not a fan of the top tube cable routing.

The bottom line is, for $399, this was a fantastic bargain, and comparable to other hardtails twice it's price. I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Wakamarina

Bike Setup:   18" Wanga frame, Kore bars/stem/post, Kore XCD ust wheelset, 2.1 Maxxis Crossmarks, XT brakes, Truvativ Stylo team cranks, Singlespeed 32/16 drivetrain.

Submitted by cyrus macaigne a Weekend Warrior from paris, france

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    nice paint job, very good geometry, and first of all it is a good steel frame... so it soaks all small bumps, keeping me fresh

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
i do recommend this frame: it is a very nice looking frame, and the dropouts are very easy to use. once you have set the length (for singlespeed use), you can easily take your wheel off without changing the settings...
the geometry is perfect for agressive cross country: i only ride on technical trails.

Favorite Trail:   fontainebleau

Similar Products Used:   sunn revolt, sunn bimixx. i also own a yeti 575.

Bike Setup:   fox vanilla 125RL, singlespeed 16 - 32, hope mono mini 185/160mm brakes

Submitted by mark lynn a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Great singlespeed conversion, great looking quality frame, metal headbadge, removable brake bosses, attention to detail (Voodoo etching and Joe Murray logo's)

Weaknesses:    Paint job a little delicate. Would be nice if it came in a few more colours (Only orange and red).

Bottom Line:
The bike handles 125-130mm travel very very well, the frame angles are almost identical to the Cove Hummer. Great angles combined with swoopy backstays kick you down the trail no prob. This bike reignited my love for singletrack and is proof that titanium is not the holy grail ! Well, not for me anyway. Go back to steel man ! Its the real deal.

Favorite Trail:   Whites Level - Afan

Purchased At:   Sideways Cycles

Bike Setup:   Magura Phaon 90 - 130mm up front, XT/XTR.

Submitted by glen a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2005

Strengths:    Good looking frame, enjoy the ride considering the rigid setup I have, the chain tensioning setup (singlespeed configuration) is very nice and easy to adjust. I had no problems getting it setup properly and quickly the way that the dropouts are designed (and this was my first singlespeed build). And I have heard that is a common problem with singlespeed bikes.

Weaknesses:    Badge on the headtube came off at some point during my build, not sure when, but no others noted so far

Bottom Line:
Just got into singlespeed MTB's but I am really enjoying it. A 2:1 gear ratio seems so far like a good place to start for me on the relatively flat trails of coastal carolina. I really like the chain tensioning setup on the Wanga.

Favorite Trail:   Brig Trail/Airstation Trail

Purchased At:   various

Similar Products Used:   My first singlespeed, but I also ride a titus Racer-x and road bikes

Bike Setup:   Wanga frame, surly 1x1 fork, rhynolite rims w/ surly ss hubs, eno 16t freewheel, truvativ 33t ss crankset and Ti BB, fsa headset, ritchey stem, bars etc, deore/cane creek v-brakes and levers

1995 (ish) Voodoo Wanga Build

Hi! Recently built up this mid-nineties Joe Murray era frame for my wife as a Burley puller. I'm pretty happy with the way she looks and rides. It's super comfortable. Frame is paired with a similar era Spinner fork that was stock on a mid nineties Independent Fabrication. The frame was just ... Read More »

Voodoo Wanga or Bokor to 650B - Who has done it?

Curious who has tried this either on a Wanga, Bokor, or a Bizango and curious what the results were. I have a Wanga that I would like to try a set of 650Bs on. What kind of shock were you running? What were the pros and cons? Would love your experiences. Thanks in advance.Read More »

Voodoo Wanga

Post a picture of your voodoo wanga with its spec list Lets see whats out there:):)Read More »

Voodoo Wanga

Is the voodoo wanga paint clear coated or are the stickers easy to remove ? CheersRead More »

How wide of a tire can be run on VooDoo Wanga?

Picked up a Wanga frame (Reynolds 631 with sliding dropouts)...how wide of a tire can I run? It will be a 1 x10. Do you think Hans Dampf 2.35 on crossmax will fit in the back?Read More »