VooDoo Hoodoo XC Hardtail

Weight : 3.5 lbs MSRP : $250.00

The Hoodoo is a fantastic deal on a low priced, well made aluminum hardtail. Oversized, butted 7005 aluminum tubing. Sloping top tube, extended seat tube, vertical dropouts.

Submitted by darmtb a Cross Country Rider from Ireland

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Looks
Handling - stunning !!!!! :o)
Price

Weaknesses:    None, it's got removable V-brake bosses and disc brake tabs and even pannier tabs :o)
Not a fast/sharp climbing or accelerating bike compared to an aluminum frame, but it's very very good for a steel frame and on every other terrain it's brilliant ;o)

Bottom Line:
**This is a STEEL frame, not ALUMINUM as stated on the top of the page !!

I bought this as a replacement frame for an old Raleigh Dyantech TI/Steel that broke. I was going to for a Bokor ( AL Framed Voodoo) , but while chatting to a mate, I decided to go for the steel Hoodoo instead to get the comfortable buzz like my old broken Raleigh had.

I went for the 17" frame which looks a little small, as I 5"10 but the top tubes on Voodoo's are long.

This bike is a revelation !!
As comfortable on a very rocky trail like Derroura as my old Raleigh was, fantastic handling on the fast downhill bits and it's so so agile in tight corners :o)
It loves to be whipped up on jumps and leaned right over on banked corners, a joy to ride and definitely my favourite trail bike out of my collection !! ;o)

Not as fast/sharp climbing or accelerating bike compared to an aluminum frame, but it's very, very good for a steel frame and on every other terrain it's brilliant ;o)
If ( God forbid !) my Pace aluminum frame ever broke, I'd replace it with an AL framed Voodoo :o)

If you want a great comfortable all day trail bike, that will put a smile on your face every time you ride it, go for the Hoodoo :o)

So 5 flamin' Chill's because it was such a surprise and outstanding value.

Favorite Trail:   Derroura

Similar Products Used:   Scott Strike, Pace RC200

Bike Setup:   '03 Fox Talas RLC's, Hope Mono Mini discs, Mavic Crosstrail wheel set.
A mix of '08 LX shifters, rear mech and XT cassette and Scram 991 chain and old school steel ('93)46-36-26 Altus A10 chainset, XT Square taper BB and a STX RC front mech. Bizarrely, it all works faultlessly ;o) :o)