Specialized S-Works M5 Disc XC Hardtail

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by supergoosepro a Cross Country Rider from singapore

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    Killer looks. Strong built. Reasonably Light

Weaknesses:    Paint easily chips off and not using a integrated bearings headset.

Bottom Line:
Value for money for a race-capable bike

Similar Products Used:   trek 8500

Bike Setup:   SHIMANO XT/XTR Groupset

Submitted by KenGouru a Cross Country Rider from London UK

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, stiff, direct power transmission... extreme cornering!

Weaknesses:    it's red...

Bottom Line:
This is the sickest HT I've had in my entire life. Climbs like a angry squirrel, rides smooth, and downhill I even forget I'm on an hard tail. This is a bit more then a nice XC bike, this frame can take some heavy beating. It's solid, light and the handling is just stunning, it bends corners like a Go Kart! I'm having so much fun on this one, I'm seriously impressed. I'm a hardcore HT fan, my favorite spot are the Dolomites in the italian Alps and some of the british bike spots and this bike just rules on any terrain. And go for Nobby Nics on this one...

Favorite Trail:   Italian Alps

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Sintesi, Cannondale...

Bike Setup:   SRAM X9, Avid Elixir, Fox Forx, Nobby Nics...

Submitted by patskii a Weekend Warrior from QC Philippines

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight, catchy design, best value for your buck.

Weaknesses:    poor graphics, not so nice colors

Bottom Line:
I'd recommend this frame to all level riders. great value for your money. Although aesthetic graphics need some more improvement, overall experienced riders will be able to appreciate the tube's design. All in all its a great frame to keep and ride around in.

Similar Products Used:   GTS M5, GTS M6, 04 specialized M5

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT 07 group set, Avid Juicy Carbon, Mavic 223 disc, Amoeba Carbon handlebar, seatpost, Specialized stem, SARS headset, Velo saddle, specialized/topeak accessories

Submitted by hari sanjaya a Weekend Warrior from Denpasar-Bali-Indonesia

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2006

Strengths:    LIGHT AND FAST,AWESOME BIKE!!!

Weaknesses:    STILL LOOKING

Bottom Line:
VERY EXPENSIVE BIKE BUT BIKE VERY RESPONSIVE,THE BEST,BEST XC RACING MOUNTAIN BIKE EVER,JUST RIDE??!!

Favorite Trail:   BUKIT "ROCK" JIMBARAN

Purchased At:   singapore

Similar Products Used:   S-work M4

Bike Setup:   XO TRIGGER AND RD,XTR CRANKSET,CASSETTE,CHAIN & FD,AVID JUICY 7,FOX 100X,CROSSMAX SL

Submitted by Darren Ling a Cross Country Rider from Fairfield, Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    It's a hardtail! M5, candy paint job, ORE tubing, light and stiff=quick and fast, hardtails are just cool.

Weaknesses:    still looking for them...

Bottom Line:
What? Full suspension??? Buy a hardtail, and keep life simple. I really like this bike! The weight is light, and the bike is very responsive. All I have ever ridden are Specialized hardtails, and I have never been unhappy. I thought I had found my hardtail dream, until my friend called me and pointed out this '04 online. I had to have it! I couldn't be happier. I am taking the '04 out west in a few weeks, and am very excited to see how she handles some real off-road. I can't wait. Buy one if you race or are like me and like a very sweet S-Works hardtail! Get out and ride.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   mtb review

Similar Products Used:   '01 S-Works M4 Hardtail, '95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp A1 FS Hardtail SS conversion, Cannondale 1FG Ultra coming soon

Bike Setup:   '04 XTR disc grouppo, XTR disc wheelset, tubeless shoes and all the other stuff

Submitted by Nicola from Verona, Italy

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    A real climbing machine, this is the queen of xc racing mountain bikes (IMHO)

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I've noticed is that the rear disc brakes tube is not under the top tube.

Bottom Line:
Very expensive bike, but if you race this is one of the best mtb available, the best for me.
Before purchased it I tryed the Cannondale f4000, the full dynamix, the Bianchi , scott an others.
This was perfect for my riding style.
Maybe could be lighter?
Nothing is perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F5000, specialized M2, Scapin Blato

Bike Setup:   Full 2003 Xtr,. f80X fork, mavic crossmax xl, easton seatpost stem handlebar, aliante saddle.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Groton, CT

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    XTR disc brake, Fox Float F80X fork, Mavic SL disc wheels, and an excellent frame.

Weaknesses:    None except that it is slightly heavier then my old hardtail but that's the price you pay for the disk brakes and the excellent Fox fork.

Bottom Line:
This bike is everything I hope it would be. The XTR disc brakes work flawlessly with the exception of squealing when wet. The XTR discs have approximately the same stopping power as the XTR V-brakes but with much better modulation. The new XTR shifters work without a flaw and are quick to learn. I'm glad that Specialized does not spec. their bikes with rapid rise rear der. The Fox fork works exactly as advertised. When you get the fork dialed-in you don't even realize it is there. The added weight of the fork is worth its excellent tracking ability and not having to reach down to lock out the fork when climbing or sprinting. The Mavic wheel are light and stiff. The frame tracks and rides better then my old M4 S-Works frame.

Purchased At:   Newington Bicycle