Trek Elite 9.8 XC Hardtail

• Bontrager Race Lite Lux
  • Shimano Deore XT

Submitted by Chris Cammidge a Cross Country Rider from Sarnia Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Warrantee and beyond!

Bottom Line:
This is a review of their warrantee. This is not A review about The 9.8 (Needless To Say They Are Amazingly Sweet) I've Riden Trek bikes now for about 20 years and that will never, ever change. I've always been very happy with Trek's rides.But I have to share my recient experience with my fellow riders. 3 Months Ago I Purchased a brand new 2003 9.8 frame that I have Been In Love With Since I First Saw It(7 years ago) As Expected The Ride Was Awesome. It's recomended that you check your Carbon Fiber regularly for any signs of damage,In my check I spoted a hairline superficial crack that didn't affect the ride at all. I contacted my local trek dealer they took a photo and sent it to Trek's warantee division.In 4 days With No Questions Asked They Shiped Me A Brand New 2009 9.8. So obviously I was blown away.I can't say enough good things about their warantee But- This Just Adds To My Lifelong Trek Experience. Keep On Treking!(I will!)

Favorite Trail:   Sarnia Curcuit

Purchased At:   Sarnia Bicycle Shop

Submitted by submerged a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've got about 600 miles on it so far and it's a sweet ride. It's super stiff and relatively light (23.3lbs in large.) Most of my rides are 2-3 hours and I don't have any issues with fatigue. The carbon does a good job of reducing chatter. Anything beyond 4 hours and the position is too aggressive and my back begins to ache.

It's a cross country specific machine, but it does that job extremely well.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Ziggurat, Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Stock. Full XT, FOX F100

Submitted by alex stewart a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    handles very well, climbs out standing.very fast stiff light.

Weaknesses:    carbon can crack easy chian suck can ruin the fame.

Bottom Line:
trek makes the best hardtail fames out there. hands down.as long as trek stands behind the fame.you good to go.warranty comes in handy.

Favorite Trail:   brookvale

Purchased At:   smooth cycle

Similar Products Used:   9.8 9.9 from 1997 to 2006

Bike Setup:   full xtr mavic crossmaxs, fox forks

Submitted by Bill Vickers from annapolis, md

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, light, and bullet proof

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any

Bottom Line:
Have used this bike in training and racing for 3 yrs. Over 2000 miles from MTb racing and adventure racing.
Bike is down to 21 #'s. Use it on hilly and shorter length courses. Not sure there is anything out there that would make me happier. I weigh 160#. I am on the 3rd drivetrain already and getting ready to replace drivetrain again. However, frame has handled it all without a problem. Rocks have pelted the bottom bracket numerous times, with no problems. No chain suck problem, but I also am vigilant about downshifting ahead of time.
I actually feel frame is stiff. Sure, it can be punishing in the rocks, but running lower pressures in the tubeless make it nearly as comfortable as my FS bikes pumped up hard in the suspension. However, overall, this bike is fast around the course. If the race goes beyond 6 hrs in technical terrain, then I switch to a FS to decrease the fatigue.
I like the durability of v-brakes on a climbing bike. Haven't been able to find a replacement hardtail thru specialized. Most of the new ones are only disc compatiable.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   race a specialized s-works epic FS (tried and raced a bunch of others)

Bike Setup:   full xtr, v-brakes, sram xo shifters/derailleur, mavic slr, specialized slk tires

Submitted by Steven Mancuso a Racer from New Jersey, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    very fast.very efficient.very agile.plush for a hard tail.takes a beating.

Weaknesses:    absolutely none so far. Used it for the 2007 H2H campmoor race series. I raced it 14 times total this year. Trail ridden maybe 3 times at best.

Bottom Line:
Its a fast durable and efficient race only bike.Requires minimal maintenance.cleaning really. Its not a trail bike so if you trail ride buy something else. You will be dissatisfied with this bike otherwise. I DOES NOT LIKE SLOW rides. I use it for 2 hour races. I raced it in a 3 hour race once. I was fine. 4 chillis for value as it is expensive. 5 chillis because I would not race another bike.

Favorite Trail:   a dirty one

Similar Products Used:   My first carbon racer. Last hard tail racer was a Trek 970

Bike Setup:   TREK/BONTRAGER frame,post,flat bars,stem,seat clamp. KING headset,R7 80MIL,SRAM X.0. derail/shifts. XTR crankset/pedals/XT cassette,DURACE chain,DEVO seat. STAN's ZTR355,,HOPE hubs/skewers, w/KENDA small block 8's, tubeless. AVID juicy ultimates. Under 22 pounds

Submitted by Werner Streich a Cross Country Rider from White Lake, MI

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    very very fast bike, it's weight and geometry is awesome, it turns well, it has very good brakes. It is very easy to control and it is very responsive.

Weaknesses:    chain suck definitely a problem , steering chatter at high downhill speeds

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. This bike definitely turned me into a Trek fan. It is built well and it has many quality components. I think the derailleurs work well, although I do have some chain sucking going on. I will ask my Pro shop to do soemthing about it and hopefully they can fix it. I do share the opinion that the frame is not super stiff, especially in the steering head area. I can fell some minor steering jitter at higher downhill speeds going on. You really need to hold onto the handle bar.

Initially I was not too comfortable with the front fork, but after riding the bike about 100 miles it felt much better.

I'm extremely happy with this bike and I would buy it anytime again.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   American Fitness & Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg

Bike Setup:   2006 model absolutely stock, 19.5" / 5'10 / 180lbs

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Strengths:    See my reviews below, I freakin love this bike (19 inch frame for a 6'1", 180lb dude).

Weaknesses:    There are 3 guys (including myself) on this string complaining about chain suck and subsequent chainstay damage.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Beware of chain suck. Make sure there is a thick metallic patch on the chainstay to protect the frame from chain suck and of course some tape or some kind of sleeve to protect the bulk of the chain stay from chain slap.

Trek replaced my damaged frame free of charge! I remain a Trek fan!

Purchased At:   Calmar

Similar Products Used:   1995 Bianchi Ibex,, not really similar I know. Test rides on hardtail Stumpys, soft tail Stumpys and Trek 8500.

Bike Setup:   Stock, see below. Calmar installed XT crank set (Hollow tech) today. Hopefully no more chain suck.

Submitted by Richard a Racer from Shakopee, MN

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2006

Strengths:    Great geometry. Good finish work, especially compared to other Trek carbon frames.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck problems as others have noted. Handling issues (see explanation below).

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike sight unseen since the LBS's indicated that it would be a special order only item. It arrived without a chainstay protector - bad idea on Trek's part. Fortunately they got one in before I wrecked the frame as others have. Unfortunately, the guards were weakly stuck on the frame - just a thin piece of aluminum with adhesive on the back. They come off too easily when the chain gets jammed in there. I ended up wrapping it onto the chainstay with electrical tape. So far this is holding, looks OK with the black frame color. The problem is exascerbated by the cheap Bontrager/Truvativ chainrings that tend to suck the chain more than Shimano rings.

The components are generally competent - the shifting is good and the brakes work well. The Manitou fork is OK - not as light as the Sid (not quite as flexy either) and not as solid as a Fox. The Snap Valve also does not work as well as Fox's Terralogic. The stock saddle is not appropriate for a race-oriented bike. The carbon riser bars are nice, but I cannot get them low enough and put some flat bars on. The weight with my race wheels and Time Ti pedals is just a hair under 23 pounds - good but not great.

I've raced this frame several times last season and have logged quite a bit of training time on it (trails, pavement, and dirt roads). The geometry is excellent for a race bike and it fits me quite well. Looking at the frame design, the appearance seems to indicate that the front triangle should be very stout (rather large tubes) and the rear should give some compliance with the minimalist seat stays. My experience indicates the opposite is true. The rear end is quite stiff and does not give much over broken terrain - less than what you get with a Ti frame. In addition, the handling has always seemed a bit off. This puzzled me for a while until I was riding it one day on a smooth stretch of pavement at a steady clip. I looked down at what the frame was doing - there seemed to be a lot of lateral movement. To test it further, I deliberately torqued the handlebars while remaining in the saddle and could see a LOT of flex in the upper half of the frame. The bottom bracket area remained comparatively solid. My Top Fuel does not do this. My Madone road bike (which supposedly has a similar front triangle construction) does not do this. I am 5'11" and 163 pounds.

Favorite Trail:   Flagstaff, AZ

Purchased At:   Bokoo Bikes

Similar Products Used:   IF ti Deluxe, Diamondback ti hardtails. Turner Nitrous, Trek Top Fuel 110 (2005), Specialized epic (2003), Intense Spider, Specialized FSR (2001).

Bike Setup:   Stock with the following exceptions: Trek carbon flat bars, lock on grips, Crossmax SL wheels (I use the stock bontragers for training), Selle San Marco saddle.

Submitted by Erik Trogden a Racer from Vista, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2006

Strengths:    This is a follow up regarding the chainsuck frame damage in my previous thread. Trek went the extra mile and is shipping me a new frame! This is the advantage of dealing with a big company who really seems to care about their products and their customers! (not like DEAN bicycles).

Weaknesses:    Keep that chainstay protected by the chainring or your frame will perish!!

Bottom Line:
Buy it, protect it (chainstay), enjoy it! Thanks to the guys at Trek, Vista, CA for helping me sort this out!

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Trek Superstore

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list. It's the best hardtail ever. (Why buy ti?)

Bike Setup:   frame only

Submitted by jon a Cross Country Rider from peru,Il

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2006

Strengths:    light and very fast

Weaknesses:    the front fork is not as plush as what I'm used to, but I think it just takes some getting used to.
I also have experienced some major chain suck!!!!

Bottom Line:
I've moved(from Northern Cali to rural Illinois) and took up cross country racing. I was racing a 32lb all mountain bike that I really love but the whole power to weight ratio thing was a major disadvantage for me. I have not raced the 9.8 yet and won't get a chance to until april(it's december now), but I have ridden it about 100 miles and it is very, very fast. Maybe too fast for my reflexes. I have had some major chain suck that I'll watch closely. I'll send some updates as I race and ride more.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Koan Dawg delux, trek 6000

Bike Setup:   complete stock set-up from Trek

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Strengths:    I already reviewed this product last week. See this thread. I love the product. But, now I have an issue.

Weaknesses:    Erik Trogden and I are both victims of catasprophic chain suck on a Trek Elite 9.8. I got one single chain suck today and it made a deep gouge in the chainstay. The gouge expose some C fibers. Returned bike to LBS and am waiting to hear what Trek says. Seems like the chainring is too close to the chainstay, bad design?

Bottom Line:
I will follow up with Trek's verdict. Do I need to replace the frame or patch it up? Who is going to pay for it? Trek or Kirk? Either way, I will let you all know.

The sled gets 1 Chili for now (December 2006). If Trek replaces the frame for free and figures out a way from allowing chain suck to gouge the chainstay, next review will be 5 chilis all around.

Purchased At:   2500

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very fast bike: climbing, descending, and flats. It floats over the hard pack down hill, climbs like a spooked wild animal, and flies on flats when you mash the big ring. Stock weight 24.5 lb for 19.5inch frame.

Weaknesses:    Biggest issue is the psychological effect of a carbon fiber frame, it is sorta freaky at high speed. I wonder if the bike is going to suddenly fall apart at high speed because a pebble flying off the tire dinged the frame 100 miles ago. Little issues: If you get a carbon frame, the manufacturers usually recommend the seat post clamp torque is set with a torque wrench so that the frame isn't damaged by MTBiker gorilla hands. So for those of you like me that prefer a high seat setting for the climbs and a low setting for the descents, adjust at your own risk. The stock set up of the handlebars seems high, I am going to get a flat bar I think.

Bottom Line:
I swore I would never buy a Trek, but $2500 for a carbon fiber frame and solid component set changed my mind. After 20,000 vertical feet of climbing/descending on it in one month I am glad I lost my decade-old prejudice against Trek Corp.

If you want a great cross country bike, this is the one to buy. If you like to take a lot of chances and crash a lot, don't buy this because you'll jack up the frame and your bank account.

Purchased At:    Calmar, Santa Clara

Similar Products Used:   First carbon bike ridden. Been riding a 30+ lb Bianchi steely hard tail for the past 11 years, so of course I love this 24 lb Trek.

Bike Setup:   Stock: Frame OCLV 110 Carbon, 19.5in
Front Suspension Manitou R7 Platinum w/Snap Valve SPV, rebound, 80mm
Wheels
Wheels Bontrager Race Lite Disc
Tires Bontrager Super X, tubeless ready, 26x2.1"
Drivetrain
Headset Cane Creek S-3 w/cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Hayes HFX-9 Carbon, hydraulic disc, 6" rotors

Submitted by Erik Trogden a Racer from Vista, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful, light frame. Bike comes with light-weight manitou R7 fork and the excellent SRAM X/0 rear derailleur. The rest of the components are too heavy for serious XC use.

Weaknesses:    OUCH!!! If you get chainsuck on this bike, be prepared for catastrophic damage!!! Trek sells this bike with a little metal plate to protect the carbon chainstay, but mine came without one, and teh ones they install fall off quickly. This exposes the carbon chainstays to the horror of chainsuck. My frame was severely gouged and may be ruined from ONE SINGLE chainsuck. Beware...

Bottom Line:
Great bike. You just need to beware of this weakness. I gave it 0 chili's to attract your attention, but I actually love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Flightline