Titus Riddler XC Hardtail

Interchangeable dropouts allow you to create your own single-speed hardtail or multi-speed XC bike. Made from incredibly responsive 6069 aluminum, the Riddler rides like no other aluminum design on the market. The elongation properties of this specific frame material allow to custom butt the tubes to provide the optimum mix of lightweight aluminum in a responsive and compliant configuration.

Submitted by rightclick a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    Stable, lightweight, handles like a dream, beautiful anodized blue

Weaknesses:    cheap decals

Bottom Line:
This hardtail rides like I imagine a ferrari would, it speeds along on pavements, roads, grass...it handles so well I wears a devilish grin as I speed along turns and corners that I previously treaded cautiously....I can't imagine riding a better hardtail than this...maybe perhaps a Titus Fireline or a Yeti Arc...I don't know...I don't want to know...I just want to keep riding this blue speedster to everywhere and anywhere. I know that God Loves Me when I rode this.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango 3.0

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MZ Race Comp, WCS Carbon Rizer, Easton EA70 stem, Cane Creek Thudbuster, Alex Rims XD Lite, Novatec Hubs, SRAM X9 Rear D, Kore Eite pedals

Submitted by Cary a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Rides and Handles like a dream, makes the use of steel for frames questionable.

Weaknesses:    The guy riding it.

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks. For reference I am a 6' 225 pound clyde. I purchased this frame to upgrade my Fisher Kaitai hardtail that I ride quite a bit. I was a bit concerned about bottom bracket flex and switching from a Genesis Geometry frame to a more traditional geometry frame.

Thoughts out of the box: The annodized blue was absolutely amazing. I had to get the headtube and bottom bracket faced and chased, an annoyance but worth it in the end. I swapped the components over from my Fisher and my first impression was ,"I hope this thing is stiff enough" as the bottom bracket flexed a bit more than my Fisher when I pushed from the side.

Thoughts after riding it: Flex, what flex? My concerns about the bottom bracket turned out to be non-existant. The biggest thing that I noticed on my first ride was that this thing eats up road vibrations and square edged bumps like a soft-tail. The difference between my Kaitai and this frame in terms or ride quality are unreal.

Handling: Suprisingly stable. I was a bit worried that it might be twichey, but it is rock stable, perhaps even more stable than the fisher was. It responds instantly to inputs but is still stable on 30mph fireroad descents. It climbs much better than the fisher (which shocked me), not losing traction as soon. In the loose stuff my FS turner still maintains better climbing traction.

Weight: Bike weighs 24.75 pounds built. This is great for a bike that is built for a 225 pound clyde and runs Specialized airlock tubes, and no specific lightweight parts.

Conclusion: If I had bought this frame before my FS bike, I likely would not have bought a FS bike. Mind you, where I live there are no such things are rock gardens. There is something really special about this frame and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering building a hardtail, even if they are considering a steel frame.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding