Trek 6500 XC Hardtail

4.44/5 (25 Reviews)

You're ready—for longer days on the bike, for tougher challenges on the trail, for the next class up at the race.
  • Frame: Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, twin taper down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, wishbone seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: RockShox Recon Gold Air w/rebound, remote lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano alloy M525 hubs; Bontrager Ranger 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano M590, 9 speed

Submitted by Tanzol a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame and shifting is smooth, very well balanced for everyday riding, this bike is made for off road terrains.

Weaknesses:    Seat uncomfortable and the tora fork is mid level at best, mainly because has a slow oil leak, so as good as this bike is it would benefit with a fork upgrade. Also the brakes are not as solid as other hydraulic brakes, but get the job done.

Bottom Line:
Great all-around bike, but This bike is happiest when taken off road and is a huge upgrade from a bike costing less. This bike would be perfect with some fox forks.

Favorite Trail:   Most Colorado blues and blacks

Purchased At:   Craig's list

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, GT full suspension, schwinn and unfortunately a k2 zed

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    Great component set for the price (XT rear derail, solid Shimano brakes). Trek has such great R&D dept. and are able to include components that often are only found on more expensive competition.

Weaknesses:    Bontragger wheels and tires are not great. I have put on Kenda Nevegal's and now it grips/climbs like a goat.

Bottom Line:
Fully capable hardtail. Trek makes solid bikes and this one is no different. If you do a lot of xc and trail riding but don't want or have the $$ for a decent full suspension then this is a great option.

Purchased At:   Pure Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Hammer, Marin Hawk Hill.

Submitted by Arundul a Weekend Warrior from waterloo ontario canada

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is really light and has good components Hayes hydraulic brakes and manitou slate shock works great

Weaknesses:    seats a little uncomfortable and when the grips get wet its hard to hold on real tight without gloves

Bottom Line:
great bike haven't ridden it to much yet but seems to be a solid ride the lockout works great on the fork and the brakes are really grip and it goes fast

Favorite Trail:   WCC hydro cut

Purchased At:   another weekend warr

Similar Products Used:   K2 Zed 3.3

Bike Setup:   Manitou slate fork Shimano deore components specialized the captain tires

Submitted by robby a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ.

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    value, quality frame, color,
lifetime frame warranty

Weaknesses:    front Manitou axle shock, seat

Bottom Line:
great bike - excellent value
reliable bike

Purchased At:   Swiss American Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona MTB

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post and Azonic stem

Submitted by mecheng77 a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Strengths:    Very light, I believe it is only 26.5 lbs which is incredible for the price. Solid frame, good components, great for climbing and after 10yrs it is still going strong.

Weaknesses:    The chain broke a few times, but after taking out some links it is still original. The seat post started slipping after 10 years of use, can't complain I guess. Cheap pedals and tires.

Bottom Line:
After 10 years of xc riding still an amazing bike both reliable and performance wise. No doubt in part because it is Made in the USA. Sadly, they are all Made in China now, which is why I will keep this bike forever! I know it will last, the quality of the welds are incredible, much better than some of the new bikes.

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Bike Setup:   Race Face Evolve seat post, Panaracer Tires, SPD Pedals.

Submitted by kdihlong a Weekend Warrior from Tavares, FL USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    Solid Bike, Shifts great. I'm a big guy and my other bike (Trek 3700) didn't like to shift when I pushed it hard. This bike doesn't miss a beat.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and you can't beat the price. I don't know how old it is, but it rides like new.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3700

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by centershot a Weekend Warrior from Twin Falls, Idaho USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent Frame, Awesome Brakes, Nice Fork and overall groupo.

Weaknesses:    Stock Saddle

Bottom Line:
1000 plus miles and no problems or complaints. Bike climbs like a billy goat and tracks the downhill trails fast as you want to go. This was the bike where the parts and price came together. A worthy commuter and awesome weekend trail machine. To get much better and lighter the price tag goes up very quickly.

Favorite Trail:   Fisher Cr./Williams Cr. Loop

Purchased At:   Spoke and Wheel

Similar Products Used:   Klein Pinnacle XT - 20 years on that bike, time for a new one!

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ WTB Pure V Saddle and Shimano 520 clipless pedals.

Submitted by Cozmo a Weekend Warrior from inver grove heights, MN USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    great up hill. Great for just riding around or mega cross crountry trips. Great for riding to school.

Weaknesses:    mine doesnt have a kickstand :( but i will get on (great for school)

Bottom Line:
G R E A T
X W O
F
T U
N

Favorite Trail:   windy woods

Purchased At:   a police bike auctio

Similar Products Used:   i have had 3 other bikes a barbie bike and a schwinn and a giant mtx 400

Bike Setup:   front shocks. silver and dark purple.

Submitted by lelandvi a Cross Country Rider from tallahassee, Florida, US

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2009

Strengths:    I am really impressed with the frame and the hydrolic disc brakes. The bike is light weight and easily controllable on any terrain. It handles uphill and downhill very well.

Weaknesses:    The SRAM PC 950 cassette that came with it had to be replaced with in the first week because the teeth in the 9th gear stripped out destroying the chain as well. The seat could be a little better but I'm getting used to it. Also the front fork is a little sqeaky, a lot of bikes have that problem when they are new but I have ridden it over 75 miles in 9 days off road and have not had it lighten up.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and I would by it again. It has been very reliable. I would upgrade a few components as I have and pay the extra couple hundred bucks to have a bike that will last you a lifetime.

Favorite Trail:   Clawhammer in NC

Purchased At:   Sunshine Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500 (02), Specialized RockHopper Pro and StumpJumper SWorks, Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL.

Bike Setup:   Fork: RockShox Tora SL, Frame: Alpha Black Aluminum, Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore, Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT, Crankset: Shimano XT, Shifters: 9 speed XT, Saddle: Bontrager Race Basic.

Submitted by rcarey a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, awesome frame design/geometry, good stock specs.

Weaknesses:    While it's light, it could be a bit lighter... I'm working on it.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. I am the most indecisive person in the world and have been considering a new bike for a couple months now. I've been riding a 4500 for the last couple years and it's just not enough bike for me any more. After a few upgrades, I decided I needed a more agressive/capable bike. I was gonna go full suspension, but I like the speed of the hard tails. Tested the GF Piranha, which was sweet with nice specs, but not quite up to par. The frame seemed a little 'lower end'.

The 6500 is fast. Was gonna go with the 6000, but for a couple hundred more the 6500 gets you into hydrolic breaks and a better fork, as well as a few other upgraded components.

Overall I'm really happy wiht this bike so far. I've only had it for a couple days, but have already ridden it hard on both fast racing loops and some more rugged trails. Handles inclines like a champ. Washes and short, steep climbs that gave me some trouble on the 4500 are cake with this ride.

Favorite Trail:   The Trail of Most Resistance

Purchased At:   AZ Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   4500, GF Piranha, EX 7 (not similar, but considered)

Bike Setup:   2009 stock setup currently

Submitted by ptizzle a Cross Country Rider from Stevenson, MD

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, components

Bottom Line:
This is a great ride. After reading the other reviews, I realized that mine came with Manitou Magnum folk, which has performed very well. I have beaten this bike harder than the old Subaru I bought in high school, and like that car, this bike won't die. I have a Fuel for races, but use this bike almost every w/end, and it has bounced down countless hills (with me rolling behind it!). With basic maintenence and yearly professional tune-ups, this bike will serve the average "Weekend Warrior" rider very well for the money.

Bottom line? One of the best bikes out there for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Avalon

Purchased At:   Joe's Mt. Washington

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jason Newmark a Weekend Warrior from Southern California

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2008

Strengths:    Rigid, durable frame really takes a beating. Very good control on fast downhills. Don't need to be as discerning as you would think on a hardtail. Great starting bike!!!

Weaknesses:    Stock components leave a bit to be desired. The frame is a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
This bike was the most I could afford when I decided to start mountain biking. Very happy with the overall performance and durability.

Bike Setup:   Mix of Deore LX, XT, and XTR components; Monkey Lite handlebars; avid non-hydraulic brakes.

Submitted by Leonardo Horovitz a Cross Country Rider from Montevideo, Uruguay

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    Rides beautifully.
Very rigid frame.
Very reliable bike.
Good components for the price (XT rear derailleur is awesome!!!).
Very good geometry.

Weaknesses:    Seat is not "sporty" enough.
The fork (manitou axel) is too stiff some times.
Kind of heavy for the price range (mine is about 13.4 Kg, with disc brakes).

Bottom Line:
Very happy with it.
I should have bought it with hydraulic disc brakes. I ended up buying them myself.

Purchased At:   Trek Montevideo