Specialized StumpJumper A1 Aluminum XC Hardtail

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

'96 Specialized StumpJumper A1 Aluminum

Submitted by RGC575 a Weekend Warrior from Gatlinburg, TN

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    You can't beat the classic aluminum frame. This bike has taken beating after beating and still carries my 225 self around. That's 15 years of riding for work and play

Weaknesses:    My bike shop mechanic said it is a museum piece but I can't part with.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a weekend trail rider and then it went into service as a police patrol bike 8 hrs a day 5 days a week in heavy traffic and unfriendly paved terrain. It's back to riding the trails and it is still as awesome as the day I bought it. I found it as a model year close out and it was probably one of the best purchases of my adult life.

Favorite Trail:   Streets

Purchased At:   Bike Zoo in Knoxvill

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Chill, GT Timberline, Specialized Rockhopper, Diamondback Comp

Bike Setup:   I've made a few changes for work, I've added racks and bags, lights, batteries, Spynergy Wheels, and gone to a more road friendly tire.

Submitted by Scott Edwards a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, no-frills. Even though the straight-guage tubing is a tad heavier than butted, I like it better because it is stiffer and can take a beating. Plus, this bike looks great. The tubing is not too fat or too thin and it has a very classic race geometry that will never go out of style. Mine is black with the silver/yellow lettering.

Weaknesses:    none, really. Its a classic hardtail and hard to fault this design. I have heard bad things about the son-of-strongarm cranks that came stock on this bike, but I have pounded these pretty hard for seven years now with no problem.

Bottom Line:
I was looking at several full-suspension rigs (Palomino, Blur, Fuel, Razorback, FSR) but can't really justify the investment since this bike rocks! It was punishing without the suspension seatpost, but after getting the Thudbuster and a cutout gel saddle, I float over everything while seated. Overall, this is a fairly heavy hardtail (27lbs) but the seatpost adds a lot, and the Atom Bomb is no lightweight, but I wouldn't trade the fork/seatpost for anything else. I plan on upgrading to lighter wheels, cranks, bottom bracket, handlebar and barends to try to drop a couple of pounds. If I can get this machine to 25lbs, I'll be pumped! I ride the mountains of western North Carolina, which is rocky, rooty, twisty and steep. This rig can hang with anything out there, so far.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Purchased At:   Yellow Springs Cyclery, OH

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9500 (too sluggish in the turns) Mongoose IBOC (not a bad ride) Kona Fire Mountain (first bike, street riding only)

Bike Setup:   Atom Bomb fork, Chris King headset, Thudbuster seat post, 747 pedals, Ti stem.

Submitted by Carl a Cross Country Rider from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2000

Strengths:    Reliable, strong bike. With all my gear, I ride at 200 lbs +. This bike climbs well and is very stiff. Responsive to poundin' on the cranks. Came with 800 x-ray shifters and an XT rear derailler, when set up correctly, shifts flawlessly.

Weaknesses:    A little too stiff that going over the rough is challenging. One needs to really use your arms and legs to allow the bike to float underneath you while going over the rough parts.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike in the rainy, nasty, weather of the Northwest, the rolling hills of southern California, and now the hot sands of Saudi Arabia and can honestly say that this bike is a very good all around bike. If you can tolerate feeling every bump and getting your butt off the saddle, this bike can work for anyone. The only negative I see is that the stiffness limits your speed on the narly, tough downhill sections of trails.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830

Bike Setup:   Manitou Pro shock, LX 222 rims, XT/LX drivetrain, original 800 XRAY shifters (which still work good as new)

Submitted by rm a Weekend Warrior from vancouver bc

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    every time I replace the old parts I like this frame more and more. New wheels and drivetrain recently, and it's better than ever

Weaknesses:    It looks cool and people walking around tell me so, even though I have sprayed over the logos. I need another bike to travel around the city on.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike enough that I would get another one. Except that I have spent more on upgrades than I did on the whole unit new..

Similar Products Used:   Admit it's my first good mountain bike. Had a Peugeaut before that worked..

Bike Setup:   lx, rino lite rims, z3

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    strong, stiff, durable, This is a great bike that has served me well for nearly 4 years. Most parts have been upgraded and or replaced.

Weaknesses:    Straight gauge aluminum is stiff.

Bottom Line:
This is great all around bike that has held up well under four years of heavy use. Bike handles well and is predictable and stable. Frame has no visible damage despite being riden by rider wieghing 185+. Bike is stiff but that is both good and bad.

Favorite Trail:   lock 4