Specialized Hardrock XC Hardtail

3.8/5 (123 Reviews)

The Hardrock earned its reputation as The Go-To Bike for anything from urban assaults, daily commutes, weekend off-road pursuits.
  • Fully butted A1 Premium Aluminum frame with double ORE down tube for a lighter, more compliant and durable bike, with disc mounts for upgrading
  • 80mm-travel fork with preload adjustment and size-specific spring rates means the suspension is dialed for your size
  • Light and durable double-walled alloy rims are tough enough to handle the rough stuff
  • Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport 60tpi tires use a reduced knob height for lower rolling resistance, but have plenty of grip for confidence on the trail SRAM 7-speed, 12/32t cassette replaces the freewheel mechanism of years past for lighter weight and more durability
  • Specialized XC saddle has front/rear bumpers for on and off-road durability and ample padding for comfort

Submitted by Jesse845 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame, easlily upgraded

Weaknesses:    fork, crankset, shifters, brakes

Bottom Line:
I have a hardrock that I upgraded. I basically replaced everything but the frame over the past 2 years. The frame is solid. I put Deore 9 speede shifters on it, with an SLX rear D, XT front D, LX crank, deore hydraulic brakes and a fox fork. I love it now. Had I known better at the time, I would have just bought a $500 frame, and built up from there. Overall, a fine bike for a kid or commuter without upgrading. The frame takes abuse, and is worth holding onto. My buddy bought a HR frame on ebay, and bult a single speed bike from it.

Submitted by OIIIJEEPIIIO a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, FL, Alachua

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Frame strength is unbeatable, components are the best for the money spent, this is the perfect bike to get for a commuter and then get the mountain bike itch (thats what happened to me)

Weaknesses:    Front fork lacks a true lockout and is a little stiff, and if you don't get disc brakes out the door you'll have to get new wheels and hubs just to get them afterwards. If your weight concious the bike is a bit heavy but I actually added weight to the bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to commute about 5 miles a day to and from work I was looking for a shortcut and found a dirt path ever since then I mountain bike about 20 miles a week on top of my daily commute, I love this bike even when I choose to upgrade this bike will still be mine to use, LOVE IT!

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco, Tung Nut Loop

Purchased At:   Super Cool Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Myka is the female version 3 months after I got mine for xmas my fiance bought a Myka, she loves it as well!

Bike Setup:   Swapped out the SR Suntour fork for Rock Shox Recon put on Avid BB7 disc brakes on a Sram x5 hub with WTB 28 wheels with crank brothers Mallet pedals.

Submitted by Terry Lake a Cross Country Rider from Danville IL

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    I bought a Hard Rock Specialized in 1988, still have it as my only bike. I used it for commuting around NYC back when I first bought it and occasionally took it our on trails. I had never had a good bike before this one and it has been amazing how far it has gone. 23 years and 5 sets of tires later I am still riding it. In 2004 I had new wheels put on also with new seat, new front gears and derailer. It cost me around 200 dollars for these needed repairs, but as I am aging I am still very happy with my bike.... Now I just use it on city streets and love it still!!

Weaknesses:    Not really sure this bike had that many weaknesses, but if it did it was just the tires.

Bottom Line:
If the new Specialized bikes are as good as this model was back then I would not be afraid of them at all, with an annual lube job, wash and clean, and some new tires and tubes I wonder just how many miles this great bike has gone. thousands I am sure as I commuted nearly 12 miles a day each way on it for years... Happy Biking and enjoy all!!

Favorite Trail:   City Streets

Purchased At:   Pennsylvania

Similar Products Used:   Older Schwinn 10 speeds.

Bike Setup:   extra low first gear with the new gears, 24 speed click shift, dual rear basket, front and rear lights, raised handle bars, and nice big cushioned seat now. Bottle holder, tire pump, and upright handle bars made this a great bike for a man nearly 50 yo. This was the blue frame with pink lettering model if you are family.

Submitted by Mattia76 a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Can't beat the sheer strength of the frame, or the value. I'm a stout dude rocking 220 and my 17-inch frame doesn't skip a beat or strain under the pressure. And I know this shouldn't matter, but this bike just looks SWEET. Electric blue and chrome are a great combo.

Weaknesses:    Of course the components could be better. Specifically, I'm going to replace the pedals soon and get some slicks for riding in the cit-ay. Also the cantilever brakes will need an upgrade (any suggestions would be welcome).

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a hybrid bike once I realized that bikes really bred for the trail weren't really my friend on the paved paths at Forest Park. After checking a couple of shops, I found that I was looking at a minimum of $420 to find something even close to my old Hardrock. So I had to find a new old one. I can't recommend it enough. If you're looking for a solid commuter, this bike hits the sweet spot!!

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   I bought one of these new with the aluminum frame and front suspension back in 1998, after owning a black 96 Hardrock. Rode the crap out of those bikes and sold the aluminum to a buddy (who's still riding it) 5 years back to buy a Stumpjumper. Worst bike mistake I ever made. I live in the middle of St. Louis City. I ride around Forest Park. After an EXHAUSTING 10 mile street ride to grad school one day on the StumpJumper, I realized I had been much happier on the Hardrock. It took me 4 years to get back on a bike, but I couldn't be happier now.

Bike Setup:   1997 Hardrock GX. Blue. NO suspension. A sight to behold. Shiny and almost new. Stock components. In a year or so I'll add a child's seat for my boy. Great fun to ride.

Submitted by jleake a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Strong frame, comfortable riding position

Weaknesses:    Gear set is too clunky and wheels are not strong enough. Mine collapsed.

Bottom Line:
Has something happened to Specialized's wheel makers? I used to have a 2000 Hardrock and used it for commuting around London for 7 years. The wheels just kept on turning - till the rims wore out simply from braking. That was OK - I'd got more than 10,000 miles out of them. My son also has an older Hardrock and hammers it round a mountain bike course every weekend, again without any problems.

Recently I got a new Hardrock - the 09 pro disk model with Alex Rims. Within four months the rear wheel has collapsed with three broken spokes. I have only used it for commuting in London. Looking at the spokes I can see why - they are much thinner and flimsier than the old ones.

What's more, this is the second Specialized bike I've had to have suffered a rear wheel collapse. The last one was a Rockhopper comp. I keep it for mountain biking but it too was less than a year old and had hardly been used. And I'd kept checking spoke tension.

I think Specialized have either skimped on the wheels or chosen a bad supplier. Either way it could be that you'd be risking a lot of hassle and cash if you go for the current Hardrock and Rockhopper models.
Jonathan, London

Purchased At:   Condor Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike kitted with smooth road tyres for daily commuting

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Essex

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    The frame is great to ride and is feels solid and it handles jumps and drop offs really well!

Weaknesses:    the oly thing i could possibly think of is the gearing, this is because when changing from 2nd to the 1st chainring on the front derailliuer the chain persisted on dismounting. The only other thing i coyuld say is that my trousers kept getting stuck it he front derailliur and now i have a foot ong rip up my favourite biking trousers, so quick hint do not wear very baggy trousers!

Bottom Line:
its a great bike that alot of people will enjoy riding i would recomend it to people who mainly ride cross country the brakes i thing are pretty good and are not to abrupt and have worked very well so far. the front FSR have taken a while to soften up but once they did they really cane into their own and soak up the bumps and roots a treat. the tyres sre great and provide great grip on most surfaces and the puncture resistant ness is a ausome extra.

Purchased At:   the cycle store

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   ??????????????????????

Submitted by Zach West a Cross Country Rider from B. L CA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is very sturdy and can handle a beating. It feels very comfortable for riding in the mountains.

Weaknesses:    The fork, V-Brakes, shifters, derailleurs, almost all the components.

Bottom Line:
I think the frame is a good starter bike, but some of the components are really weak. If you pick up the bike used a few hundred dollars in upgrades goes along way as far a beginner bike. It is worth the money for a starter and it is tough as hell. Because if you are like me and other beginners, you will fall a few times.

Favorite Trail:   Pogonip

Purchased At:   friend

Bike Setup:   Hayes solo brakes w/ 8" rotors, Shimano LX shifters, LX front and rear derailleur, Marzocchi Dirt Jam comp fork, etc.

Submitted by Dylan Heck a Cross Country Rider from Silverthorne

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2006

Strengths:    great storng good for every thing you would use it for good paint and very good for wheelies

Weaknesses:    tires suck and a little heavy

Bottom Line:
2006 hard rick is the best and looks sick to

Favorite Trail:   colorado

Purchased At:   mso

Bike Setup:   stock with kenda k rad tires and avid bb7 disk brakes

Submitted by Mike Barton a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Strengths:    Tough as nails. Has not broken in 4 years of mostly xc stuff.
Paint is really sturdy and has not scratched at all. With the longer travel fork it handles alot better. Great for all rider levels.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket creaks no matter what I do. Have changed it out twice and still the same old noise.

Bottom Line:
Paid $100 for the frame and stock post and Deore crankset and bottom bracket. This is a very tough bike and smoothes out the bumps with the seat post and forks. I am thinking about getting another full suspension bike because I'm getting older and the big bangs now get me.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn hardtail, Raleigh M7000, Dirt Works Piranha(still have).

Bike Setup:   1999 Specialized Hard Rock A-1 comp hardtail frame. Rock Shox Psylo SL. XT shifters, brakes, bottom bracket, cranks, head set, hubs. XTR derailleurs, cassette. White Bros. ti bars. Spcialized stem. Post modern seat post and Bontrager ceramic rims and seat.

Submitted by rj smiley from canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    (03) ligh wieght, good for starting, can handle bigger things with upgrades

Weaknesses:    crank set and bottum bracket arn't strong enough( i've gone through about 3 crank sets before finally getting new bottum brackey) forks need more travel i moved to an EXR seat is too hardm, better brakes needed

Bottom Line:
i like the bike, it lasted about 2 months before i dicided to upgrade, it's a great starting bike and is good for trail riding, smaller drops, and would be good for urban riding if it had better brakes

Favorite Trail:   urban riding

Purchased At:   martin bike shop southampton

Similar Products Used:   havn't bothered

Bike Setup:   truvative hussilfelt cranks, bomber EXR forks, roller pro tires

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Aarhus, DK

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    unbelievably solid, great feel for the weekend warrior and someone who wants a solid bike that wont break down. On the trail it feels like a tank, but goes like one too. Never been on high-speed trails/offroad but for west virginia logging roads you cant beat it.

Weaknesses:    front forks. Not a huge fan of front shocks but my hardrock would make your wrist sore in the first couple miles.

Bottom Line:
Moved to europe and that's the one thing i wish i still had. Not doing any downhill or major offroad action here, yet that old hardrock was as good on the nice flat roads here as any out there.

New taarnby is nice, front disk breaks, acera all around, omni sfront shock. But already experiencing problems i've not had thought the life of my specialized (rear wheel slip on a hard pull, unfixable derailer grind in certain gears).

it's sitting in a box back in the states, next flight in and i'm packing it in the plane with me, NO EXCEPTIONS hehe.

Favorite Trail:   coopers rock, West Virginia

Purchased At:   co-worker

Similar Products Used:   Taarnby Wild Creek.

Bike Setup:   All stock except new crank to replace the aluminum original crank which finally gave out on it's 5th year. It was a treeclimber before, now it's a bit too extreme and lacking top end i like having on the road with the new gearing.

Submitted by chris lowery a Cross Country Rider from western new york

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    This bike climbs like a goat. i dont have any problem climbing the steepest hills around here. The frame is pretty durable,i've done some 5-6 ft. drops with it and it handled them like a beast.

Weaknesses:    The stock fork is a rigid,so if your going to be wanting to do a lot of cross-country and want to have fun,you should probably upgrade forks. all the other parts on it get the job done.

Bottom Line:
If your going to start doing cross country,and are on a budget,find one of these. for about 500$'s total i have made this bike a blast to ride,sure its not the newest one out there,but they are definatley worth the money

Favorite Trail:   snowmobile trails around here

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   nothing,this thing rocks

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock Quadra 21,ritchey logic headset,stock

Submitted by jun salaya a Weekend Warrior from san jose , ca

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    durable frame

Weaknesses:    heavy, cheap components, not a mountain bike

Bottom Line:
I purchase this bike in 1994 for going around the block. A friend invited me at joseph grant and realized it is not a mountain bike.In 99, i purchased a santa cruz heckler, upon upgrading the heckler components, i transferred it to the hardrock, and now it has mostly LX and avid components with 9 speed, oh, man, this bike is a bonafide mountain bike, all components had been replaced, only framed was untouched,wow it now performs, its like a wolf in sheeps clothing. Hats-off to Specialize bike, what a frame, it is really taking a lot of beating. I take good care of this now, yes it is a lttle bit heavy, is fully restored. Friend or relatives who wants to start mountain biking, i loan this they always loved it. I know it sounds crazy, but one of this days, it will have a chris king headset.

Favorite Trail:   saratoga gap trail

Bike Setup:   upgraded now to shimano lx and now it's a real mountain bike

Submitted by Matt Neale a Cross Country Rider from Chirstchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    Great hillclimber. Good handling.

Weaknesses:    Crappy bottom bracket, GX (rigid) model doesn't fit standard shocks.

Bottom Line:
I take the bike out about 3 times a week, mainly uphill and single track. The Wharfedale track is known for being pretty brutal on any bike, although I've only suffered from a couple of bent wheels and a cracked fork. (The original rigid Cr-Mo one.)

I've had the HardRock longer than any of my previous bikes (4 years - my previous bike was an Avanti Hurricane which lasted about 6 months.) and it's still going, despite being abused well beyond what the owners manual says it should.
The bottom bracket broke after about 400Km so I put an LX one in, and have had no probs since.

Excellent value, I've had my moneys worth, I have yet to find a better handling hardtail, and, despite the Cr-Mo frame being a tad heavy, this puppy climbs with the best.

I'd reccomend this for intermediate riders on a student budget.

Favorite Trail:   Rapaki, Fringe Hill, Wharfedale