Surly Troll XC Hardtail

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The SurlyTroll defies logic and description. Is it a hardtail MTB? A commuter? ATouring bike? A snow/sand bike? Well, yes. Surly designed itTo be an incredibly versatile, 26" wheel mountain bike, but its unlike most mountain bikes youve seen...For starters it has clearance for massiveTires (2.7"), unheard of in a hardtail frame.The slopingToptube with gusset provides plenty of standover clearance, even withThe big rubber or a 100mm/4" suspension fork fitted (a 4130 chromoly rigid matching fork i

Submitted by Rohloff a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2015

Strengths:    Not many I can think of other than many many rack mounts.

Weaknesses:    The rear dropouts are a PITA

The front end gets flexy and wobbly when loaded.

Bottom Line:
I have this bike built custom with a Rohloff.
I woyld recommend not buying as the rear dropouts are an unbelievable PITA.

If you are using a Rohloff keep the below in mind. I am warning you so that you know what you are getting yourself into.

1) The OEM 2 axle plate, the one you will be using with this frame, uses a bolt to anchor itself to prevent it from turning. The problem with the way this frame is designed is that the anchor bolt is between the Rohloff and the bottom bracket and therefore prevents the wheel from moving forward in the dropouts when trying to take the wheel off.

2) This makes it necessary to leave the chain a little extra slack so that you can derail the the chain with your fingers to get it off the hub so that you can pull the hub backward and get the wheel out of the frame.

3) Setting the anchor bolt to the proper position to make sure the chain is tight when the wheel is in position requires either a special home made hex key, because the short section on a normal L hex wrench is too long to fit in the space between the hub and the end of the anchor bolt, and since Surly doesnt give you such a tool with the frame or even sell one, you have to make your own, and keep in mind that tool steel is ridiculously hard to cut and will dull a hacksaw rapidly and as such making such a tool is not easy unless you own a bench grinder, OR you can mark the spot on the dropout where you think the anchor bolt should be, but this will bever be fully accurate, and keep adjusting it until it is in the right place, having to take the wheel out of the frame every time you wish to move the anchor bolt.

All of this trouble could have been prevented if they would just sell a stupid special hex key to fit in this tight space, but no, they wont do this obviously needed task for those of us stupid enough to buy a frame from them.

4) If you dont have this special tool there is a chance that you will leave the chain a littile too loose, like I did. This works fine enough in most situations, and did for me to, even over dirt roads and washboard roads, until you run into the icy ruts of winter. In my case the chain hopped off the rear cog, REPEATEDLY, over a small section of road, and gouged the crap out of my Rohloff. One section of the scratch is about 1/2 mm deep, and the scratch goes pretty much all the way around that part of the hub. This concerns me because I cycle in the middle of nowhere quite a lot, and if the hub fails I could die because of it.

Of course, when I emailed Surly about it, Eric was quite concerned about they way I used cuss words to describe the hex key and the hardness of tool steel, but was so unconcerned with the fact that my hub had been screwed up becuase of my decision to buy a poorly designed PITA frame whose maker was so inconsiderate that they dont even bother to sell the special hex key, found no where else, needed to easily set up the anchor bolt position, that instead of remedying my concernes with this awful situation, he decided to troll me telling me the tugnut was meant to keep the wheel from moving forward, not the axle plate. Of course by the time I finished writing the reply to his assinine email I realized he was trolling me and told him to go F&$% himself.

The fact that my hub is screwed up is my fault. It is my fault for buying into the Surly hype. It is my fault for not adjust this PITA anchor holt just right on a frame that does everything it can to make such an adjustment difficult. It is my fault for not buying a fram with a good eccentric, the Bushnell perhaps?, that would have made this adjustment easy.

Hopefully you will not be as dumb as I am and will instead buy a frame from someone who actually gives a crap about ease of use and proper design.

Also, if you have long feet, I have size 47 and I ride a 20" frame, the stays will be too short to keep your feet from hitting your panniers when full, I use the Ortlueb top roller plus, when they are filled in certain ways that cause bulges.

And the front end gets wobbly and flexy when heavily loaded.

Rear facing horizontal dropouts belong on track bikes and single speeds and nothing else. Anything more than that and they just arent worth the trouble. I do not even want to imagine what it is like to take a wheel off a derailleur equipped Troll.

And I am a touring and utility cyclist. Cross country is as close as to this as I could select.

Now I get to spend $20 of files trying to cut this hex key. What joy. Tool steel is REALLY HARD and dulls blades and files rapidly.

I forget what price I paid. Several grand.

Purchased At:   Rather not say

Similar Products Used:   Cross Check

Bike Setup:   Rohloff, Schmidt, Edelux, Tubus racks, etc...

Submitted by uvitabikeandkayak a Cross Country Rider from uvita, puntarenas, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    cromoly!! sliding dropouts, v-brake or disc, slim tubes, color is pretty cool and unique. i love the stand over height it gives you, its very forgiving.

Weaknesses:    not enough water bolt ons, surly could add some on the fork and downtube.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for something that will stand out this is it! its cool cuz of the color, lol. Actually i ride lots of XC and this bike is perfect for that and then some. i have 2.2 bontragers on it now and there's tons of space for bigger tires. overal i stand out for being the one guy riding a rigid bike. Actually its not that bad having a fully rigid bike, i think it makes you sharper. I would not recommend this bike to older riders unless you plan on using a suspension fork. honestly it looks so cool the paint is out standing! buy it if you want versatility and if ur just feed up with aluminum and want something different.

Favorite Trail:   fire trails