Trek 4500 Disc XC Hardtail

4.25/5 (12 Reviews)

Weekend warrior seeks multi-purpose machine for mountain and town. Needs a capable, confident machine for legitimate trails. Wants to cruise around town, too, but still maintain mountain biker identity.
  • Frame: Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour XCM-HLO w/coil spring, preload, hydraulic lockout, 100mm travel
  • Wheels: Shimano alloy M65 hubs; Bontrager Ranger 32-hole rims
  • Shifters: Shimano Alivio, 9 speed

Submitted by Mohammed Yusuf

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, Brake, Shock

Weaknesses:    Weight, Front Derailleur

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike after a lot of research. It is a bit heavy, expected it to be lighter to be honest. I am 5'6" and the frame suites me like a tailored fit suit :) Did a couple of 40+ one day rides without any complain at all. We do not have much trails in Bangladesh but still managed to find some beaten down roads and pathway through villages and the bike just flies over the trails. I did some minor modification, changed the rear dera to deore xt from deore and the pedal to x-pedo (magnesium). The suntour xcm is quite good, takes the bumps and the potholes effortlessly. Lately, I have begun training on some moves like bunny hop, track stand and jumps and the bikes response is just perfect.

Overall, a highly satisfied customer.

Submitted by jason

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2013

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
Since i purchased this bike nothing has gone wrong and it is perfect!!

Submitted by jeff richman

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2013

Strengths:    This is a great entry level bike that you can ride easily and not break your wallet. I raced BMX for a number of years so I consider myself to be an advanced rider. The bike can take everything I throw at it and wants more. It is not the lightest or the most advanced but if you want to ride and dont want to spend big $$$$ than this is the bike for you. No complaints at all.

Weaknesses:    Lower end components but good value for what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Overall great bike for all that want a good solid bike with an affordable price.

Submitted by olineman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    Nimble, Durable

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Bontrager rims did not stay true

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike about 4 years ago because I got a great deal on it and was looking to replace a 2001 Haro that I was on. Over that time I replaced the rims, breaks, pedals, tires and cabling.

Overall for an entry level bike this is a good one that I have put many of miles on from straight XC, technical rock gardens and even about a dozen adventure races. It has been a good bike and I have no regrets.

It is heavy for a 26er but it has held up well through several uh-oh's along the way. Surprisingly the Dart 3 front fork on mine has never given me any problems and still works well. I have just ordered a Ti 29er as I have stuck to the racing and need a faster bike but will keep this one as a tight turner when the trails require it.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park (Waco)

Duration Product Used:   4 Yrars

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 (Many upgrades)
Motobecane FLY Team 29 Ti

Submitted by TrekBikesNY

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2012

Strengths:    Great components and a sturdy fork.

Weaknesses:    Hard seat, but we all know we can change that.

Bottom Line:
Great for a starter racing bike. Its a tank.

Submitted by xc/mxracer a Racer from ringwood,nj usa

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Strengths:    comfortable simple looks amazing

Weaknesses:    heavy and has a terrible fork on it

Bottom Line:
i got this bike as a christmas present to see if i liked racing so i raced 4 races in the beginner category and the bike rides amazingly for something so heavy and i was able to win state champs on this bike. i recently bought an 06 hifi deluxe but im keeping this one as a back up and for those smooth races. Make sure you change the fork though. even if it is something as simple as what i put on it is better than stock it is supposed to have a 100mm but on the lightest setting on the big hits it only gives about 50mm. all in all it is a great bike for the price and remember to change the cables regularly and it will shift a lot better than normal. I recommend this bike to the entry level racer but if you go further either upgrade or do an annual overhaul and regular tune ups.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher hifi deluxe

Bike Setup:   rock shox xc28 fork

Submitted by Varlix a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    The Frame. it's not a bike, it's a tank. in a good way. bought the 2012 green/black version, and this frame just takes on anything. rock solid, very comfortable. the suntour XCM fork is nice. it's not a "high end" fork ofcourse, but it does it's job quite good. especially for the money.
the Hydraulic discs which came with the bike are more than enough anyone in an entry level needs. i actually wanted to settle for less (V-braking) since it appears thier far too advanced for me, but came to like them Very fast.

Weaknesses:    sattle which is hard, and Stock Tires that don't grip a lot. thier mainly for "off roads" but not really for "trails" where you need massive grips on rocks.

Bottom Line:
I'm very pleased with this bike. besides the neglectable fact that they look good, i fell with them couple of times, and nothing happend to the bike. most of the stock products that came with the bike are WAY more advanced that any "entry biker" like me actually needs, so it's a bike you can actually "grow on" and advance with.

i searched forums around the world for about 2.5 weeks before purchasing them, almost bought the trek 4300, but after seeing bad reviews about thier fork, decided i'll pay a little extra, (but will get a lot more)
the rear doere shifters in the back shifts smoothly and nicely, and the ACREA on the front, which is "less quality" is enough since you don't really use a lot of front gear changing.

A very high quality bike for entry level, from a good american company, you really don't need more than this for an entry level, in my opinion.

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first entry bike.

Bike Setup:   The bontrager evoke 1 sattle was too hard for me. after seeing this comment a lot, i felt it myself. for XC it's good, but for 1~ hours and more of fun riding down the area you live in "for sports" it's quite hard for my liking. i'll replace it

Submitted by trekker a Weekend Warrior from long island, ny

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2011

Strengths:    good geometry, disc brakes, remote lockout, comfortable, good gearing, handles great

Weaknesses:    Shocks, weight, reliability

Bottom Line:
I got the new 2012 4500D about a week ago. Its super comfortable and looks sick. I got the black,white and green. Disc brakes are a nice step up from my old GT pantera. I cant say that the bike is reliable. Within the first hour of riding it, the shocks blew(riding street). The shop gave me new shocks no problem. The next day I take it on some light trials and the shock blows again within an hour. Once again I'm without a bike for a week. Sick bike but shocks are garbage. I just hope the rest of the bike holds up like people says it does.

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher, 4300, gt pantera

Bike Setup:   stock, cateye computer

Submitted by Bog a Weekend Warrior from Croatia

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    Good steams, comfortable seat, great hyd discs and steams

Weaknesses:    it needs to use oil for more times

Bottom Line:
perfect, beauty, you cant feel any hole or something like that

Favorite Trail:   Mountain, off road

Purchased At:   Rog Joma

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Trek 4300 disc

Submitted by Muerte a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    Best built bike available. A perfect frame. Amazing disc brakes and all shimano components.

Weaknesses:    Seat is a bit hard but not that bad.

Bottom Line:
After over 15 years away from the sport. I decided that it was time to go big or go home. I shopped around for 4-5 weeks and test drove alot of bikes. I was looking for a well built mid-level bike. I tried the 2011 TREK 4500D and that was it. A pure fast rolling, light, great looking, well priced bike with an amazing warranty. I changed the tires and this bike is perfection. I got stopped a few times the first time out by other bikers that wanted to see what I was riding. 2011 was the year that TREK decided that they were going all out on the components. I didnt feel as if I was losing out and didnt see any component that needed to be changed at purchase. The seat is a bit hard but when you're in the trails, its so fast that you dont really get to use it that much. I find myself going out more and more and cant wait for the next ride. PERFECTION.

Favorite Trail:   Any fast trail

Purchased At:   Bushtukah

Similar Products Used:   TREK 4300D, GIANT YUKON, TREK 6000

Bike Setup:   Full shimano components come standard on the frame. I had the store swap the stock Bontrager XR Jones out for Kenda Small Block 8's.

Submitted by weekendwarrior a Weekend Warrior from flagstaff, az

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    solid frame though a bit heavy, rear disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    tires, front fork, chain, front pull brakes.

Bottom Line:
The review by einlanzer on Dec 08 2007 (13 months ago) is right on but I would reccomend replacing the fork especially if you weight over 180lbs. Also, the tires are crap and I would replace them with a pair of expensive Bontrager Jones XR Tubeless Ready $46.99 per tire. Don;t forget the Green Slime. I live in Flagstaff and the pine needles are hell on tires so I always "slime" my tires. Nothing worse than being out on the trail miles from anywhere and having a flat. The 4500 is excellent first bike to build on but udgrading is essential for the long haul.

KH