Trek 4500 XC Hardtail

• Alpha SL Aluminum
  • Bontrager Camino rims

Submitted by jehod

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2013

Strengths:    Heavy solid bike.Takes a lot of abuse.

Weaknesses:    Heavy bike. Components will need replacement, but probably no more than can be expected.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from a 4300 to this bike, as the bike I would keep in Thailand. I teach there for about 11 weeks each winter, and put on 2700 K+ each trip. I do most of my riding on a park track, but I do ride on downtown Bangkok's city streets also. I've toured around the country and Laos on this bike amongst paddy fields and highly irregular pavements. Bangkok's notorious city traffic is the real test though, and this bike has been a champ with over fifteen thousand kilometers on it. I've replaced the chain, grips, a few brake pads, cabling to the derailleurs, softer seat (I ride it a lot, avg. 35K a day), a few sets of tires and several tubes. Really routine considering the abuse this bike has taken.
In BKK, subsidence is a real problem, on roads, pavements, et cetera.You can slam this beast hard and nothing breaks on you. Sure you wear parts out, but that's to be expected. I opted for the mountain bike as a BKK city bike with 1.75" cross tires, and ride through some of the most horrendous traffic imaginable. When it is wet, you really want disc brakes. The bike has excellent control at city traffic speed, and it's geared well for the wide variety of clambering around over 6" curbs, missing portions of pavements, and up and over klongs.
I've just upgraded to an EX 8, and am totally in love with it. It is going over to replace the 4500. For the money though, I'd have to say the 4500 is a great value and a beautiful bike. It is heavy, but I only hope my EX 8 takes the abuse as well. I'll probably keep the beast for friends to ride. It's a terribly, tough bike.

Submitted by Eduardo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    2011 model: This bike is all about its frame. A tough, lifetime warranty, aluminum frame with great geometry. As for the components, you get powerful disc brakes, decent wheels and drivetrain components.

Weaknesses:    2011 model: The suspension fork is too hard, especially for a lightweight rider, like myself. The bike is a bit heavy overall, too.

Bottom Line:
Great value, great bike. The sturdy Alpha Black Aluminum frame can handle anything. A few upgrades here and there (starting with the suspension fork) and you will have a superb trail bike.

Submitted by Kanuck

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Tough. Good components.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. SR Suntour fork is not the best.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I love the bike. It is a bit heavy, but I am a big guy so it is not a big issue for me. I have the 2011 version with the SR Suntour fork, which is not the best fork. I swapped it out for a Rockshox Recon and the difference in the bike was night and day. It also helped with the weight issue. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to get into mountain biking.

Submitted by Shaun Walsh a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    The frame is tough and durable and it is comfortable to ride. The suspension is OK for the price and the bike is built for beginners. The seat is more comfortable than most expensive bikes. The extra weight makes it ideal for cross country and riding on flat land.

Weaknesses:    The weight makes it hard to get up steep ascents however does make you fit. The suspension isn't very good for rocky/rough descents and has made me come up afew times. The pedals are not very good for off road and mine snapped and the lights broke off. The derailleurs are cheap and the chain easily comes off. The chain is cheap so easily rusts easily even when looked after. The tyres arent brilliant for muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
The biggest weakness is the weight of the bike because alot of other manufacturers e.g. cannondale are lighter for the same price. The suspension is also not great for rough terrain however it is good for beginners who are getting used to descents. The pedals ideally need upgrading for off road to alloy pedals which are around £15-£20. The chain needs looking after and cleaned after every ride out and the tyres need upgrading for ascents in muddy off road conditions.

Submitted by fudder mucker a Cross Country Rider from Montana USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    I love the 4500 i was injure ad this is the only type of excersize that i can do that doesnt make me hurt. My neighbors son owned the bike and it had been stored for 4 years or so............ So when they asked me if i could use it i jumped on the price!!! It has been the BESST 50.00 i have EVER spent... IF you have a back injury that limits anything you can do i highly reccomend the 4500.... it rides very smooth i havent had a single issue...

Weaknesses:    i am the weak link.................. Because i can not ride daily... I feel like im neglecting it !

Bottom Line:
This bike has enabled me to get out of the house and being able to get some form of exercize has been wonderful... Overall the bikes weight and the smoothness of the ride it is well worth the investment~FUDDER MUCKER

Favorite Trail:   back hills rides

Purchased At:   from neighbor

Similar Products Used:   I had a trek that was from the begining of time litterally and i liked the way it rode .......... the 4500 is the best bike ive had

Submitted by nfraser a Cross Country Rider from linlithgow scotland

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Strengths:    this bike is built like a tank

Weaknesses:    it is not that relible

Bottom Line:
This is a great handling bike, well built and a great up hill bike. when i first tried it it was perfect, comfy and its brakes are great but after one month the chain connector came off. After fixing it every thing was going well untill the Front Derailleur came off, getting it fixed every thing was getting better untill the chain snapped and for someone who's friends have all just got new bikes it is a huge imbarissment as there bikes cost less and are better spect up. Over all this bike is great but is overpriced and i have had lots of problems with reliability.

Favorite Trail:   avon heritage trail

Purchased At:   alpine bikes

Similar Products Used:   most things

Submitted by xc/mxracer a Racer from ringwood,nj usa

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    durable comfortable handles amazing
tracks good brakes are amazing
it has a really low gear so the heaviness doesn't affect riding it

Weaknesses:    heaviest bike ive ever had

Bottom Line:
get it
use it for a couple years but when im done with it im going for a fuel ex. so far this is the best bike ive ever had besides the weight and it looks really cool.

Favorite Trail:   red trail

shimano spd pedals
lake mx 85 shoes sr suntour xcw 2 front shock

Submitted by Paragon1,555 a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2010

Strengths:    Tough, reliable, wheelies.

Weaknesses:    38Lbs. Outside of that, none at all.

Bottom Line:
This bike has held up to every thing. Insane trails, 40.4MPH, 1/10 mile long wheelies, bunny hops, and jumps. This is a bike that can do anything, anywhere, anytime. I would recommend it to any one looking for a tough entry level bike. The only thing I can complain about is that the 2004 model weighs 38Lbs. I have truly enjoyed riding this bike and have put approximately 4,552 miles on it in the last 4 and years.

Favorite Trail:   Last Chance, Stanley, Idaho

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by sean gillespie a Downhiller from edinburgh scotland

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    i only got the frame. which is awwwwsome

Weaknesses:    big seat post needed. but luck got me one cheaply.

Bottom Line:
something else so far, still to ride on road and track more

Favorite Trail:   cycle paths

Purchased At:   bikestation edinburg

Similar Products Used:   giant boulder 550

Bike Setup:   mainly stuff from my old giant bike. it is setup as a 7 speed, with a single chainring. shimano V thumshifter. and v brakes, after some faffing for a full day@@

Submitted by helen a Weekend Warrior from Villa Park, IL USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Quiet, sturdy, FUN FUN FUN

Weaknesses:    Top bar is higher than they make them now. I bought mine 9 years ago. The high top bar gives me problems on steep uphills if I bog down.

Bottom Line:
Still quiet. One day I sneaked up on a deer and could have reached out and tweeked his nose as I rode by. I can't believe how much abuse this bike can take and it still rides like new. I find no problem with the tires. They are in great condition even after 9 years. But I store my bikes in the kitchen and I believe that makes a big difference. No temperature extremes for my bikes unless I'm riding them. I'm not an aggressive rider but getting better. It handled the tight singletrack in Ohio very well.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Forest Preserve singletrack

Purchased At:   Dayton Oh bike shop

Similar Products Used:   none, Its my first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Standard for that time. No disk brakes. I replaced the front chainrings this year because they were bent from crashes. It runs like new now. I also replaced the seat. But I replace the seat on all my bikes - usually I go through several seats.

Submitted by mechanicodell a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    This thing is light, handles curbs, potholes, even without the old RockShock forks.

Weaknesses:    Got it with a bent rear derailer, one offset bontrager crank arm, ripped seat and no wheels or tires. I fixed it up and loved the bike. Got better at riding and wanted speed. Didn't want to get rid of the bike, so changed it to a Road bike.

Bottom Line:
I liked it so much as a mountain bike, I wanted to keep it and make the bike mine. So, it is now a Road bike. It is MY BIKE> you know what I am saying.??? Buy the bike. I scrap a lot of bikes. This one won't be scrapped.

Purchased At:   Someone threw it awa

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, Forgot the name, back in the late 70s early 80 a heavy (shocks everywhere).

Bike Setup:   Chromemoly front fork, Alexrims DC19 700c, Infinity 700X38c.
Bontrager 52t,42t,30t road crank. Alivio Shimano rear and front derailers, graphite series neck (I think that is 125mm center to center, Suntour handlebar end shifters. Dia-Compe brake levers

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Oshkosh, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frame, reliable components (even stock), excellent trail and street manners.

Weaknesses:    Seat post

Bottom Line:
Excellent all around bike. I even use mine in triathlons and it hasn't failed me yet. This bike has been ridden for 10 years and in all 4 seasons (I only store it when it's icy or windy enough to blow me over). The best all around bike I've ever gotten.

Favorite Trail:   WIOUWASH

Purchased At:   Oshkosh Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Too many mountain bikes to even think of...

Bike Setup:   I alternate sets of tires/rims for on road and off road otherwise stock.

Submitted by semperfidelis a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is tough as nails and upgradeable. Bike has great balance and feel and is REALLY fun to ride! Great price!

Weaknesses:    seat and tires are the worst. front derailer is cheap. rear is ok, but upgradeable. front crank set is solid, but will get beat up. Haven't had any problems with the rear cassette yet, but will upgrade to the Shimano XT.

Bottom Line:
Take my advice, change seat and tires before you leave the store. I didn't and was back within the week.

I went from the beginner to intermediate to advanced trails within the first two weeks on this thing. Bike seems to be able to handle more than I can throw at it. After going over the bars half a dozen times(on trails I had no right to be on) I smartened up and bought nice elbow/forearm and knee/shin guards! Saved me so many times already! If I'm going to eat it, I bail and save myself. The bike takes the beating, but that's how I know the frame is tough. It took a full-on into the rocks, and I rode it away. Rim was bent, but...better than my arm or leg.
I'm going to upgrade the front shock eventually...also Shimano XT front and rear derailers. The wish list includes a Shimano XT front crank set, XT rear cassette and XT shifter set eventually. I know my components will cost more than the bike, but I'll have a sweet hardtail to beat on.

It's easier for me to pay as you go, and upgrade as I break stuff, than just forking all the cash out immediately.
Love this bike, highly recommend. If you're an expert, you're probably not looking at this bike anyway!
Losing a chili on overall value, cause of the need of upgrades to beat on it.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park trails