Trek 3500 XC Hardtail

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Hit the trails or own the streets on a bike that’s meant for you. Front suspension, knobby tires… the trail awaits.
  • Frame: Alpha White Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, bi-axial down tube, disc compatible dropouts
  • Front suspension: SR Suntour M-2025 w/coil spring, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula alloy FM21 front hub, FM31 rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/brushed sidewalls
  • Shifters: Shimano EF51, 7 speed
  • Brakeset: Tektro linear pull brakes w/Shimano EF51 levers

Submitted by Bud Bruner

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2013

Strengths:    It is smooth, rolls out fast and has a sweet feel. I have pleasure-riding bikes for more than seventy years. I bought this bike in a flea market for a friend, but sorry Tom, it is now my off-road ride, replacing another high-end mark which shall remain unnamed. My Trek.

Weaknesses:    None observed.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike.

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Low price, RUGGED entry level bike. I have beaten this poor bike. I have been sent flying over the handlebars, and dumped this machine over logs. Absolutely nothing has failed. I asked for a good road and trail bike when I bought it, and that is exactly what I got. This bike has caused an addiction to trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Lack of Disc Brakes, and ground clearance. I also switched out the rear gears. The difference between 1 granny gear and 2 was just too far for me. This wasn't a problem at first. I was only looking for a bike to hit the trails with a few times a year, and ended up doing it a few times a week. Shifting was also a bit clunky if shifting under power on steep climbs, but I learned when to do it to make things go more smoothly. Time to upgrade. Bike is great, I am just ready for more.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in attempt to get my blood pressure lowered without medication, and completed this goal within two months. I originally was going to stay mostly on rail trails, so this was the best option the salesperson gave me. I ended up hitting more intermediate off road singletrack than roads, and put a hurtin on this bike. It has held up just fine. This bike is perfect for someone not too sure if they want to get out there into the singletrack trails. I did it by accident. It will get you there without draining your wallet, and will get you to the store as well.

Submitted by Danny a Weekend Warrior from pauline sc spartanburg

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    This bike is great. I was nervous at first. I have a family with two small boys and did not or could not spend $1000 bucks on a bike I new nothing about. I did my homework online and hit some local shops. I was not having any luck until I went to Great Escape. I am pretty heavy was 230lbs when I got the bike and wanted to get back in shape . The trek 3500 is great I have lost 15lbs and I am now starting to hit some pretty big trails . I love this bike it has really change everything about me. If u are trying to get back in shap adn want a bike that will hold your eight this is the one and it want break your bank!!! Highly recomended !!!!!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike will take a beaten and will handle the big trails too for 419 u can not go wrong great bike I love mine !!!!

Favorite Trail:   croft state park & the dump

Purchased At:   great escape spartan

Bike Setup:   Great escape set it up for me

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Central New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Well built and stiff with a good suspension up front. Handles just fine and the fit is perfect for the average riders build. price is unbeatable at 395 list.

Weaknesses:    Lack of fenders.

Bottom Line:
Hard to beat this bike for the value. Rides and handles as good as any of the bike I own and many of them are 10 times the price. All in all a great purchse for any rider but especially for the casual around town person.

Favorite Trail:   D&R canal path

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   trek 7500, 7.5FX.

Bike Setup:   Butterfly handlebars added for comfort and varied hand positions.

Submitted by Caleb Jacoby a Weekend Warrior from Brookline, Mass USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, sleek, easy brakes, nice handlebars

Weaknesses:    Shifting is SLIGHTLY rough

Bottom Line:
An awesome light-trails mountain hardtail bicycle for teens and up

Purchased At:   Landry's Bicycles

Submitted by Isaac a Cross Country Rider from Maryville

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    Good strong entry level bike for the smaller kids, but I wouldn't recommend it to serious riders or people wanting to get into the sport. Good quality for everyone who's not into hard mountain biking but is willing to go off of the pavement.

Weaknesses:    My freehub/cassette broke after a few months of using it, but I ended up getting a HiFi for my next bike. It shows you the step that I needed to take between bikes in the caliber of riding that I was doing.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for anyone who's willing to get into the sport, but needs to be replaced with a bike that has balls once you get into it. A really good bike for kids who ain't gonna go dirt jumping or punking up monuments downtown. Cheap!

Purchased At:   (Zanes) Holiday Inn reward points

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Carmel, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    got me off the couch and on the trails

Weaknesses:    seat post, tires, weighs a ton, rear derailler

Bottom Line:
Hey, it was free. I have been pounding on this thing for a couple of years now, well over 1,500 miles on it. It weighs a ton and with no suspension that's saying something. Have had to replace the seat post, handlebars, brake pads. Upgraded the tires, seat, bars, brake pads. Shifter sucks -- probably the weakest component.

Town Run Trail is like a race track -- mostly smooth -- but the bumps on this thing are killer. I've rode my friend's Trek 3700 and if you're going to hit any bumps, I'd recommend spending a bit more for a front suspension bike.

GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDE AND ON THE TRAILS!

Favorite Trail:   Town Run Trail

Purchased At:   free via a work promotion deal

Cannondale Trail 5 or Trek 3500?

Hey there, my name is Jen and I am completely new to all of this MB stuff. I have read tons of posts by other new people, and also skimmed through the guide for newbies, so I really only have this choice to make between two bikes. My boyfriend and I have been wanting to start riding together as a s ... Read More »

Trek 3500 year and headset size

Does anyone know what year this bike is? Also, what is the headset size, as I wanted to put the fork from my 2002 Trek 4300 on it (Capa TL)? [url=http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/bik/3920196890.html]Trek 3500[/url]Read More »

Specialized Hardrock / Trek 3500 3700 alternates?

Buying new is most likely out of the question, I'm drawn to the Specialized Hardrock and Trek 3500/3700 after a few new bike test rides. I've been fitted to a 17" frame on 26 wheel and 15"/16" on a 29er. Seems like I can get used for $150-$300 which is right in my price range. I'm open to suggestio ... Read More »

trek 3500 question

How are you doing guys? Sorry I'm just new on mtb. I have a trek 3500 v brakes and I'd like to upgrade the forks. Here's the specs of my bike.[url=http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/3_series/3500/#/us/en/model/details?url=us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/3_series/3500]Trek Bicycle[/url]. ... Read More »

Buying a bike, complete newbie! Trek 3500 Disc?

Hi guys! Well i'm looking to getting a bike here to ride back and forth to work about 4 miles each way, and hopefully to get me into the cycling spirit. I haven't ridden a bike probably in 10 years but after visiting my LBS I think i'm going to pick up the Trek 3500 Disc, which I hear is better bec ... Read More »