Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc XC Hardtail

4.48/5 (40 Reviews)

Recreational XC Hardtail
A reliable, efficient and trail-tough hardtail that packs a ton of performance into a light and easy-to-love package. Maybe you're just rediscovering riding, or perhaps just discovering the unbeatable joy of exploring long, fast, sweet trails. With nearly 25 years of continual refinement and race-bred performance trickled down from our Stumpjumper line, the Rockhopper is a reliable, efficient and trail-tough hardtail that packs a whole lot of performance into one easy package. The Rockhopper's entirely redesigned frame is lighter than ever and classically tuned for trail riding, with just the right blend of quickness and composure.

Submitted by fuzzylogic a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Strengths:    handling, good looks, climbing ability, decent front shock.

Weaknesses:    hubs, brake noise and stiction issues, plastic derauiler cage

Bottom Line:
I am on the heavy side at 250 lb. I put this bike through quite a bit of xc, but never abused it by jumping etc. It handles like a dream for recreational bike.
Hovewer, there are problems: rear hub pawls wore out after 1500km. Chain and casette were close to being done at the same time. The wheel went out of true a few times. Front hub (Specialized Hi Lo) needs constant upkeep.
Saddle needed to be replaced as the original felt like permanent colonoscopy. Pedals were replaced with SPD - slippage on the stock pedals was bad.Original tires wore out at 1500km - not a big loss, they were plain dangerous on wet roots.
Rear derauler has parts of the cage made of plastic - this cacked and in time caused the unit to malfunction due to alignment issues.
I upgraded the rear wheel to DMR revolver 6 pawl (same like the reviewer below) and found out this to be a complete crap - lasted about 800 km before pawls got chewed. Not covered under warranty....
But the worst part was a crack in the frame which I discovered during regular maintenance - on the non drive side at the crimping where the chainstay goes around the tire there was a crack. I am not sure if this was caused by stiffening the rear wheel, or by my leg torque trying to twist the frame.
As this was a second handed bike Specialized told me to get lost - I was not after a free frame, but it would be nice of them to consider selling me a frame under their crash protection program.

Good bike if you are not a clyde. Otherwise stay away. If you are a clyde and think about upgrading this bike for durability - it is not worth it. Start with something sturdier to begin with.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills, Durham Forest

Purchased At:   second handed

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance, Ellsworth Epiphany

Bike Setup:   SPD pedals, Specialized body geometry saddle

Submitted by fuzzy_logic a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great looks, quick handling, decent components, rigid frame, pain chips easily.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, grips, tires, saddle.

Bottom Line:
I am on the heavy side - 250 pounds. Riding this bike on gnarly trails has given it a good work out last season.
Because of my weight I had hand built rear wheel to make the bike stiffer - I guess front is coming soon to match.... Drive train - chain, cassette - wore out 60% in one season (about 1500 km), but I don't have an issue with that - it was under severe load. Freehub body died - this was somewhat premature (thus upgrade to revolver pro 5 bearing hub with 6 pawls). In the future I will continue upgrading the bike for better durability and stiffness at expense of weight.

Stock tires REALLY SUCK. I kissed the ground a few times because it just slipped on a wet root. I could also not climb out of seat because I was loosing traction all the time. On the positive side the tires had quite lower rolling resistance than my current ExiWolfs.

I had some issues with rear derailleur skipping (few close calls of front teeth nearly biting handlebar) and Juicy caliper pistons getting stuck and grinding.

Overall, I love this bike, however I might consider an upgrade to full suspension. It handles great, climbs well - very enjoyable bike overall.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Purchased At:   Second handed

Similar Products Used:   2005 rockhopper comp disc.

Bike Setup:   2009 model, SPD Shimano pedals, Specialized body geometry saddle, mavic 721 rear rim with revolver pro 6 pawl hub, campy chain, ExiWolf 2.1 tires.

Submitted by chovey a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    The M4 frame is very versatile and gives just enough rigidity that you trust it, without it feeling like you're brainstem's rattling apart. The bike is very responsive through corners and it is beautiful to trick around on quasi-trials, even with the 21" frame (I'm 6'3"). I use this primarily as an XC bike, but it's worked as a jumper and an all-mountain on some gonzo-abusive technical stuff that I'm embarrassed (or proud?) to say I took a hard-tail on.

The stock gearing (44/22) is a perfect range. I've only run out of gears twice in 5 years.

Overall this is a reliable, low-maintenance bike well worth getting.

Weaknesses:    The stock rims might as well be made out of tinfoil for how durable they are. After every ride, I had to true the rims; after three weeks the metal was so fatigued that I had to dump them and upgrade.

Another weak stock component is the chain. I'm not sure everyone else would have this problem because I generally hammer on the pedals a lot, but I literally shot the chain off the bike... twice (same make/model, Shimano HG-73 and the break was NOT at the missing link). The second time involved faceplanting and bribes to keep it off youtube, so upgrade the chain and get something durable if you are not much of a spinner or exhibitionist.

Also, the stock shifters have a built-in window you can't remove, so if you want to set up your bars for one-fingered braking by switching the positions of your shifters and brake levers (the best all-mountain setup you can do for yourself if you have hydraulic brakes), expect disappointment... and sadness.

I guess the lesson is, "Specialized: good on frames and overall bike-ness, bad at wheel-related needs." Be prepared to swap a few parts.

Bottom Line:
Specialized: excellent on frames and overall bikes, but bad at wheel-related needs. If you're a medium to advance rider, be prepared to swap a few things. But overall this bike is phenomenal and I wouldn't want to ride anything else.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch, Boulder CO

Purchased At:   University Cycles, B

Bike Setup:   RockShox Recon 335 SL fork
Avid Juicy 3 on front and back (G2 Clean Sweep rotors)
Shimano Deore front derailleur
Shimano XT rear derailleur
Shimano Deore SL shifters (upgrading soon)

Submitted by urfree2bu a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2010

Strengths:    This is for the 2010 SL model. It rocks man...no pun intended. Very light Bike(23 lb)it's a solid ride, I'm very pleased...the Reba SL fork is awesome, I actually like it better than the 36 Fox Vanilla I have on my Ibis Mojo. The balance is good...and when I am forward in charge mode...it corners well...when the front end pushes...it's gradual, nice.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really road this too hard to the point where I'making diggers, but after two runs through some mild creek beds(nothing like Downieville), the front rim got tweaked. Gotta keep an eye on that.

Bottom Line:
I can keep with the fully suspended guys around here on this bike...granted they may not be the best riders...but it's a capable bike for sure. I didn't expect that:) Solid, Solid bike. After riding 150 miles from Nicaragua to Costa Rica on a clapped out Schwinn, I spent 6 hours deliberating before I chose the bike. I guide crazy adventures around the world and this bike does the job and then some. I am really surprised how well it rides, not sure how many adventures it will last cause I am a beater...but I'm confident it will get the job done for anyone who wants to shred the weekend trails.

Purchased At:   Ciclo Guilly, Liberi

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche!

Bike Setup:   XTR-style Shimano Deore XT Shadow rear derailleur delivers top-of-the-line shifting performance
DT Swiss 445D disc-specific rims are double-walled with sealed cartridge hubs for strength and durability
RockShox Reba SL Dual Air fork features a highly tunable air spring, plus motion control damping and adjustable rebound/lockout for light weight, stiffness and consistency
Fully butted M4 manipulated alloy frame with ORE down tube and asymmetrical seatstays for trail-optimized light weight, durability and compliance
Avid Elixir 4 hydraulic disc brakes feature organic compound brake pads, reach adjustment and G3 Clean Sweep rotors for unmatched stopping power in any condition
Shimano 2-piece replaceable ring crankset for stiffness and efficiency, with outboard bearings that put power straight to the wheels

Submitted by duneracerx a Cross Country Rider from The Mo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    This is an all around decent set-up for a hardtail. The frame is great for maneuvering high speed-technical runs, and rigid as all get out when climbing.

Weaknesses:    I think Specialized could have stepped up their game in the component selection. I'm not really going to whine about the Deore, LX, and Juicy combination, but this is supposed to be the "Pro" level of configuration. How about some "Pro" level components?

Bottom Line:
This is a great platform from which to build a gnarly trail rig. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe this was the same frame geometry as the '06 Stumpy. Plan on spending some cash to upgrade components as they break/wear-out and you probably won't be in the market for a new hardtail for a very long time.

Favorite Trail:   the only trail around here...

Purchased At:   a back alley deal at

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500
Gary Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   Crank Bros. candy's
Crank Bros. Cobalts
Switch off between fast trak tires and captains depending on terrain.

Submitted by johnspencer a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA.

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    This is a review of the 2007 model.
Light frame (17" size), good geometry, nice color (mango), handles trails well.
I've had the bike over three years, and I've loved it. I've rebuilt the bike with modern products.

Weaknesses:    Seat & Seatpost, small handlebars, super heavy wheelset, cheap pedals.

Bottom Line:
With this new setup the bike dropped 3lbs. It's down to just a tad over 22lbs.
I'm in love with the bike again, but I did spend twice as much on the rebuild as I did on the original (complete) bike. I could have gone out and purchased a new Stumpjumper comp with the money I spent, but I really love the Rockhopper frame....it's like an old pair of broken in jeans, and I was not willing to let go just yet.

You might think I'm crazy riding rigid forks, but the Pace RC-31's are great forks, and the trails I ride are rather smooth & flowy (few rocks & roots).
I have an Ibis Mojo for the rough stuff.

Favorite Trail:   I'm not telling : )

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes - Palo

Bike Setup:   Most of the original parts have worn out since I bought the bike (October 2006). I've rebuilt the bike from the ground up in January 2009.
The bike is set-up like this now:
Original frame (17") original paint with all the badges of combat (scratches)
Original Juicy 3 brakes (new - pads, hoses & fluids)
Original Shimano Deore shifters (new cables)
Original XT front & rear deraleurs
Easton Havoc DH Bars (28") & Stem (60mm)
Chris King Headset
TruVativ Stylo Cranks (175) outboard bearings
Crank Brothers Acid 1 pedals
Pace RC-31 Carbon/Titanium rigid forks
Race Face Next SL carbon seatpost
Velo Saddel
American Classic wheelset (tubeless setup)
IRC Mibro Tubeless 26x2.1

Submitted by Bodie6 a Cross Country Rider from Fredonia, NY

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2009

Strengths:    Frame
Disc Brakes
Suspension

Weaknesses:    Tires
Shifters

Bottom Line:
The 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc is an excellent hardtail bike. I took it out on some extremely wet and muddy trails, and it performed beautifully. Although the stock components are not top of the line, I have no real complaints. Since my previous bike had V-brakes, the disc brakes are a major upgrade (they worked wonders in the sloppy trail conditions). My only real complaint is that the tires are not the best for climbing. However, after you put on a more aggressive set of tires, this bike is a total beast. There was minimal chain slap, and the suspension made the ride smooth and comfortable. If you're looking to buy a sturdy xc hardtail bike, then you could do a lot worse than the rockhopper comp disc. I am extremely happy that I bought this bike, and I am looking forward to taking it out on many more adventures in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Eastside Overland Trail

Purchased At:   Hollyloft Ski and Bi

Similar Products Used:   Haro V-1

Bike Setup:   Stock (for now)

Submitted by Fiendbear a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo County, California USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight 25.5 pounds, 2Bliss ready, superb handling, predictable, super fast, great climber

Weaknesses:    Juicy 3s are just OK.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2008 Rockhopper Pro. The 2008 color is fantastic. The M4 frame is one of the finest I've ever ridden - not too aggressive, not too relaxed, but it finds just the right balance. A good selection of parts compliments the frame. Some folks complain about the tires, but these low knob tires are made for flying thru the hardpack and hitting the tops of bumps, not for grinding thru sand, mud or soft pack conditions. Always a tradeoff with tires - I prefer kick arse speed and don't mind giving up some traction in return.

The Rockhopper Pro makes me want to climb, climb, climb. This lightweight hard tail puts just about any full sus bike to shame when it comes to climbing. I tried several hard tails and the Pro was just so much better than anything else I demo'd. I run the tires at minimum psi and it just seems to fly downhill too, with no pinch punctures yet.

Definitely 5 chilis all around for the RH Pro. This bike just feels full of life - it is impossible to sit quietly and move slowly. This bike encourages speed. The only real down side is the confidence it gives you, sometimes outstrips the skill and experience of the rider!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere at Skeggs

Purchased At:   San Mateo County, CA

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Metal Matrix a Weekend Warrior from Stuttgart, Germany

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    I bougth the int. version (Germany; 1250 €)
lightweight frame worth upgrading, good geometry

Weaknesses:    none, yout get more "bling-parts" from other companys though...

Bottom Line:
The Rockhopper is everything but specialized. I don´t see it so much as the cheap Stumpjumper, but more as Specialized´s offer for people that want a true "do it all" hardtail. Geometry is a good compromise between relaxed but still stretched. Long frame with short stem! The bike is quiet light and with a few changes you might get well under 11 kg. Reba fork and Juicy breaks are faultless. With bigger tires (FastTraks are useless) and OEM bar it´s ready for agressive trailriding. With a straight bar, light tires and maybe a longer (100mm) stem it could make a reasonably good xc-racer. Perfect bike for starters and hardtail-fans.

Favorite Trail:   Black Forest

Purchased At:   Bikesport, Stuttgart

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper Comp 2001

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to full XT 770, Stylo Cranks, DT SWISS 340 hubs, Syntace P6 seatpost

Submitted by texaspromtb a Downhiller from San Antonio, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    Absolutely love this frame! Had the 2004 Hardrock Sport in a 19" and bombed the local trails on it, until I cracked it...damn hardtails! Built this 2003 Rockhopper Pro up from parts off the old bike and some new.

Weaknesses:    I moved to a 17" to hopefully get a little more control over the bike in the fast singletrack....seems like the lateral strength of the frame is slightly compromised when you are riding at a decent speed...I've slid out the rear of the bike more than enough times to know that it takes a delicate touch to guide this rocket!

Bottom Line:
This bike weighs in at a remarably light weight... 25.7 lbs. I am very impressed with the handling on the frame and love the acceleration potential: this bike will get up and go! The main point is that this is a pro bike at an unbelievably cheap price....awesome!

Favorite Trail:   Kelly Creek Ranch

Purchased At:   Helotes Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   2004 hardrock sport (with some upgrades), test-rode 2008 enduro sl, stumpy fsr, felt virtue team, and cannondale prophet.

Bike Setup:   A1 frame (silver anodized), rock shox judy sl, shimano spd clipless pedals, avid bb-7 mechanical discs, mavic ex325 disc rims, and geax barromarathoner tires...also running all XT...

Submitted by cagastineau a Weekend Warrior from Somerville, MA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    This is my first upper line bike since coming back to biking from childhood. This is a lightweight, fairly well fit factory bike. I haven't needed any upgrades or major services yet, but that might change soon.

Weaknesses:    The front shifter takes a bit too much push for my taste in gaining the top gear. My disc brakes (first ever), after two years, still have a bit of squeal when braking hard and the saddle is definitely one of the most uncomfortable ones I've ever ridden. Recently my bike has developed a squeaking and clicking sound when rotating the left crank. I need to take it in to the bike shop and have it checked out. The crank and pedal are tight, so perhaps the BB is soon to be in BB heaven.

Bottom Line:
So far I've used it on both road and off-road. Rides well with both. Great bike to start off with, but has some room for improvement in most areas of components.

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   Bike Source - Overla

Similar Products Used:   I initially rode a friend's old Trek 3500.

Bike Setup:   Factory Parts: (copied from Specialized's site)

SEAT BINDER New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 derailleur hanger

REAR SHOCK N/A

FORK RockShox Recon 335 SL, 100mm, 32mm alloy stanchions, alloy steer, disc only, Turn Key damper, lockout with rebound adjust, coil spring

HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless

STEM Specialized 3D forged alloy, four bolt, 31.8mm, 7 degree rise

HANDLEBARS Alloy 31.8mm Butted XC rise, 640mm wide, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick

TAPE / GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano LX

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Deore SL M511

CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t

CHAIN Shimano HG-73, 1/2" x 3/32" w/ missing link

CRANKSET Shimano FCM-540, Hollowtech, Octalink Spline, replacable rings with alloy outer

CHAINRINGS 44A/32S/22S

BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-25, Octalink Spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 118mm for 50mm chainline

PEDALS Specialized alloy 1pc, 9/16"

RIMS Specialized/Alex RHD 26, double wall disc w/ eyelets

FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, 32h, CNC flange and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR

REAR HUB Shimano FH-M475L, cassette, disc, 32h, QR

SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry, MTB

SEAT POST Specialized MTB butted 6061, two bolt micro adjust, 30.9mm

Submitted by darren a Cross Country Rider from hertfordshire, england

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2008

Strengths:    frame weight and geometry.reba sl forks and avid 5 disc brakes.price for wholeround spec good.nice colour very stealthy

Weaknesses:    front mech /crank and tyres,but when broken will upgrade to full xt anyway

Bottom Line:
for a sub £950 bike the rockhopper takes a lot to beat.with the m4 light weight frame and bang on geometry it makes this bike a nimble and responsive ride (specialy at high speed)so much that it carves up the trail spot on.i have found this bike is so easy to throw around its almost like a jump bike aswell as a xc hardtail.i wouldn't say its as comfortable on long rides as my p7 pro but its defitnatly a much easyer bike to ride specialy uphill.if you can pick up a 2007 rockhopper pro then grab it as the 2008 is not as nice colour wise and comes with the cheaper avid 3's not the 5's like the 2007.

Purchased At:   marshalls,welwyn

Similar Products Used:   orange p7 pro,klein attitude,giant xtc composite,orange 5 se,kona kikapu delux

Bike Setup:   standard 2007 spec,reba sl,avid 5's,xt rear,deore front mech/shifters/crank.specialized hubs and tyres with mavic rims

Submitted by Andy H a Weekend Warrior from Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight, strong, sound drivetrain, good brakes

Weaknesses:    Tyres prone to puncture (light but thin), detailed styling fussy, poor standard pedals. Paint finish nice but not sure of how hard wearing it is (anodised blue/grey). Would be nice to have a brighter choice of colour!

Bottom Line:
Tried a few bikes before settling on this one and very happy with the decision. The bike is light & fast enough that my transition from an old Diamondback meant I had trouble steering into corners (always going fast & wide). I love the feel of it and use it on XC & orienteering races as well as commutes. Detailed styling is a little fussy for me but as I replaced the seat & post anyway (persoanl preference only), it's a little more toned down now. Contrary to others I love the Avid brakes and after 2000 miles they're still going strong on the original pads. The best bike I've had and still look forward to riding it. Replaced the tyres after having multiple thorn punctures and now use Schwalbe Big Apples for the commute & Bonty Mud X's for the crap. Stock tyres used ocassionally but willl be replaced with something for the summer.