Specialized Stumpjumper Comp XC Hardtail

4.35/5 (17 Reviews)
MSRP : $1900.00

Out of the box and race ready for XC riders looking to climb fast and rail twisty singletrack.
  • Fully manipulated M5 alloy HT frame with curved top tube looks as fast and sweet as it rides due to its race-optimized geometry
  • RockShox Reba RLT with 90mm travel, rebound/compression adjust, and Floodgate control is stiff, smooth, and fast for flying up hills
  • Custom DT Swiss X420SL 24mm-wide rims are sleeved and eyeletted for a sturdy and lightweight package that makes the climb out effortless
  • S-Works The Captain 2.0" front and S-Works Fast Trak 2.0" rear 2Bliss Ready dual compound tires work together to deliver exceptional speed and traction, while minimizing rotating weight
  • Custom Avid Elixir R SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-less reach adjust for superb control and modulation
  • Specialized BG Phenom Comp saddle with hollow Cr-Mo rails is a lightweight and minimalist design, tuned for sit bone flex and comfortable climbing

Submitted by JoeBsbiker a Racer from Brasilia, DF, Brasil

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Very fast, easy to corner.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket. The top tube may hurt you knee if you fall. Happened twice with me. It bumps right at the patela.
In race conditions, the pilot should be carefull not to get totally wasted too soon.

Bottom Line:
In fact I had an Epic S-Works Full, 2004. Great bike, 11.8kg. I thought that if I changed to a hardtail I could gain a few minutes in races, thanks to 1kg less and the overall geometry. Well, for me it didn't work. I became overtired after half the races, a lot of pain in my lowerback, less speed and control in the DH sections.
The bottombracket is 2 cm lower, which means loosing two teeth of the big chainring and bumping the pedals in very technical sections.
For all this, I got my old Epic back and I'm happy, now.
But I've also bought a new bike, a Sunn Shamann Finest 2011. As soon as I have it here at home, I'll try it and post something about it, since there's no review about this bike here at MTBR.

The Fox TerraLogic 100 that works so good with the Epic is more hard, more rigid when used with the StpJump hardtail. I found that very annoying.
(PS: the price was $1000 for the frame, only... in Brazil this is very expensive)

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I had a Scott Comp Racing 2004, before my actual Epic.

Bike Setup:   Specz StumpJumper Comp 2011, XTR 3x9, Fox TerraLogic 100, Mavic CrossMax SL.

Submitted by aussieidiot a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    2009 Stumpjumper Comp.
fast on hardpack downhill.
Awesome brakes
Very stable at high speed (60Km/hr+ downhill)

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres. (Specialized S-Works The Captain)

Bottom Line:
This was my first real MTB after having a Yukon for awhile.
I'm not the best rider and this is my opinion of the bike based on my riding.
I found it exceptionally fast on the hardpack, it was predictable and confidence inspiring whilst doing 60km/hr downhill passing faster riders while I was off the racing line.
I can't climb hills on it, but thats my fitness and not a fault of the bike, although it does make easy work of hills when I really try.
It glides over the light rough stuff and easily absorbs a few larger hits. I wouldn't attempt larger drop offs (3')as I don't have the confidence and I don't think the bike is built to take that kind of punishment on a regular basis.

Favorite Trail:   The Oaks. (hardpack/single track)

Similar Products Used:   This replaced my Giant Yukon.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Jet Black platform pedals, X0 Shifters and rear derailleur, Joplin seatpost

Submitted by kyleharder a Racer from Salinas, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    Good simple frame design, still differing from their 2009 model. Affordable bike with decent parts. Well done color schemes.

Weaknesses:    Specialized everything! Seat, bars, gribs, custom specialized wheels, etc. The wheels are especially terrible.

Bottom Line:
Very good deal for a bike, 100$ cheaper then last years model. Decent parts for a stock bike.

Purchased At:   Bobcat Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock everything except, XT rear der., XT shifters, and XT crankset.

Submitted by Homer a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I loved my 2005 stumpjumper so much that when it came for a new bike... I got the 2009 stumpjumper Comp. Up until a week ago, I would have given this bike a 5/5.

So, why the 3/5??

Last week I purchased a year old 2008 Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 after crashing and damaging the frame on my Stumpjumper. Well the Stumpjumper was a great bike... it does NOT come close to comparing to the Rocky Mountain Vertex. Anyone reading this who is thinking about purchasing a stumpjumper... check out the vertex!! Not much of a price difference, components are coparable... but overall, the Vertex 50 casts a shadow over the stumpjumper.

Submitted by Tooth McGavin a Cross Country Rider from St Charles, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, Components, Wheels, Brakes, and the Fork.

Weaknesses:    I am use to wider handle bars but I will have to test these out on the trail

Bottom Line:
The 2009 Stumpjumper Comp is simply amazing!!!

Amazing bike. Rolls fast. Brakes are amazing once you find the sweet spot on them. Good at 1 finger braking vs my 2 or 3 finger braking. Tires are super nice for the single track trails. The fork is simply amazing with the lock out and the amount of rebound that it offers for XC. Anyone looking to go a lot faster on the trails and want an amazing bike for the money this is the bike to get. Not to mention the paint color is simply "irresistible".

Favorite Trail:   Spring Lake

Purchased At:   Geneva Mill Race Cyc

Similar Products Used:   2008 Trek 6000
2001 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS

Bike Setup:   All Stock except for XTR front Derailleur, XTR rear derailleur(carbon cage), and XTR shift pods.
May replace crank this summer with XT but we will see how the stock one holds up.

Submitted by simbabull a Cross Country Rider from hertfordshire/united kingdom

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight and great geometry.climbing tight sections and speed

Weaknesses:    bottom bracket a little low,but it is a race bike afterall and tyres are only good for light trailriding 50/50 road trail type riding

Bottom Line:
i was not much impressed with the 2007 stumpy atall and found the m4 frame a little heavy (as heavy if not a bit more than my 2007 rockhopper pro!)it had good spec and looked nice and racey,but it was not upto scratch with other £1200 ht bikes.this years offering is a different storey in terms of weight and ride.i loved the look of last years,but this years is even more headturning with the crome (old school style frame colour) which reminded me of the old titanium marin team i used to own in 1991 and makes a change to all the white frames that are the fasion at the moment!the m5 frame has a different feel to last years m4 and all for the better.the bottom bracket is still a little lower than id like it to be,but i find i have still had fun in the woods and ditches as much as i did on my rockhopper pro.i am riding the stock tytes till there dead and then my panaracer xc pro tyres are going on it.i will also be changing the straight handle bars and stem to a easton riser and shorter stem (this is my own preference)i would advice any one looking for a quick xc hardtail with the ability to still do some fun free riding in between your trails (like i tend to do) to buy one of these.i have seen these around for £1100 but once they are gone they will be gone.

Favorite Trail:   all local trails

Similar Products Used:   2007 stumpjumper ht,orange p7 pro 2008.2007 rockhopper pro.giant xtc comp 2006.klein attitude comp 2004.

Bike Setup:   standard 2008 spec.fox f90rl,sram x7 shifters 2008 model,sram x9 rear mech,lx front mech,juicy 5 sl 2008 brakes (better than 2006/2007 juicy 5's) shimano deore hollowtech crankset (better than the 2007 truvativ stylo crankset) dt swiss420sl wheels

Submitted by BobX from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight = Awesome Climber.
Sweet Fox forks and good components.

Weaknesses:    No glaring weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
One sweet hardtail that doesn't disappoint. My first full time mountain bike and I'm glad I decided to spend a little extra. It's capable for all the trails from around here. Even if I buy a full suspension bike, it will be hard to let go of it.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Tango

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Caffeine 3, GF Tassahara Disc

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dimitry a Cross Country Rider from Waterford, MI

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    The Specialized Stumpjumper is one of my favorite bikes of all time. With a good component spec, a good amount of travel, and great geometry, it's hard to go wrong with the Specialized Stumpjumper.

Weaknesses:    -Limited seat post height adjustment
-Derailleur has a small Knock

Bottom Line:
Riding the Specialized Stumpjumper is a pleasure. With great natural feeling geometry and a healthy amount of squish (90mm front) the bike is just plain fun. The Specialized Stumpjumper fees great in corners and can launch airs with little effort. The bike inspires confidence in rough sections and is tough enough for some hard hits.

Purchased At:   B3, Grosse Pointe Park

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Lefty, Trek 8500

Submitted by Dustin a Weekend Warrior from albuquerque

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    lite frame, fox shock is great, all the componets rock!

Weaknesses:    i do not like the gearing ratios i would like a bit harder gears. the brakes r fine after they r brocken in.

Bottom Line:
expensive but a great bike!

Purchased At:   two wheel drive

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Edward Vink a Cross Country Rider from Haarlem, Holland

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2005

Strengths:    I'm riding it for one and a half year and it never let me down.

Weaknesses:    I'm not mad about te brakes.

Bottom Line:
A good bike and love the Fox fork. I use it mainly for single track and it is very quick around the corners. It isn’t to expansive and I’ve had a lot of nice ride on it. I recommend it to everyone how’s looking for a bike to start riding.

Purchased At:   Alkmaar, Holland

Submitted by Jamie a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio TX

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2005

Strengths:    Strong bike, great single track

Weaknesses:    Besides the crap job the dealer (PLANET BIKE) has done the front wheel gets very light on technical climbs

Bottom Line:
DON'T BUY ANY BIKES FROM PLANT BIKE IF YOU EXPECT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE DURING AND AFTER THE PURCHASE.

Specialized rocks though!

Purchased At:   PLANET BIKE

Submitted by steve from stonington ct

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2004

Strengths:    the bike is soooo light i love it it controls awesome it really feels like you are a part of this bike when your cliped in its also really fast

Weaknesses:    rims and brakes the rims bent on the first ride and the brakes have no power this bike it just to fast for them i will be puting discs on it very soon

Bottom Line:
this bike is awesome you really cant beat the quality of the frame and the fork could use some upgrades for rims and brakes but other then that it is super light, fast and responsive all of the other major components are good also all and all this bike is worth the price even know i got it for 150 cheaper

Purchased At:   MYSTIC CYCLE CENTER

Similar Products Used:   rock hopper comp trek 8000

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Sean a Racer from costa mesa, california

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2004

Strengths:    Great overall value, awesome fork, great geometry.

Weaknesses:    Cheap wheels, brakes. Shifting problems with the front chainring. But, with the great frame/fork, Specialized had to skimp somewhere.

Bottom Line:
I've raced this bike and it works OK. Upgrade the wheels, crank/chainring, and brakes, and you'd have a pretty good race bike. Only problems are with shifting on the front chainring. Despite numerous adjustments to the front derailleur and shifters, I've had problems with either hesitant shifting or the chain falling off while shifting or on bumpy decents. Maybe all the components aren't all fully compatible? Braking sucks, but since I've replaced the pads and upgraded the wheels to ceramic coated tubeless, I've had much better braking power. Great bike for the buck, though.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock, aside from saddle which is selle italia flite.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Vienna, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    F80X Fork and frame

Weaknesses:    XT shifters and the seatpost stripped after 5 rides.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. It's very light but what sold me was the fork. The auto lock-out works excellent. The seatpost stripped after a few rides so i replaced that with a cheap ritchey seatpost. I might replace the shifters with xtr or old Xt and the break levers with avids. I wish i got the disc breaks though after riding on muddy paths

Purchased At:   Spokes ETC.