Trek 8.3 DS XC Hardtail

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

If you’re looking for that one perfect go-anywhere bike, DS is it—equally adept on road or off.
  • Frame: Alpha Gold Aluminum
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour NEX 4610, adjustable w/lockout, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Alloy disc hubs; Bontrager 750 disc 32-hole alloy rims
  • Shifters: Shimano M360 Acera, 8-speed trigger

Submitted by Eric N Milkey a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2014

Strengths:    I researched this bike purchase pretty hard. For the money...for the features...for the components...for the performance...it can't be beat.

Weaknesses:    Of course I'd like a better group. I'd like a better fork. But show me a deal where you get the components of this bike...and it's geometry (Gary Fisher designed...and it don't get better than that), for the price...and I will say...Awesome deal.

Bottom Line:
I bought my last bike (a GT Avalanche) when I got out of the army in 1990. It served me well. And continues to do so...I put studded tires on it and made it my winter bike. I live in Wisconsin. But this bike blows it away. The GT had a more aggressive riding position. It was...at the time...a race bike. But it was heavy. Chromoly frame. As my riding habits over the years switched from hardcore mountain biking to more pavement/hardpack...I switched to Ritchey Speedmax tires...which blows your typical 26" knobby away. the 700c tires on the 8.3 blow the 26" Ritcheys away ( I am in no way ripping on the Ritchey Speedmax tire...which for a 'city' mountain bike is your only choice). If your typical ride is in an urban setting...with the occansional trails thrown into the mix, you can't buy a better bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding on.

Duration Product Used:   A week

Purchased At:   Bring's

Similar Products Used:   1990 GT Avalanche

Submitted by Giancarlo

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2013

Strengths:    I ride mostly asphalt roads, very fast, very quiet, everything works perfectly.

Weaknesses:    The first thing that I will change will be the pedals, I will keep an eye to the brakes, for now I have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
Very pleasant to look at, very easy to ride, excellent value for the price, I bought mine this week ( blue ) and I love it, this is my 3rd Trek bike ( Road, MTB, Dual Sport ), as usual I am very happy with, I ride mostly asphalt roads, very fast, very quiet, everything works perfectly.

Submitted by Dror Sever a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    Very good value for money. Geometry is brilliant! The best hybrid bike you can get. Very easy to climb with.

Weaknesses:    Tires, fork, brakes.

Bottom Line:
I love my trek 8.3 ds bike! In the last six months I have been ridding it every day to work and back, about 20 km a day, with ~150 meters climb each direction and part of it is off road. The ride is great. I love to climbs uphill with it. And it is superfast.

Duration Product Used:   six months

Purchased At:   bilu bikes Jerusalem

Similar Products Used:   kona kula with city tires, trek 9700 carbon with city tires.

Bike Setup:   Single change: maxxis override excel 700x35.

Submitted by Silvr777

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2013

Strengths:    Good for the money.

Weaknesses:    Brakes need to be constantly adjusted. Screws push out of the pedals.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike about 5 weeks ago to use as a commuter and something that I could use on light trails, on the weekends. It is a good bike for the money but there are a couple of things that were cheaped out on by Trek. The brakes need to be constantly adjusted. I get them perfect, ride for about 20 miles and then they are rubbing badly again. Or they get loose. The screws push out of the pedals and you have to take the reflector off to screw it back in. It has those cheap plastic reflectors that just push in and I break them when I take them off. The tires aren’t cheap. But they suck for both road and trails. I think they were going for a happy medium and missed both. Either way if you ride hard you will probably want to upgrade your bike components if you buy anything under $1000. But 5 weeks in I have to replace pedals and want to replace the brakes and the tires. I am happy with it though.

Submitted by Jonathan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, Ride Position, Fast, Lockout Suspension

Weaknesses:    Expensive, Brakes, Suspension Travel

Bottom Line:
I bought a Trek 8.3 recently not really knowing what I was getting into. I asked for a commuter bike with offroad capabilities claiming I would only do light trails. Unfortunatly, I fell in love with the mountains. Trek allowed me to trade it in for a Marlin. This bike is not very capable if you plan to go trailing. I got a flat tire 13 miles from my house and had to walk home (my fault for not purchasing a tire fix kit I guess). For what it claims, it's a phenominal bike. I could not have been happier. It's fast, fun and pretty good looking as well. Just need something a little more rugged. Also, the Giant Roam 2 (same price) has hydraulic disc brakes and comes with 9 speeds. Just something to think about if you puchase a bike like this.

Submitted by CabinDweller a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Light
Geometry
Riding position
Comfort
Speed

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Bike is fast on both the road and trail. Lockout fork is a must on a dual sport machine and this one works well. The bike feels lighter than my 4300 even though it is a larger frame. The large 700c wheels roll very fast and smooth.

This bike is a killer on the tow path and country roads!

Purchased At:   Eddy's