Trek 6000 XC Hardtail

4.24/5 (49 Reviews)

You're ready—for longer days on the bike, for tougher challenges on the trail, for the next class up at the race.

• Frame: Alpha Gold Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour XCR-RL w/coil spring, preload, remote lockout, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano M435 alloy hubs; Bontrager AT-850 disc 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore M591, 10 speed

Trek 6000 XC Hardtail Pro Review

Our Trek 6000 came setup as follows: Suspension in the form of the RockShox Dart 3 fork with 4 inches of travel (external preload and rebound control with lock out), SRAM X.5 trigger shifters as well as front & rear deraillerurs. Shimano M442 cranks and chainrings mated to a SRAM PG950 cassette, Avid BB-5 mechanical disc brakes/ Tektro levers, Bontrager Ranger rims wrapped in Bontrager Jones XR rubber and finally a Bontrager riser bar rounds out the cockpit package. Continue reading →

Submitted by Aleks

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2014

Strengths:    I recently started to drive quality bike. Before you meet with Trek - Star Trek :). Amazing bike! As a beginner um fascinated by its possibilities! Climbs incredibly well and with ease. Speeds switch crying. The brakes are excellent! I'm still a beginner, but I triathlete friend who introduced me to professional cycling. It cools too was fascinated by bicycle! Great bike ride with him pleasure to work and I thought rather than trips to other cities in the mountains :)!

Weaknesses:
Still familiar with the bike and I have no comment! The seat is not original with me, and brand Studies, but for now I am ok

Bottom Line:
Overall I'm delighted with the bike! I think it's an excellent start for me first in professional cycling

Submitted by Shaniac a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    Solid light weight hydro formed frame, very responsive, great climber

Weaknesses:    As with most store bought bikes...toss the saddle!

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike on several single track trails here in the low country of Charleston, SC as well as the hilly trails of Poinsett State Park near Sumter, SC. All around this is a great bike as it is very responsive in corners and climbs very well! The majority of the bikes parts are beginning level to entry level parts. Even though the SRAM X5 gearset is mediocre, I have not had any issues whatsoever and with SRAM's 1:1 Actuation derailleurs, the shifting is smooth and precise, even on the bumpiest root infested trails. The Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes are a nice addition as opposed to cantilever rim brakes which means you obtain much better braking in wet conditions.
I have only had to replace the chain once due to a damaged link but I replaced the PC-951 with the nickel plated PC-991, which seemed to enhance the already smooth and precise shifting you get from the X5 components.
My only gripe is the horrible prostate bashing saddle that came with the bike but I replaced it after a few rides.
If you are looking for a great hardtail mountain bike that will tear up most single track trails just over 1K...I would strongly recommend this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Marrington Plantation

Duration Product Used:   3+ years

Purchased At:   Trek Bicycle Store o

Bike Setup:   SRAM X5 components
Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes
Rock Shox Dart 3 forks
Truvativ cranks
Bontrager stem, handle bars, seat post and rims
SRAM PC-991 9-speed chain
Selle SMP Stratos Saddle
Shimano XTR Trail clipless pedals

Submitted by skip malibu a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2011

Strengths:    Trek 6000, nice lines and colours, nice frame with good geometry and reactions. When she's all tuned and adjusted just right its a nice feeling ride. I ride intermediate single track fairly hard and she lets me maintain a nice fluid rhythm.

Weaknesses:    After being broken in I expected tuning to last longer. I ride 3 times a week for 40 to 80 minutes of constant climbing then intermediate single track downhill. Front and rear derailleurs need tuning every couple of weeks. Brakes also need too frequent adjustment and come out of adjustment suddenly even in the middle of a ride. Downright dangerous. Best to learn how to tune your bike and pack your kit with you.

Bottom Line:
For the money its a nice looking nice riding beginner to intermediate XC bike that adapts well to moderate downhill single track play time. Drivetrain and brakes don't hold their tunes long enough. Too expensive to maintain if you're paying a mechanic everytime for tuneups. I could have bought an 09 Rocky Mountain Trailhead for $300 more which might have been a better buy because I understand it's Shimano drivetrain will need less tuning.

Favorite Trail:   SFU's Joe's and Mel's Trails

Purchased At:   Cap's (New Westminst

Bike Setup:   Sram x5, Avid BB5, Dart 3 fork

Submitted by minuteman228 a Cross Country Rider from Gilbert, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2011

Strengths:    Fast. This bike moves and climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side. Wheels make up most of it. Jones XC tires are P.O.S. Mech brakes tend to need constant alignment. I've read a lot of complaints about the saddle. While it's not the best thing out there, I don't find it horrible either. Hey, bike's a hardtail. If you don't know how to get up on the bike when it's due, any saddle will feel like Mike Tyson's boxing glove on a KO swing.

Bottom Line:
Upgraded the following :
a. Bontrager wheels with Deore XT's UST
b. Jones XC tires with Specialized Captains 2bliss.
c. Replaced stock mech disc brakes with Tektro Draco hydraulics.
I can live with the SRAM drive train for now, but the Dart 3 shox definitely gotta go.

Dropped quite a bit of weight and got a very noticeable performance improvement.

Trek nailed the bike's geometry. Albeit an average component set, the bike is fast. It holds its own on climbs too. Very efficient! Can't wait to put FOX 100mm shox and a Deore XT drive train on this baby. I'm givin' it 4 flamers

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic South Mountain

Purchased At:   B&G Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Haro HT. Specialized Stumpjumper Elite FSR.

Bike Setup:   Deore XT wheelset. Specialized Captains, Tektro Draco hydraulic brakes.

Submitted by neilthemeal a Weekend Warrior from OR

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Performance for the dollar
Frame seems really nice
No "weak points", i.e. stuff I want to change
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Heavier, ~30 pounds

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2009, and quite frankly Trek doesn't really have a bike like this anymore. I find the 2009 to be very no-nonsense throughout its spec. It's got a Dart 3 fork, Avid BB5 brakes and Sram X5 nine speed. None of these components on their own are something to write home about, but at the same time my first summer mountain biking I never really thought the bike was ever holding me back because everything works pretty well. With all of that said, if I were shopping today, cash in hand, I'd probably go for the 2012 Giant Revel 0, as it's essentially the same spec as my 2009 6000.

If you come across a 2009 6000, buy it if you are looking for a bike that didn't make a sacrifice in one part of the spec for another. It's a good entry level hardtail all the way through. It's got Trek's higher level geometry and the frame seems really nice. Trek finishes their bikes well and stands behind them

Similar Products Used:   tested about every bike I could find that was priced between $400 and $650.

Bike Setup:   Stock except Dart spring changed to soft

Submitted by The BillyGoat 6000 a Downhiller from leesburg VA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    its a very good bike to start with as it comes standard with 27 speeds, mechanical disc brakes, bontrager components, and a decent rockshox dart 3 with lockout, preload, and rebound adjustments

Weaknesses:    not very well speced for DH due to its long stem, short width handlebar, high standover, cross country wheels and cranks

Bottom Line:
If youre a begenner mountain biker or want a bike to pimp out over time and have the components already on there its great. another thing is the value, its outstanding so if youre stacked for cash or want a fun bike i would get the 6000

Favorite Trail:   sheaffer

Purchased At:   spokes etc

Bike Setup:   2x9 with a sram x7 rear, upgrading soon to aonic outlaws, kenda nevengal 2.1 front and maxxis cross mark 2.1 rear more upgrades soon to come but as is it is a very capable bike for me considering im only 100 pounds.

Submitted by Jube a Downhiller from South Jersey, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    Great componenet mix. Frame geometry, Overall Value. Great paint job

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy side for a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2011 model. i've been riding mountain bikes for over 20 years. recently i've been more into the gravity riding but my wife still rides XC. i wanted to get back to the basics so i bought a hardtail. i didn't want to spend a lot of money since i have 2 other bikes. after comparing i found the Trek 6000 best value for the money. when i went to the shop i compared the 2010 to 2011. for about $100 more the 2011 had better forks, hydraulic discs and sram drivetrain. It's a solid well built XC bike. it feels heavy when you pick it up but on the trail it's very light and responsive. the brakes work great, shifting is crisp and it climbs like a monkey. i could esily throw a number plate on it and race it next weekend. eventually i want to upgrade the cranks and wheelset to shed a few pounds. if you are looking at this model don't settle for the 2010, the 2011 is without a doubt wort every penny. i've ridden many many bikes in my time and this is one of the best bikes dollar for dollar.

Favorite Trail:   diablo freeride Park

Purchased At:   D&Q

Similar Products Used:   cannondale M5, Speacialized rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Stock Except for shimano-SPD pedals

Submitted by Cudaah a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Love the 6000 frame with a more race inspired seating position.

Weaknesses:    Didnt care for the saddle.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike 2 weeks ago and have put over 125 miles on it. Should have bought a quality bike long ago. I am one happy camper!!!

Similar Products Used:   Tested many bikes. A trek 4500 disk, Gary Fisher Wahoo and Malin, and Specialized Comp Disk. Numerous department store bikes.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to a WTB Pro v gel saddle

Submitted by OKiemtber a Weekend Warrior from Norman, Ok, United States

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strong frame, decent beginner component spec.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, and I am not a fan of Bontrager saddles.

Bottom Line:
Being a college student, I don't have the money to buy the bike of my dreams. After riding Trek hardtails before, and seeing a review in MBaction of this bike, I decided on the 6000. The frame is great, and is quite capable and very rigid. With the changes I have made, I have dropped a little over 2 lbs off of the bike. It weighs around 27 lbs, but it is still a little heavy.

The component spec from Trek is fairly good, but with a few changes it can be better. My plan is to upgrade the fork, brakes and wheels. This depends on whether I can find good deals on quality products to save weight that won't put me in debt.

Overall, this bike is great for beginners and Trek knows how to build a great hardtail with spot on geometry. I would recommend this bike to anyone wanting to get into this awesome sport.

Favorite Trail:   Draper

Purchased At:   Al's

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Specialized Phenom saddle, Easton EA70 100mm stem, Easton Monkeylite xc bar cut to 26in., ODI Ruffian lock-on grips, Kenda Nevegal tires, Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by MaKn a Cross Country Rider from Riverside, CA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frame with nice geometry.
Comfortable ride.
Good value.
Upgradable.

Bottom Line:
The Trek 6000 is a solid choice for a mid/entry level hardtail. It hits the "sweet spot" between value, performance, comfort, and upgradability. The Dart3 fork is ok, but should be one of the first things to upgrade.
I chose the Trek 6000 because of its smooth ride and great feel. It has a solid build but isn't too heavy, and has a good group of components (can be upgraded in the future as needed). Its just an all-around great bike that's fun to ride.

Purchased At:   Cyclery USA

Similar Products Used:   Marin Hawk Hill
Trek 4300
Haro FlightLine

Bike Setup:   09 Trek 6000 / Tora 318 / Deore & XT Drivetrain / DMR v12 Mag pedals

Submitted by Jarque a Cross Country Rider from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2010

Strengths:    good geometry, durable frame, looks cool, brakes are perfect for the price, good shape of low rised handlebars

Weaknesses:    Fork is heavy crap which doesn´t work properly, heavy (but what you can expect for the price...) stock saddle and grips are uncomfy, stock pedals - better buy some clipless

Bottom Line:
Really nice bike for hobby riders, except fork - better to change it for some better, lighter, air fork (for example suntour epicon)

Favorite Trail:   Zábelá, Krušky

Bike Setup:   Stock setup - shimano deore, RS dart 2, avid juicy 3, new saddle - fizik aliante xm, new syncross grips, shimano M520 pedals, new tires - schwalbe racing ralph 2.25, ritchey z-max intuition/premontion

Submitted by nick 6000 a Weekend Warrior from pa

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    avid disk brakes, rock shock dark 3 fork, shram double under shifters, 9 speed set up,

Weaknesses:    seat

Bottom Line:
The 2009 trek 6000 is one sweet bike. It really blows my old 3700 out of the water. I have the 18.5 inch frame and I cant beleive how comfortable I feel on the bike. I dont feel streched out and im more confident going over any trail obstical. The bike is very fast compared to my 3700. (You had to kill yourself pedelling to get that thing out of its own way.) I love the double under shram shifters with the 9 speed set up. The bikes shifts are super firm and tight with no lock ups. The avid disk brakes perform awesome even in wet conditions. The rock shock dart 3 fork has a lock out so you fly on paved roads without boucing up and down. This bike is by far one of the sharpest bikes out there. (I love the matte black and grey.) Overall the trek 6000 is a solid, comfortable and fun bike to ride. I would recomend this bike to any intermediate riders.

Favorite Trail:   bear creek

Purchased At:   bike line

Similar Products Used:   trek 3700

Bike Setup:   18.5 inch frame

Submitted by dimalinch a Racer from Vancouver, WA USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    great for entry level riding, Very Stable, you can feel confident doing jumps and technical trails without worrying that something will break on the way down.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Frame is weak on the Chain Stay, Rear hub went out within a year. Had to replace the cassette 3 times in one year!

Bottom Line:
First off, I will always love this bike since This was my first real mtb, I used it heavily (daily at least 4 miles, and many long distance 20miles+ /singletrack rides) for a year before the frame finally went out on me. for entry level this is an awesome bike, solid, reliable and capable. The frame cracked on the right side chainstay (it looks like from the reviews i wasn't the only one who had this problem), Trek replaced it within a month with an 09 8500 frame! worth the upgrade :D

Favorite Trail:   Swampy Lake Bend, OR

Purchased At:   Vancouver Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500 Frame

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000 Stock

Submitted by duleonar a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Strengths:    looks great, very durable

Weaknesses:    bit heavy, but its a 6000 not a 9.9

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. It was my very first mtn bike ~10 yrs ago. I have since then replaced it with a Trek 8000, and converted the 6000 to a daily commuter. Other than typical drivetrain wear n tear, I have only had 1 issue with this bike. My right shift lost a screw out of the bottom, which release the guts of my shifter like the bay doors of a bomber. Lets just say I was in for a surprise the next time I went to shift, and my thumb just dry fired due to the missing pieces.

I've got skinnier tire, a rear rack, and a fender I made from an old tire mounted on it now for commuting. It is a great commuter, if your route is rough. Its strength gives me the option to hit some dirt if needed.

I give this bike 4 chilis for value, because it is a great bike that is very versitle. This bike is essentially my car. We have 1 car for our family of 5. This bike has a high value to me, and for me to trust it that much should say a little about its value on its own.

I give it a 4 chili overall rating, because it certainly isn't the lightest, most responsive, or made of steel or TI mtb/commuter out there. The shock dates itself just by the diameter of the tubes. They are super skinny!!!

If you're researching for your next race bike, look elsewhere.

If you're at a garage sale and come across one, grab it and rejoice in your excellent find.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the DA's or A-mtn