Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon Disc XC Hardtail

• Specialized FasTrack Pro dual compound
  • Lighter Thomson 7000-series alloy post

Submitted by Sem Gallegos a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Stiffest aluminum hardtail I've tried, for a fast ride. Good XT Hydralic Disc Brakes.
Terralogic F80x fork works great.

Weaknesses:    Stiffness can hurt.

Bottom Line:
21" with all those upgrades comes in at 23lbs. flat, But no matter what upgrades I've done Its a fast and race ready bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Greenbelt

Spokes: Dt Swiss Revolution Double Butted Black
Tires: Maxxis Advantage 26 x 2.1
Chain: Sram PC-89R 9spd
(Broke too many Shimano Chains, since I put on the
Sram havent had any problems)
Accessories:
Polar Speed sensor
Specialized bar Grips
2 Rav-X carbon fiber water bottle cages
Carbon Fiber Headset Spacers

Submitted by Eben Broadbent a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2005

Strengths:    The hydraulic disc brakes are fabulous. Just started these after v-brakes and was very skeptical if they were worth the extra weight, but now go down 3 mile steep sections using on 1 finger to shift and brake and have no hand tiredness at the bottom. Really nice. The integrated brake shifter (xt) is also a great leap forward in design. I never lose control of gear selection and braking control on either steep ups or downs. The front shock is perfect, allowing for quick ascents with no bobbing to excellant absorbtion of small-large bumps on the descent with no adjustment in between.

Weaknesses:    The price is ridiculous. Previously I had a 1998 Stumpjumper Pro which I bought for $1650. The components were identical (as in xt, xtr, etc...) as the marathon and it weighed a bit less (~ 1 lb due prob. to having v-brakes). I don't see a reason why this bike values >1000$ more.

Bottom Line:
Great bike but overpriced. If you have the $ I would say you will not find a better hardtail out there. I have no problems so far with the bike or parts. The tracking, handling, climbing, overall are superior to the 98 pro I had before.

Favorite Trail:   Corte de Madera

Purchased At:   The Offramp

Similar Products Used:   98' Stumpjumper Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock, 120mm stem, lp composites team bar ends,

Submitted by joe Durling from Redwood City,C.A, U.S.

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is just what I was looking for, I was unsure if I needed the S-works, but for $1500 cheaper and not only a pound heavier, it seemed worth it to me. It is very smooth, yet fast when you want it to be.

Weaknesses:    I havent found one yet

Bottom Line:
I use this bike all time, I have done 3 races on it and loved it. I also have a FS bike when I do more serious riding. But really I have found that the bike improves your uphill speed but also descending, it seems that you become more aware of the lines to pick, you become a smarter, more effcient rider. It Is well worht the money. The Stumpjumper is a very good bike that Specialized has designed.

Purchased At:   2800

Similar Products Used:   Scott Carbon- to stiff
Merlin Ti- to sluggish

Bike Setup:   As it came all XT with the F80 X- which once dialed in, its wonderful

Submitted by Clint a Racer from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Strengths:    Light, stiff, great components, Fox F80X fork is superb, great saddle, handles great, set up for racing right out of the box.

Weaknesses:    I prefer a low normal rear derailleur since I've used dual-control shifters for awhile w/ low normal. I swapped out the derailleur for an XTR low-normal.

Also, I would say derailleur cable routing, but on a hard tail, underneath cable routing isn't a big deal. The bike shifts really well.

Bottom Line:
For a top-quality hard tail, this is about as good as they get. Sure, an S-works would be nice, but I'm not going to pay an exta $1500 to have a bike that's probably less than a pound lighter. Mine weighs 23lbs. And actually, I prefer XT over XTR due to the fact that when the drive train wears out or if things break in a crash, I'm not having to pay so much to replace things.

This is my first time using an inertia valve fork. I'm hooked! I like out-of-the-saddle climbing, and this fork is perfect for that. It's not quite as smooth as the 2005 Talas on my other bike, but I didn't get the bike to be overly smooth. As far as handling, the 71 degree head angle and short wheel base makes this bike handle like a dream. We have pretty tight and turny (is that a word?) trails around here, and this bike does very well on them. And I love having disc brakes on a hard tail. I've used disc for 2 years now and can't go back to v-brakes.

I've been riding FS bikes for the past 2 years, and I got this bike as a 2nd bike. I'm adapting back to hard tail life pretty well. Sure, you get knocked around a bit more than on FS, but it makes you stronger and a better rider. It's nice to have a HT and FS for different conditions. For smoother trails and race courses and for fire roads, this bike rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Anything w/ lots of climbing