Trek 8500 XC Hardtail

• Front Suspension
  • Bontrager Race Disc

Submitted by tazman a Cross Country Rider from Colombo

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Strengths:    Great Bike. Very Fast and light and superb Geometry.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager Flat Handle Bars should be Riser Bars instead.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely Awesome

Favorite Trail:   Crazy Horse

Purchased At:   Treknology

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude

Bike Setup:   XT Grougp Set

Submitted by adipermadi a Cross Country Rider from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2011

Strengths:    It's pretty Fast, awesome! i really love this frame

Weaknesses:    i dont see any weakness so far

Bottom Line:
i love this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Cinere, Rindu Alam, Telaga Warna 1

Purchased At:   Sepeda Kita, Jakarta

Bike Setup:   equiped with XTR 2011 group set, Mavic Crossmax SLR 2011 + Kenda Nevegal tubeless, Fox Talas RLC and Thomson Stem/ Seat post

Submitted by Philwilh a Racer from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Very stiff and quick frame!

Weaknesses:    TREK frames could be slightly lighter, but it is the stiffnes and durability that counts the most:D

Bottom Line:
The 8500 frame is probably one of the best aluminum frames on the market today! I work in a bikeshop and have seen and tried alot of bikes, but this frame is something of its own;)

Favorite Trail:   Hakadal - Gjøvik

Purchased At:   Spinn Bikecycleshop

Similar Products Used:   Ridley Scorpion

Bike Setup:   Custom! TREK 8500 (2010) frame, Rock Shox Pike fork, SRAM XO derailleurs and shifters, Shimano Deore Hydraulic brakes and Shimano "no name" crank with pressfit bottombracket. Bontrager King Earl wheels.

Submitted by Thiuda a Cross Country Rider from SoKo

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, nimble and sexy. Tough, too, since I weigh 90kg and it's never given me any sort of trouble.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager seatpost and saddle lasted 6 months and then gave up the ghost.

Bottom Line:
This bike is stellar. I use this bike to commute and to have fun - all in all I put 200km a week on this bike. This bike has not given me any kind of trouble and looks and feels like it will give many more miles of pleasure.

Favorite Trail:   Anytime, Anywhere

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Jeong Bike

Similar Products Used:   Merida TFS 900 D

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 + Thomson Elite seatpost + Specialized Phenom saddle

Submitted by banshee555 a Cross Country Rider from Merseyside

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light,fast and looks good.great spec.
Race ready.

Weaknesses:    Tyres and saddle

Bottom Line:
I just love this bike from the day i brought it.i had a scott scale 40 last year and this trek 8500 blows it away.

The bike is a real head turner.
I have just recently changed the tyres to mountain king 2.4 as i did not like the bontrager jones tyres,plus the bontrager saddle that came with the bike was not realy that comfy so changed for selle italia.
I would recommend this bike to anyone who likes to ride at weekends or for a more competitive trail rider.

Favorite Trail:   not found one yet

Purchased At:   Edge cycles

Similar Products Used:   Scott scale 40

Bike Setup:   Old style toe clips,selle italia gel saddle,
mountain king 2.4 tyres.cateye wireless comp.carbon bottle cage.

Submitted by chuyfcd a Weekend Warrior from SLP Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    Very stiff ride, climbs excellent even whith this 96kg gorilla on top. Easy to take steep drops and excellent at cornering.

Weaknesses:    none realy ...not a full suspension version available?

Bottom Line:
I ride it at least 3 times a week on 20 to 30 km trips each day and i can say it is extremely comfortable. Even when now I'm looking to change to a full suspension because of the obvious aches i'm gettin in my back after a 40km trip due to my weight, Im sure i would keep it for shorter trips Nothing to complain really. This is a review concerning only the frame as you can see it does not have the standard accesories.

Purchased At:   Teknobike

Similar Products Used:   Alubike Grizley

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 frame, SID team 100mm fork, XT shifters, discbrakes,derraileurs and cassete(34T), XTR chain, LX cranks (price/weight difference against XT makes it a better option)Easton EA70 stem & seatpost,specialized saddle, Monkey liteXC handlebar 31.8, FSA headset, Easton XC2 wheels w/Maxxis highrollers 2.1, Ergo grips, Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by MONGE a Racer from Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    I bought from a cousing a 2008 Trek 8500 frame w/ a 100mm Reba Race (2008) w/ remote lockout, LX hydraulic disk brakes, FSA seat tube, Matrix token stem, Titec Pluto flat handlebar, LX chainrings....

Great frame geometry, light weighted, nice paint job, it feels so confortable when going up, I noticed an incredible difference when climbing, with the 34 Sram cassette you can easily climb anything... is pretty stiff, and the alpha red aluminum gives me confidence it will hold anything...

This frame along with the Reba Race fork makes this bike a very sweet ride, this fork works amazingly good...

Weaknesses:    this is a custom made bicycle, no weaknesses about the frame

Bottom Line:
I'm not changing this frame anytime soon, I will probably die with it :)

Trek bikes may be somehow expensive and even more the top of the line frames and bikes but they well worth the money.

From now on I will go Trek all the way...

Favorite Trail:   Arbolito (Little Tree)

Purchased At:   bargaing

Similar Products Used:   Optimis Traxer, this is a Costa Rican bicycle company... I'd be surprise if someone around here have seen one :)

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek 8500 Frame
2008 Rock Shox Reba Race 100mm w/ remote lock out
2008 Mavic Crossride UB/Disc wheelset
Shimano LX Hydraulyc Disc Brakes
Shimano LX crackset
Shimano XT chain
Shimano XT front and rear derrailurs
Shimano Deore chainrings
Sram cassette
WTB Velociraptor tires

Submitted by DiegoGTi a Cross Country Rider from Medellin, Colombia

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice, extremely lightweight, fast, Stiff, nice geometry. very nice handling, I like that mine is a 2006 and all the weldings are polished, the silver color is awesome

Weaknesses:    Very weak frame painting, scratch easily

Bottom Line:
With that setup is very fast, responsive, comfortable ride, climbs fast. Good for descents, It is just the best race aluminum bike you can buy.

More than 1500 miles on-road and 700 off-road, Nothing to replace or repair, still like new, except some scratches. Very reliable

Favorite Trail:   El Capiro

Purchased At:   Bike House

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo

Bike Setup:   15", Rock Shox SID World Cup Fork, Bontrager Race X - Lite (Wheelset UST, Seatpost carbon - ACC, Bar Ends & Stem) Race Bontrager Inform RL Saddle, XTR Chain, Hutchinson Phyton Light, Bontrager Race Lite Handlebar, XT Group

Submitted by tiagom a Cross Country Rider from SP/Brasil

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light and climb really fast

Weaknesses:    easily stretchable frame paint, stock tires

Bottom Line:
Great race bike, climb steep and rough paths faster than anyone that I've ever tried. Race frame geometry, not good for riding slow or long flat ways or family Sunday rides. Good for riding fast! Stock tires worn fast and frame paint easily get scratched by small rocks hitting.

Purchased At:   Tutto

Similar Products Used:   trek 4400, stumpjumper ht, Hardrock, Caldera

Bike Setup:   X9 trigger/rearde., LX frontde., m542 crankset, B.select wheels, fox rl100, Elixir CR 160/160

Submitted by firedawg225 a Cross Country Rider from Chievres, Belgium

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight (25.1 lbs),
love the shock,
smooth ride for a hardtail,
climbs like a dream,
XT all around!!,
tires are awesome,
fast i never get out of the middle chainring

Weaknesses:    Color(ok i like black but it's growing on me),
handle bar lenght could be alittle longer
front brake to big

Bottom Line:
This is a 2009 Trek 8500. My friend told me to get a hardtail. should have done this from the start. This bike rocks. It's fast, climbs great, front fork is great, and all around great XC race bike. Light weight for a alumium bike, 25.1 pounds, all the parts make up for the lightness. one thing that could be down sized for weight is the front brake. it's a 180mm. that just picky though. the brake works but if you want less weight that one thing you can change. all and all best buy i've made yet!!

Favorite Trail:   Mer De Sable

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Espace Bike

Similar Products Used:   HM moab (full suspension)

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek 8500

Submitted by dak996 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    This is a solid hard tail, very fast and nimble and extremely light.

Weaknesses:    Paint scheme. I liked my '05 that had a matte black look a little better that the '08 paint. But I am glad I was able to get my hands on a '08 and didn't have to get the '09 that is white. I don't think I could handle all that white on a mountain bike.

Bottom Line:
This is a fast and light hard tail, perfect for the Texas trails around here. If my bike would have been stolen while I was in Germany I might have gone with a squishy bike. But I love the feel a hard tail has through tight trails. Plus the 2005 model was such a good bike that I just had to replace it. The up grades that Trek has done over the years are well worth it (my '05 had an 80mm REBA; this one has a Fox 32 F100 RL, and the new hydroformed frame is sweet). All in all, this bike has improved over the years and I am very happy to back on a Trek 8500.

Favorite Trail:   Trails in the woods around Heidelberg, Germany

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   I had a 2005 8500, but some punk stole it right from in front of my house. Good thing for insurance!

Bike Setup:   2008 modle has all XT and race X lite/race lite components

Submitted by Stuart Kirk a Cross Country Rider from Oxford

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    Speed, comfort, control

Weaknesses:    Not found any yet

Bottom Line:
Brought this after using A mongoose Amasa Compe 2005 for two years as I had started XC racing and the Mongoose, great as it was for £500, wasn't good enough. The difference was amazing, speed and control are infinitely better, I can stay out on this for 10 hours straight with no problems. Hills are breeze with the fork locked and I have absolute confidence coming down the otherside.

I have put at least 1000 mile on it mainly off-road and it still feels close to new and I am not easy on my bikes, my mongoose had 3 rear mechs, new brakes and front mech during that mileage, plus countless other replacement parts. In fact I am getting slightly annoyed as I want to upgrade the thing but I will only do that when bits need replacing.

This is all XC stuff (the Ridgeway, The South downs) I haven't taken this to any trail centre as yet.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline, Afan

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Ridgeway cycle, Wantage

Bike Setup:   As original spec, nothing worn out yet to replace

Submitted by Enosz a Cross Country Rider from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, light, robust, beautiful geometry, virtually maintenance free, takes beating without a hiss.

Weaknesses:    Found none.

Bottom Line:
This is a pricey a bit but when you ride and it is reliable and you can punish without reciprocity you will know what you've paid for. I had absolutely zero problem with it trashing in city traffic, stairs, trails, hills and creekbeds. The frame just holds. No distortion, no annoying noises, paint holds second to none. If you want hardtail with perfect geometry and you think that even a nice bike is basically for entertaining you and not for show-off, so you're willing to put it to the test, go for it. You'll love it. Promise.

Favorite Trail:   Urban trooper

Purchased At:   www.nella.hu

Similar Products Used:   Trek 900, 6700, 7100

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR levers, shifters, derailleurs (Truvative Holzfeler for a while, but sucked). Bontrager wheelset, Cane Creek seatpost.

Submitted by Andreas Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Munich

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    Still working

Weaknesses:    rear triangle only 2,1 tires. no changeable derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
This is about a 1996 (!) TREK 8500 Alu Frame. First the minuses: rear triangle is narrow, only up to 2,1 tires fit. The Derailleur Hanger is part of the frame; so no chance to replace it, when it bends. The positive list: well, it ist still in very goog shape. It is amazingly responsive. From the first day on it was more like a steel frame. My other alu frame (Hot Chili) is stone dry harsh. May have something to do with the fact, that it is one of the last alu frames that were bonded (TREK did this for a time during the 90s, tranfered the technique used with theit splendid Carbon frames to alu)and not welded. The paint (mat brown) doesn't look very solid at a first glance, but (in sad contrary to the DeKerf)is absolutely top rate. Only two minor scars stemming from a toss-up.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   Rabe Munich

Similar Products Used:   TREK 9900 OCLV, Hot Chili Zymotic, DeKerf Generation

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Fork.

Submitted by Curtis a Racer from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Incredibly responsive, very balanced and even handling, perfect geometry

Weaknesses:    Long head tube makes it somewhat annoying to find a fork with a long enough steer tube, stupid trek proprietary disc brake drop out design wasn't eliminated until 2005 models.

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike.

First- The Frame:

The geometry of this bike is excellent, it absolutely loves tight singletrack and quick ups and downs. I originally had a 2002 8500 frame which has the exact same geometry (it hasn't changed in the past 5 years), and I had an 80mm fork on it with flat bars. With that set up, the bike was a bit twitchy for my taste, but admittedly, my skills were not as good then as they are now.

I now have a 2005 trek 8000 frame (same as 8500), built with a 100mm fork and 25mm rise K force bars. I immediately noticed a vast increase in the bike's stability at speed. It still has the quick, carvey soul, but now it's tamed to the point that you don't have to be a pro to reign it in.

Second- As I have it built:
I spent some extra bucks to get the bike set up just like I wanted, and it was incerdibly well worth it. As it is currently built, the bike weighs 24.33 lbs with the egg beater SL pedals I ride. The bike is an absolute rocket up climbs, even with the slightly longer travel on the fork (100 instead of 80), and the riser bars, the front wheel doesn't wander and the rear still stays glued down.

My tips for you if you were to buy a new 8000 or 8500:
ditch the dual control junk (unless crappy drivetrain parts ar your thing) and switch to SRAM grip shift (those who ride know).
Also, trade the bontrager stuff for lighter parts, Bontrager parts are notoriously heavy (expecially cranks and bars).

Overall, I give it 5 chilis for the value rating because I am so enamored of the bike and you can't put a price on the confidence this frame inspires. 4 of 5 for the overall because of the need to trade out some major parts upon first purchase.