Specialized HRXC Disc XC Hardtail

• Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport tires
  • Specialized alloy seatpost

Submitted by Jman990 a Downhiller from Hopkinton, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Good beginner bike, great discs', OK ride

Weaknesses:    derrallers(shifters) front and back, front wheel warps, chain jumps, chain falls off when shifting heavily

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it unless your only going to have it for a low strain use. Really started going down hill after first lay down after having it for 1 mouth.

Favorite Trail:   Don't worry about it

Purchased At:   Good Dale's Bike Sho

Bike Setup:   Disc

Submitted by zmann800 a Cross Country Rider from florida

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2010

Strengths:    good frame feels like muck more expensive bike

Weaknesses:    fork is crap but has not broke. brake rotors and quick release have rusted along with the fork

Bottom Line:
this bike is great. I don't know what people are doing to make their bikes break. I keep mine tuned up and overhaul every 6 months. if you know how to ride this bike will stand up to a lot. i take this bike on intermediate trails all the time. over rocks off 3 foot drops and small jumps. the bike handles awesome. soon will set up with new fork, new stem and handle bars, bash guard, new tires, new rotors, new quick release when i get the money them i have no doubt this bike will be awesome to say the least. if you want a good bike that will get you into riding this is it.

Favorite Trail:   alafia

Bike Setup:   all stock (for now)

Submitted by notsomuch a Weekend Warrior from Orlando FL. USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    looks great solid frame

Weaknesses:    rims,deraileruers,shifters

Bottom Line:
don't take it off the pavement.rear rim bends,had to replace it first time off road.rear deraileruer is junk jumps all over.The only scrach is on the front fork and thats because the kick stand won't stay tight and the bike fell over.bike is 2 months old.I've taken it to the dealer for adjustments evertime I take it on the trails.2010 model is built with cheap parts.compare it to other brands components.I realize its a base model.And I don't ride it hard at all.My 06 was solid bike.frame was to large or I would have keep it.My best freind is new to the sport and I talked him into the same bike.he seen whats happening to mine and its holding him back for fear of breaking something.well its my last specialized going to sell it and get a different brand.

Favorite Trail:   santos

Purchased At:   orange cycle

Similar Products Used:   2006 hardrock sport,wife 08 hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   2010 hardrock disc

Submitted by bigpaulie69 a Cross Country Rider from new york, new york, united states

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Solid frame, disc brakes, good begginer bike.

Weaknesses:    fork seems very limited, rear derailer and brakes require quite a bit of adjusment after a day out on the trails.

Bottom Line:
Great begginer bike if you are looking to do some minor trail ridding and have this as an all purpose bike. But it will not stand up to any crazy fooling around. Each and every trail ride causes problems for the bike and i have stayed to begginer and intermediate trails only.

Favorite Trail:   cunnigham park

Purchased At:   grand bicycle center

Bike Setup:   2010 hardrock disc.

Submitted by BikerTeen007 a Cross Country Rider from Goffstown, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Strengths:    Disk Breaks, Shimano Rapid Fire Shifters, Front Shock, Colors, Price

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing for an entry-level biker like myself. It has an amazing disk break system that can stop on a dime. I shopped around several bike stores and nothing compared to the overall value of this bike. It also comes in cool colors!

Purchased At:   Goodale's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock Sport 2008

Submitted by nmullen a Racer from Arvada, CO, United States

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    Sturdy Frame

Weaknesses:    Weak Rims, weak handlebars

Bottom Line:
I take this bike off of 15 foot drops, 30 foot doubles, and downhill with it, if you under estimate the frame and components then dont get it

Favorite Trail:   Sky High BMX Track

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by RiceKilla a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton, FL USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Light, reliability, can go a little beyond its intended purpose, handling

Weaknesses:    Tires, grip shift system, brake levers, plastic platform pedals, thin grips

Bottom Line:
Bought in April 2008 used until mid December 2008.

This thing is built for casual off terrain riding, fire roads etc. I took this baby all mountain riding. When I was riding this I weighed a good 205-208lbs doing the occassional 3 foot drop, but routinely did 1-2 foot drops at my other local park. I was rough when I rode but took care of it when not(lubricatin, cleaning, etc.)

Only things that went out was a derailler hanger(my fault) when the bike slid from under me. Broke a rear axle, replaced under warranty, and there was a grinding in the bottom bracket, also replaced under warranty.

I would suggest the above upgrades that I did, as well as tires, I never got around to replacing the tires they last me until I sold it, and still had a bit of life left in them, but don't expect anything from them. Brakes didn't bite too well but they faired ok, could also use an upgrade. They were a tad scary on some descents at Markham park in Sunrise, but of course that's outside of the bike's intended purpose.

The front shock didn't provide much damping, at 80mm I didn't expect it to be plush, slighly plusher than a rigid fork I must say. As a beginner bike the trek 4300's front fork is def better.

The bike is tough and survived what I put it through and with my weight, overall happy and it is a decent value. Also, it was very tossable I enjoyed riding it, and it didn't give me too much trouble, great beginner bike, also look at a trek 4300, not as agile or light, but a tad more comfortable geometry wise, fork is a bit more plus as well.

Either way I have outgrown it, and have moved onto a Turner.

-4 chillis for value because it could use some upgrades to make the overall ride experience more enjoy(rapid shifters)

-4 chillis overall since it was an overall great experience and I could recommend the bike to friends or family just starting to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Markham -Outback!

Purchased At:   Bike America

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Canondale m400

Bike Setup:   Shimano SPD, rapidfire shifters, lock on grips, avid brake levers, all new cables

Submitted by johndhii a Weekend Warrior from Alsip, IL

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    Great Frame and bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Not a big fan of the shifter

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the entry level. I love the bike except the shifter. I bought this as a bday gift for my nephew, he picked it out and it was a preface to buying my Rockhopper.

Purchased At:   Cycle n Sports

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper comp disc

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by pdederko a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    As soon as I seen the bike I realized it was going to be mine. I have the copper color and it looks awesome - even mean looking. It's a pretty lite bike, rides nice on roads and uneven surfaces and it holds up well.

Weaknesses:    I would recommend better tires depending on the surface you'll be riding. I recently rode in Auburn, CA at Hidden Falls Regional Park and found that the tires are not suited for loose dirt-lots of slippage.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the most part. If you're a biker who jumps off cliffs and rides "really" hard, I would look for something with a rear shock since this one doesn't come with it. Front shocks work great and the brakes are outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   Going to be the Flume in Tahoe

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes in down

Bike Setup:   The bike is completely stock. I plan on purchasing new tires this month for the Flume Trail in Tahoe and some much needed bar extenders for the time you need some more pushing power up the hills.

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    Good solid frame decent components, so far so good about a 50/50 mix of road riding, trail riding. I'm 6'3" and bike is very comfortable don't use it for jumps or anything just trail riding and single track. Wheels are nicked up a bit already from branches I'm guessing but still run true. Front shock is pretty stiff but don't mind, not really adjustable even though claimed to be. Love the brakes, easy to modulate, I will probably upgrade the wheels first as soon as I bend 'em if ever, then the front fork but that's probably it. I like the basic frame and I like hardtail bikes, goes on the Saris Bones rack perfect.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
I love it and I can't wait to get home from work to ride it, so far so great for off-road.

Purchased At:   Erik's