Trek 6700 XC Hardtail

3.87/5 (15 Reviews)
MSRP : $2099.99

You're ready—for longer days on the bike, for tougher challenges on the trail, for the next class up at the race.
  • Frame: Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, twin taper down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, wishbone seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: RockShox Recon Gold Air w/rebound, remote lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano alloy M525 hubs; Bontrager Ranger 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX, 10 speed

Submitted by chapmadd a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    XT drive train, Fox Fork, Handling

Weaknesses:    Frame geometry, Avid Elixer Brakes

Bottom Line:
Frame sits too low and bottoms out on everything. Always catching the crank arm on rocks/roots. Brakes are noisy and junky. Regularly need to adjust the brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee, Tsali, Tanasi

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Atlanta Cycling

Submitted by choza a Weekend Warrior from Miami Florida

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    light, durable

Bottom Line:
Tested the bike for the first time this weekend on a rainy morning. The bike handled very well. Impressed with the light weight.
Will recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Amelia Earnhart Miami Florida

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by defleppardsg a Weekend Warrior from Fishkill NY

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, climbs very well, looks good.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires were lame, brakes can be noisy at times. After 25 or 30 hours of riding, drivetrain/cables still settling in, need tweaking often.

Bottom Line:
Despite my few gripes above, I LOVE this bike. This is my third bike, but my first new, properly fitted bike. Ever since I got it, I've been riding way more and progressing very quickly. This bike feels very light and easy to maneuver, it's quick and nimble, and it climbs like a goat. I'm happy with the fork, and the drivetrain components seem durable.

I have had to get the bike set up several times since I got it, but I assume that every new bike has a break-in period where the cables stretch, etc and need to be tuned up frequently for the first bunch of hours.

The brakes whine sometimes when I'm getting on them hard, kind of annoying. I've been told this is normal in many disc brakes... I don't know.

The bike's geometry seems to put you in a medium-agressive position, so it's comfortable when riding hard, but can be a little uncomfortable if you're just taking a cruise, or if you've been on the bike for hours.

I've heard complaints about the saddle, but I am comfortable on it. I've also read complaints about the longer stem, but it all feels fine to me. I'm not a pro rider or bike tech, but I do believe that this is a great bike. I like it better than my last two bikes, and also more than other brands I compared this to when shopping around. Works for me!

Favorite Trail:   909

Purchased At:   Wheel and Heel

Similar Products Used:   2004 Trek 8000
2000 Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   Shimano pedals
Bontrager Big Earl 2.35" tires

Submitted by stevem a Weekend Warrior from Fishkill NY

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, climbs very well, looks great.

Weaknesses:    Comes stock with some very lame tires- easy/cheap upgrade.

After 25-30 hours of riding on the bike, the drivetrain still needs a tweak here and there- hasn't settled in yet.

Brakes can be noisy at times.

Bottom Line:
Despite the small gripes listed above, I LOVE this bike. I was going to buy the 2009 model, but I'm glad I wound up waiting a year because I think the 2010 looks a lot better. This bike feels very light and climbs very well. I've been riding a lot more and progressing quickly since I got this bike 12 weeks ago.

The components work well. Shifts smooth, quick, and quiet, even in tough shifting situations. I've had to get the bike tuned up 3 times since I got it, but it's a brand new bike, so I assume the components and cables have a break-in period. The setups are free for a year anyway at the shop where I bought it from.

Like I said, the brakes are sometimes noisy when I get on them hard. I've been told that this is normal in disc brakes, but I've never witnessed it on other friends' bikes, so I dont know...

The way that I understand it, this is Treks entry level racing hardtail- I feel like the geometry of the bike puts you in a medium-aggressive position. Good for hard riding, but not really comfortable for hours and hours on the bike. Many people complained about the saddle in their reviews; I don't mind it at all. Also, I've read complaints about the longer stem. No problems here.

This is my thrid bike, but my 1st real, new, properly fitted bike. So I'm definitely not a pro rider or bike tech, but I really enjoy riding my 6700 and I liked it a lot more than many of the other bikes that I compared it to while shopping around. Works for me.

Favorite Trail:   909

Purchased At:   Wheel and Heel

Similar Products Used:   2004 Trek 8000
2000 Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   Shimano PD-M520 Pedals
Bontrager Big Earl 2.3 tires

Submitted by 99Vette a Cross Country Rider from york pa

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    I got 10 long years out of this bike with lots of hard falls and steep hill climbs. The frame held up to everything I through at it. The Rock Shock forks were never replaced though that is the main reason for replacing the bike. Trek makes a great bike.

Weaknesses:    By far the biggest weakness in Bontrager. Cranks wheels its all the same they SUCK!

Bottom Line:
10 years and many derailures, cables, chain rings, etc later I still like that bike, alot. I think it may retire hanging behind the bar in my basement.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Ellicot City, Md

Purchased At:   Race Pace

Submitted by Cheeze-rider a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent overall components. The brakes are strong with a good feel, the shifters are slick and precise, the shifting is smooth and quiet. Front forks are a little soft, but nice. The bike has proven extremely reliable under heavy trail usage.

Weaknesses:    Replaced the seat which is lousy and the tires which are weak on trails.

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny

Similar Products Used:   Norco

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Calera, AL USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    This review is for the 2008 model. Strong and light frame with very little flex in the rear triangle. Sram drivetrain, mine came with X7 shifters and X9 rear derailer, just perfect shifting! Fork is great too, a Rockshox Recon SL. Quality paint and welds. Geometry of the frame is great. Avid Juicy 3 brakes.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager saddle is pain and the Bontrager ACX tires will slide out without warning.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike and it is an excellent value. It climbs well, jumps well and will take downhills with confidence. This frame is worthy of future upgrades. Great hardtail!

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Piranha

Bike Setup:   Upgraded the seat and tires because they needed it, other than that this bike is great stock.
WTB SLT seat, WTB tires.

Submitted by David Nance a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    SRAM X9 is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Hayes 9's brakes are rubbish. Heard a hum sound from back disc when brakes applied, next thing you know 5 of the 6 bolts holding the disc to the hub had fractured and popped out. disc held on by one screw!. Bike shop advised to change to 'organic' (otherwise known as rubber) brake pads to avoid the hum/vibration..... hmmmmm

Bottom Line:
The bike is used for commuting and the SRAM gears are great. Shocks are ok for commuting type run. Frame is a bit on the heavey side. Apparently this bike is made for Trek by Giant in their factory in China.

Purchased At:   Planet Cyles

Bike Setup:   stock standard except tyres changed to conti slicks

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from La Rochelle, France

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame, brakes hfx-9, drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    Rockshox tora 318, handlebar and stem creak and squeek a lot, noisy brakes..

Bottom Line:
OK I like this bike, but it was certainly not my prefered choice. I bought a really nice QBIKE with some really hot gear on it, and it was under 12kg, but after i got it home and did a couple hours on it i realised it was way too small for me. Maybe it would have been a great throw around the track bike, being small and lightweight, but i really wanted a confortable, fast, cruiser. Im 185cm and 85kg so the little 19'QBIKE was too small. THe Bike shop reluctantly did a deal on this 2006 TREK 6700.

So im happy with it after 1000km but a few points; i dont really like the TORA 318 fork, it works fine, but is not precise enough for me. It lost all its air pressure after 2 months, and oil seems to, ever so slowly leak from the top of the adjuster and around the stems...

Other points as someone already pointed out, bontrager sucks. I liked the feel initally, but after my use the alloy handlebar and stem creaks and squeeks and sounds like it is about to break..ive tried tightening the screws and lubricating but its just getting worse. Also the seat post creaks a lot too.

Only other mention is the HFX9 brakes are great at stopping and not much else. They make the strangest noises at the most unpredictable times, and sometimes just dont seem to wokk properly. For example, you can slam the rear brake and it feels like a v-brake until it grabs eventually;) and under heavy braking they are really loud (and embarissing)

otherwise, its a great bike with great potential to upgrade some parts. I love the confident and nicely tuned standard drivetrain (X-9 rear), its a fast bike and i like that.
mic

Favorite Trail:   anything...ile de ré is good

Similar Products Used:   Giants XTC2, IGUANA.

Bike Setup:   STD, except for Time Attack pedals, SRAM chain and Hutchinson airlight Pirhana's. Shes heavy with all my accessories too..lights, computer, saddle bag, pump; bottle, me etc..

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Annapolis, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Great drive train components, effective brakes, well-made frame and warranty by Trek, good entry level air suspension - just a good value all around

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit heavy (not a huge deal for me); crank arm/bottom bracket squeaked a bit on the first few rides, but that has subsided; crappy saddle; iffy performance from back tire

Bottom Line:
This review is for the apparently rare 2007 Trek 6700. (I was told that this bike was in short supply on the East Coast when I bought it.) Also, I am bigger rider at 6'3" and 215 lbs.

I tried a lot of bikes in my search for an upgrade to a bike that can perform in mountain bike and adventure races without spending several thousand dollars. I wanted a mid-high level drivetrain, disc brakes, and air suspension. Everything else was details to me. This bike has all the things I was looking for and has great potential for upgrading components when the time (and money) comes. It rides very well and takes turns nimbly. I can also attest to its sturdiness given the several decent crashes I've had so far. I've hit two distinctly different types of trails and its done really well on both: fast, mostly flat singletrack; and very hilly, rocky terrain with switchbacks and nice, long descents. The brakes have not disappointed me in the course of halting me on the blazing fast straight-aways and controlling my plummets down the long hills. A little noise here or there, but nothing terrible. The Tora fork is great in soaking up bumps and helps with climbing efficiency. The SRAM X-9 rear derailluer has also done well with shifting under force. So far, no real ghost shifting problems. It's just a great bike.

The fact of the matter is that I would probably have been happy with most any bike in the same league as the 6700, but it just felt like a good fit and performed well in demos. I opted for a 19.5" frame to save weight and be more nimble. This leads me to one of the reasons I didn't get the 29er I tried: the Gary Fisher Cobia.

So, I tried and really liked the ride of the 2006 GF Cobia. It rolled over everything and climbed really great. I also could have bought it at an awesome price. What stopped me was: (1) the possible fad-like nature of the 29er (even though it seems other mainstream manufacturers have joined in and its lasted about 4-5 years), (2) the limited availability of wheels, rims, and tires in that size (even though WTB has been supporting the craze), and most importantly (3) I didn't want to trade acceleration and more responsive steering for momentum preservation and climbing advantages. I realize that 29ers are perfect for guys my size, but I'd rather perfect the skill of picking good lines rather than just steamrolling whatever's in front of me. For the competitions I want to do, technical riding ability seems to be a premium. And that's not to say that I can't gain those skills on a 29er, I can. It's just a trade off. I'd rather bank on the faster acceleration ability and more nimble steering for the kind of riding I do, which is predominently hilly and calls for rapid changes in speed and careful steering to finesse the trail.

A word or two on the Avid Juicy 3 brakes. I was nervous about buying a bike with hydro brakes for starters (since its more difficult to repair and maintain them yourself), let alone brakes not even listed on Avid's website. So far, no problems aside from a little rubbing after crashes. Luckily my LBS offers free lifetime minor tune-ups to sort these things out until I learn what I'm doing in maintaining them. Big tip with all disc brakes: if you have to dismount the front wheel, put a piece of cardboard between the calipers so that if the front brake level gets pulled by accident, the calipers don't stick together.

Replace the Bontrager saddle ASAP. The plastic piece under nose broke or just shifted forward and acted like a blade, cutting a nice hole in a good pair of tri shorts. Besides, it was light on the padding anyway. I picked up a good WTB ProGel saddle from Performance for 70% off.

Last thing: the SRAM X-7 shifters. This is the first SRAM shifter I've used. It was difficult to adjust at first because they put both the up and down shift levers under the handlebar. It frees up other fingers to stay with the brakes or grip better since your thumb is now doing all the work. The only draw back is that with both levers down there, you're more apt to accidentally push one of them when things get hairy.

Happy riding.

Favorite Trail:   Avalon area of Patapsco State Park

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor of Frederick

Similar Products Used:   Had a '96 Trek 820 Mountain Track rigid before this (so anything's an upgrade); Demo'd: Giant Yukon and Rincon, Fuji Tahoe Comp, Felt Q720, Gary Fisher Cobia, Specialized Rockhopper and Hardrock, several others in that price range

Bike Setup:   Stock except for WTB ProGel saddle, platform beartrap pedals with toeclips until I get the hang of mountain shoes, and soon to be WTB VelociRaptor rear tire and some bar ends.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Centeral California

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, components for the $, drivetrain good enough for racing if maintained, excellent for beginner, durability of wheels which I have trued once 9 months of aggressive riding

Weaknesses:    Terrible tires, Seat post clamp slips, heavy for a hardtail. its out of the box at 29lbs. Pedals have inconsistent engagement and release making them hard to learn on. Brakes rub constantly after crashes, crank needs to be tightened frequently.

Bottom Line:
When I bought this bike I had almost no Mt biking experience and I felt like I was going out on a limb to buy something this expensive. It was worth it and has done an excellent job over the past 9 months. I have ridden this bike aggressively in rocky southern California for 10 months and it has held up great. I even raced this beast successfully for one collegiate season. If you are new to Mt biking and looking for a bike that will allow you to expand your riding this is the bike for you. If you like durable and versatile hardtails this is the bike for you. If you are a weight weenie this is not the bike for you. Since I bought this bike I got a job at a bike shop so I'm only retiring the trek for a Giant anthem with full X0 and custom built DT Swiss wheels. I thought about selling it, but I can’t bare to do so. My plan is to give it a full tune up and use it as a lender. Hopefully some of my friends and road teammates will learn to love Mt biking on this bike just as I did. I haven’t ridden to many of the other big company’s hardtails, but to me this is as good of a choice as any.

Bike Setup:   All stock except Panaracer tires, allen seat clamp and spd 540’s. This 07 model came with x7 shifters, x9 rear derailleur, hayes nine brakes, rockshox tora fork, bontrager everything else

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2007

Strengths:    X-9 rear derailleur and X-7 shifters are great for the price.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager sucks to the extreme. I replaced the tires after a few months of riding mostly on calm fire road and hard pack without many rocks. The Bontrager seatpost and quick release allow a lot of slipping unless you tighten it really really hard. The left crank simply fell off without much warning (although it felt loose a few days before without any reason for the loosening). This also happened to my friend with the same model. The wheels have probably not been true since the first ride.

Bottom Line:
For the price, this is a very good bike. I am not a fan of Bontrager as most of their products seem to be crap. I'll be upgrading to and X.0 derailleur, some flatbars, as well as a new crankset and some crank bros pedals in the near future, which will probably improve this bike's performance by a lot.

It survived a 19 miles Sea Otter XC race without a single problem (except for a few that existed due to a crappy tune-up beforehand, but no fault of the bike's).

It's fun to ride and it can hold its own but if you're looking for a really excellent stock hardtail look for something more expensive. Otherwise it is a good platform to upgrade from, which is what I'm doing.

Purchased At:   Sunshine Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 800 '05 (or '04?) which was stolen

Bike Setup:   Stock everything except for a longer FSA stem and some Specialized tires.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Carol Stream IL

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    This review is for the '07 model: the bike is prety light, it comes with avid juicy 3 which are way better than the hayes breaks on the '06 model, the fork is good and never seems to jam up. X-9 deraileur, cool paint job

Weaknesses:    the tires slip on almost everything so i replaced them with Michellin All mountain tires. the seat is un comfortable. front shock only has 85mm of travel wich is ok but 100mm would be better. the grips hurt your hands if you are not weariing gloves.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike if you are starting to get in to mountain biking and want a better bike. im never going to buy a Trek ever again because all of the technology on their bikes is 5 years behind. im gonna get a specialized because they are better and are made in the USA.

Favorite Trail:   a place by my house

Purchased At:   Praire Path Cycles