VooDoo Bokor One XC Hardtail

4.27/5 (15 Reviews)

PerhapsThe most versatile 26" wheel frame in Voodoos lineup. Bokor features sliding dropouts, so its a snapTo ride geared or singlespeed, with no need for a seperateTensioner. Designed around a 100mmTravel fork, likeThe Fox F100. 7005-series aluminumTubing Frame accepts 1 1/8" headset, 27.2mm post, 68mm BB, and 31.8mm front derailleur 51mm IS mount for disc brakes Works with 26" wheels

Submitted by Espjamie a Weekend Warrior from Hampshire, UK.

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Great price for such a well specced bike (even at £680.00 from Halfords), Light, Agile, Good Looking, Fast.

Weaknesses:    Only available at Halfords!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Not been in the saddle for a few years and wasn't prepared to part with £1000 + for a good hardtail XC steed and to be honest didn't need to after trying this beauty out. I was fortunate to get mine from e-bay at a great price but would have been more than happy to pay the £680 retail cost! I have nothing personal against Halfords, it's just a shame the VooDoo range can't be purchased from your LBS where the service, advice and general banter is far better. I had my Bokor set up by my LBS who happen to be a Specialized dealer and the guy's there reckon that for the money these are fantastic bikes, the only negative that I was given was that the brakes were probably it's weak link, saying that, they are far better than I ever expected but will change them once a good British winter has trashed the **** out of them!!! (Hope M4's me thinks????). The whole package works perfectly, once you get the forks set up with the correct air pressure the front end is easily controlled especially with the Maxxis High Roller up front. You don't need me to explain how good the Shimano Alivio drive train is, probably still the best value drive train there is at this price?
All in all I absolutely love it and if you are looking to spend a £1000.00 on a do it all hard tail DON'T!!! Go spend £700.00 on one of these, give your LBS £40.00 to set it up properly then go buy your missus a bunch of flowers and put £258.00 towards some M4's in a few months time!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Not sure yet!!!!!

Purchased At:   E-bay bargain

Similar Products Used:   Carrera Fury, Specialized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Completely standard apart from Hope Q.R. seat post clamp.

Submitted by simbabull a Cross Country Rider from herts england

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2011

Strengths:    geometry and 7005 ali frame..140mm air forks..great wheel sets for price

Weaknesses:    matt paint in white,not a great idea looks nice when cleaned..takes 2 hours cleaning to get it looking like it should,please gloss the frame next time voodoo

Bottom Line:
this bike is not going to be beaten at this price or even an extra £200..once you ride this bike you will see what i am saying..shes spot on in all areas..o.k shes not the lightest bike around @ 27lbs and yes you will replace the front and rear mechs and cranks and prob brakes with better stuff when they start to fail,but untill then enjoy and when they do start to fail upgrade to xt/or x9 and you will keep going as i dont know anyone who will ride this bike and say its crap and i have ridden bikes twice/three times the price that aint that much better...2011 suntour epicon forks are excellent with great responce,,plush and great lockout...as good if not better than the recon solo airs and not much in it with revolations/rebas...im not joking suntour are making good forks....if you have £700-£1200 in your pocket and want a bike you can ride allday and live in the u.k...get this bike and save yourself a few quid...even if you upgrade brakes and drivetrain you would have an unbeatable trail bike for under a grand....what you waiting for then..

Favorite Trail:   anywhere thats a mix

Purchased At:   halfords

Similar Products Used:   whyte 19 trail,orange p7 pro,genesis altitude 30...list goes on but these are best bikes to compair with long travel forks that i have owned..

Bike Setup:   standard 2011 set up tektro auriga comp full deore drivetrain..alex rims.. suntour epicon 140mm forks

Submitted by prairie_plow a Cross Country Rider from Bismarck, ND

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    versatile frame at a low price.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far for the price. Even if I would of paid the full price.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike. 17" geometry fits me well with a 30" inseam and 5'8" height. Top tube a little bit higher than some other brands (about 1/2-1") if your big on that. I like the option of going geared or single speed. Currently set up as a 1x8, but previously a 1x1. I was told set up as a 1x1 the bb area will flex slightly under extreme pedling, but I haven't noticed it. Paint is decent, it doesn't have leprosy like some of the previous reviews made it sound like. My frame is a 2007 i think. I like how voodoo still has a head badge and rocks the graphics like no other.

Favorite Trail:   Harmon

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Giant DS1, Kona Stinky , Surly cross check, Swobo otis.

Bike Setup:   Fox 100mm fork, Mavic rims w/ xt hubs, thomson stem and seatpost, race face next sl bar, cane creek s-3 headset, xt cranks, crank bros eggbeater pedals, sram x9. 1x8 setup w/ bb7 brakes.

Submitted by mtbiker72 a Cross Country Rider from Lynchburg, Va

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Strengths:    frame is stiff and rides well for a hardtail, even in the more rough stuff

Weaknesses:    After about 9 months of riding on the frame, the paint began to flake off from around the weld and head tube. Eventually paint began to come off from other areas as well.

Bottom Line:
I contacted Voodoo about the problem and they refused to help me. Refused to repaint or replace frame. Customer service sucks. If you are considering this frame......hope you don't have problems with it, because Voodoo won't care!!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   marin hardtail, jamis dakota, specialized hardtail

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT, Fox fork

Submitted by nitroaz a Racer from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, handles well and looks really cool

Weaknesses:    Frame

Bottom Line:
If you do a lot of XC racing this is not the frame for you. The frame is extremely weak causing too my twisting. The way the rear triangle is designed it causes the heal of my shoe to rub on the frame, this geo also allows the chain slap to beat heavily on the frame. I do like the look of the frame and once I switched it over to a SS, I really liked the adjustable horiz dropouts. I think for someone who isn't constantly beating the crud out of there bike this would be a nice frame to have, the price is sure right.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   Reba, XTR, Easton and Paul

Submitted by Christopher N. a Weekend Warrior from Woodbridge, VA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Good weight, good geometry, sliding dropouts, strong, sticks small landings well, disc/v-brake compatible, beautiful paint-job.

Weaknesses:    Head tube and BB were not faced or reamed out at all.

Bottom Line:
Awesome hardtail, could not have chosen a better bike for the money. It is an excellent XC bike, but can easily hang with any other bike on heavier trails. If you need a replacement bike, or would like to have an awesome project bike and a great spare frame, this is the bike. If this keeps holding up like this maybe I'll get a Voodoo Sobo in the future. I am just totally blown away.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead Regional

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, Ironhorse Hardtail, Access XCL

Bike Setup:   RockShox Recon Race, XT, Raceface, Shimano Wheelset, Hayes HFX9 Brakes

Submitted by Ivan a Cross Country Rider from Northumberland,UK

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Speed & Accelaeration

Bottom Line:
This bike is the dogs bollox, its different, nobody else has one ! Its fast and accelerates very well, On a good day i can show my back wheel to the odd racing bike badly ridden..............Excellent bike.

Favorite Trail:   Galloway, Scotland

Purchased At:   BikeHut, UK

Similar Products Used:   varoious bikes

Bike Setup:   RockShox Judy Xc fork,Shimanao LX bits and brakes, Mavic wheels, Continental Xc tyres, Planet X Riser bars

Submitted by Jireh Ward from Moscow, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    Made from Easton Elite tubing, super light(18.5in.=3.5lbs) Great handling with sloped head tube, almost no flex in the stays, disc tabs

Bottom Line:
This frame is awesome if you can afford it, although $600 brand new isn't too bad either. I got mine used other wise I wouldn't have such a nice frame. This thing accelerates so fast, I can keep up with cars up to 25mph on a flat road. I would reccomend any Voodoo frame or a whole bike of their website.

Favorite Trail:   Wahooooooooooo!!

Purchased At:   Mtbr Marketplace

Bike Setup:   Judy sl, Sram 9.0,9.0sl,Xt,Titec, Easton, Bontrager Mustang rims, Specialized team tires, Avid Mag levers, xt brakes, Sella Itallia seat.

Submitted by Huw Watkins a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Light, Fast & Pretty

Weaknesses:    Dark green paint job chips oh so easily leaving white primer shining through like a beacon on a hillside. Not so pretty.

Bottom Line:
My first aluminium bike ever in 16 years of road, track, cyclo-cross and MTB racing other than two 1980s Alan cross bikes - both of which wobbled badly and snapped shortly thereafter.

Swapped the frame out of my Kona and noticed an immediate improvement over an already good bike. Faster all round and a lot less nervous.

Broke it in at the 2000 Red Bull 24 hr MTB race and loved it. At 6'4" and 200 lb, too much rugby and lounging around in soft chairs in pubs has left my lower back in pieces and in the same event in 1999 on the Kona I was on pain killers long before the end - not so in 2000. It's very quick, very comfortable and very assured; it's also dealt with some rather daft errors on my behalf with perfect equinamity. It's kitted out for discs but XTR Vs do a fine job (especially if you were brought up on Weinmann cantilevers with nails hammered into the blocks when it's snowing). If there's any flexing of the stays - I can't say that I've noticed it.

I picked this frame up at cost through a friend without knowing a great deal about Voodoo (I was going to buy a CAAD4). However, I bought it on the strength of the Easton tubing and the Joe Murray name and it's repaid my faith in spades.

However, there is one are by which I've been disappointed. The paint looks great but is flakier than my old steel De Rosa. Now, I expect MTBs to get battered but the top coat leaves the metal like it wants a divorce. Glemaing tracts of white primer aren't what I had in mind. That said, it was a bargain and when I traded the old Kona frameset in for $150, who's complaining.

If all Al frames ride like this then my Vitus GTi tubed Gios Compact road bike is not long for this world.

No trouble with the wheels either - good stuff - look great and don't bend.

Favorite Trail:   Betws-y-coed, Wales

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kiluea (Columbus Cyber tubing)- long term.

All sorts of stuff short term.

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossrides, XTR, Syncros, Marzocchi Z2 BAMs, X-Lite, Gripshifts

Submitted by Anthony Lee a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Strengths:    Extrememly light. Excellent cornering, jumping, and downhilling. This frame can handle almost any abuse you put it through. I would definetly recommen this to anyone who is a cross country or dual slalom rider. This feels just like my BMX bike (that means it is super strong and it is 100% solid) this bike is much lighter though.

Weaknesses:    There isn't really any weekness except for the fact that the seat stays flex with my brakes. But that is normal because I don't have a brake booster.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this fram to anyone who want a solid
x-country bike or a potential dual slalom rider. Must buy this frame it is excellent.

Favorite Trail:   Almaden Switchback Trail and Calabasas

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC SE1, Specialized Stump Jumper M2 Comp, Gary Fischer Paragon or x-caliber.

Bike Setup:   Hayes Front disc Brake, Magura hs-22 rear hydraulic brake, Deore LX, Deore XT, DK, Crupi, Marzocchi Z4

Submitted by rob leary a Racer from washington, dc

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    light, fun while it lasts (or until you deal with the company)

Weaknesses:    weak frame

Bottom Line:
ok, Its kinda late to post this since I here they aren't making bikes anymore, but I bought this bike in october of 98 and got it together in january. the following august I cracked the frame at the seat tube where the seat tube and top tube meet. They refused to warantee it. I had it repaired by a good frame builder that I know, but it cracked again about two months later. This time the top tube cracked perpendicular to where the seat tube crack was. I had it repaired again, but don't race it anymore Now I'm racing on a 97 zaskar and its been great. The voodoo is my beater. I expect it to crack again. I weigh about 180 and I do ride hard, but never had a problem with anyone else's frames.

Favorite Trail:   tsali

Purchased At:   interbike

Similar Products Used:   GT zaskar, nishiki alien, DBR, etc

Bike Setup:   full xt,judy, 217, syncros, thomson

Submitted by Geoff Morris a Cross Country Rider from Lancashire, England

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    Amazingly quick! I am comparing it with the other bike in my possession, a Marin Bear Valley with XT and Z3 Bombers. I reckon that I'm 5 miles per hour faster with this bike.

I bought the bike second hand, replaced original Titec bars and stem with Ritchie and Azonic riser bars to stop the back ache. Phenomenal bike and am amazed how smooth the ride is across the rough stuff, compared to a cromoloy bike.

I would recommend this bike to anybody.

Weaknesses:    None noted.

Bottom Line:
Go and buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Rivington

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bear Valley (upgraded with good stuff).

Bike Setup:   XT brakes, gears, Titec seatpost, Azonic Risers and Ritchie stem.

Submitted by wayde a Cross Country Rider from sydney, australia

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2000

Strengths:    A rather light and responsive bike. With 1.2 inch slicks on it goes very fast on the road. Off road it is also very quick and efficient on the power transfer front.
I had voodoo rigid forks on mine, and titec flat bars.
The sloping top tube is good for standover clearace and the forward facing seat tube slot is good for keeping the grit out.
The black paint job looks very good.
Did I mention the lightness?

Weaknesses:    Well, it broke. The driveside chainstay cracked all the way through just next to the weld at the brace behind the bottom bracket.
The top tube cable routing has a bit of an impact on the paint job after a while.
Voodoo are going to replace the frame, though it is yet to arrive. I am riding my 5 or 6 year old rockhopper in the meanwhile, and am noticing the much smoother ride you get with steel.

Bottom Line:
it was very good, but it broke. If it had not broken it would still be very good. I will give the chillis on the assumption that it didn't break, as I hope the breaking is an abberation rather than a standard feature.
a very good bike for going fast, and quite good to look at.