Specialized Rockhopper XC Hardtail

4.36/5 (348 Reviews)

The Rockhopper is a time-tested XC hardtail built for cruising fire roads and slicing through singletrack. Equipped with Tektro disc brakes and a custom-tuned SR Suntour suspension fork with lockout, the Rockhopper combines performance with value in a package every rider will appreciate.
  • Fully butted M4 alloy frame for lightweight confidence over the roughest trails
  • Custom-tuned SR Suntour 80mm-travel suspension fork with hydraulic damping, proprietary Spike Valve, lockout with lightweight magnesium lowers, and alloy steerer delivers the supple ride qualities of a high-end fork
  • Light and durable double-walled alloy rims are tough enough to handle the rough stuff; Specialized The Captain Sport tires lend a perfect knob pattern for diverse conditions
  • Specialized The Captain Sport tires lend a perfect knob pattern for diverse conditions
  • SR Suntour replaceable-ring crankset uses Shimano's sealed cartridge bearing, Octalink-splined, BB interface for reliable power transfer and ease of service
  • Tektro Draco hydraulic disc brakes with dual pistons and forged calipers assure precision braking and durability
  • Shimano Alivio 9-speed rear derailleur and Rapidfire trigger shifters for reliable, high-end performance; Shimano 9-speed, 11-34t cassette offers gearing options for a variety of terrain types
  • Shimano 9-speed, 11-34t cassette offers gearing options for a variety of fitness levels

Submitted by Texasxc a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    This review is for the 2011 disc 26er, 17.5". With nearly perfect geometry, the Rockhopper holds a line like a cat on a rug. "Captain" stock tires are fantastic for most XC conditions (loose, dry, rocky, damp). SRAM’s 3x8 works perfectly and is very durable. The stock fork is very stiff and has nice action for a 150 lb rider. The Avid BB5 mechanical discs have a wonderful feel and are fairly powerful. Specialized did not skimp on the R&D for this model. This bike costs less than the wheelset on my EPIC S-works. The 2011 Rockhopper is an insanely good bike for the money!

Weaknesses:    Avid BB5 calipers take patience to set up. Lack of rebound damping adjuster could be an issue for some riders.

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck!

Favorite Trail:   Big Cedar

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   EPIC S-Works. El mariachi Ti

Bike Setup:   Stock, stem down

Submitted by Silverback

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    Low/ no maintenance; stiff enough for climbs supple enough for smooth gravity; good energy return when mashing; good geometry

Weaknesses:    New Components make it yours

Bottom Line:
I have a 2009!? Still rides great. I use this bike for training in the hills/ fire roads and hard pack, surrounding my house. Thus far, I have only changed the cranks to 175mm, wheel set to Rhino Lite rims with Deore XT hub. Just picked up some Avid B7 brakes (not installing until the season is over) I love this frame, it is a perfect fit for me (5'10.5" tall, 32" inseam, 210 lbs of hammerhead beefcake!) ?..Anyway...! I will replace the seat as often as needed, still not married to one specific seat. These slight upgrades have really made this "my bike". I really do not think there is a better XC for the money. I rode this thing stock for about 2 years. Think of it as a gateway to bigger things. Not sure you are willing to get serious about riding? This is a great way to decide. Style wise, you could go either way from this point, full-sus or hard tail (for real). Put it on the rrail and you will see. My Pivot Mach 5 was a logical step after the Rockhopper. The climbing is there, the speed is there, control on both ends of the speedometer is there. Although not a beginners tool, I highly recommend this bike to anyone as a beginner step or a low/ no maintenance training tool. GET SOME!

Submitted by Byron montgomery a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    This is a lightweight bike very strong on the uphills and the down.

Weaknesses:    the forks are my only problem with the bike.

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a very good bike that loves the uphills but when you arer going uphill the front end does like to come up and the forks on this bike are junk i would replace them with some fox shocks or some rock shocks cause the suntours suck!!!!!!!!!!!! but a great bike Love it.

Submitted by bdawgg

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Great starter bike. Good value. Lightweight, nimble, easy to maneuver.

Weaknesses:    Didn't take long at all for the derailleurs to start malfunctioning. Gears don't last long w/o needing a replacement.

Bottom Line:
This was my first mountain bike. It's served me well. Light weight makes it easy to take up slopes, but it's still reliable on downhills as well. My only complaint is the low quality derailleur system. Other than that, if you need a starter bike, this is a great choice.

Submitted by jeff lee

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Frame is built to be punished. Gears put the exclaimation point on this bike. The rims and tires make this bike glide up concrete steps! Love that front shock quick release lever!

Weaknesses:    wish they made a lever for the front shock to lock up when needed!. My only complaint is that this bike didn't come with peanut butter. LOL. I love this bike yo!! Thumbs up guys...

Bottom Line:
This bike is dynamite!! I beat the shiit out of it and it keeps up with my riding. I've had this bike for 2 months now and I have yet. To bend a rim. This bike rules. I've just started to learn wheelies on it. I've never been able to do that b4 on any bike. I'm 38 now and id rather ride than drive. 2 thumbs up guys. Keep up the good work. Oh and id be nice if you could make a lever for the quick release for the front shocks!!

Submitted by sknhgy a Weekend Warrior from Alton, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight. Good design.

Weaknesses:    Drive train.

Bottom Line:
I like the design of this bike but have had too many problems with the shifting. The chain used to fall off the small chainring. Then the chain would stick to the middle chainring when going from mid to smallest. Recently lost the lockout knob off the fork. The shifting still isn't great and I'm in the process of replacing the stock BB cartridge with on with a longer stem in order to get better shifting. Just too many problems for a $720 bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Valley

Similar Products Used:   Trek mountain bike

Bike Setup:   All stock 2011, 26 inch wheels

Submitted by masterlucasdude a Weekend Warrior from Nampa, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame, seat, and nice fork.

Weaknesses:    Crankset, shifters (mainly the front shifter, and wheels

Bottom Line:
First off Ken's bike shop has many nice bikes and fairly priced but absolutely do not stand behind their products.
I have already had to replace the wheels. Don't try hopping any curbs with the stock wheels; they just aren't sturdy enough. The most irritating part is the front shifter. This bike continually drops into a lower gear on it's own in the most inopportune times. This caused the center ring in the front gears to completely bend as I was on a steep climb. I bought this '09 Rockhopper brand spanking new last year and have already had to replace the wheels to a rhyno suntour wheelset (way sturdier), replaced the crankset to a shimano SLX (much smoother and stronger), and am about to switch out the stupid front shifter any day now. The sram x4 on it really really should be thrown in the trash and never be considered to be put on any bike. Well maybe a child's bike. This bike is a great frame but the components on it suck. I am really loving it after I have put an additional $450 + into it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Ken's bicycles shop

Bike Setup:   Stock setup was horrible.

Submitted by Erikgrvcty a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, price, looks, and handling

Weaknesses:    Stock rims (Alex Rims) and breaks (UP GRADE TO DISC)

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 235lbs, so I'm a bit of a Clydesdale. I ride a base 2009 21" Rockhopper that I bought in the spring of 2010 at my LBS. It's a great starter bike with some decent components and only minor problems.

The only two weaknesses that I can see on this bike are the rims and breaks. The rims just aren't up to my specs because they seem to come untrue easily. I'm a weekend worrier that xc rides and doesn't do anything crazy on my bike. IMO there is no reason, other than maybe my weight, that my rims shouldn't be true after only a handful of rides. My only other complaint is the rim breaks that came with the bike lack the stopping power that is required for a person of my size after only 6 months of use and 2 trips to the LBS for tightening. I only wish that my LBS would have warned me of this when I bought the bike because I would have upgraded to disc on the spot.

I plan to upgrade to a set of Avid bb7s breaks and a new set of rims shortly. Other than those two minor issues it is an amazing bike that handles well and is very light IMO. I have also ridden my brother-in-law's stock Giant (not sure what model but know it was around $650 new) and was very pleased to find that my bike handled better and was faster. So after about 300 miles of riding I feel that I can say that the base Rockhopper is a great starter bike for someone that is new to the sport but I would recommend upgrading to disc breaks. Also IMO the frame would be a great base to build a bike off of on a low budget.

Favorite Trail:   Great Wall Loop, Clarks Hill, SC

Similar Products Used:   Giant Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock but not for long

Submitted by Space Seed a Cross Country Rider from Amherst mass U S A

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    Steel. Great looking red and just a beautiful bike. great handling too.

Bottom Line:
I really use this as a trail bike, not really a mountain hard core rider. Getting older ! you know. i love these cromoly steel bikes. this one i bought from a person who just really had no use for it. it was in like new condition, so i paid a bit for it. Bike companies really don't make them like this anymore. Unless you pay big money for a custom. A bike like this will never let you down. You can always change the components later if need be. If you see one that is in good shape , get it. just dry it off, when it gets wet , and it will last forever, but you will not !!

Favorite Trail:   rail trail

Purchased At:   private party

Similar Products Used:   old mongoose, Schwinn , Giant

Bike Setup:   basic bike parts shimano cheap parts, but work fine

Submitted by dancingoutlaw a Weekend Warrior from simpsonville, sc

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    Handles well, good brakes, great shifters, front suspension soaks up pretty much anything I've thrown at it going downhill. Light weight, climbs well on smoother trails, seems very durable.

Weaknesses:    Stock grips are worthless, front derailleur sometimes changes from 2nd sprocket to 1st on steep climbs in very low gear, stock tire tubes easily damage, climbing rooted and leaf covered trails, the tires lose traction very easily, with damp conditions they're downright dangerous.

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountain bike and I seriously considered a comparably priced Cannondale and Trek but I have no regrets about my purchase. I plan on replacing the stock grips and getting different tires as soon as possible and those are probably the only mods. I will make before I eventually upgrade to a full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   kanuga