Specialized Hardrock Sport Womens XC Hardtail

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

ATB - All Terrain Bike
The bike for whoever you are, the Hardrock delivers utility and durability without ever missing a beat. Whether rollling across campus to class, heading home from work or out for a night on the town, you gotta be you, right? To do that you need a bike that's tough enough to take what you're dishing out, but quick enough to keep up with your many moods. From the not-somean streets to the back alleys and the toughest trails in your 'hood, every Hardrock delivers utility and durability without ever missing a beat. It's the perfect bike for you...whoever you are.

Submitted by lhulse a Cross Country Rider from Loma Linda, CA 92354

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2008

Strengths:    AMAZING!!! Light enough to leave heavier mt bikes in the dust on the uphill, Durable frame, takes a ton of beating and abuse without falling apart, almost as cheap as a dumpy deparment store bike, but infinetly better and lasts forever!

Weaknesses:    rear derailler is loose and makes the whole bike "talk to you" on any washboard,
front suspension hardly exhists- are you "man enough to handle it"?, pedals cut deep into your calves making awesome scars for friends to admire.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price- it will take you to the next level and you'll love it so much you won't want to upgrade. I could keep up with the "big dogs" on their 3000 dollar bikes just fine and even passed them up with my little 300 dollar Hard Rock- HAHA! I do have scars in my calves from the numerous times the petals dug into me, but I suspect most mtbikes that are clipless will do the same, Honestly I think I could have raced this bike just fine if I had put some clipon pedals on it- wouldve been fun too! handles switchbacks and jumps fine- breaks wear out in the snow after a couple of rides. Probably would have kept it for anouther 5 years, but some idiot stole it while I was at work- on the plus side I only paid 325 for it so at least it wasn't a thousand dollar loss- Anyway, great bike, lots of memories, highly recommended for getting into mt biking.

Favorite Trail:   Catwalk and BTI of Ashland, Chucks Chips

Purchased At:   Siskiou Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   GT avalanche, felt comp

Bike Setup:   rst front suspension, shimano derailler, blablabla

Submitted by Rachel Bondi a Cross Country Rider from Manitoulin Island

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great bike for a starting mountain biker. The paint job was awesome. Very good value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Stem is too heavy. Shifters must be the cheapest available for trigger shifters as the plastic coverings fell apart within the first few weeks.

Bottom Line:
Great bike... for trails, around the home and to get to school.

Favorite Trail:   Fun @ Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   Outside Store - Sudbury

Similar Products Used:   Kona Makena, Trek MT220

Bike Setup:   Stock... Dad wants to upgrade my pedals to Shimano clipless and my shifters to at least Deore level shifters.

Submitted by ricky lawrence a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Solid frame

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Dont be put off by my price. Its high because I live in the UK and bikes arent as cheap as in the States. It was still cheap by UK standards.

I wanted to get my girlfriend interested in the sport and so went for a women specific frame as I thought her comfort should be top priority – components can always be upgraded later. In the price range, nothing else came close to offering the same value. As she's never done any off road riding, it'll be a long time before this bike hinders her skills.

The only fault is that the bike is heavy because the frame is unnecessarily tough. She'll never break it but neither would Dave Mirra. It has dirt Jumper strength. Not really necessary on an entry level bike. Specialized would have done better to sacrifice a bit of strength for a lighter bike. Still... this is the one to buy if you want to try the sport out. It should hold some of its resale too.

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery, UK

Bike Setup:   Stock setup

Submitted by Dina a Weekend Warrior from Hamden, CT

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    This bike fits me to a tee! I know I'm getting a very good frame, which is tough to find in a 13".

Weaknesses:    There are no weaknesses whatsoever!

Bottom Line:
I wanted a good bike in my size for not much money, and Specialized delivered. I know I'll never want or need another bike, because I have everything I want right here!

Favorite Trail:   the one that's underwater

Purchased At:   Amity Bikes

Bike Setup:   Just as I bought it from the shop.

Submitted by Christie a Weekend Warrior from Beaver Falls, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is great - different from others, so it stands out. It shifts well, has a great saddle, I love this bike.
Because it is women specific, it fits great. I have the 13" since I'm 5'1".

Weaknesses:    Because of the thickness of the frame, it is challenging to strap to a bike rack. The straps that came with my rack aren't long enough to fit around the frame. I had to buy a "tubetop" so I would be sure it wouldn't come loose on the rack. I've not encountered any problems at all with my bike. It seems a little heavy, weighs in at 30 lbs. But
its still light enough for me to load on the bike rack myself.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE MY BIKE!! It is great for someone who wants to get into mountain biking - wants a good bike, but doesn't want to spend a ton of money. If you want to upgrade later, you can. If you are a woman, get this women's specific bike - you'll be glad you did!

Favorite Trail:   None yet

Purchased At:   Snitgers Bikes in Beaver, PA

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd Gary Fisher Advance and GT Zaskar. The Advance felt good too, but was 21 speeds, this is 24 speeds and has a better derailer and pedals. The Zaskar was too horizontal for my needs.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup, but will be great for upgrades as my skills improve.

Hardrock sport womens

Anyone have any thought on the Specialized Hardrock sport womens. My wife really likes the bike and I love the price. This will be her first mountain bike and I am wondering if I should spend a little more on a bike for peice of mind. I just want to make sure what ever she gets last a while. [ ... Read More »

Specialized Hardrock Sport Womens vs. Scott Contessa 50

Looking for something inexpensive for the lady. [url]http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12279[/url] [url]http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=7872[/url] Similar price tags. Which of these would be best? Or maybe there is a third option that could be suggested (MSRP of $400 or lower ... Read More »

Rockhopper Womens or Hardrock Sport Womens?

my girlfriend needs a bike in the $600 or less price range she liked the rockhopper but does it have problems with shifting?Read More »

05 Specialized Rockhopper Womens vrs 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport Womens

my girlfriend keeps debating on which one to buy what are the pros and cons? is the Rockhopper worth the $150 more?Read More »