Trek 8000 XC Hardtail

4.5/5 (32 Reviews)

You know your way around a course, and you know exactly what you need in a ride: speed, durability, light weight, and all-around killer performance.
  • Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, butted & formed top tube, hydroformed down tube w/integrated gusset, bridgeless seatstay, forged race dropouts & replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: Fox Alps w/air spring, rebound, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano alloy M525 hubs; Bontrager SSR 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX, 10 speed

Submitted by Jin

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    1. Superlight! Only 23 lbs with my current set up. It might go lower if you go tubeless.
2. Very strong compared to carbon frames
3. Handles really well on single trails
4. Looks awesome!!

Weaknesses:    1. Less vibration damping compared to carbon frame
2. Hard to keep up with 29ers on flat

Bottom Line:
I have 2010 version. I bought it as used. The previous owner upgraded it to XTR crankset, X0 derailleurs, Thompson handle bar and seatpost. It is really light as carbon or even lighter than lower grade carbon frames. If you want a superlight HT bike that can take beatings, look no further!!

Submitted by Simon Grech a Cross Country Rider from Malta (Europe)

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Strengths:    Light as Carbon and Robust as Steel

Weaknesses:    The SLX shifters

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. Very light and not fragile like carbon bikes. I highly recommend this bike. 2 things i will change shortly... the SLX shifters to XT and the Sram chain that rolls on the XT rear deraileur and on the XT crank. Honestly i dont get it... The rest is perfect.

Purchased At:   Magri Cycles (Mosta,

Submitted by ljblanco a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light, cool white design, great Suspension, excellent geometry

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Well I bought the 2010 model and I can assure this bike is one of the best, the incredible light weight and the good brakes response makes it perfect when you are going downhill (very fast also), the reba fork is a dream and the SLX gear shifters work good but maybe in the future I'll change it for XTR.

Bike Setup:   RockShox Reba SL
Crank Shimano Deore XT 44/32/22
Shifters SLX
Front Derailleur Shimano SLX
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
Pedals Shimano XTR
Brakeset Avid Elixir 5
Cassette SRAM PG970 11-34, 9 speed.

Submitted by Marc a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Light, easy to bike. Nice setup. Great design

Weaknesses:    SLX shifters combined with XT rear derailleur

Bottom Line:
With this bike, cycling goes so much easier than with my old 4300. Everything costs less effort, so I enjoy biking even more. After the switch of shifters, it's just a perfect bike. Also I thought Shimano XT was the standard in disc brakes, but the Elixir 5 on the 8000 work very nice and have a good feel in the brake handles.

Favorite Trail:   single

Purchased At:   Math Salden, Limbric

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Almost original : the SLX shifters are replaced with XT shifters

Submitted by Big JASU a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Strengths:    Stable in loose sand, stiff

Weaknesses:    Shifts verry bad (due to sram chain PC927). Elexir 5 squeel and vibrat all the time, the pads are way to close to the rotor. When the suspention Roch Shock Reba SL is shifted it stay in the hard condition, you need to pull the steer to unlock it. It is the worst bike I ever road on. He is back in the shop, hopefully TREK replaces the malfunctioning bike.

Bottom Line:
This was mtb off the year (2009) . I ask myself , do they ride the bikes.....

Favorite Trail:   Mol

Purchased At:   Lenaerts Marc

Similar Products Used:   Minerva outback

Bike Setup:   see www.trekbikes.com TREK 8000 2010

Submitted by jetroutm a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Strengths:    Great response, light weight, great componets

Weaknesses:    Saddle, Tires

Bottom Line:
I started riding trail this summer. I picked up a Trek 4500 serious and put in around 200 miles of trail on it. It was a good way to break me in and also a good baseline on how to job my next bike. The 2009 Trek 8000 was such an improvement I will never ride my other bike again. I can't believe the difference the components make. Light weight, reduction in rolling resistance and self correcting in many ways. For a hard tail bike this one is a dream. The tires are more for hard pack and its fall in Indiana so its wet and sloppy. I threw on some WTB VelociRaptor’s and it's kicking on the trail. If you're looking for a great middle of the road hard tail this is the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County State Park

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   08' Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Stock except WTB VelociRaptor tires and Bontrager Race X saddle, Shimano XTR pedals

Submitted by mmountainbiker a Cross Country Rider from Valrico, florida, U.S.A

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Strengths:    After I re-set it up, and upgraded SLX to XT shifters. straightened out the rotors and reposition the calipers, removed the gear indicators for proper 1 or 2 finger brake finger position I can say this bike's manners are impressive. I dont care if your riding a $5000.00 dollar hardtail ,you wont be able to tell the difference. This bike communicates everything between you and the ground to your your butt and fingers. Gears are one pop away from the other and brakes after a long hill-less florida break-in period are grabby just how my 250lb body needs them to be. And its easy on the eyes

Weaknesses:    Hard ride. recommend you keep the paint waxed as the black is sure to show scratches for those who care how you look when you show up at the trailhead and your friends bikes cost thousands more than yours. Did I mention the hard ride.

Bottom Line:
Tires not the best for mud but great on hard packed surfaces. Bike does what its suppose too but inherently its a hardtail when I should have gotten a F/S.
But I must say that I love my bike

Favorite Trail:   Boyette, Alafia

Purchased At:   Trek of Tampa

Similar Products Used:   2001 Trek 8000, caloi Team XT

Bike Setup:   Hardtail. Upgraded to XT shifter and XTR chain, Oury red grips. spd 525. Exellent service from Trek of tampabay on Mcdill Ave.

Submitted by itsgotahemi a Cross Country Rider from dousman wi usa

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    fast, light, shifts smooth, looks sweet, great bike
I have crashed this bike so many times and it still works like brand new. Brakes stop on a dime. this bike rails corners. I have a 19.5 frame and with pedals and cages this bike weight about 25 lbs (but it fells like 15)
its a bumpy ride but it goes fast

Weaknesses:    tire are kinda cheap and heavy i plan on ungrading soon,
HUb cones came unlocked after 2 rides
fork took a while to get set up correctly
grips hurt your hands if you dont use gloves

Bottom Line:
best bike for the money
if you like going fast you should buy this bike

Favorite Trail:   kettle moriane wi

Purchased At:   cyclesmith wi

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock
gary fisher 29ers

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by hamburger a Weekend Warrior from pleasanton, california

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    light, good shifting, 2009 model has a pretty paint job, larger front rotor. rock shock reba feel nice and have lockout feature. avid juicy 5 hydraulic brakes work very great.

Weaknesses:    it comes with flat handlebars. the font quick release skewer digs into the front forks, until it rubs/wears the metal off a bit, due to the cam design of the skewer.

Bottom Line:
i am happy with this bike. i plan on keeping it a long time.

Favorite Trail:   henry coe state park, morgan hill, ca

Similar Products Used:   trek 4500, specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   2009 Model:
mine is a 15.5" - all stock except for fsa carbon riser handlebars.

Sizes 15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5"
Frame Alpha Red Aluminum w/internally and externally relieved head tube, hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube, wishbone seatstay, hydroformed chainstays, forged and relieved disc ready dropouts
Front Suspension RockShox Reba SL w/positive and negative air pressure, Motion Control, rebound, compression, lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm
Wheels
Wheels Shimano M525 SL rear hub, Bontrager sealed front hub; Bontrager SSR, 32-hole welded rims w/eyelets
Tires Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"; 60 tpi, folding
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano SLX SL
Front Derailleur Shimano SLX
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT "Shadow"
Crank Shimano Deore XT 44/32/22
Headset VP-A58ACT-TK, 1 1/8" w/alloy cups, semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc; 185mm front rotor, 160mm rear rotor

Submitted by edspy14 a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl, Usa

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    Great geometry, components great except chain, and awesome rockshox fork. The best bike for the money and for anyone interested on singletrack and xcountry

Weaknesses:    The rear tire sticks horribly on dirt but is good on asphault, as if that actually mattered. I replaced this immediately. the only other problem I faced was the chain kept on snapping. It snapped 3 times on my first chain and 2 times on my seccond. must be a problem with the cogs or chainrings or something.

Bottom Line:
A nearly perfect bike, if you dont mind spending the extra money on the tire, and on replacing the chain over and over...

Favorite Trail:   strangler fig

Purchased At:   City bikes, best bik

Bike Setup:   stock with maxxis crssmax ust tubeless rear tire

Submitted by tkirsch a Cross Country Rider from Phenix City, AL

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Strengths:    Light
Takes a beating
Saddle is almost semi comfortable
Wheels have stayed true all this time.

Weaknesses:    I didn't like the LX dual control brake shifter
Stock tires were weak

Bottom Line:
I am 195 lbs and ride this bike as my singlespeed and it has held up to my abuse. I take it on fast singletrack and I sometimes take it to the air. Climbs like no ones business. Decends pretty well. I like to switch up using this bike with my heckler to spice things up.

If you are looking for a entry level race HT, this may be your bike. Overall, it is lot of bang for your buck. I plan to keep this bike until it breaks.

Favorite Trail:   TOT

Purchased At:   Ride on Bikes Columb

Similar Products Used:   08 SC Heckler

Bike Setup:   Set up as SS with thompson post/stem, panaracer 2.1 tires. LX cranks, XTR peds.

Submitted by domhelder a Weekend Warrior from Boston,ma

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light, very light and fast. Climbs like a goat, almost taking the fun out of biking so easy it makes it!
I've only had it for about a month and I couldn't wait for spring and have been riding it on snowed/iced and very technical trails and believe me this bike can take it!
Brakes, geometry, shocks are great! and dive train, better than expected!
I tend to like trek's frame better than other brands!

Weaknesses:    Seat, It hurts!
But what do you want? a Lazy boy chair?

Bottom Line:
Yes,Yes I'd buy it again and I recomend it!

Favorite Trail:   Lynnwoods

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, 3900, 3700,Cannondale F4,Diamondback sorrento, Kona blast, all hard tails

Bike Setup:   shimano xt rr/deore front, reba shocks and michelin tubeless(very good grip)

Submitted by sethmcdonnell@yahoo.com a Racer from tampa, florida, usa

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    great race bike. has great xt and lx components. very light bike all in all. great set up. fast bike.

Weaknesses:    if you jack the fork up too much, like to 115mm, it looks kind of ugly. the bike came with a 80mm fork. i use the fork at 100mm. 80mm is too small.

Bottom Line:
great bike. recommend it to a friend. it's worth your money.

Favorite Trail:   flatwoods, tampa

Purchased At:   shop in north caroli

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper ht

Bike Setup:   xt and lx components. light frame. bonterager wheels.

Submitted by Ogong a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2008

Strengths:    Good componentry, reasonably lightweight, solid build. Climbs and descends as good as you.

Weaknesses:    Bad color scheme I guess.

Bottom Line:
Straight-forward cross country bike. So if you need a no-nonsense XC hardtail, get this one.

Favorite Trail:   Sunset Ridge, El Prieto near Pasadena

Purchased At:   605 Cyclery in Norwa

Bike Setup:   All stock except pedals

Submitted by The Kid 5 a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    2008 Model. Very Light, fast, excellent climber. Great component spec for the $$$. The Reba fork is awesome. The XT deraileur and cranks are great. Looks great too! (2008 model)

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet. I have seen on some reviews where people don't like the Avid brakes. Mine are tuned perfectly and stop on a dime. Some people don't like some of the Bontrager stuff. I honestly have no complaints. The color of the 2008 model was an issue for some. I am one who loves the silver and blue. I've had a lot of compliments on it. I am strictly an xc rider so I don't do a lot of drop offs and such. I ride hilly singletrack and fire roads mostly.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent XC HT. I bought this bike for racing. So far, I love it! I went with the 8000 over the above mentioned bikes because I liked the XT crankset, and had heard great things about the Reba fork. I love the Reba's adjustability and ride quality. The other models had the Fox fork (Excellent!) and a lesser Shimano crankset. Most of the other components were the same. I went with this bike and haven't been dissappointed at all. My shop was excellent about giving me tips on how to get the full potential out of this bike. It's nice and light and fast, right out of the box. This is a great bike for an entry level racer (Like myself) or a higher level racer.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp HT. Scott Scale 40. Both are excellent bikes. I just liked the feel of the Trek better and felt that it had a tad bit better component spec for the same $$$.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for XT pedals

Need new shocks for my 97 Trek 8000

I went in to my local bike shop two days ago and the guy said he can't fix my shocks or replace them because they don't make the parts anymore. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap set of replacement shocks that will work?Read More »

Trek 8000 - Good beginner bike or not?

Hello all. New to the forum and I'm looking to step up my mountain biking from a four or five times a year to a regular basis. As a result I'm after an entry level bike to get me started. Have had numerous recommendations, mainly Specialized, Trek and Cubes. I'm interested in the below Trek 8000 ... Read More »

Is this really a Trek 8000

[url=http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/bik/4355652049.html]small size TREK8000 aluminum ROAD BIKE[/url] Found this Trek 8000 on craigslist and would appreciate any opinions. Has it been altered or was this one an off year? Doing a little research, it is my understanding that the Trek 800 is a mount ... Read More »

1987 Trek 8000 (Non WTB Team Build)

After seeing Fillet-brazed's super cool, blue and white WTB team build, (and falling in a bit of lust with it), I started the search for a frame to build one of my own. Since they apparently don't grow on trees, it took me a while to find a "close enough" frame to start with. Obviously then, t ... Read More »

96 TREK 8000 --> How much to pay (link included)

Hey folks, I am going to see this bike tonight. $500 seems way to high. If it's in good shape, what would be the limit? $250 ?! Any opinions whould be appriciated.... [url=http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-mountain-TREK-8000-Mountain-Bike-Hard-Tail-W0QQAdIdZ503561163]TREK 8000 Mountain ... Read More »