Specialized Hardrock Sport XC Hardtail

4.17/5 (181 Reviews)

ATB - All Terrain Bike
The bike for whoever you are, the Hardrock delivers utility and durability without ever missing a beat. Whether rollling across campus to class, heading home from work or out for a night on the town, you gotta be you, right? To do that you need a bike that's tough enough to take what you're dishing out, but quick enough to keep up with your many moods. From the not-somean streets to the back alleys and the toughest trails in your 'hood, every Hardrock delivers utility and durability without ever missing a beat. It's the perfect bike for you...whoever you are.

Submitted by kingdomtrails13

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    frame, seat , wheelset , weight , cranks

Weaknesses:    rear and frount derailer, fork , stock tires

Bottom Line:
I have the most upgraded 2013 HR on the planet , bought this 2013 green hardrock in sept 2012 after 20 years of being out of mtn biking. Wanted something inexpensive with a good brand name. Got it for 420 at a LBS , nothing fancy it has v brakes etc. Since then Ive really put this bike to the test. This bike has been to Kingdom trails / the Burke bike Park in VT and survived it twice, Ive put about 200 +miles on this ,about 80% out on the trails . Ive done DH and XC on this and all held up.The frame is light and has a really cool kawasaki green paint job. However, the stock components suck, I tore off the no name handle bars and stem and replaced with a easton monkybar and thomsen stem. replaced both of the derailers with deore xt in frount and alivo in rear with a new chain. going to add an easton seat post and deore xt V brakes,added Maxis Larsen LT tires , just down to the wheelset , cranks/bb and fork , might go up to 8 speed, can get all inexpensive parts online, but the bike is a great platform if you want to tinker around and get an idea as a beginner what parts work etc. I like this bike but regret not buying a hardrock sport disk .

Submitted by shlomo weiss

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    so far so good......it rides smoothly....haven't had to replace any parts....only tires and brake pads

Weaknesses:    does anyone know if it's best to trade in a bike like this for a new one....say once every 2 years?

Bottom Line:
nothing to add

Submitted by Adam a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Strengths:    I bought this bike around 3 months ago, since then I've taken It out to the local highland and down some trails, first off the weight is superb, very light. The forks are good and well balanced, the seat is very comfortable, for the price of 400 this is a good deal

Weaknesses:    But this bike is not the best, the disc brakes suck, the gears around 7 and 6 jump and the chain jams more than it should, the tires arnt very good and the grips need to be replaced as they jig around and slide. Apart from those it's good for the money considering these are problems you can work around I.e replacing disc rotors (cheap) grips, tires ect

Bottom Line:
All in all not a bad bike awesome frame nice forks good seat just needs a bit of work. This bike will be perfect for beginners for trails and mountain or even XC.

Submitted by JCB123

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Tough as nails, never breaks!

Weaknesses:    RST fork, plastic pedals, v-brakes

Bottom Line:
I bought my hardrock sport new in 2005 and it has been bashed, crashed, jumped and abused by a 200lb maniac for the past seven years and nothing has ever bent or broken, NOTHING!!! It's fantastic! The only parts I've ever replaced are the tires and brake pads. I recently upgraded to a specialized enduro so the hardrock gets a reprieve from the trails but still ride it to work everyday. I will keep this bike forever, I love it!

Submitted by Thubb

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Feels extremely solid, shifts smoother than I had imagined, and simply coasts downhill. Smooth ride overall. Got a few looks and (1) thumbs up while cruising yesterday. Lightweight as well. I've heard these can get kind of heavy.

Weaknesses:    Braking feels a little "dry", but road-worthy. Pedals feel cheap w/ the left being bent outward. Seat has nearly dug me a new bum-hole. <=This will be the first upgrade. Nothing other than that.

Bottom Line:
I am a newbie. Newbie being (Day 2) of my cycling experience. I bought this from a guy through Craigslist. He claims to have bought this brand new 4 years ago. The (only) reason I went with this over the Fuji 4.0 was this particular message baord. After riding (literally) through the night, and first thing this morning, I feel I've made a great desicion. I do plan to change out the "nobby" tires for something more slick (for added speed). I was thinking of making this a commuter, but I may just by a used "roadie" and make this a multi-purpose ride. I also passed up a Nishiki 18 Speed mtn as well. Didn't really like the build of that, plus the tires were (huge). Too much resistance for my pleasure. Thanks again guys and gals!!

Favorite Trail:   Will tell you after this weekend..

Purchased At:   Cragzlyst

Bike Setup:   Bone stock

Submitted by Russell Winfield a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Good strong frame and relatively light for the price range. Great Specialized tires that handle well on the trail. Comfortable bike to ride, very sturdy does not break.

Weaknesses:    Stock components are not great, stock fork not terrific.

Bottom Line:
For the price I firmly believe this is the best bike you can buy. I bought my 2008 Hardrock Sport in January of 2009 and it is still in great shape. Most of my riding has been on trials in Arizona and Utah. This bike has been able to handle just about everything though by this point my front suspension is starting to go out and the components are just not great. After some pretty serious abuse on advanced technical trails for the past year I have decided to upgrade and retire this baby to the shed to have as a back up. Conquered some pretty good trails including the famous rim, hidden canyon, and yellow trail on Gooseberry Mesa in southern Utah. Handled Moab like a champ though not as graciously has perhaps the more expensive bikes. Bottom line if you only have $400 and want a good bike, go Specialized Hardrock and you will not regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Big Springs - Provo Canyon

Purchased At:   Oro Valley Bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant Boulder, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Bike Setup:   All stock set up out of the Specialized dealer

Submitted by Jordan a Cross Country Rider from california

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    Frame is really strong and pretty light, has great disc brakes, has strong metal pedals, its a strong durable bike, and when i bought it used and tried for a few days I thought it was a $1000 bike(seriously)

Weaknesses:    nothing i can think of

Bottom Line:
I think this a perfect bike for a person who rides hard on dirt trails or rides around places like lake tahoe, strong pretty light durable bike. (if you get one get the specialized hardrock COMP DISC because it comes with te good features)

Favorite Trail:   going around lake tahoe

Purchased At:   bought it used but i

Submitted by rusty859 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ, United States

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Strengths:    Strong durable bike. Relatively light compared to similar makes at price. Rugged and dependable bike.

Weaknesses:    Basic components, entry level fork assembly. No disk brakes.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. The newer models 2006 or so until now are much better than the older ones you might see around town. Strong durable bike. I have taken this bike on some fairly strenuous trails and it has held up great. This past summer I took this bike on a pretty rough overnight ride in Utah, here is the link for the trail description, http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/windy.htm
The bike handled great and the only complaint was that with only v-brakes the downhill was almost more strenuous than the uphill. I would suggest going with the Hard Rock disk brake version.

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Trail

Purchased At:   Oro Valley Bike

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Gary Fisher Paramont, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock Hardrock

Submitted by Demonman a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good, strong frame, light and a good price for what you get.

Weaknesses:    Chain falls off too easily. Stock grips slide around and tear easily.

Bottom Line:
Purchased in spring of 2009, I was stuck trying to decide between this one and the Trek 3500. Picked this one because of the hot color and the slightly lower sale price even though the Trek MSRP was $30 lower. I have used it mostly on streets for my commute to work and occassionally on compacted dirt trails. At first the tires were a little too knobby , but the wear has made them quiet and smooth. I also found the ride a little too firm, but I am 50lbs heavier than the last time I rode regularly so it could be me. The bike now has about 1500 miles on it and other than a few scratches and replacing torn grips with new locking ones, I haven't had any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Shore Parkway Greenway

Purchased At:   Roy's Sheepshead Cyc

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Still stock in glossy yellow except for new Specialized locking grips.

Submitted by tattooedbodies a Downhiller from Missoula, Montana USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Strengths:    Love the frame. The double walled tires are durable, but heavy.

Weaknesses:    Components

Bottom Line:
It's stuff on the trails here, even with all the shale rock in the mountains. Would recommend to anyone. Looking for the soft tail now for even tougher trails.

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Santa Cruz, Schwin(higher models)

Bike Setup:   upgraded shock to Manatou w/6" rise. Upgraded pedals,rear derailer, front derailer, handle bar, rims, and discs.

Submitted by gamz a Weekend Warrior from san fernando valley

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    responsive and durable

Weaknesses:    stock crankset and rear derailluer

Bottom Line:
for the price, it's a decent bike. changing a few components makes a world of difference. overall experience has been positive, but i'm new to the movement. already looking at full suspension alternatives.

Favorite Trail:   tapia canyon - castaic, ca

Purchased At:   online - CL

Bike Setup:   practically stock, 3 upgrades that have made a huge difference - upgraded seat to serfas gel - upgraded rear derailluer to shimano deore - upgraded crankset to shimano deore

Submitted by Frenky King a Downhiller from Prague

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Frame - used for FR, DH, Dirt, Street, Enduro (Everything!)
All components has been changed, but frame and saddle are best ever!

Weaknesses:    Components exept saddle

Bottom Line:
I gave Hard Core to my Red Devil and it is standing still! 5 years of almost everyday ride (winter included). Best HT ever!

Bike Setup:   HR 2005, DirtJumper 2005, Shimano LX 203...

Submitted by boogie42 a Cross Country Rider from clinton,md

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Strengths:    durable frame,handles well,good geometry,decent components

Weaknesses:    bad seat, and pedals that's it!!!

Bottom Line:
I was extremely lucky to get this bike basically new off craigslist. Well built entry-level bike would recommend to anyone getting into mountain biking. The frame is amazingly responsive the geometry is great, the rims and tires are decent for the trails that I rode them on,but I will upgrade them soon,the rst gila is ok for mediocre trails I will upgrade those as well the drivetrain is decent and fairly responsive. This bike climbs really well and has a solid overall feel you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Favorite Trail:   custus trail

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   2000 fuji outand, 2006 gary fisher wahoo,2009 trek 820

Bike Setup:   2007 specialized hardrock sport basically stock,except shimano platform/clipless pedals,selle royal respiro seat,and bontrager bar ends

Submitted by 1 EYED JACK a Weekend Warrior from ENUMCLAW, WA USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2010

Strengths:    I LIKE THIS BIKE ROCK SOLID, I GOT A COUPLE GIRLS START RIDING THESE BIKE.THEY GOT SOME MORE FRIENDS. NOW WE RIDE & CAMP ON THE WEEKENDS 6 GUYS & 8 WOMEN WHAT A BLAST...

Weaknesses:    NEED BETTER BRAKES LIKE DISC WHAT I CHANGED OVER TO. ANY BIKE THAT COST MORE THAN 300.00 SHOULD HAVE DISC BRAKE....

Bottom Line:
LETS JUST RIDE & HAVE FUN...

Favorite Trail:   NEWAUKUM BACK COUNTRY TRAILS

Purchased At:   ENUMCLAW SNOW & BIKE

Similar Products Used:   I'VE USED OTHER BIKE BUT I LIKE SPECIALIZED SET UPS. MY BUDDY GOT A FIBER CARBON. THE ARE KOOL BUT I'LL STICK WITH MY BIKE. THGANK YOU VERY MUCH...

Bike Setup:   SET UP FOR DOWN HILL MOUNTAIN TRAIL SUMMER, WINTER I RIDE LOWWER LAND DO THE SNOW LEVEL. I DID DO SOME SNOW DOWN HILL. BUT HURTS TO MUCH WHEN YOU CRASH. I DON'T HAVE MEDICAL. SNOW DOWN HILL COST ME 30K ON MY CRASH...

Submitted by ChattRider a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, TN

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    I love the frame. I have a large frame and it just fits. It's tough and relatively light. All of my friends ride expensive fs bikes, and when we trade they all notice how much stronger even a cheap-o hardtail is when the trails go up. Very strong entry-level bike.

Weaknesses:    V-brakes... come on. Killed the d-hanger twice, but I ride pretty hard. Along with that, front fork went in a big way on a drop. Stock seat went at the same time.

Bottom Line:
I'm cheap, and so was the bike. I traded for an old kayak, and rode it almost the whole first season before I hit a jump too hard. The Manitou fork cracked at the top, bent the stays, and sheared off the left wheel mount... My face hit a rock and i got two nice scars (chin and nose). The seat went, also. The frame was fine! Took the opportunity to upgrade to current state, and still love the frame. If you are going to ride hard, take the time to figure out what you really want/need, then upgrade accordingly. Otherwise, a great bike. Very solid platform for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mountain, Grindnose ridge