Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Disc XC Hardtail

4.74/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by teddwoody a Weekend Warrior from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    29ers ROCK! SRAM shifters work well(USED to be a shimano guy, not any more. Love the Avid discs. May upgrade to XO's all around just for better shifting performance until XX come down in price.

Weaknesses:    DT 420SL wheels are a bit heavy and not so strong. Busted front wheel on the 2nd ride and I am the (really) slow, old, fat guy in the group. RnR helped with the bite on that.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I dont miss the rear suspension very often and don't miss the weight ever. Wish they had a carbon frame in a 15.5 when I bought mine. Whats that? They have a 15.5 carbon frame now, you say. Guess I will upgrade the frame now, woo hoo!

Favorite Trail:   Willow Creek, Bass Lake

Purchased At:   Rock n Road Laguna N

Similar Products Used:   FSR XC Comp 26er, K2 Attack FSR, Specialized Hardrock.

Bike Setup:   stock 29er, Crank Bros Candy pedals

Submitted by capriol a Cross Country Rider from Bologna , Italy

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    Light frame , good components for the price paid , and size

Weaknesses:    saddle and specialized tires stock

Bottom Line:
very good for climb and descent in cross-country trails
responsive and aggressive racer gun .

I'm height 1.90 meters and 91 kilos weight I want a 21 inch
framesize is perfect for the cross-country rides.
Not good for jump and other freeride situation , they don't
be my kind of mountain biking

Favorite Trail:   Orsigna , Porta Franca,monte Cavallo

Purchased At:   Specialized dealer o

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz chameleon first edition , lee cougan revenge

Bike Setup:   stock except specialized handlebar low riser and stem lenght
100 mm , now I replaced the saddle with Kuota and seatpost
Ritcheylogic pro , Michelin X-country Dry tires ,Crank bros eggbeater Ti pedals

Submitted by TAWhit a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, NH

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame, specced out pretty well. Fast and climbs very well.

Weaknesses:    None yet, still on the fence with the Shimano 542 crank. Crank seems a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
I am thrilled with this bike so far, really fast and a joy to ride, the shock is great as well. (Fox Float F90 RL).I wanted a hardtail with good components, I'm glad I went with the Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Tested 4 other bikes, the Stumpy was the best for my money.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano 540 pedals, Thomson stem and a Thomson post.

Submitted by Malamute a Cross Country Rider from belgium

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    Fox F90-RL fork, XO rear derailleur, and comes with a good saddle aswell

Weaknesses:    LX front derailleur, crank brothers pedals(they broke on the 2nd run), tires (they loose traction on every terain)

Bottom Line:
The first ride on the bike it amazed me by its climbing abilities, rocky or dusty even muddy terain or trees whatever it climbs nicly over it, and the more u get used to the bike the better it climbs, tho u will have to change the tires asap because they are really worthless in every way.
On the flats the bike is really stable and the faster u ride the more controlable it will become, also very nice in maintaining speed on false flat sections and withoud noticing u will even accelerate even more on the false flats.
Going downhill thats where the bike dissapoints me, its controlable, but when u go to fast downhill the bike will go its own way and become very hard to trow around corners.
It also gets rather bumpy the faster u go wich makes braking tricky at some points. That being said my driving style is quite agressive tho, maybe the unstalbe handling might become better with wider wheels. But then again its a XC bike and not an all mountain bike.
the braking part is also nicly secured as the bike came with avid juicy ultimate brakes, the only downpart aboud these is when u have to bleed them, its just a pain in the ass.

overall i would say its a very good bike, just downhill it tends to choose its own way.
it comes nicly equipped with good parts just the tires are rubbish
The ppl who should buy it are the ppl who like to go hard and like to enjoy all aboud Xc riding at an affordable price, the ppl who like to ride very agressive (like me) should go for another bike because the descending is not what its supposed to be and imo also not to stable when jumping
it gets 4chillies on value because the tires and pedals and 4 on overall for the descending part

Purchased At:   a store in belgium

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC, Cube LTD

Bike Setup:   (I ride the Specialized EXPERT alu, not the Comp disk but there was only an expert carbon so i wrote my revieuw here because the price is aboud the same as this one, just abit more expensive.)Fox f90 RL forks, x9 shifters, Xo rear derailleur, Lx front derailleur, dt 420sl wheels on specialized hubs, Continental mountain king tires, XT pedals

Submitted by sirtwist a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Great Graphics and Design
Supple rear end
Lightweight (3lbs I believe)
Well designed cable routing (ie, not under the down tube)
Short head tube for proper head down racing
Great geometry for both racing and general xc riding

Weaknesses:    None that I've come across yet

Bottom Line:
Fantastic frame. Such a shame Spesh don't sell this seperately. But the packages they sell are well spec'd for the money.

I love the way that it's comfortable (both geometry and the supple rear end) and also very very very direct power delivery. Everybody who's ridden my bike is astounded at it's acceleration. You turn the pedal, all the power shoots to the rear wheel, no chainstay flex, nothing.

I've not had a single moment when I've thought, "This bloody frame" like I've had with other frames - it's been a delight since day one. I'll own it till I break it, I'm sure!

Why go carbon when this alu frame is so much nicer, and longer lasting.

Purchased At:   Frame only on ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kona Fire Mountain, Cube Reaction K18, Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Custom built, this is a review of the frame only. Reba Team, Easton XC TWo wheels, Deore dual control, deore throughout.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Durham, North Carolina, USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    The M5 frame is very light at ~24lbs. The bike is fast as a rocket and climbs like a mountain goat. Very responsive handling in the technical sections.

Weaknesses:    The stock tires are great on dry trails, but lose traction in loose or wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for XC riding. It's fast, maneuverable, and climbs great. It has a nice component spec for the price, but you will want to swap the tires if your trails aren't usually dry.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton EC90 XC bar and seatpost, Shimano XT crankset, and Time Atac XS pedals

Submitted by Mike McCarthy from Castro Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Excelent climbing ability. This thing can go up anything. The stock weight is 24 lbs.!!!!!! It's great. The tyres roll great as long as the trail is dry.

Weaknesses:    If you plan on doing anything rock or techinal, this is not for you, unless you want to invest in a truing stand. The rims are not the best ever to say the least. As soon as the trail gets wet at all, the tyres begin to give out on you.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the fireroad riding at Lake Chabot, or anything that's not very rocky. I took it up to Annadale for some real hard riding and i thought that my wrists were going to fall off. This bike is amazingly light, and it climbs like a beast.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop (get a discount because i work there)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic, Hardrock, Cannondale Rush7

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except for new enternals on the fork, Monkey light straight bars, XTR chain and cassette

Submitted by ash a Racer from oakland,ca,

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    The frame is super nimble. I built this bike to race, and am happy I did. Also, speacailized does a great job of getting there geomatry right. Frame is great!

Weaknesses:    The rear end is a little to much spindally, wich it could be a little more stiff.
If you are going for specifics you are going to have to make some huge changes. For example, I wanted a xc racing hardtail. I had to swap most of the stock parts for higher end parts.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike that has a ton of potential. Whith this frame I was able to get it down to 24 pounds and plan on shaving even more weigh.

Favorite Trail:   any were in nor cal!

Purchased At:   wheels of justice montclair

Similar Products Used:   Trek hardtails, rocky mountain instinct.

Bike Setup:   Speacailzed stumpjumper comp frame, avid juicy 5 disc brakes, fox 80 fork, xtr wheels, fsa carbon seat post, wtb stealth saddle, fsa carbon front end (stem and handle bar), spram x.p rear derailer and cassete, shimano front derailer, and much more!

Submitted by Brendan a Racer from Pittsburgh pa usa

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Strengths:    Its fast, really fast. Love the SRAM shifters and rear derailer. stiff frame and shocks. Fox shocks rocks!

Weaknesses:    I feel like it could be a little lighter. the tires suck on wet trails and steep hills. suggestion, go tubless unless you ride in hot dry climate. i prefer hayse breaks over juicy 5, but thats just me.

Bottom Line:
no doubt, this is one of the fastest aluminum bikes you can buy, but it takes a beating on your wallet. dont buy this bike for crazy freeriding, this is a cc racing machine.

Favorite Trail:   Bavington state game lands

Purchased At:   Snickers

Similar Products Used:   Big Sur by gary fisher

Bike Setup:   07 stumpjumper comp stock

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Great handling, light, a powerful climber and flexible. The Stumpjumper is a great overall mountain bike for beginners (like me) and experts alike (which will probably want to change some components). Its agility can forgive some of your mistakes during your first runs with it. As soon as you get the hang of its nervous handling you will find yourself surprised that a few days before you passed the same obstacle with difficulty. The Fox suspension works marvel over any surface and smoothes out rough rides. Descents takes advantage of the fork by maintaining control at all times, which surprised me the first time until I decided to let go and found the bike responding with precision.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if my bike was done on a monday morning or a friday evening but I had all kind of problems with it that are attributed to its manufacturing. The first thing that happened, after a month or two of soft riding, is that the chain opened up while I was accelerating, bringing the expensive (I discovered that day) rear XTR derailleur meet its forward couterpart. This scratched the rear Mavic rim but didn't wave it. After brief bargaining it was agreed thatSpecialized would pay for half the bill. The second problem, 15 months after the bike's purchase, was the bolt that holds the seatpost broke while I was riding on a straigth and level road. The saddle wedged itself between the frame and wheel, waving the rim so much it contacted the frame and prohibited me from turning it completely. After finding the bolt and examining it I discovered it had sheared from fatigue. Specialized refused to pay for it, stating they didn't know what I had done with the bike (and the fact that the 1 year warranty had worn out), but the store didn't charge for the time it spent repairing it (which saved me a couple of dollars). The only other problem is the brake system (mine came with the Shimano M-555) that sticks and whines, but after a while they break in (around .

Bottom Line:
Awesome! A single word to describe an agressive and agile XC bike. I'm 6', 200 lbs and I ride an 18" frame. The small frame enables a quick response from the bike but doing it all over, I'd go for the 19" frame instead.
My next bike is surely going to be a Specialized.
Specialized may need to work on the quality of some of the minor components complementing the bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   ABCCycle

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Bike Setup:   As purchased (except for a new seatpost and back wheel rim that is). I plan to change the brakes for Avid Juicy Carbon and the clips (lots of dirt find its way in mine).

Submitted by paolo a Cross Country Rider from Rome Italy

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
incredible dynamic

Similar Products Used:   giant xtc1

Bike Setup:   fork fox 80 rlt, sram rocket,shimano xtr, sella italia slk
crankset fsa

Submitted by XC a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2005

Strengths:    Great handling, light, stiff.

Weaknesses:    Harsh ride, the stock wheel are tempermental.

The shimano brakes work great but I have had problems with the calipers sticking. Also I seemed to tear through brake pads at an alarming rate.

I found the head angle to be a little shallow this made it a challenge in flat terrain. I could quite get it to carve flat single track like other bikes.

Bottom Line:
The best handling bike I have ever had. Easy to flick around great on the steaps. Excellent race bike I used it at world championships. The only problems were with some of the shimano parts. A bike this cheap can't be perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Vertex, Norco Torent, Gary Fisher Mt. Tam

Bike Setup:   Upgrades: Easton Carbon riser bars. DT 240 tubeless wheels with stans sealent.

Submitted by DJR a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    Fox Float forx
M4 Frame

Weaknesses:    Handle bar - Flat bar - alot of forward position for the longer ride

Bottom Line:
Fast bike, very predictable and climbs well. I'm 6'5" , 200 lbs and experience alot of lateral sway in a lesser bike when hammering on pedals. This bike stands up well, the frame 21" is stiff yet the fox forx help to smooth out the bumps. A couple of things to note, I had to readjust the rear derailler, the chain kept skipping when pedalling hard. The brakes take a while to break in, just keep wailing on them and they will come around. A very racey feel, ment to go fast yet on a longer ride the back can get a little twitchy, add the riser bars and ride forever. A great bike for anyone who rides fast on moderate terrain, haven't raced yet but a great platform for upgrades.
Happy Trails