Titus Hard Core Racer XC Hardtail

Weight : 3.40 MSRP : $1350.00

This bike is the titanium mainstay of Titus' mountain bike line. It is optimized by tube diameter to provide a stiff and compliant ride unlike any other ti bike on the market. Responsive and stable, the HCR is a cross-country racers dream. Disc mounts are standard, but of course you can run cantilevers if you'd like. Even if you don't race, the ride of a Titus Titanium hardtail cannot be denied. Hop on one and live the dream!

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Belle Mead, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Rear Dropouts can be swapped between single speed and geared. Frame is very precise- point and shoot. Compliant in the rough, and stiff for the grinding climbs- nice balance.

Weaknesses:    Price but it is a ti frame- what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
Review is for a 2007 Titus Eleven.

I ride what I would call Cross Country- and the trails range from very smooth flowing singletrack to down-right knarly, rock/root infested “marches-of-death.” Typically my rides are limited to 90 minute sessions (family commitments limit the all-day epics to nearly nill) and are done with all the essentials in water bottles and a seatpack.

Okay, onto the bike. The frame I chose was a Small 100mm Eleven. The frame it replaced was a dedicated SS SPOT and although the two frames have slightly different geometry measurements the Eleven fit a bit better (longer top tube, etc…).

The build is pretty straightforward- components were chosen not for weight savings, but dependability; everything besides the seat post slid directly over from the SPOT. The Fork is a Fox Vanilla running at 100mm, the brakes are Avid Mechanicals, the drive train is White Industries (cranks, free wheel and hubs), the BB is Phil Wood and the seat post/stem are both Thomson.

Ride Impressions.

The bike is faaaaaast. I never thought a frame could contribute so much to a great wheelset (the WI hubs are ridiculous). I find myself getting into corners a bit too hot and it surprises me. I have noticed with this frame that I need to revert to my pedal ratcheting skills to get through some taller rock gardens. I attribute this to two factors- one, the frame is fast and I am getting into the thick of it a second faster than I had on my previous frame and two, my older frame was designed with a 63mm-80mm fork in mind and by running the Vanilla at 100mm I am sure it raised the BB a bit. I mention this simply because it is something I have noticed during the first few rides but seems to be tapering off steadily as I readjust my timing accordingly.

The biggest question I had prior to throwing a leg over the frame was the ride quality; more than one review/reviewer has commented on the stiffness of the frame. Keep in mind I am a heavier rider and tip the scales closer to the upper weight limit of the frame more than most would. With that being said, I don’t see much of a difference between my older SPOT frame and the Eleven in the fast and furious rooty and baby-head sections. The frame rides like a high performing hardtail should- it is not a softtail and it is definitely not a dual suspension. I do feel the stiffness of the frame in a few places that stand out from the SPOT such as- quick climbs when I am really, really cranking down on the pedals and really tough rock gardens where I need to track stand to reassess my line and need the bike to respond ASAP to my body English- frame just seems to spring/surge forward.

One nit-pick, “out-of-the-box” chain tugs may not fit the SS dropouts of the Eleven unless you take 5-10 minutes to “dremmel” them into a working solution. Sounds like a big deal- it’s not and shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

So, why did I buy the Eleven?

What caught my eye first was the dropouts- I always wanted a frame that could run cleanly as both a SS and a geared bike. Other aspects of the frame just fell into place, like a longer top tube, geometry for a 100mm fork, etc… The price tag is steep for a hardtail but I had the dough and I found it to be a reasonable price for everything that I wanted (also I had all the components on hand from the SPOT).

Finally, I am completely satisfied with the bike and would buy it again if given the choice.

Favorite Trail:   Many