Trek 820 XC Hardtail

3.82/5 (11 Reviews)

If you've heard the call of the trail but aren't ready to commit to the MTB life, 820 is the perfect way to get your feet dirty.
  • Frame: Trek Custom Steel w/chromoly seat tube, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour M-2025 w/coil spring, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula FM21 alloy front hub, FM31 alloy rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/machined sidewalls
  • Shifters: Shimano EF40, 7 speed

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Gunner442 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    Strong Frame, strong wheels, brakes, good power transfer, stable, fits me well..it works with very little fiddling

Weaknesses:    Shock, not much travel( but for the riding do now it's OK), handlebar grips. and saddle.

Bottom Line:
    I won this bike in a raffle 2005. I've replaced the saddle, handlebar grips, and brake pads( worn out) I'm 6' 1" and 250lbs. This bike has held up and runs great. I mainly ride street, rail trail, and single track now and this bike fits my needs. I find this bike to handle well, and feels very stable on the trail. The wheels have remained true, the shifting is still good, etc.I've gotten rid of several more expensive bikes ( Specialized Enduro, and Raleigh M800) and kept this one around... It's like a Toyota, might not be sexy, but this bike works. In my opinion, a great starting point for getting into Mountain Biking. Would recommend without reservation!

Duration Product Used:   6 years

Bike Setup:   Stock except for saddle and handlebar grips

Submitted by david.peckjr a Weekend Warrior from Gaylord, Mi

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, durable (6'4" 250lbs) can easy to but into

Weaknesses:    For intended purpose, none

Bottom Line:
    I have gone from 252# to 233# recently (07/2011) and have ridden almost 300miles since May of 2011. I don't really do the fancy jumps and tricks, however I ride hard as I can. Aspen single track is rough with roots and some rocks. And the bike has dealt with it great. I can keep up with the locals on the Hanson Hills single track in Grayling Michigan. I usually ride about 11.5 mph on these trails. The bike rolls very well on the single track with stock tires about 30-35 pounds. (though I would like a different rear tire, I spin a bit climbing) I have crashed a couple of times and the only thing is some slightly(very slightly) bent rims(fixed by truing the spokes). I am 230+lbs. The fork is not the best(so I hear) but I am happy so far. It's better than a ridged. I think people will need to read the product info on Trek's site. It is an entry level bike. It doesn't have the fancy components like $800-$1000 priced bikes. If you are interested in mountain biking, do not want to make a huge investment, tried of department store bikes then I would suggest this bike. It is durable, strong, and works well. I would not being doing tricks at a stake park or looking to clear large valleys with insane jumps. If you are going to ride on some other than hard pack, single track, then I would think about changing tires. Though they do ride well on the pavement.

Favorite Trail:   Hanson hills and Aspen

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop of

Similar Products Used:   NEXT Walmart bike (junk) riding briefly, Cannondale, GT and Gray fisher

Bike Setup:   Stock, Though I have changed grips to an ergo type and petals that have baskets for you shoes, and clip-ins on the other side when I upgrade those types shoes.

Submitted by CaterpillarTurboDiesel a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    To me, it is all of it.

Weaknesses:    The orginal tires that came on the bike.

Bottom Line:
    Ever since I have bought this bike, it has done everything I have put to it. The bike has never been upgraded, in other words, I have left it stock. And everything I have thrown at it, the bike has met if not exceeded my expectations. It is a men's 21", with 21 gears, and 26 inch rims. The original tires that came on it, were too "streety" for me, so I put on a set of KENDA combination tires. On the front, 26-inch x 1.75, and on the back I put on 26-inch x 2.10. With this set up of tire combination, it has proven to be extremely great for me. It does not matter if I am riding in mud or snow, the tires grip exceed my expectations. Even if the tires are completely packed (with either mud or snow), the tires grip great. I myself prefer the steel frame because I myself like the "heaviness". In one way or another, I use the "heaviness" to my advantage. Believe it or not, it actually helps me get through the mud and snow pretty dam good. Wether you are just a beginner or an expierenced rider, I think that the 820 ST is an all around excellent bike for the price.
    Now, I have had "regular" or "normal" maintaince done on it. Ranging from having the brake pads replaced, to having the rear derailer replaced. The reason for the rear derailer being replaced, was because it would always "fray" inside the derailer (normal wear and tear of being shifted). The only major maintaince that I have had done to it, is having the rear rim and spokes replaced, and having the chain and rear gear cluster replaced. Both replaced because of wear. Other than just normal wear and tear of the bike, it has performed to my expectations, and often exceeded them. I bought it brand new 3-9-2009, and now has almost 3600 miles, which I have put on all myself.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Stock 2009 TREK 820 ST (Single-Track Series)

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    i bought this bike new, had 2 dj session(awesome) then upgraded. its a good riding bike

Weaknesses:    not a lot but is kinda heavy but doesnt effect a lot

Bottom Line:
    If you buy this bike and keep it stock you will like it, but when you upgrade it and spend thousands on it to fit what you ride you will love. Even if it is stock its an awesome bike for the money and mostly people who get this bike should be jumpers or urban street riders.

Similar Products Used:   giant stp

Bike Setup:   16" frame, Marzocchi dj3 100mm,maxxis holy roller f&r,sram x-9 rear derailleur and shifter,avid juicy 3 brakeset f&r,mrp crankset 36T with mrp chainguide, mavic crossmax sx wheelset

Submitted by jacobdorp@gmail.com a Cross Country Rider from Omaha NE

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Strengths:    Very good Gears the mega gear realy Helps. The price Cant beet it. Heavy duty very durable frame.

Weaknesses:    Very cheep. I have been riding about 3 miles a day since i got this bike (in the summer) and thats not a lot but i have already put about $300 in this bike just in parts and labor at the trek store. Its also a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
    This is a very durable and good for the price kind of bike. I am only a beginner. I went from a walmart kind of bike that lasted about 1 month before the problems started and a year before deemed unrideable. But a very good bike and is a little heavy so if your going to be transporting it a lot then be prepared

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930 and trek 7000zx

Submitted by arm017 a Cross Country Rider from College Station, TX

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Steel Frame
    Very pretty blue

Weaknesses:    See the bottom line

Bottom Line:
    This bike is simply adequate. It is very obviously a beginner's bike. The components that come with the bike a very mediocre. My roommtes and I call this bike the cow. It is an extremely heavy bike and the fork that came on it was garbage. It litterally feels as if I have it locked out with cement. The bike ultimately just feels slugish. The geometry is very different to me. I can really feel the waste of energy in this bike. Don't get me wrong it will get you from point A to B, but the love of cycling is not expressed through this bike. I am not a fan of this trek entry level bike. Make sure you go ride it before you buy, but it is nothing to write home about. Quite uncomfortable and inefficient. I would spend a couple extra bucks and get a better entry level bike.

Favorite Trail:   Huntsville State Park

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Stock 820

Submitted by Reginhild a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2009

Strengths:    For $300 this bike is tough and can withstand a fair beating. Much better quality than the $220-$350 department store bikes.

Weaknesses:    None for the price. You could pay more for something lighter with higher end components - if you want to pay more.

Bottom Line:
    Got this bike in Doha for use while deployed in Qatar. It has stood up much better than friends bikes bought for $100 at the BX. Lots of dust here so the rubber seals at the wheel hubs help. I like the Suntour shock better than the Dart 1 shocks. Lots of Treks used by the Brits here - they seem to last. The department store bikes seem to fall apart in 6 months. Typically good bikes here are overpriced - it was nice to find the Trek 820 at just below retail.

Purchased At:   Skate Shack, Doha, Q

Similar Products Used:   Bike at home is 2007 Specialized Enduro Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Athens, GA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    In Order of Awesomeness
    Great frame- seems really strong and has mounting points for lots of accessories.
    All components work adequately and have shown great durability.
    Tires have over 1200 miles on them and still look great.
    Brakes are awesome!
    Shifters great and not a twist shift (Other bikes in the price range often times are)
    "Bail Out" gear great for steep hills at end of a ride.
    Quick release everything

Weaknesses:    In order of severity:
    Fork (only 'significant' deficiency IMO)- maybe 2" tops travel, rarely over 1.5", very hard
    Crank Set or front derailleur seems misspaced, can't tune it to shift well back and forth through all the gears without the possibility of the chain coming off either or both sides (happens to me at least once every 20 miles or so)
    Under heavy torque, rear shifting can be difficult and feels like a bad stick shift car driver when it finally goes
    Saddle is pretty hard,over 30 minutes at a time is rough
    Seatpost slides down after a while- i had to tighten it to the point where it was nearly impossible to lock and unlock, but now I only have to adjust it every month or so.
    Heavy- not too important to me because I add another 15-30 lbs of bike accessories and books/groceries/water anyway
    Pedals are cheap, but familiar (like the ones when I was a kid)

Bottom Line:
    I don't know about much trail stuff w/out heavy mods, but this is a great all purpose workhorse of a bike. I think this bike shines as a commuter/grocery getter above all else- gearing to go reasonably fast, suspension and strength to run all over curves, potholes, a little gravel, survive some throwing around and a wreck or 2 (so far). Would also be good for light trail use,an electric bike conversion, or touring (tire change). Can't beat the price without going into heavy component deficiency range.

Favorite Trail:   ride to class

Purchased At:   The Hub

Similar Products Used:   Disposable box store bikes, roommates Specialized Rockhopper: if only I could trade him forks...

Bike Setup:   Stock components, rear rack, milk crate, lights front and back, mud flaps front and back, security cable, no spandex clothes or silly hats

Submitted by Sojourner a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    Steel frame! Nice color, decent tires. Geometry is actually QUITE comparable to the 6000 series from Trek. Wheelset is surprisingly good, rear rack capable, overall an excellent platform to build on.

Weaknesses:    The RST fork is rather elementary, non-disc brakes and no disc brake mounting tabs.

Bottom Line:
    I've ridden now for over five years, most of which was DJ/FR/urban type riding. I recently decided to leave the skateparks for the younger generation, so I sold my Transition Vagrant and went looking for a decent XC/family-ride type bike.

First off I knew I wanted to get back to steel. I'll spare you the rhetoric; just suffice it to say I prefer steel (any steel) over aluminum. The next debate was functionality- could I ride it on single-track? Could I convert it for bikepacking (backpacking with a bike along hiking/MTB trails), and could I put it to use as a commuter when the weather breaks (one less car!)? I looked into Salsa's El Mariachi, and I even looked into Surly's Karate Monkey and its big 29" hoops. Trek was honestly an after thought, considering I actively seek to avoid anything related to a man named Gary Fischer (another topic entirely...). I had some money to put down, so cost wasn't a major issue, but Salsa frames are just plain expensive, and there have been some qualms with front derailleur clearance on the Karate Monkey. The Trek on the other hand, has been around fore-ever, and COMPLETE was approximately 1/3 of one of the above mentioned frames.

As a complete, the Trek 820 has its weaknesses. The fork is moderate at best, though it does what it was intended to do. It lacks any bells or whistles, or even disc tabs, but it's painted to match the frame if that means anything to you (it didn't to me, but the wife liked it). The saddle is decent enough I suppose, not stellar but acceptable. The crankset is simply horrid, but can be replaced quite easily when it dies. The deraileurs are a little chincy, but serve their purpose. The stem, bars, grips, and shifters are all fine. The brakes work quite well, but I still prefer discs.

The point I would like to raise is quite simple. The components that accompany the 820 are in a word- functional. This is a somewhat utilitarian bicycle, and even though the parts are far from top of the line, THEY DO in fact WORK. Simply because they aren't $200 carbon cranks or X.0 shifters do not mean that they fail to function properly. They work, and work well, though their durability remains to be seen. Again, at $275 complete I can't say I'm entirely surprised. Take the money you save and buy something better if you like after they are worn out.

Now onto the star of the review, the frame! I purchased the 2008 820 in the rather interesting blue-on-blue color combo. The paint is excellent, and the matte finish is quite nice. I am 6'3" and 230lbs., and the 21" frame fits me quite well. The 19.5" frame forced me to raise the seat tube quite high, to the point I felt like endos would be impossible to avoid. The steel frame isn't heavy, at least not to me. The compliance is excellent, and proves to me time and time again why I prefer steel. I did a fair amount of research on the geometry of this frame before I bought it (something that proved useful later at the store). I compared it to the Trek 6000, a higher-end hardtail. They differed only slightly- there was a half a degree difference in the seatube angle, a whopping 1cm difference in the wheelbase, and less than 2cm difference in the top tube (comparing the "Large" 6000 to the 21" 820).

Later on when I went to purchase this bike from my local Trek store I got the standard response "You need a bike in the $900+ price range if you really want to ride single-track, the geometry is just all wrong". This was a shame, since I then blew him out of the water since I had done my research and could actually quote (verbatim) the minimal differences between the 820 and the 6000 series bike he was getting at. The bike mechanic that was listening in to our conversation almost lost it- trying so hard not to laugh out loud. Just remember that a lot of bike salespersons work on commission....$$$.

So to summarize, the 820 is an excellent buy if you are on a budget, or just looking to get your feet wet. On second thought, maybe it should only be for those of us that have ridden long enough to understand both the industry and how easy it is to swap components. A total newb might want something he/she can just buy and forget about. In that case the 820's *components* might just let them down, but not the frame. Again, I'd stress that the crankset and possibly the derailleurs are the real weak-links, not the bars/stem, shifters, or brakes. So even if you buy this bike and strip it down to the frame, you've still got a great steel frame that you've only paid $275 for, which is about what you would pay for a non-name brand frame (like those sold by Nashbar or JensonUSA), but the Trek frame has a life-time warranty. I give the 820 4 chilies, but that was for the one real nit-pick I have with this bike, and that is because it doesn't come with ISCG disc mounts already welded to the frame. Now worries, since it's going to cost me $25 to get them put on by a local weld shop. Still checking on whether that will negate my warranty...

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3700, Iron Horse Warrior (full-suspension, but XC), Transition Vagrant (hardtail, but for FR)

Bike Setup:   Completely stock.

Submitted by Crusty a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
    I guess you get what you paid for or in my case what I didn't paid ;) Steel is very heavy. Transmission is bad, chain fell off for no reason. Fork is laughable. Saddle is only slightly more comfortable than rocks. Brakes are pretty good. Anyway, I sold it used after a few months.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Woods