Specialized Hardrock XC Hardtail

4.06/5 (583 Reviews)

The Hardrock earned its reputation as The Go-To Bike for anything from urban assaults, daily commutes, weekend off-road pursuits.
  • Fully butted A1 Premium Aluminum frame with double ORE down tube for a lighter, more compliant and durable bike, with disc mounts for upgrading
  • 80mm-travel fork with preload adjustment and size-specific spring rates means the suspension is dialed for your size
  • Light and durable double-walled alloy rims are tough enough to handle the rough stuff
  • Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport 60tpi tires use a reduced knob height for lower rolling resistance, but have plenty of grip for confidence on the trail SRAM 7-speed, 12/32t cassette replaces the freewheel mechanism of years past for lighter weight and more durability
  • Specialized XC saddle has front/rear bumpers for on and off-road durability and ample padding for comfort

Submitted by kingdomtrails13

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    frame, seat , wheelset , weight , cranks

Weaknesses:    rear and frount derailer, fork , stock tires

Bottom Line:
I have the most upgraded 2013 HR on the planet , bought this 2013 green hardrock in sept 2012 after 20 years of being out of mtn biking. Wanted something inexpensive with a good brand name. Got it for 420 at a LBS , nothing fancy it has v brakes etc. Since then Ive really put this bike to the test. This bike has been to Kingdom trails / the Burke bike Park in VT and survived it twice, Ive put about 200 +miles on this ,about 80% out on the trails . Ive done DH and XC on this and all held up.The frame is light and has a really cool kawasaki green paint job. However, the stock components suck, I tore off the no name handle bars and stem and replaced with a easton monkybar and thomsen stem. replaced both of the derailers with deore xt in frount and alivo in rear with a new chain. going to add an easton seat post and deore xt V brakes,added Maxis Larsen LT tires , just down to the wheelset , cranks/bb and fork , might go up to 8 speed, can get all inexpensive parts online, but the bike is a great platform if you want to tinker around and get an idea as a beginner what parts work etc. I like this bike but regret not buying a hardrock sport disk .

Submitted by shlomo weiss

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    so far so good......it rides smoothly....haven't had to replace any parts....only tires and brake pads

Weaknesses:    does anyone know if it's best to trade in a bike like this for a new one....say once every 2 years?

Bottom Line:
nothing to add

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Good frame. Goes where you want it on smoother surfaces (ie. road and light-off road). Does the job on longer rides (30-40 miles on mainly road). Easy to clean.

Weaknesses:    Shocks are entry level and not meant for anything beyond some roots and deviations. Altus rear derailleur (bought my bike in 2012) needs consistent cleaning and adjusting (some ghost shifting). The front derailleur requires negotiation and understanding (if there's any load, be careful, and when shifting, pedal one revolution slowly before continuing on or it will jam. *Brakes are okay for non-hydraulic disc, but give youself enough time to stop (and they squeak, and sometimes vibrate).

Bottom Line:
Overall, if you're looking for an entry level bike that you can push some, so long as you know what you're doing, it's good. When gear shifting, you have to keep your mind on what you're doing, and when braking, being aware of your distances., The shocks are good for light stuff, but wouldn't try them on hard trails at fast speeds. I bought it for riding (80% road with some bad roads and 20% off) on 10 - 40 miles. It's been good, so long as I have it tuned when necessary. Must keep the drive train extra clean or problems will creep up.

Submitted by Andy Clarkson a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    Very good specification for the money, a safe bet from one of the largest manufacturers and looks really good too. Worth upgrading parts in the future and in standard form a good bike for long rides, the saddle is surprisingly comfy and on my 26 inch version standard tyres are great for road and commuting. I am glad I went for bike with hydraulic disc brakes as the overall feel of the bike is one of quality and gives you great confidence. So much better than the rigid bike I had before which was a comparable price when new 12 years ago.

Weaknesses:    As with every thing you get what you pay for and the only compromise on this bike is the forks but they are fine for road and light trails, Standard tyres can be prone to punctures from thorns when used off road.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for about four months, mine is a 2012 Hardrock Sport Disc Int. and I am very pleased with it, I have used it on some really rough trails and muddy tracks with the only thing I have needed to change being the tyres which were not really up to handling thick gloopy mud. This bike is now being ridden on much rougher tracks than I originally planned and I would like to upgrade the forks on the Hardrock to something a bit better. I am now using Halfords own brand Bike Hut Kevlar aggressive tread tyres but these do have increased drag on the road. I have also changed to SPD pedals which work really well.

Duration Product Used:   1000 miles

Submitted by Adam a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Strengths:    I bought this bike around 3 months ago, since then I've taken It out to the local highland and down some trails, first off the weight is superb, very light. The forks are good and well balanced, the seat is very comfortable, for the price of 400 this is a good deal

Weaknesses:    But this bike is not the best, the disc brakes suck, the gears around 7 and 6 jump and the chain jams more than it should, the tires arnt very good and the grips need to be replaced as they jig around and slide. Apart from those it's good for the money considering these are problems you can work around I.e replacing disc rotors (cheap) grips, tires ect

Bottom Line:
All in all not a bad bike awesome frame nice forks good seat just needs a bit of work. This bike will be perfect for beginners for trails and mountain or even XC.

Submitted by Jesse845 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame, easlily upgraded

Weaknesses:    fork, crankset, shifters, brakes

Bottom Line:
I have a hardrock that I upgraded. I basically replaced everything but the frame over the past 2 years. The frame is solid. I put Deore 9 speede shifters on it, with an SLX rear D, XT front D, LX crank, deore hydraulic brakes and a fox fork. I love it now. Had I known better at the time, I would have just bought a $500 frame, and built up from there. Overall, a fine bike for a kid or commuter without upgrading. The frame takes abuse, and is worth holding onto. My buddy bought a HR frame on ebay, and bult a single speed bike from it.

Submitted by stuart a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2012

Strengths:    (2011 model) light frame with good geometry, comfy saddle, gears work well

Weaknesses:    BLOODY FORKS!!!!! tyres, brakes, brake levers

Bottom Line:
i bought the 2011 model for £370 as a beginners mountain bike, and i rode my local trails quite hard and rode it through 3 of the 7 stanes in Scotland on the original spec, (with the awful fork locked out) and i have to say the deraileurs (shimano alivio) are still working perfectly, the brakes (avid bb5s)are a bit weak and fade on long down hill sections and the back brake did seize after the scottish trip, the levers,...lets just say they get bloody cold and stiff on a frosty morning in the highlands, but i rode some pretty rough stuff on that spec and i didnt even get a puncture.

since then ive upgraded the forks to 120mm suntour epicons (which are fabulous,) they also have a 15 thru axle which has made the bike feel a lot tougher, ive also added some continental rubber queen tyres for extra grip and the bike is great, ive rode tonnes more trails since all over wales including penmachno which is a bike breaker as far as XC goes.

if you buy this bike to do some serious riding it will take it, but you will need to upgrade it at some point because the stock parts although they function well (APART FROM THAT BLOODY STUPID FORK) they arent the best, or maybe i got a good one!!!

Favorite Trail:   penmachno, betwys y coed

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   evans

Similar Products Used:   boardman hard tail

Submitted by Kelly a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2012

Strengths:    Price, weight, nice ride!

Weaknesses:    Wheels, crank, shifters!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, been riding it for 4 years and other than replacing the crank(because I wore it out by putting 2200 km on it in the first year), and upgrading the wheels to double walled from the sinle walled wheels that came on the bike. I also replaced the grip shifters with rapid fire for personal preference only! My riding style makes the hardtail perfect, very comfortable. Great bike for commuting to work and riding the trails. Put on a set of slicks that are good on trails as wel ad road and you'll love this bike!

Purchased At:   Clarks All Sports

Submitted by jgmu97 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great frame Good geometry Feels light Smooth drive train Powerful hydraulic disk brakes Looks great

Weaknesses:    Forks Chain set Pedals Front deralierre

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2012 Hardrock Sport Disk last year. Its been great , nearly got 900 miles on it and I've hardly been out on it. Looks amazing in the ' white , red , black ' colour way and feels great on and off road. The drive train is smooth and shifts well , however the front deralierre is pretty poor and so is the chain rings , BB and cranks. Also , the forks are good with the lock out option , but are limited in the way of adjust ability and are not very good and handling the bumps. Wheels are strong and have good bearings , still tru to this day and the tires are resemble at keeping you on the trail.

Use my bike for mostly XC or Road use. Upgraded the saddle to a Specialized BG Henge SL and i am currently upgrading the forks to : Rockshox XC32TK w/ Poploc and the crankset to a Shimano Deore M590 and the pedals to some Wellgo V8 copies. Am also putting new grips on as the old ones have worn down.

Overall , the bike is great . Perfect for beginners like me and can handle everything I've chucked at it. Worth every penny in my opinion. Defiantly my best toy .

Would reccomend to anyone looking for a good all round bike.

5/5

Bike Setup:   Bike : 2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disk ( White , Red , Black )
Forks: Rockshox XC32TK w/ Poploc
Crankset: Shimano Deore M590
Saddle: Specialized Henge SL
Grips : Exotic Lock On

Everything else is stock

Submitted by Gypsymage

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, disk brakes, good entry-level derailer, solid feel.

Weaknesses:    gummy handgrips

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc XC. This is my first real mountainbike in almost 20 years and my first time actually using a MTB as it should be. I have had it two days, and very impressed for an entry level bike. It shifts great, brakes great (disk breaks are awesome!) Comfortable to ride and easy to handle. I will most likely only do casual singletrail riding, so I do not expect to wear out the forks anytime soon, they seem to handle quite well for a casual rating. I tend to think that upgrading this bike will be more for "want" purposes than "need". Better handgrips are the first on my list, and since the derailer (Altus) ranks low on the recommended chart, at least it is on the chart unlike Trek's entry level bikes. It works very well for now and an inexpensive upgrade whenever I start having trouble with it. Overall, an excellent bike for the money, I would highly recommend it for any entry level rider, or if you are on a budget and willing to upgrade later. Trust me, get disk brakes at the start to keep upgrade costs down.

Submitted by Parker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Good frame,very versitile,fairly light weight, fun bike.

Weaknesses:    bad grips,only 80mm travel, small pedals.

Bottom Line:
ive had this bike for almost 4 years now and it has been good. it is the most versitile bike that i have ever owned. i have used this bike for 160 mile long road races, to downhill riding. it also works great on the single track. or hitting up the bike park. its a good bike for a beigener to intermidiate rider.

Favorite Trail:   birch hill dh

Purchased At:   beaver sports

Submitted by JCB123

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Tough as nails, never breaks!

Weaknesses:    RST fork, plastic pedals, v-brakes

Bottom Line:
I bought my hardrock sport new in 2005 and it has been bashed, crashed, jumped and abused by a 200lb maniac for the past seven years and nothing has ever bent or broken, NOTHING!!! It's fantastic! The only parts I've ever replaced are the tires and brake pads. I recently upgraded to a specialized enduro so the hardrock gets a reprieve from the trails but still ride it to work everyday. I will keep this bike forever, I love it!

Submitted by Robert

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    great bike for the price , looks and quality. rides , handles and stop just as it should.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy , forks , squealing brakes , grips (replaced with body geometry)

Bottom Line:
I have a 2012 Hybrid of this bike called a sport disc international. same frame fork combo , but upgraded to rockhopper running gear . 27 speed , tektro hydraulic brakes and so forth. (bike is as delivered in this country) great casual rider bike , good for trails, road or moderate single track riding. I have put about 1000 miles with no real issues other than squealing brake pads (stops great sounds like crap) wheels have stayed true , all bearing holding up , shifts , stops and handles as better expected for bike of this price ($600 , with cateye lights,and trip computer) A bike for the casual rider , strong enough to handle abuse at a price that won't brake the bank.

Submitted by luis arbizu

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2012

Strengths:    nice to ride, friendly to handle, good looking, breaks and componenets work perfect, my weight 250pounds the bike work perfect for me.

Weaknesses:    suntour fork is not the best option for this bike but i change it to a TORA and now she runs better

Bottom Line:
have to say is a very good option for this sport for the price the bike has, durability ect...

Submitted by Thubb

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Feels extremely solid, shifts smoother than I had imagined, and simply coasts downhill. Smooth ride overall. Got a few looks and (1) thumbs up while cruising yesterday. Lightweight as well. I've heard these can get kind of heavy.

Weaknesses:    Braking feels a little "dry", but road-worthy. Pedals feel cheap w/ the left being bent outward. Seat has nearly dug me a new bum-hole. <=This will be the first upgrade. Nothing other than that.

Bottom Line:
I am a newbie. Newbie being (Day 2) of my cycling experience. I bought this from a guy through Craigslist. He claims to have bought this brand new 4 years ago. The (only) reason I went with this over the Fuji 4.0 was this particular message baord. After riding (literally) through the night, and first thing this morning, I feel I've made a great desicion. I do plan to change out the "nobby" tires for something more slick (for added speed). I was thinking of making this a commuter, but I may just by a used "roadie" and make this a multi-purpose ride. I also passed up a Nishiki 18 Speed mtn as well. Didn't really like the build of that, plus the tires were (huge). Too much resistance for my pleasure. Thanks again guys and gals!!

Favorite Trail:   Will tell you after this weekend..

Purchased At:   Cragzlyst