Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc XC Hardtail

4.32/5 (123 Reviews)

ATB - All Terrain Bike
The bike for whoever you are, the Hardrock delivers utility and durability without ever missing a beat. Whether rollling across campus to class, heading home from work or out for a night on the town, you gotta be you, right? To do that you need a bike that's tough enough to take what you're dishing out, but quick enough to keep up with your many moods. From the not-somean streets to the back alleys and the toughest trails in your 'hood, every Hardrock delivers utility and durability without ever missing a beat. It's the perfect bike for you...whoever you are.

Submitted by MrRoundel a Cross Country Rider from LA Suburbs

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Price, durability, build-quality

Weaknesses:    I've read about some weaknesses in the forks and the crankset, however, I have not had problems with the stock stuff on my '03.

Bottom Line:
While I'm new to mountain biking, I'm no stranger to quality builds. The obvious strength of the frame is what attracted me to the Hardrock. When I get back from a ride and my 54 year-old wrists and back are a bit sore, I wonder how this frame puts up with it. The ruts, the rocks, the downhill thrillers, nothing seems to bother this bike. The components seem adequate for a newby, and were in good shape when I got the bike. I picked up a some new shifters and new derailleur (stock) that I'll be installing soon, as there's a bit of play in the front D and the star adjuster on the front D mechanism is stripped. Still rides nice. I dig this bike and would recommend it to anyone looking for an entry level mountain bike. It's tough as nails.

Favorite Trail:   Chesebro Canyon

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Apple Krate. O.K., so I had a Continental after that but that was the last time I bought a bike. I started biking when my knees started pleading against my running. I'm likin' the bikin'.

Bike Setup:   Stock Shimano components: Acera FD, Diore RD, Shimano mechanical disc brakes, Alivio shifters, Alex rims, TruVativ crankset.

Submitted by iowinos a Cross Country Rider from KC, MO, US

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2011

Strengths:    Stout frame, decent parts spec for the price (aside from crappy fork): mech discs, splined bb

Weaknesses:    Terrible fork, had it warrantied twice and it never worked right. I'm not overly familiar with low-end fork internals, but fork would habitually lock out or blow through all travel (as if it no spring, which seem impossible). Everyone seems to have trouble with lower end SRAM/Avid brakes (for me they constantly rubbed early on), but once I put new retainers in these they actually worked well and are still on the bike.

Bottom Line:
For this extremely entry-level price tag, you really can't get more bike. The frame is stout and again at this level you won't find more durability and opportunity for upgrade. The bike is super heavy stock, but the whole thing has solid parts. Fork was the only real problem.

Favorite Trail:   Swope

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo and Dragon, Trek 7000, Schwinn Rocket88, older CroMo Specialized bikes

Bike Setup:   Now running the bike with LX drivetrain, Marzocchi DJ2 forks, Shimano/Sun wheelset. Essentially replaced evertying besides seatpost, stem, bar.

Submitted by nitzer280 a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver WA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Solid from front to back.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but just fine for the price I paid.

Bottom Line:
I've put about 350 miles on my Hard Rock this summer. For entry level, it is stellar. I love the discs and the 29" wheels. Shock is a little spongy but works just fine on the single track I ride. Shifting gets a little erratic as soon as the chain is slightly dirty so I have to clean it often. No worries. It's the first Specialized I've owned and it certainly won't be my last!

Favorite Trail:   Whipple Creek Horse Trail

Purchased At:   River City

Submitted by mbeeson a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    Really happy, with this HT, I haven't been MTN biking for about 8 years, the advances since then are amazing.

Weaknesses:    I'd prefer 9 gears on the rear

Bottom Line:
Excellent HT, I feel confident on the loose desert trails, looking forward to seeing how hard I can push it.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Las Vegas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   1996 ish Cannondale Killer V 500, 1998 Cannondale Super V 800 I think

Bike Setup:   Just changed the pedals to Candy C's

Submitted by tom Wright a Weekend Warrior from new york

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2010

Strengths:    Love it. hard as nails, I feel really safe and that I can rely on it in most situations whether that be steep descents, all day treks or drops at speed. It really is great. Frame solid, light, rims are (alex/specialized) are strong and light - no sign of buckling.

Weaknesses:    1) Forks were great for a long while, though recently have shown signs of the spring wearing as the lock out no longer entirely locks, so looking to upgrade with a rockshox tora (another great product stong, light, V-brake compatable, and its also airsprung so lock out will be more reliable, and more travel! (130mm) so toras are good if you wanna upgrade the forks.
2) The brakes! design fault! great, really responsive etc... UNTIL ridden a little too hard and the cap holding the fluid in fell off as its facing down! this happened 3-4 times and after continual bleeding decided to upgrade to front and rear Avid Juicy Carbon Disc Brake, more reliable, plus an upgrade in terms of performance.

Bottom Line:
great, solid, fell in love with it.

Favorite Trail:   canada

Purchased At:   finches

Similar Products Used:   gt avalance

Bike Setup:   monkey bars (purely for an upgrade - stonger and light) - nothing wrong with stock bars.

Submitted by JADA1998 a Downhiller from JACKSONVILLE ,FLORIDA ,USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    EVERY THING THE BIKE IS BUILT LIKE BRICKS

Weaknesses:    HAVEND FOUND NONE YET

Bottom Line:
VEARY FAST AGGRESSIVE BIKE WITH A RIDER THE SAME THE BEST HARDTAIL [DOWNHILL FREERIDE] USE BIKE IVE EVER HAD SEE YA ON THE TRAILS

Favorite Trail:   GRUNT AND MISERY ,BUNNY TRAIL, STREAMERS LANE, EVERY TRAIL AT SANTOS,AND HANNA PARK

Purchased At:   LAKE SHORE FITNESS A

Similar Products Used:   NONE MY FIRST REVIEW I MESSED UP ON SOMETHING.LOL

Bike Setup:   SPECIALIZED HARD ROCK.SPECIALIZED FAST TRACK TIRES.SRAM TRIGGER SHIFTERS.SRSUNTOUR XCT V2 100 MILO FORKS.SRSUNTOUR XCTV2 3 PC CRANK SET.[SINGLE SPEED SETUP].STOCK SPECIALIZED GEL SEAT.SRAM X4 REAR DERAILLUER

Submitted by bike_nerd a Cross Country Rider from Towson Maryland

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is bulletproof. It is a 2003 with the A1 Enhanced Aluminum frame. It handles ever thing the trail can throw it's way from rocks, drop offs, jumps, and stumps.

Weaknesses:    The Judy was a but of a heavy fork that came stock on the bike when I got it.

Bottom Line:
I love this frame, when I bought it weighed 32 pounds off the shelf, that was easily shaved off with some simple upgrades to bring the frame down to 26.5 pounds. It is the most reliable bike I have in my collection, and it is always up for the challenges that come my way on the trails. I would recommend this bike to anyone, if they still made it today.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Purchased At:   HTO

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Outland Pro

Bike Setup:   Fox F-100 RL, Chris King Headset, Bontrager Race Lite bars, XT shifters, XTR brake levers, Thompson stem and seat post, San Marco saddle, Bontrager Race lite Tubless wheels, XT rear and XTR front derailleur, Sram X0 Cassette, Sram 990 chain, Race Face Dues XC double crank with Enduro bottom bracket, Avid BB-7 Mechanical Disk Brakes, Teflon Cables, Crank Brothers Candy Ti Paddles.

Submitted by rickkastle a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    solid, bulletproof frame and componentry

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
Great hardtail. With the pro disc, it was the best tracking hard tail I have ridden.

Favorite Trail:   clementine loop

Purchased At:   through friend, who

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300 (non disc however), fetish discipline

Submitted by Herby a Downhiller from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2009

Strengths:    Solid, very light

Bottom Line:
I cracked my old frame (Pacific Beta from Toys'R'Us) and needed a replacement frame. Bought it from a friend who had the frame laying around for $150. I have used this bike for over 5 years. I use it for urban assault, DH trails, XC, city riding. Basically, I use it for everything. The hard tail frame is super strong and has taken a beating and keeps true.

Bottom Line: It might not be the fanciest bike around, but it holds with the best of them and keeps on going for years

Favorite Trail:   Tactical

Purchased At:   Used from a friend

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT, Avid Mechanical Disc, Judy 100TT

Submitted by humpjumper a Weekend Warrior from Haifa Israel

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    good overall package brakes drivetrain all work great and made no trouble at all.the tires are also sweet.

Weaknesses:    The suntour fork. before buing this bike iread all these favorable reviews but at the time no one had the 2008 model like mine so no one talked about the crappy forks.its not that they dont work theyre just way too soft for me (180lbs)and bottum out frequently.

Bottom Line:
if your looking for a great overall bike and your under 160 lbsand dont have alot of money to spend this is for you . if your over 160 lbs and have no money then think about replacing the fork because the stock one is a bummer.

Favorite Trail:   ofer

Purchased At:   Matzman&Merutz

Similar Products Used:   none this my first rig

Bike Setup:   all stock except Marz 33tst2 forks (that rock)

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from traverse city MI

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    strong frame, basically top of the line components for its time, great wheels, ultimatley beefy stem, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    orginal bashguard exploded within the first summer updated to a raceface aluminum one. the front fork can be finicky.

Bottom Line:
overall i like the bike it is a beast. i use it for everything i cross country ride, light freeride, some dirt jumps, street/urban, trials (it is a little heavy for this), alleycat races, and as a travel bike and it does all well. it doesnt shine through in one particular spot but is good at just about everything i run it on. i would highly recomend buying an 2006 or older one, NOT the new ones i checked up on their specks and they suck do not buy the new ones. to my knowledge the 2004 to 2007 was the years specalized hot rodded the hardrock and added good compoents and the like to make a worthwhile bike.it does everything i want it to with little manipualtion.

Favorite Trail:   vasa, state hospitial, street around town

Purchased At:   mcclains cylces

Similar Products Used:   i have rode an evil, jamis dakar (simliar price range, full suspension) thats about it for products simliar at price level. i never rode either of the other bikes for any real amount of time either.

Bike Setup:   basically stock i have added the race face bashguard and to date that is it for upgrades. i have however replaced some parts to date like the front axles (twice now), the bottom bracket (was a default bottom bracket covered by warranty), obviously a few tubes, i broke the shifter on a failed jump attemtp it was relativley cheap though.

Submitted by Duvivr6 a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome frame takes everything I throw at it! Mine is the 2003 version I bought new back then still ride it!

Weaknesses:    low end Shimano components but good enough to get you by if your a new rider, RS Judy wasn't the greatest either but not bad at this price range

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for a long time and I enjoy every second of it, have taken pretty big jumps and drops no problem and some pretty bad crashes.
I would advise anyone that is thinking about a hradrock to go for it!

Favorite Trail:   Nu-Draper

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle FL

Bike Setup:   03' HardRock 17" frame, RS Tora 302, XT quick shifters, XT front and rear der., truvativ stylo crank, shimano deore hubs and hydro disk brakes/center lock rotors, easton EA30 Seatpost, bontrager saddle, truvativ XR 90mm Stem, easton monkeylite bar

Submitted by hottroddr a Weekend Warrior from tulare,ca. USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    very beefy and well constructed for us big guys

Weaknesses:    front and rear derailleurs are annoying always need adjusting.could shift a lot better. cranks are noisy under pressure. fork is a little weak(SR Suntour). avid bb5 w/6 inch rotors are not quite up to the task. me and bike together weigh about 260 lbs,so come down the mountain at 40+ mph,a brake upgrade was definitely in order!

Bottom Line:
great entry level hardtail for the money. really cant go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   one headlight