VooDoo Hoodoo XC Hardtail

Weight : 3.5 lbs MSRP : $250.00

The Hoodoo is a fantastic deal on a low priced, well made aluminum hardtail. Oversized, butted 7005 aluminum tubing. Sloping top tube, extended seat tube, vertical dropouts.

Submitted by darmtb a Cross Country Rider from Ireland

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Looks
Handling - stunning !!!!! :o)
Price

Weaknesses:    None, it's got removable V-brake bosses and disc brake tabs and even pannier tabs :o)
Not a fast/sharp climbing or accelerating bike compared to an aluminum frame, but it's very very good for a steel frame and on every other terrain it's brilliant ;o)

Bottom Line:
**This is a STEEL frame, not ALUMINUM as stated on the top of the page !!

I bought this as a replacement frame for an old Raleigh Dyantech TI/Steel that broke. I was going to for a Bokor ( AL Framed Voodoo) , but while chatting to a mate, I decided to go for the steel Hoodoo instead to get the comfortable buzz like my old broken Raleigh had.

I went for the 17" frame which looks a little small, as I 5"10 but the top tubes on Voodoo's are long.

This bike is a revelation !!
As comfortable on a very rocky trail like Derroura as my old Raleigh was, fantastic handling on the fast downhill bits and it's so so agile in tight corners :o)
It loves to be whipped up on jumps and leaned right over on banked corners, a joy to ride and definitely my favourite trail bike out of my collection !! ;o)

Not as fast/sharp climbing or accelerating bike compared to an aluminum frame, but it's very, very good for a steel frame and on every other terrain it's brilliant ;o)
If ( God forbid !) my Pace aluminum frame ever broke, I'd replace it with an AL framed Voodoo :o)

If you want a great comfortable all day trail bike, that will put a smile on your face every time you ride it, go for the Hoodoo :o)

So 5 flamin' Chill's because it was such a surprise and outstanding value.

Favorite Trail:   Derroura

Similar Products Used:   Scott Strike, Pace RC200

Bike Setup:   '03 Fox Talas RLC's, Hope Mono Mini discs, Mavic Crosstrail wheel set.
A mix of '08 LX shifters, rear mech and XT cassette and Scram 991 chain and old school steel ('93)46-36-26 Altus A10 chainset, XT Square taper BB and a STX RC front mech. Bizarrely, it all works faultlessly ;o) :o)

HooDoo Cup - Fairbanks Super D Race

We are putting on a Super D Race in Fairbanks on August 24th at the Ester Dome Single Track. Check out the poster for more information, see you there! [ATTACH=CONFIG]817226[/ATTACH]Read More »

Hoodoo 500 Aug 24-26, anyone want to help crew for a solo rider?

Hello to anyone looking to crew for an athlete. My name is Ilya, I'm 27 from San Diego and will be doing the SOLO division for this years race. This is my 2nd "ultra distance" event, I did the Double Ironman last october in Virginia. My crew at the moment is my girlfriend and my mom. There are a cou ... Read More »

Voodoo Hoodoo build thread

Chronicling my Voodoo Hoodoo build. Going to be my endurance racer next year. Plan on setting it up as a 1x9 Plan on getting a Origin Carbon fork for it. Got a carbon seatpost coming. Rims are bonty Rythem Comp. Going to run tubeless. Getting a nice red Cane Creek S8 headset. Cranks will be ... Read More »

Voodoo Hoodoo 1999

I found a guy in my area that selling a 99 model Voodoo Hoodoo complete bike for 200 i got him talked down 185 it has STX-RC components, Manitou Magnum fork and Avid V-Brakes, my question is that a good deal or not? its a steel frame. i was not sure if was a good or not so i am asking the pros for ... Read More »

hoodoo pass on saturday 8-13

I am going to ride hoodoo pass to goose lake and out goose creek if anyone wants to tag along. Good, high elevation backcountry ride. This is not a beginer ride but if anyone wants to hook up let me know. I will be running a shuttle so the ride will be a point to point. I will be camping at ... Read More »