Trek 6700 Disc XC Hardtail

4.42/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Austin a Weekend Warrior from San Anselmo, Marin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Cool frame design, good fork(RS pilot sl), good wieght.

Weaknesses:    Components could be better, bontrager select is not that good, bad stock tires

Bottom Line:
Its a good bike for the XC rider who likes the downhills, and likes to do tricks. It's kinda cheap for Trek's top of the line aluminum hard tail, but its pretty good for a beginer to intermediate level bike. It's good for up-hill because it's light, and a hrdtail. I think I will use it as a urban trials bike, or a dirt-jumping bike after I get a new bike.

Favorite Trail:   five corners

Purchased At:   Sunshine Bikes, Fairfax

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Under stated no nonsense appearance. Zesty ride, light wieght and fast.

Weaknesses:    Limited to 2.1 tyres and short forks.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike, my first MTB, back in 1999. Didn't know much about MTB's back then and bought it because it was matte black.

The bike's covered a good six thousand miles in several countries. Survived being chucked on planes in cardboard boxes and has just delivered consistently.

Now that some of the stock part need replacing it's just getting better all the time. It now has full XT front and rear, hollow tech II cranks, Thompson seat post and stem, DT Swiss rims on Hope Pro II hubs, Avis Juicy 5 up front and I'm still running the stock RS Judy fork.(Which will probally be replaced soon with a RS Revelation).

As you can imagin in seven years of market trends it's been very tempting to just replace stuff for the sake of it but I've resisted and now it seems we've come a full circle with high quality hard tails being the bike of the moment yet again.

If you're more into your riding than your bike you'll love it. It's got lively handling, fast acceleation, a ride character that I haven't found on loads of other bikes I've ridden. If you've got a good frame to start with you can't go wrong. when I eventually have to replace this frame I'll probally go the Cove Hummer route. Quite a fancy a Ti frame next. But the way this Trek is going that could be a long way off.

Bike Setup:   After hammering this bike for 7 years some of the stock parts are wearing and being replaced with XT, Thompson, DT Swiss rims on Hope Pro II hubs etc...

Submitted by Kathleen Ordway a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Comes with pretty good components for the price. Can be equipped with disc brakes without new hubs.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Great bike for commuting. I've had to increase the weight to make it commuter friendly, so the weight really wasn't an issue from the get go anyway. I'm happy with my purchase and would buy one again.

Favorite Trail:   Ute Valley

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper

Bike Setup:   Bontrager stock stuff with added commuter set-up(cat eye head light, rear led light, ice cream bell, mud flap for the back tire, and knobbies for snow).

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Crofton, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Strengths:    I love this bike! The frame is stiff and responsive, the grupo is middle of the line cheap enough to afford and nice enough to use. Disk brake for this price and they work too. Have ridden 40+ miles and no undo strain on back or arms. Shifting is precice and quick.

Weaknesses:    Forks are a bit heavy and outdated and pedals should be canned and replaced.

Bottom Line:
a great bike for the money, good place to start with a solid frame, whole bike is race ready but cheap enough for a budget can replace and upgrade components over time or later.

Favorite Trail:   Rubicon Trail

Purchased At:   bikedoctor crofton

Similar Products Used:   Trek 100, Specialized rock hard.

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Dublin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    Geometry for myself is awsome. Bike is light and handles like a champ even for what I do.

Weaknesses:    Front fork is HEAVY! I replaced mine with a Manitou Skareb Super and it lightened up the bike so much...not to mention more travel. Components are decent, but can be better.

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike in my opinion for the money. I purchased the 6700 w/o Discs and ended buying some Avid BB7's. After the new brakes, levers and fork...the bike was instantly a CHAMP. Components can be upgraded as they wear out, but are decent for XC. I have an Trek Fuel EX8 and to be honest, this 6700 is awsome and is bascally up to par on the trails for a hardtail. Definately a bike Im going to hold on to if I dont feel like riding my Fuel EX8.

Bike Setup:   05 Trek 6700, Avid Mechanical BB7's, Manitou Skareb Super 100mm, Avid Ti Levers

Submitted by ALFONSE a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    This frame is bulletproof, and light. Takes all kinds of abuse.
Great brakes for a bike in this pricerange

Weaknesses:    Bontrager compnents are generally crap, except for the wheelset, which strangely enough, i am having no problems with.

Bottom Line:
I switched most things, save the brakes, cassette and wheels/tires. That being said, I am in love with the frame and plan to do nasty things to it in the near future.

Out of the box, this bike gives you an amazing package of quality and performance, and the frame itself is a damn good starting block for building up a bike that is really yours.

Favorite Trail:   Kanata Lakes

Similar Products Used:   2000 Norco Torrent, Giant Iguana/Rainier, Trek 4900, 8000

Bike Setup:   Raceface Crank/BB, Raceface next lowrise carbonbar w/goodnevil grips, thomson stem/seatpost, XT front and rear, candy SL pedals, WTB saddle, FOX float 100 fork.

Submitted by Eddie a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, good, dependable shifters/derailleurs. Front fork is top notch for this price range as far as I'm concerned. They're adjustable to your size and preferences using air pressure. Brakes are top notch, better than the brakes on my new car, they offer optimum control on downhills. Very dependable and well balanced feel for a larger rider like myself (6'3", 220).

Weaknesses:    The disc brakes may cause some friction and noise if not lined up correctly will disc on wheel. Easily fixed, though.

Bottom Line:
A lot of bike for someone who wants a good hardtail that could be used for just about any type of riding. The tires are definitely for off-road use and are not the best for lots of road biking, especially climbing grades on pavement or paved paths as they are quite knobby. The bike handles dirt trails like it was born for them, which is the main way I use mine. It has a reliable feel to it, as well as a lightweight set up with its frame and solid components. The fork is a big surprise, much better than a comparable Manitou found on a comparable Specialized hardtail. Has a race feel to it for about $900. Disc brakes are worth it, however I'm sure the bike is great without them too. This is one of the best buys I've ever made, period.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek, Red Rocks, Morrison

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Chris Proskie a Downhiller from Regina, Sask Canada

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2004

Strengths:    Nice fork, nice brakes, nice color.

Weaknesses:    doesn't come in my size

Bottom Line:
I've riden this bike a million times, although it is a inch and a half too big for me. Smooth ride and it takes a pounding... even though I've just tested the bike I've put it through hell. The store owner wasn't too happy when I dropped off the store roof but it prooved that its a good bike. For anyone looking for a great bike for starting out with I'd say this is a great bike, in my opinion a little pricey but I think a big mac and McDondles is pricey...

Favorite Trail:   Anything they say I can't do

Purchased At:   Western Cycle Source For Sports

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Tyler Moore a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Strengths:    just about everything, this bike is great

Weaknesses:    seatpost slides on rough trails, and the pedals are horrible in mud

Bottom Line:
Had the same seat post sliding problems as others reported. Not a huge problem when it just drops down, but the twisting has lead to some bad rubbing. The pedals are horrible. They're not bad on roads, but the first time I took it out on the trails, within two minutes they were clogged in mud and completely worthless. Even the slightest bit of dirt makes popping out difficult. having one side as a platform is useful for riding around campus, but quite annoying trying to clip in when in a hurry on the trails. I'm planning on upgrading to eggbeaters soon, and would recommend the same to anyone planning on going through any mud, even the slightest bit.
It's my first real mountain bike, and it's lived up to every expectation I had and more. The disc brakes are excellent. Wasn't expecting to get hydraulic brakes on anything under $1000, and they haven't let me down yet. They do get fussy right after taking the wheels off for transport, but that's mostly my fault for how they're handled in the process.
In the few times I've taken it to the trails, it's seen some nasty spills, but has gotten up in better condition than me after each one, not a single scratch on it. This bike is perfect for any serious beginner, or anyone looking for quality under $1000. It hasn't let me down yet, and is showing no signs that it ever will.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Cody Carver a Cross Country Rider from Soldotna, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2004

Strengths:    it has a good frame, the rock shox pilot sl shocks are nice, the hayes disk brake are great, they stop on the dime, and the color of the bike is nice.

Weaknesses:    The only thing that is bad about it is that the seat post slides down and twists so i have to adjust it every now and then. but i don't mind adjusting it so it's not that big of a problem.

Bottom Line:
If you want a bike that is capable of racing, and want to go trail riding, or ride on the road, this bike is for you. it is a fast, quick responding bike and i would reccommend it to anyone!!!

Favorite Trail:   crescent lake

Purchased At:   the bike loft

Similar Products Used:   NONE!

Bike Setup:   well I have a Vetta computer and a cat eye light on my bar, I have a small pedros wedge seat pak, I put a topeak front fender (defender) on,and i have a modified trek rack.

Submitted by Francisco Ortiz a Weekend Warrior from Santo Domingo

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Strengths:    Solid Frame, Great Brakes, Components seem reliable.

Weaknesses:    Brakes Making Noise out of the box, a little heavy for my taste.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike, love the frame color and all, hate the fact that the brakes are making noise so early into the game but lets see if that can be resolved, honestly the bike is a great buy considering down here everything is expensive, ill be soon to upgrade the casette, derailleurs and bb to XT and truvativ titanium BB, plus im switching my cranks rings to aluminum ones instead of the stock cromoly ones, with these in place i should shave a pund or pund and half more from the bike bringing it down to a very comfortable weight for a disc bike, good all around i highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   none specific

Purchased At:   Planet Bike

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher.Trek 7000,GT avalanche,Jamis,Giant Etc

Bike Setup:   Stock Mostly, except i took my LX mecha 9 shifter,barend,and handle bar off my old Avalanche which
was mecha 9 upgraded, also switched to a bontrager race seat post and Selle Flite Titanium saddle, never used rock shox pilot as i immediately installed my Duke Race XC's i had, 2004 model by the way,with these i lowered bought a pound

Submitted by Patrick Patterson a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    Very good components group for under $1000. The frame is strong and the Rock Shox Pilot SL handles like a SID but weighs a little more. The Hayes HFX-9 Brakes are truly amazing, I will never go back to a rim brake again!

Weaknesses:    When riding on hard trails the seat post will not stay tight but that really does not bother me. Other thin that the bike is fine.

Bottom Line:
If your not trying to be a world class XC racer, but want a high performance XC bike, the Trek 6700 is the way to go. Also you can check out Fisher's Big Sur Disc, my roomate has one and it rides like my Trek.

Favorite Trail:   Lake McMurtry

Purchased At:   Lee's Bicycles in Tulsa

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Big Hit free ride bike and a Cannondale R600 road bike

Bike Setup:   Alpha SLR Frame with Rock Shox Pilot SL fork. Deore/LX derailers and deore shifting. I added Bontrager bar ends, frame pump, watter bottle cage, lizard skin chain stay protector, and a trek seat bag.

09 Trek 6000 for $600 or 02 6700 Disc for $400?

Both appear to be in great condition. 6700 is older but Shimano hydraulics are reviewed much more favorable then Avid mechanical B55s. Both being same condition would you buy the 6700 and buffer $200 for upgrades/fixes or bank on the new 6000?Read More »

rockhopper comp disc or trek 6700

i am new in the mtb world and im planning to buy a cool bike. im looking to buy maybe specialized rockhopper comp disc or trek 6 series 6700. which one do you prefer, any suggestions? thanks.Read More »

Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 vs Trek 6700 disc

Okay so I went from getting a suspension bike to a hardtail but trying to figure out which is a better deal. I will be doing DH but lots of trail riding also. The Trek is missing the front fork but in all reality the IH front fork I would probably replace anyways.......Here are the facts..... [CO ... Read More »

Rockhopper Comp Disc or Trek 6700 Disc?

I am having a tuff time deciding between the 2007 Rockhopper Comp Disc or the 2007 Trek 6700 Disc mountain bike. I am 30 years, 5' 7" and weigh 175. I am riding a combo of single track trail and some pavement/ logging roads. I will also be using the bike to compete in Adventure Races. My budg ... Read More »

Cannondale Caffeine F3 vs Trek 6700 Disc - HOSS

Hello Everyone, I have given up on my project to upgrade the fork in my Hardrock and have decided to just buy a new bike. I want the upgraded components and the new gear. :thumbsup: I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: Cannondale Caffeine F3 or the Trek 6700 Disc. The Caffeine F3 is $100 ... Read More »