Specialized Stumpjumper XC Hardtail

4.69/5 (88 Reviews)

Submitted by Rs a Weekend Warrior from Palos heights illinois

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Strengths:    Fun/light very good quality for the dough. Looks!

Bottom Line:
2008 stumpy. So cool looking with black paint job and white letters. A guy on the trail asked if it was an sworks. I absolutely can't wait to ride it every chance I get. Will never buy another mt bike without a lockout. This bike will grow with your skills.

Purchased At:   Johnny sprockets-chi

Similar Products Used:   95 stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   All stock with nashbar spds

Submitted by schmidtwerd a Cross Country Rider from West Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, stock components, price

Weaknesses:    Stock grips are the worst

Bottom Line:
Got into riding trails last summer (2009) and had a really entry level bike. When this summer rolled around I wanted something a little better. One of my friends who is 99% roadie, 1% mountain rider had a Stumpy he never used so I offered him a little cash and he took it; now we're both very pleased. Compared to my old Scott Aspect 55, there is really no comparison, the Stumpy rides like a dream and I'm hoping to ride this for many years to come as I am mainly a road rider myself but love to get after the trails every once and a while.

The year of the Stumpy is a 2007 and the stock components on it are very nice. The X9 rear der. is really nice, X7 shifters aren't bad either. The fork is just beautiful, just enough travel for what I like to do.

If you like to ride XC trails and don't need a FS ride.. I'd definitely recommend giving the Stumpy a test ride because for the price, a lot of other companies can't match what this ride delivers.

Favorite Trail:   Sovereign Singletrack, UT

Purchased At:   From a buddy

Similar Products Used:   Stumpy FSR, Stumpy FSR 29er, Scott Aspect 55

Bike Setup:   Stock with a couple changes: Odi Ruffian grips + Avid Juicy 7 brakes

Submitted by Netcelt a Cross Country Rider from Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2009

Strengths:    Very lightwight. Value for money. Ride. Great set of wheels and components.

Weaknesses:    Ugly downtube bend...why???

Bottom Line:
This bike is incredible value for money and very high quality.. The 2010 model is $150 cheaper than last years model. I have been riding the 2010 HT in black now for 2 months and I absolutly love it. It virtually moves itself on the uphills and over roots. This is a very unusual trait for me to discover in a bike. I have never experienced that before. All of the angles are perfect for me. I bought the linear brake model to have the ultimate lightweight bike but with the option to switch to disks if I want to in the future. Plus, it looks great in the black and white paint job. This is a race bike right out of the box. It's harsher than a full suspension but it's ultra light and so fast. My only gripe is the now ever present bend in the downtube. It's ugly but I'm sure it has a purpose. This bike will be suited to the rider who wants to race and not have to mortgage the farm or the weekend warrior who likes the feel of a high quality bike that is fast.

Favorite Trail:   Sokal, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Purchased At:   Bike Link, Birmingha

Similar Products Used:   2006 Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock except for platform pedals, body geometry grips.

Submitted by Stumpenheimer a Weekend Warrior from Ocala,Fl

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a tough bike. It has great components and handles like a dream. I can honesty say that I will never need another bike. I'm a bigger guy and it was hard to find a bike that fit. This bike is perfect!

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Submitted by greg altorfer a Weekend Warrior from jackson, MS

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
Its the perfect bike. All the angles on it are just correct.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Submitted by RacerFromCA a Racer from California

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very good climber, the lock out on th F90 is great you never feel a thing. I race with it every other week great climber. I switched the deore crank for xt cranks really helps. Nice colors!! i brought it down to about 23.9 pounds with some upgrades(ive got the 08 model)

Weaknesses:    Shifters to easy to shift would be better with a pair of x9 shifters.

Bottom Line:
its a great bike you have to try it to know it.

Favorite Trail:   UC santa cruz mailboxes

Similar Products Used:   c'dale taurine

Bike Setup:   f90, specialized seatpost(light as a easton), specialized m5 alloy frame, x9 rear derailler

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast, good components, great frame, great fork. Eminently upgradeable.

Weaknesses:    Except brake pads, none really.

Bottom Line:
Extremely pleased with this bike. It is smooth, fast and efficient - maybe 50% better & 4 lbs lighter than my old Rockhopper. The major difference is probably the fork, but it's just an all-over better quality bike. Stock Fast Trak tires are great in dry conditions and hook up pretty well at lower pressures, but I got Nevegals for better traction where trails can be muddy in spots or loose. I like the rim brakes with the Koolstop pads. A previous reviewer said the stock Avid pads sounded like two blocks of wood on your rims - very accurate. They are lightweight and simple, and provide plenty of stopping power for me. If you ride a lot in mud, maybe they aren't the best choice for you.

The Rockhopper was a great bike, but the Stumpy is that much better. Good for the enthusiast who has a little more cash to spend and wants a faster, more efficient bike than the usual weekend steed. Long top tube - I got one size down to compensate for my having slightly longer legs and shorter torso/arms. Consequently, it's not as well suited for fire roads and greenways, but if you want to blast along single track that's not too terribly rough or rooty, it's a good choice. All in all, highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Trek 4500, Univega Rover rigid.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Stumpjumper except SPD M540 pedals, Koolstop salmon pads, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires.

Submitted by Joe B a Weekend Warrior from Wheaton, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Strengths:    Super light, great adjustment on fox fork. Responsive and balanced. Also very upgradeable. External BB!

Weaknesses:    V-brakes aren't great. Cheap seat post clamp. No tie wraps included if you were to change out v-brakes and attach cables.

Bottom Line:
Love it so far - its super fast! Shifts quick and is still easy to adjust. External BB is fantastic. The 2007 model is an excellent bike to start with and keep for a long time as well.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood, MO

Purchased At:   Little Ade's, Pekin, IL

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M60

Bike Setup:   Stock w/.eggbeaters or Primo tenderizer platforms

Submitted by Andy Stephan a Weekend Warrior from O'Fallon, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light and Fast! The Fox shocks are great and the tires are decent too.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
This is the best purchase I have ever made. The bike climbs like crazy and it can handle my 200lb self with ease.

Favorite Trail:   Strip Mine Loop

Purchased At:   Sunset Cylcery

Bike Setup:   Stock. I am in the process of upgrading to disc.

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, strong frame/components, confidence inpsiring geometry and handling.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. I'm pushing myself faster and making it through terrain like I never have before.

Purchased At:   bicycle sport shop

Bike Setup:   stock, except for upgraded seat post clamp and platform pedals.

Submitted by adam a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    fast, light, sweet fork, alright wheels, awesome dropping shimano and moving to SRAM, ok tires

Weaknesses:    v-brakes blow so buy the discs or upgrade, tires are fine unless you do a lot of roots and rocks

Bottom Line:
get this bike. it amazing and anyone that argues is way to particular. if your spending limit is $1400 this bike is sooo much better than anything else. its stiff, light, fast, and its actually one of the most comfortable rides ive been on yet. if you can spend more money than sure why not get better but for the money this is sweet

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   05 Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   stock for now

Submitted by Chase a Cross Country Rider from Ashburn, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, ride control, great quality

Weaknesses:    V-brakes, chain, rear dérailleur, price

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike, don't get me wrong, but its a pricey bike too. Mine was a gift, so I could care less about how much it cost. That being, you simply still get a damn nice bike if you spend only half as much. If you race, the extra quality is worth it. I don't race, and the vast majority of people don't either, so I'm going to rate it low.

Purchased At:   Trail's End Cycling Co

Bike Setup:   Stock with hybrid tires

Submitted by RatKid a Weekend Warrior from SanBruno, CA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Really nice bike, climbs pretty fast. Fork is pretty good, considering I had RockShox Judy T on my older bike. Drivetrain shifts fine.

Weaknesses:    Wierd noise in the fork when it hits a bump.

Bottom Line:
I dunno if it was a good deal or a bad deal but I traded my De Rosa road bike with full 8 speed gruppo for this bike along with an extra pair of wheels, the v brakes it came stock with, and primo pedals. I've wanted a mountain bike for a while because I think my piece of sh*t Rockhopper kinda sucks and I have too many road bikes, I barely rode my De Rosa so I traded it. The Stumpy was in a really good condition, it looked like it barely saw any off-road action and it has disc brakes. When I got it, I put it through a quick local trail for runners (bikes aren't allowed there but its the closest trail I could find). Climbed a switchback uphill, which I usually cant finish without dismounting, without dismounting at all. It was a better bike than my really old Rockhopper, the fork actually works. IT climbs pretty good too. I think the gearing is kinda low, a 22t in the granny gear and the rear is kinda low too. But I'm more of a roadie, I can't pull too many comparisons against this Stumpy but its enough to get me into cross country riding.

Similar Products Used:   1995 Rockhopper Comp FS built as a singlespeed with XT cranks, LX V Brakes, and LX wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Replaced Avid SD V Brakes with Avid BB7 Disc, Mavic Crossrock wheels, Easton Rizer bars, and WTB Speed V saddle

Submitted by MBRider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Nice geometry, fox fork, stylo crankset, and nice wheelset for the money.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailleur is terrible. It pops creaks and makes the chain jump. The Fox Fork is nice but I can get it to depress while its locked out if I do a simple bunny hop. No matter how hard I tourqed down the seat it still wanted to move. One of the biggest problems is Special paint jobs.

Bottom Line:
Durable frame and very nice wheelset. I am a 235 lbs guy and the wheelset is very tough. I THINK SPECIALIZED'S PAINT SUCKS AND LACKS ANY TYPE OF QUALITY. My next bike might not be a Specialized because you can get bike with a great ride and nice fit 'n' finsih in another brand. They need these bikes to be brought back to the United States to be manufactured or I am leaving the brand. Their quality sucks now!!!!!!!!!!!